USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've had cats for over 40 years. Not one piece of destroyed furniture, and never heard whining or crying to go outside. Give them something to scratch that they know they can scratch and like to scratch, and they'll scratch that and nothing else. Liter box? I use clumping liter and scoop it out daily. It's clean, never smells, I'm happy, the cat is happy.

Have you ever had a cat?

Guys I appreciate the concern but no I'm not concerned with furniture or litter. He litters inside whether he goes out or not, so that's a nonissue, and the furniture is old and easily replaced. The whining doesn't really bother me either. The reality is he's an explorer and even if I try to keep him in he'll find a way out eventually --- and if he's been kept in a long time when he does break out, I figure the chances are he's gonna roam further afield -- perhaps vertically -- to make up for lost time. Plus, putting all that energy and attention into keeping him in would in a way imprison ME. I like to go in and out at will as well.

I'm really counting on what BBD said - that when he gets hungry enough he'll come down, and after sending rescue personnel up there twice already, this is just something he's got to teach himself. Once he gets over this dilemma, if he doesn't have the sense to not climb again he'll at least have the experience of descending. And I watched him working on descent recently on a smaller tree.

I figure this is just one of the harder parts of being a pet owner (or parent); sooner or later baby bird has to be kicked out of the nest to learn to fly, so to speak. It's in his nature to roam and hunt, which he also does inside, which is what I pay him for. I'd rather keep true to his nature even if it means these hurdles. Nature can be a harsh mistress but She's just gonna have to take her course.

I'll tell ya, if he had a clear shot down and just JUMPED down, he'd walk away like nothing happened. Cats are tougher than SNOT. They are incredibly durable little critters. I highly doubt Hobbes will stay in that tree until he's dead. His instincts won't let him. So just wait him out, and hope an owl or other bird of prey or a better climbing cat like a Bob Cat doesn't get him before he decides sitting there isn't the smartest thing to do.

Yep, all of that ran through my head the last two times. There are definitely owls around these parts, and hawks in the daytime.

This time he does have a clear shot to some lower branches if he wants to take it in stages, one level at a time. He doesn't seem to have figured that out -- yet. Maybe I'll take a flip chart out there and diagram it for him. Like a football play. :eusa_shifty:

There is only one way the driver could have got out to take that picture. Must have crawled out through the hatchback, and climbed over the vehicle. It's obvious the vehicle could not advance, the only way out is to put it in reverse, and back away slowly. Better yet, leave the vehicle, and walk away on foot. Most important though, if this pic hasn't been photoshopped, the driver needs to be evaluated for inability to distinguish between risk taking, and having suicidal tendencies.

That's either Photoshopped, or else the side of the mountain just fell away leaving this tiny bit left. It appears there's a driver in there, with wheels turned to the left. And he's probably getting the right side of his paint job scratched too.

All of which makes me wonder....

Who's taking the picture? :eusa_think:
I'm hoping that the pic was really photoshopped. Otherwise, if the driver is indeed inside the Jeep, and a passenger got out through the back, and climbed over the vehicle to take the pic, both have completely lost their minds. The safest thing to do there would be to just crawl out the back and walk away.

I'm sure it's photoshopped....nobody would be that crazy.....on the other hand, hmmmm..:D

I have had had finger/hand, back of leg and midway on my arm where it folds eczema since I was a kid... Along with severe allergies. It only happens on my fingers/thumbs these days when it does... I made the mistake of doing yard work, pulling weeds, trees etc without gloves more than once and now I am enjoying a chronic case of it on 2 fingers and both thumbs. I am a Designer/Engineer/OM and I use my hands from computer to puck to mouse to paper to boxes all fucking day and I am honestly about to cut my hands off.

The best part about eczema is that they don't know what causes it and they can't cure it.

There are plenty of "remedies' and the best they do is to settle it and keep it from spreading.
Holy fuck I hate this shit.

How is your morning?

:)

peace...

I have had good luck using DMSO, which is a natural sulfur product. it makes your skin soft, and is supposed to help eczema. I can't post links yet, but google dmso, eczema, and there are good articles about it.
Even if it doesn't get rid of it, it might at least make it better. Worth a try.

I'm sure it's photoshopped....nobody would be that crazy.....on the other hand, hmmmm..:D

I think it is obviously photo-shopped. The car could not get there in the first place, and the driver couldn't get out w/o upsetting the car. No one could. And who could be taking the picture? No realism in this picture.

Last edited:
I have had had finger/hand, back of leg and midway on my arm where it folds eczema since I was a kid... Along with severe allergies. It only happens on my fingers/thumbs these days when it does... I made the mistake of doing yard work, pulling weeds, trees etc without gloves more than once and now I am enjoying a chronic case of it on 2 fingers and both thumbs. I am a Designer/Engineer/OM and I use my hands from computer to puck to mouse to paper to boxes all fucking day and I am honestly about to cut my hands off.

The best part about eczema is that they don't know what causes it and they can't cure it.

There are plenty of "remedies' and the best they do is to settle it and keep it from spreading.

How is your morning?

peace...

I have had good luck using DMSO, which is a natural sulfur product. it makes your skin soft, and is supposed to help eczema. I can't post links yet, but google dmso, eczema, and there are good articles about it.
Even if it doesn't get rid of it, it might at least make it better. Worth a try.

DMSO - forgot all about that stuff. I might even have some. My Dad used to bring it home from the lab and it was always in the house.

This is the road to the top of Mount Washington.....I have been on it twice, once in a car and once on a motorcycle. Going up in a car was way far scarier than the motorcycle...maybe cause with motorcycle you could get farther away from the edge.

They have a train that takes you up, too, but it goes straight up...it seems, wish now I had done that one, too.

th
th
330882757_640.jpg

2004-08-08-014.jpg

3710019.jpg

How is your morning?

peace...

Hello LadySunshine.....hope you enjoy posting here....:)

Hmmm... I did just get a new chainsaw... :eusa_think:

With the number of trees around here and the way they grow (and the rainfall), IF I could get no new trees to sprout up I can have that done by about ... 2036.

Better get started.

A chainsaw would get Hobbes out of a tree, surely. At least, it would make the tree more accessible to you in order to save him.

You mean I could fell a smaller tree and then use it to pole vault up to him?

Hmm... might try that.

He's up there still - I went up with his bright orange food bowl and waved it around yelling "CRUNCHIES!" -- he did get the idea but as before his only solution was to move laterally on branches.

He's still out there trying to figure it out. So is the bowl. He's been through at least two rainstorms up there.

How many days has Hobbes been up that tree? You said he's been through 2 rain storms up there? I think it's probably true, he needs to figure out for himself how to get down. Do you have one of those long step ladders, the type you lean on a building, not the folding kind? Or can you borrow one? Maybe lean it up against the tree?
stock-photo-step-ladder-lean-against-the-tree-77103046.jpg

Hello folks, have missed you all these past couple of days!
Saw Tracy last night, she came to class to teach, but didn't do much. Very tired and looks unwell still. Wobbled around a bit but she became a bit perkier toward the end. She is on the mend, at least. Not sure if I will see her next week, I hope so, though!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Pretties loved climbing...but I was lucky and she never climbed trees. BUT..she did sprint up AND down....drumroll...LADDERS. Thats how she would get up on the roof of the house, the sheds, the garage. We had ladders for her because she so loved climbing on them...and I had the brainstorm to let her climb up on the house so I put the ladder there so she could. And she did. So the ladder idea on the tree is a good one.

A warm Coffee Shop welcome to CeeCee and LadySunshine who joined us for the first time this evening. We hope you'll find a niche to your liking here and that the Coffee Shop will be the refuge from all the craziness out there for you as it is for most of us. Your first timers complimentary beverages:

two-cups-cappuccino-13964058.jpg

And to all. . . .

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and friend Tracy,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Stat's aunt,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel
Ollie, Mrs O and family in the loss of their Angie,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, Sunshine, Jake and Hobbes.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Foxfyre, thank you for both the warm welcome to the Coffee Shop and for the Cappuccino; it was just the way I like it !
You know I will for sure be coming back to the Coffee Shop a whole lot more, and looking forward to the company and good conversation with everyone.

PS Are there donuts or apple fritters , maybe ???

Foxfyre, thank you for both the warm welcome to the Coffee Shop and for the Cappuccino; it was just the way I like it !
You know I will for sure be coming back to the Coffee Shop a whole lot more, and looking forward to the company and good conversation with everyone.

PS Are there donuts or apple fritters , maybe ???

Welcome to the Coffee Shop ... and it's not just because of your classic avatar, although, it seems like a good start..:)

Pretties loved climbing...but I was lucky and she never climbed trees. BUT..she did sprint up AND down....drumroll...LADDERS. Thats how she would get up on the roof of the house, the sheds, the garage. We had ladders for her because she so loved climbing on them...and I had the brainstorm to let her climb up on the house so I put the ladder there so she could. And she did. So the ladder idea on the tree is a good one.

Some cats will do it. All they need is to observe people climbing up and down ladders, and they will get the idea and do it themselves.

I had a cat who did 'human' things without being taught. She used the toilet sometimes, for example, but I never taught her to or encouraged her to. She would eat with her 'hand.' She would pick up wet food (canned food) from her dish with her paw and eat out of her paw. What she didn't eat and lick off her paw, she'd shake off. There would always be a bit of food on the wall over her food dish. It was interesting, and I never punished her for those things or tried to break those habits. Each animal has his or her own personality. This is the cat I've mentioned before who packed her kittens and herself in a small case ready to move on moving day.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back