USMB Coffee Shop IV

CeeCee is cool. I met her awhile back while on vacation here, lol. So...I brought her with me this time when I got "home" here. :)

61.jpg

Have you considered chopping down all trees in, say, a 20 KM radius of your abode?

:D

Hmmm... I did just get a new chainsaw... :eusa_think:

With the number of trees around here and the way they grow (and the rainfall), IF I could get no new trees to sprout up I can have that done by about ... 2036.

Better get started.

A chainsaw would get Hobbes out of a tree, surely. At least, it would make the tree more accessible to you in order to save him.

You mean I could fell a smaller tree and then use it to pole vault up to him?

Hmm... might try that.

He's up there still - I went up with his bright orange food bowl and waved it around yelling "CRUNCHIES!" -- he did get the idea but as before his only solution was to move laterally on branches.

He's still out there trying to figure it out. So is the bowl. He's been through at least two rainstorms up there.

how did someone get out of the car to take the picture. more than likely, while it isn't photoshopped, it probablly was staged. more than likely that is a very intense section of an otherwisw more managable trail. where i grew up there was a fire road to the top of this mountain called high mountain. most of the road was pretty easy driving, but there was one section that was washed out. there was about a 30' section that had a straight drop off of about 150'. going down the hill your left tire was right on the edge of the drop off and you right was slightly on the uphill embankment. So you were tilted maybe 10- 15 degrees to the left. sitting in the driver seat you were looking directly over the edge. we used to always take picture there because it looked really intense. once you got past that section it was a regular dirt road through the woods.
Ask Bloodrock about some ordinary roads in northern West Virginia. We call them WV Turnpikes and they're so scary you want to drive with your eyes closed.

Oh lordy, we lived in W VA for four months in the mid 80's and it was white knuckle time for me whenever we went anywhere the whole time. And we were going pretty much the whole time, especially on weekends. Folks out there not only were driving on impossible roads but the only speed they knew was 'bat out of hell' and faster than that. And a lot of the paved roads were fascinating in that they were only paved in the middle so you could keep one side of our car on pavement to keep you from getting stuck in the mud during the frequent heavy down pours. Absolutely gorgeous country though. I am so glad we did it.

[Emphasis added]

That is so true, and flying over that beautiful area in a small plane was a thrill I'll never forget. I spent two months there and loved every day. :thup:

With the number of trees around here and the way they grow (and the rainfall), IF I could get no new trees to sprout up I can have that done by about ... 2036.

Better get started.

A chainsaw would get Hobbes out of a tree, surely. At least, it would make the tree more accessible to you in order to save him.

Hmm... might try that.

He's up there still - I went up with his bright orange food bowl and waved it around yelling "CRUNCHIES!" -- he did get the idea but as before his only solution was to move laterally on branches.

He's still out there trying to figure it out. So is the bowl. He's been through at least two rainstorms up there.

When the cat gets hungry enough it will come down.

Better get started.

Hmm... might try that.

I actually empathise with him, being quite frightened of heights myself.

The picture looks too old to be photoshoped. The Jeep looks like about a 68-70, somewhere in there, WHO would have been dumb enough to do that? It looks to me to be inches from falling off... absolutely insane.

how did someone get out of the car to take the picture. more than likely, while it isn't photoshopped, it probablly was staged. more than likely that is a very intense section of an otherwisw more managable trail. where i grew up there was a fire road to the top of this mountain called high mountain. most of the road was pretty easy driving, but there was one section that was washed out. there was about a 30' section that had a straight drop off of about 150'. going down the hill your left tire was right on the edge of the drop off and you right was slightly on the uphill embankment. So you were tilted maybe 10- 15 degrees to the left. sitting in the driver seat you were looking directly over the edge. we used to always take picture there because it looked really intense. once you got past that section it was a regular dirt road through the woods.
Ask Bloodrock about some ordinary roads in northern West Virginia. We call them WV Turnpikes and they're so scary you want to drive with your eyes closed.

I know the area pretty well. we used to do a lot of 4 wheeling in the GW national forest, seneca rocks and eve some in the wayne national forest. plus I've done a fair about of bike riding through the area. Some amazing hiking in W Va too. Spruce knob, you would never even think you were on the East coast

Better get started.

Hmm... might try that.

OK... I think that there's the outside chance that Hobbes is a cat that is actually afraid of heights. Stranger things have happened. He climbs the tree not thinking of getting back down, then he's stuck.

So the way I see it, you have two choices, Pogo, one, keep letting him outside and this happens over and over and over, or, keep him inside.

What is the problem with just keeping him inside... to avoid this?

All it would take is one time for my cat to do that, and she wouldn't go outside. They're just too precious.

Last edited:
Come on out to Colorado. You could try some of our more "scenic" roads.....

976862456_iJH92-O.jpg

23l._MG_1795.San_Juan_Mtns_fs.jpg

Just not in your RV........ :eusa_whistle:

There is a road that leads out of a small town called "Ouray", and that road winds around a steep mountain pass for about 10 miles until you hit the Million Dollar Highway (well, actually, that deadly road is part of the Million Dollar Highway) - the scariest moment of my life driving that stretch of road.

I've been here.....
There is only one way the driver could have got out to take that picture. Must have crawled out through the hatchback, and climbed over the vehicle. It's obvious the vehicle could not advance, the only way out is to put it in reverse, and back away slowly. Better yet, leave the vehicle, and walk away on foot. Most important though, if this pic hasn't been photoshopped, the driver needs to be evaluated for inability to distinguish between risk taking, and having suicidal tendencies.

Hmm... might try that.

OK... I think that there's the outside chance that Hobbes is a cat that is actually afraid of heights. Stranger things have happened. He climbs the tree not thinking of getting back down, then he's stuck.

So the way I see it, you have two choices, Pogo, one, keep letting him outside and this happens over and over and over, or, keep him inside.

All it would take is one time for my cat to do that, and she wouldn't go outside. They're just too precious.

While I agree that making him an inside cat is a good solution, there are some negatives involved. Destroyed furniture, whining and crying to go outside, and having to deal with a frequently used litterbox all come to mind.

Of course, those things might be worth the peace of mind knowing he isn't stuck up a tree yet again. :lol:

Hmm... might try that.

While I agree that making him an inside cat is a good solution, there are some negatives involved. Destroyed furniture, whining and crying to go outside, and having to deal with a frequently used litterbox all come to mind.

Of course, those things might be worth the peace of mind knowing he isn't stuck up a tree yet again. :lol:
I've had cats for over 40 years. Not one piece of destroyed furniture, and never heard whining or crying to go outside. Give them something to scratch that they know they can scratch and like to scratch, and they'll scratch that and nothing else. Liter box? I use clumping liter and scoop it out daily. It's clean, never smells, I'm happy, the cat is happy.

Have you ever had a cat?

Last edited:

I've had cats for over 40 years. Not one piece of destroyed furniture, and never heard whining or crying to go outside. Give them something to scratch that they know they can scratch and like to scratch, and they'll scratch that and nothing else. Liter box? I use clumping liter and scoop it out daily. It's clean, never smells, I'm happy, the cat is happy.

Have you ever had a cat?

Guys I appreciate the concern but no I'm not concerned with furniture or litter. He litters inside whether he goes out or not, so that's a nonissue, and the furniture is old and easily replaced. The whining doesn't really bother me either. The reality is he's an explorer and even if I try to keep him in he'll find a way out eventually --- and if he's been kept in a long time when he does break out, I figure the chances are he's gonna roam further afield -- perhaps vertically -- to make up for lost time. Plus, putting all that energy and attention into keeping him in would in a way imprison ME. I like to go in and out at will as well.

I'm really counting on what BBD said - that when he gets hungry enough he'll come down, and after sending rescue personnel up there twice already, this is just something he's got to teach himself. Once he gets over this dilemma, if he doesn't have the sense to not climb again he'll at least have the experience of descending. And I watched him working on descent recently on a smaller tree.

I figure this is just one of the harder parts of being a pet owner (or parent); sooner or later baby bird has to be kicked out of the nest to learn to fly, so to speak. It's in his nature to roam and hunt, which he also does inside, which is what I pay him for. I'd rather keep true to his nature even if it means these hurdles. Nature can be a harsh mistress but She's just gonna have to take her course.

There is a road that leads out of a small town called "Ouray", and that road winds around a steep mountain pass for about 10 miles until you hit the Million Dollar Highway (well, actually, that deadly road is part of the Million Dollar Highway) - the scariest moment of my life driving that stretch of road.

I've been here.....
There is only one way the driver could have got out to take that picture. Must have crawled out through the hatchback, and climbed over the vehicle. It's obvious the vehicle could not advance, the only way out is to put it in reverse, and back away slowly. Better yet, leave the vehicle, and walk away on foot. Most important though, if this pic hasn't been photoshopped, the driver needs to be evaluated for inability to distinguish between risk taking, and having suicidal tendencies.

That's either Photoshopped, or else the side of the mountain just fell away leaving this tiny bit left. It appears there's a driver in there, with wheels turned to the left. And he's probably getting the right side of his paint job scratched too.

All of which makes me wonder....

Who's taking the picture? :eusa_think:

Have you ever had a cat?

Guys I appreciate the concern but no I'm not concerned with furniture or litter. He litters inside whether he goes out or not, so that's a nonissue, and the furniture is old and easily replaced. The whining doesn't really bother me either. The reality is he's an explorer and even if I try to keep him in he'll find a way out eventually --- and if he's been kept in a long time when he does break out, I figure the chances are he's gonna roam further afield -- perhaps vertically -- to make up for lost time. Plus, putting all that energy and attention into keeping him in would in a way imprison ME. I like to go in and out at will as well.

I'm really counting on what BBD said - that when he gets hungry enough he'll come down, and after sending rescue personnel up there twice already, this is just something he's got to teach himself. Once he gets over this dilemma, if he doesn't have the sense to not climb again he'll at least have the experience of descending. And I watched him working on descent recently on a smaller tree.

I figure this is just one of the harder parts of being a pet owner (or parent); sooner or later baby bird has to be kicked out of the nest to learn to fly, so to speak. It's in his nature to roam and hunt, which he also does inside, which is what I pay him for. I'd rather keep true to his nature even if it means these hurdles. Nature can be a harsh mistress but She's just gonna have to take her course.
I'll tell ya, if he had a clear shot down and just JUMPED down, he'd walk away like nothing happened. Cats are tougher than SNOT. They are incredibly durable little critters. I highly doubt Hobbes will stay in that tree until he's dead. His instincts won't let him. So just wait him out, and hope an owl or other bird of prey or a better climbing cat like a Bob Cat doesn't get him before he decides sitting there isn't the smartest thing to do.

Last edited:
I've been here.....

That's either Photoshopped, or else the side of the mountain just fell away leaving this tiny bit left. It appears there's a driver in there, with wheels turned to the left. And he's probably getting the right side of his paint job scratched too.

All of which makes me wonder....

Who's taking the picture? :eusa_think:
I'm hoping that the pic was really photoshopped. Otherwise, if the driver is indeed inside the Jeep, and a passenger got out through the back, and climbed over the vehicle to take the pic, both have completely lost their minds. The safest thing to do there would be to just crawl out the back and walk away.

Forum List

Back