USMB Coffee Shop IV

One of my former sister-in-laws called the first six weeks of the year "Cake Days". Mom and Pop's wedding anniversary was January 20 and we always celebrated with a cake. Then my birthday falls nine days later. Again with the cake. As soon as our glucose levels fell back to earth, Mom's birthday comes along on February 13th. Yet more cake!

We would mix them up. White sheet cake for anniversaries, devil's food is my favorite birthday cake and yellow cake with chocolate frosting for Mom.

Pies are great during the holidays. Cherry, Apple, pecan and mincemeat at every Christmas. Pumpkin and lemon meringue at Thanksgiving. Whew!

But the mid winter Cake Days took the.... Oh hell, it's too easy!

Last edited:
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.
Drifter for resolution of difficult situation,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Dalia, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Endings can be so beautiful. Especially when they are followed by a beginning.
foggy-autumn-morning.jpg

One of my former sister-in-laws called the first six weeks of the year "Cake Days". Mom and Pop's wedding anniversary was January 20 and we always celebrated with a cake. Then my birthday falls nine days later. Again with the cake. As soon as our glucose levels fell back to earth, Mom's birthday comes along on February 13th. Yet more cake!

We would mix them up. White sheet cake for anniversaries, devil's food is my favorite birthday cake and yellow cake with chocolate frosting for Mom.

Pies are great during the holidays. Cherry, Apple, pecan and mincemeat at every Christmas. Pumpkin and lemon meringue at Thanksgiving. Whew!

There are three cakes that I only ever liked; Pineapple upside down cake, Carrot cake and Black Forest cake (the real German kind not the crappy, sickly sweet American versions).

Went to bed early but woke up with a sore neck around 3:45 that wouldn't let me go back to sleep. Probably due to the fact I've been physically busy getting things done around the house which includes some moderately heavy lifting (even with the painful shoulder). Probably why the shoulder's not healing as fast as it should.
Of course getting these things done means messing up the house again as more boxes are gone through, items removed for sale/donation, put out for use (oh I was looking for that category) or consolidated for later (I want to think about it before getting rid of it category).

There are three cakes that I only ever liked; Pineapple upside down cake, Carrot cake and Black Forest cake (the real German kind not the crappy, sickly sweet American versions).
I like a nice spice cake with the cream cheese icing. I can't do German Chocolate due to the coconut. Angel food during strawberry season is indispensable.

I saw a show called Cake Boss. It was generally pretty silly, but they used something called fondant. It looked like spackle wrapped around a cake. I wonder what it tastes like?

I like a nice spice cake with the cream cheese icing. I can't do German Chocolate due to the coconut. Angel food during strawberry season is indispensable.

I saw a show called Cake Boss. It was generally pretty silly, but they used something called fondant. It looked like spackle wrapped around a cake. I wonder what it tastes like?
Black Forest cake is not German Chocolate cake though it is German chocolate, no coconut, two different cakes.

Black Forest cake is not German Chocolate cake though it is German chocolate, no coconut, two different cakes.
I know. Black Forest has cherries, or at least cherry liqueur, right? Anyway, I can explain the snot out of a Ho-Ho!

Last edited:
Went to bed early but woke up with a sore neck around 3:45 that wouldn't let me go back to sleep. Probably due to the fact I've been physically busy getting things done around the house which includes some moderately heavy lifting (even with the painful shoulder). Probably why the shoulder's not healing as fast as it should.
Of course getting these things done means messing up the house again as more boxes are gone through, items removed for sale/donation, put out for use (oh I was looking for that category) or consolidated for later (I want to think about it before getting rid of it category).

We need to do that too. One more back closet to clean out and then the garage. Boxes and boxes and boxes, some packed in Kansas more than 30 years ago.

I know. Black Forest has cherries, or at least cherry liqueur, right? Anyway, I can explain the snot out of a Ho-Ho!

Presumably the authentic European recipe for Black Forest Cake is here:
Authentic Black Forest Cake Schwarzwald Kirsch Kuchen) Recipe - Genius Kitchen

And I would imagine it would be pretty rare here in the USA as I had never heard of 'kirsch' and would imagine that even professional chefs don't stock it in their kitchens.

And I would imagine it would be pretty rare here in the USA as I had never heard of 'kirsch' and would imagine that even professional chefs don't stock it in their kitchens.

You can buy cherry brandy liquor pretty much anywhere here in the USA. :)

I was just asking my employer about fondant this morning, because there is apparently some in the gingerbread house making kits we got this year. She said she does not think most people actually eat fondant, it is more decorative. I, of course, will try it anyway when it comes time to eat the gingerbread houses. :p

That's because you have bad taste in food. :lol:

What about ice cream cake? ;)

They gave me kirschwasser as an aperitif when I was in Germany. Cherry brandy is the stuff. So points to peach for recognizing the stuff.

The German waiters and waitresses would bring a shot of liquor with the menus and another shot with the bill. In the meantime they would ply you with tankards of beer during the meal. Eating out meant also staggering out!

I was there during the May Day celebration. The town I stayed in was a charming village called Anneweiller. The place looked like a pastiche of Germany, even though it was actually Germany. Women swept the sidewalks and curbs in front of their homes using brooms with long tapered bristles made of green nylon. The brooms were in the style of what we Americans would recognize as witche's brooms.

I was driving around sightseeing one Saturday morning on the back roads. I saw a big maintenance truck with a curious looking hydraulic arm springing from the right rear corner. The arm had at its working end, a barrel shaped and sized brush rotating and cleaning the guardrail. The Germans are fastidious.

But on May Day they go ape shot nuts! Kids egged houses, litter was strewn about and even the phone booth suffered broken glass. I guess you can pen up all that tidiness just so long before something blows.

There was a May Pole duly danced around and woven with colorful ribbons courtesy of the grammar school kids. They pitched a great tent where two or three hundred villagers gathered to drink beer and sing and hobnob with each other.

One of the villagers wore a confederate kepi, the gray cap with a cheese box shaped crown and patent leather brim. In my broken German (them damn Germans got a different word for everything!) I tried to explain the Rebel yell.

"Yee! Haw!" I shouted in my best Red River imitation.

My Teutonic friend answered "Yahoo!"

"No, not 'Yahoo'. It's 'Yee Haw!" I explained.

"Yahoo" he shouted back.

The whole rebel yell concept was lost on him. But he loved to yell! We drew a few admonishing glance our way from the reserved Germans. They may have excused me because I was a foreigner. But I have a feeling my rebel yell buddy was just the village character who was being tolerated for the holiday's sake.

I will admit to making a few faux pas during my visit there. The first morning I went down from my room above a local bistro and went into the dining room. There was a lavish buffet spread on one of the tables for breakfast. Thinly sliced ham, cheeses, hard rolls, boiled eggs sat surrounded by carafes of fruit juices and baskets of apples and pears. One guy sat at the table eating away. I helped myself to some fruit and rolls with some tasty lingonberry jelly. A cup of strong black coffee and a tumbler of orange juice and I took a seat at the far end of the room. The lone diner at the table gave me an incredulous look. I said "Morgan!" as that is how I heard Germans greet each other at the start of the day.

When I got back to my room later that evening there was a note pinned to my door.

"If you would like a breakfast, please alert the staff and they will prepare one for you."

It seems that the breakfast buffet was laid out for that one lone diner. I just walked up and took food away that was rightfully his.

God bless the ugly American!

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.
Drifter for resolution of difficult situation,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Dalia, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Have courage and be kind.
562bd580a1db01942a55a798049f1f35.jpg

I made a traditional Black Forest cake once...for a church social at a church where alcohol is forbidden. :eek: Took three days to make and the kirsch was easy to find - I was young and didn't stop to think that a liqueur is more than mere 'flavoring', it is alcohol (buying it at a liquor store should have been my first clue). A very nice lady took me aside and gently asked, Honey, is there alcohol in that cake? I was horrified. btw - Kirsch is a type of brandy, but not sweet. I know these things now.

In confessing one food related sin, I may as well come totally clean and confess another. We had some good friends, a family of five, who had religious based dietary restrictions of which I was well aware. One taboo was pork. They were coming over for dinner and I wanted to serve a meatless appetizer. I decided on a 7 layer taco dip - it has cheese, lettuce, etc. layered over bean dip mixed with sour cream or cream cheese served with tortilla chips. They absolutely loved it...ate it all. Many months later, as I was making another dish calling for bean dip, I happened to read the ingredient label. Bean dip has pork fat in it. I felt terrible - but didn't have the courage to ever tell them.

From that time forward - I always ask dinner guests about dietary restrictions, or allergies beforehand, and pay attention to the ingredients in the food I'm serving.

:)

I made a traditional Black Forest cake once...for a church social at a church where alcohol is forbidden. :eek: Took three days to make and the kirsch was easy to find - I was young and didn't stop to think that a liqueur is more than mere 'flavoring', it is alcohol (buying it at a liquor store should have been my first clue). A very nice lady took me aside and gently asked, Honey, is there alcohol in that cake? I was horrified. btw - Kirsch is a type of brandy, but not sweet. I know these things now.

In confessing one food related sin, I may as well come totally clean and confess another. We had some good friends, a family of five, who had religious based dietary restrictions of which I was well aware. One taboo was pork. They were coming over for dinner and I wanted to serve a meatless appetizer. I decided on a 7 layer taco dip - it has cheese, lettuce, etc. layered over bean dip mixed with sour cream or cream cheese served with tortilla chips. They absolutely loved it...ate it all. Many months later, as I was making another dish calling for bean dip, I happened to read the ingredient label. Bean dip has pork fat in it. I felt terrible - but didn't have the courage to ever tell them.

From that time forward - I always ask dinner guests about dietary restrictions, or allergies beforehand, and pay attention to the ingredients in the food I'm serving.

:)

I do likewise, but if I commit such an inadvertent faux pas, and it does happen, and there is no reason to believe there will be repercussions, I don't fess up either. And there have never been repercussions.

Forum List

Back