USMB Coffee Shop IV

24991433_1402036366585568_6738613473430546609_n.jpg

Winter has come...

Is it time to sit at home, or a time to travel? :)
I suppose that depends, where will you travel to, and how much you might like hunkering down in the winter cold. Me, I love to hunker down. It's snowing right now, has been all day. I split some wood and am now ready to settle down with a good book, keeping the fire stoked. Travel, meh, not so much my cup of tea.

Winter has come...

Good morning everybody. And to Sbiker, I always looked at winter as the time to be guilt free that I wasn't outside doing something constructive, a time for hot chocolate and hearty stews and jigsaw puzzles that just don't feel right in the summer. I don't think of it as a time to travel, but if one does travel, it feels like it is supposed to get away from ice, snow, and cold and to palm trees and wonderful beaches.

I love that tall ship in your photo though. A museum piece? I have always wanted to attend the event in Boston Harbor where the tall ships are sailed and are on display. On my bucket list of things to do before I die.
tumblr_m6qvibFotC1qewb27o1_1280.jpg

It's a museum reconstruction of ship of XVIII century. A good example, what people in my town built at this place 300 years ago... Cannons are original :)

I agree with you about hot chocolate - and I drinking hot coffee right now... But ancient Russians used winter for travels, because it's time, when they could use rivers as roads - an only good roads here for a centuries :))) And I understand them after some years of working trips during winter :) It's a real good, silent time to visit many interesting places in different towns... Offcourse, periodically having hot tea, coffee, maybe hot wine or vodka or cognac or something else :)
We still use ice roads in Alaska. A lot of heavy equipment is moved over ice that would never get where it is needed an other way.

I've been teasing the little one occasionally by telling her I'm getting her a bunch of coal for Christmas. Well, I wrapped up a few boxes and put charcoal briquettes in them, and was going to tease her Christmas morning by making it appear I really had given her just coal.....but in the last box, I would also put a little card letting her know to go look somewhere else to get her actually presents. My employer has nixed that idea; she's afraid the little one would just be sad and disappointed, rather than find it funny. :p

I've been teasing the little one occasionally by telling her I'm getting her a bunch of coal for Christmas. Well, I wrapped up a few boxes and put charcoal briquettes in them, and was going to tease her Christmas morning by making it appear I really had given her just coal.....but in the last box, I would also put a little card letting her know to go look somewhere else to get her actually presents. My employer has nixed that idea; she's afraid the little one would just be sad and disappointed, rather than find it funny. :p
I agree. I was once warned that children don't really "get" sarcasm, either.

Two months ago I woke up at 4 or 5 in the morning, because I was concerned about finding work. Now I wake up then to go to work. In hindsight, I wish I could have just left the dealership last year when the new owners arrived. Could have made one transition instead of two. Hopefully I can fast track my way to a career position and really make something out of this.

Winter has come...

Good morning everybody. And to Sbiker, I always looked at winter as the time to be guilt free that I wasn't outside doing something constructive, a time for hot chocolate and hearty stews and jigsaw puzzles that just don't feel right in the summer. I don't think of it as a time to travel, but if one does travel, it feels like it is supposed to get away from ice, snow, and cold and to palm trees and wonderful beaches.

I love that tall ship in your photo though. A museum piece? I have always wanted to attend the event in Boston Harbor where the tall ships are sailed and are on display. On my bucket list of things to do before I die.
tumblr_m6qvibFotC1qewb27o1_1280.jpg

It's a museum reconstruction of ship of XVIII century. A good example, what people in my town built at this place 300 years ago... Cannons are original :)

I agree with you about hot chocolate - and I drinking hot coffee right now... But ancient Russians used winter for travels, because it's time, when they could use rivers as roads - an only good roads here for a centuries :))) And I understand them after some years of working trips during winter :) It's a real good, silent time to visit many interesting places in different towns... Offcourse, periodically having hot tea, coffee, maybe hot wine or vodka or cognac or something else :)
We still use ice roads in Alaska. A lot of heavy equipment is moved over ice that would never get where it is needed an other way.
Ya need yourself a Ural Baikal......... :eusa_whistle:

Welcome

Yeah, she is too young, IMO. They don't take those kinds of jokes well at that age. :D

Well I am up at 5.30 am having laid awake since 3.00. I do this every day now as I only seem to need three hours sleep these days.

Well I am up at 5.30 am having laid awake since 3.00. I do this every day now as I only seem to need three hours sleep these days.

Hombre has been having the same problem. . .waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. and can't go back to sleep. Of course he goes to bed at 9 or 10 so he is getting 6 hours of sleep which may be enough though 8 hours is recommended for folks our age. So tonight I sent him to bed with 2 extra strength acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) PM plus 1 naproxen. That works for me.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
Boedicca's dad and family,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

55075bdc9ed0955b02ad655b0712701a.jpg

Winter has come...

I suppose that depends, where will you travel to, and how much you might like hunkering down in the winter cold. Me, I love to hunker down. It's snowing right now, has been all day. I split some wood and am now ready to settle down with a good book, keeping the fire stoked. Travel, meh, not so much my cup of tea.

I used to love to travel but these days we like our own bed at night, our own coffee pot and routine in the mornings. So we do most of our travel via documentaries and TV travelogues and books.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back