USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well I am up at 5.30 am having laid awake since 3.00. I do this every day now as I only seem to need three hours sleep these days.

Hombre has been having the same problem. . .waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. and can't go back to sleep. Of course he goes to bed at 9 or 10 so he is getting 6 hours of sleep which may be enough though 8 hours is recommended for folks our age. So tonight I sent him to bed with 2 extra strength acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) PM plus 1 naproxen. That works for me.

Tylenol PMs work pretty good. I've taken them before.

Well I can't say I remember most, but there are some I do remember. :)

Finally finished the wife's dresser, her Christmas present.

Before;

Dresser 1.JPG

Ringel05 That's beautiful. I have been looking and looking for a dresser like that for a back bedroom. If you run across another one please alert me. Or I may just redo an old 1950's era blond chester drawers that is out in the garage. Do you have to take all the old finish off or just sand it some?

Last edited:
There are still 2 items I purchased through ebay for the little one for Christmas which have not arrived. Both came from overseas and had large windows for estimated delivery times, but both were estimated to arrive before Christmas (one by the 11th, one by today). I'm hoping to get lucky and have them show up in the next few days, but I'm not really expecting it at this point. One was just a little thing that caught my eye, and I wouldn't feel too bad about giving up on and getting a refund, but the other is a multi-colored light that I got for the little one to use as a night-light. She likes to have the TV on when she goes to sleep, and also has a string of Christmas lights over her closet door. What I ordered would project a bunch of light dots on her wall or ceiling, sort of a disco-ball look. I wanted to give her that one for Christmas, but now I'm thinking I won't get to. :(

That's what I get for buying from sellers halfway around the world!

There are still 2 items I purchased through ebay for the little one for Christmas which have not arrived. Both came from overseas and had large windows for estimated delivery times, but both were estimated to arrive before Christmas (one by the 11th, one by today). I'm hoping to get lucky and have them show up in the next few days, but I'm not really expecting it at this point. One was just a little thing that caught my eye, and I wouldn't feel too bad about giving up on and getting a refund, but the other is a multi-colored light that I got for the little one to use as a night-light. She likes to have the TV on when she goes to sleep, and also has a string of Christmas lights over her closet door. What I ordered would project a bunch of light dots on her wall or ceiling, sort of a disco-ball look. I wanted to give her that one for Christmas, but now I'm thinking I won't get to. :(

That's what I get for buying from sellers halfway around the world!

Maybe they'll come. I try to buy all that kind of stuff through Amazon that has proved to not only always get the order right but they get it to me on time and in good shape. But we have had good service from others too.

I have gone through major fits trying to get Obamacare started for 2018. Finally got the coupon book for my plan yesterday. I have to send it in before 1/1/2018. Problem is I am eligible for an Obamacare plan through the post office now. That one looks to cost eighty dollars a month more, but lower copays and it has dental insurance included. Hopefully I can get this figured out tonight and either send in the check or sign up for the other plan. Insurance, thy name is not simplicity.

Just so you all know, my posting here was often a way to keep my mind busy in an often boring job. It was a big help. Now I am super busy learning a new job and making real life what it should have been. I hope to get in here a bit more, so I can keep up the social contacts, but it will have to be just little bits here and there for now. Just wanted you to know I appreciate one and all.

Ringel05 That's beautiful. I have been looking and looking for a dresser like that for a back bedroom. If you run across another one please alert me. Or I may just redo an old 1950's era blond chester drawers that is out in the garage. Do you have to take all the old finish off or just sand it some?
Depends on the finish. If it's varnished or polyurethaned then you need to strip that off with stripper, same if it has multiple layers of paint. Then comes the sanding starting with 80 grit then 120 grit then 220 grit. Once you're done with the 220 grit wipe the whole thing down with a damp rag or sponge, let it dry then go over it again with 0000 steel wool. If it's just color stained or lightly painted then skip the stripping and 80 grit and start with the 120 grit. I use an orbital sander but finish the sanding off by hand with 500 grit before wiping it down and using steel wool on it.

Like Chris, I googled it so I know. But how cute.

What search terms can you have used to find a picture like that? Tiny fur ball in the palm of hand?

You search the picture itself. If you have Chrome, you just right click on it and choose search image on google. And the picture will come up.

And it is amazing how often it is right. When I right clicked and searched on your avatar, however, it came back with an identification of 'autumn'. :)

My avatar gets an I.D. of 'cartoon'.

Nosmo's avatar of "Daisy" is IDed as "companion dog",

Montro's bears is IDed as "do brown bears eat. . .",

Drifter's avatar is "Christmas fashion sketch",

and Ringel's is accurately identified as "pirates of the caribbean jack". :)

That was all of us that appear on the page right now.

Last edited:
Depends on the finish. If it's varnished or polyurethaned then you need to strip that off with stripper, same if it has multiple layers of paint. Then comes the sanding starting with 80 grit then 120 grit then 220 grit. Once you're done with the 220 grit wipe the whole thing down with a damp rag or sponge, let it dry then go over it again with 0000 steel wool. If it's just color stained or lightly painted then skip the stripping and 80 grit and start with the 120 grit. I use an orbital sander but finish the sanding off by hand with 500 grit before wiping it down and using steel wool on it.

And if it is veneer (which I'm pretty sure it is) forget the whole thing?

Last edited:

And if it is veneer forget the whole thing?
If it's real wood veneer you're okay, if it's vinyl or plastic then you have to sand the whole thing with at least a 220 grit for the paint to adhere.

I have gone through major fits trying to get Obamacare started for 2018. Finally got the coupon book for my plan yesterday. I have to send it in before 1/1/2018. Problem is I am eligible for an Obamacare plan through the post office now. That one looks to cost eighty dollars a month more, but lower copays and it has dental insurance included. Hopefully I can get this figured out tonight and either send in the check or sign up for the other plan. Insurance, thy name is not simplicity.

I haven't had insurance (or seen a doctor) in 20+ years. Complicated insurance might be better than none. :p

Forum List

Back