USMB Coffee Shop IV

Supposed to be in the low 60's here tomorrow. :( That's not good. That's not good.
And we broke 32 degrees Fahrenheit today! Yippee! The snow is melting and sliding down the roof in sheets. Every time another batch of it comes loose it sounds like skyrockets are going off right outside. The sounds of winter are dimming, cars skidding up the steep hill out front, the scrape of snow shovels on sidewalks, conversations muffled by snow heard a block away.

Gray cloud shrouded skies are the norm still. With the warmer weather comes morsnow. But today the guessers at the Narional Weather Service are thinking more of a frozen mix of snow and sleet. But, it's warmer! I'll always take warmer in January.

Rain right now. Rain rain rain and for the next week...more rain. Then two days respite...then another week of rain. Good. We need it. And I want that creek flowing again behind the house.

Welp - we've had our week of 20's. Ready for the mid 80's now - swimmin' weather, please.

It was in the mid-teens when we left N. Va - that kinda cold hurts. Though a 4th generation Floridian, I've lived in the North - Indiana, Michigan and Colorado - and the distinct season changes are pretty special, but winter brrr. I don't like cold weather as an adult. (although of the three, Colorado winter was different somehow - maybe the majesty of the mountains makes up for the cold.)

I got a wedding invitation in the mail today. The affair is scheduled for February 10, the weekend before St. Valentine's Day. So I anticipate a lot of red and pink and white there.

My problem with weddings is the dancing. I am not graceful by any stretch of the imagination. My dancing style is, well, have you ever seen a video of a new born colt when she first tries to stand and take her first step? I wish I were that graceful. People have compared my dancing with a dog trying to get out of a swimming pool.

But I love the food and the idea of an open bar! I went to a wedding on Long Island at a venue set up for lavish affairs. There was a massive deck and boardwalk fronting along Island sound. There were waiters and waitresses throwing hor d'ourves at us like Shriners tossing candy from a parade float. Roaming musicians entertained us with steel drums, guitars, conga drums and accordions. The dinner featured a choice of filet mignon or some chicken dish, guess what I had.

I sought out the father of the bride to thank him for the experience. He might just as well written a check for a top of the line Mercedes Benz as that wedding. A stark contrast to the 'American Legion' weddings held here in the Rust Belt. The wedding fare here is served buffet style with your choice of rigatoni slathered in tomato sauce, fried chicken or London broil. Women bake cookies for months before the wedding day and a sheet cake with the name of the bride and groom written in butter cream frosting is served up to the strains of the Electric Slide from the DJ's sound system.

Saturday January 20, 2018 would have been Mom and Pop's 65th wedding anniversary. They married on a Tuesday, the day Eisenhower was inaugurated for his first term. It rained ice on Mom when she went out on the steps of the church to be pelted with rice. Instead she got a face full of sleet as the guests had retired to the church basement to enjoy a boiled ham sandwich on white rolls.

Weddings have changed!

I got a wedding invitation in the mail today. The affair is scheduled for February 10, the weekend before St. Valentine's Day. So I anticipate a lot of red and pink and white there.

My problem with weddings is the dancing. I am not graceful by any stretch of the imagination. My dancing style is, well, have you ever seen a video of a new born colt when she first tries to stand and take her first step? I wish I were that graceful. People have compared my dancing with a dog trying to get out of a swimming pool.

But I love the food and the idea of an open bar! I went to a wedding on Long Island at a venue set up for lavish affairs. There was a massive deck and boardwalk fronting along Island sound. There were waiters and waitresses throwing hor d'ourves at us like Shriners tossing candy from a parade float. Roaming musicians entertained us with steel drums, guitars, conga drums and accordions. The dinner featured a choice of filet mignon or some chicken dish, guess what I had.

I sought out the father of the bride to thank him for the experience. He might just as well written a check for a top of the line Mercedes Benz as that wedding. A stark contrast to the 'American Legion' weddings held here in the Rust Belt. The wedding fare here is served buffet style with your choice of rigatoni slathered in tomato sauce, fried chicken or London broil. Women bake cookies for months before the wedding day and a sheet cake with the name of the bride and groom written in butter cream frosting is served up to the strains of the Electric Slide from the DJ's sound system.

Saturday January 20, 2018 would have been Mom and Pop's 65th wedding anniversary. They married on a Tuesday, the day Eisenhower was inaugurated for his first term. It rained ice on Mom when she went out on the steps of the church to be pelted with rice. Instead she got a face full of sleet as the guests had retired to the church basement to enjoy a boiled ham sandwich on white rolls.

Weddings have changed!

I don't dance, I don't drink alcohol, and I'm a picky eater....weddings suck. :lol:

I confess, faced with 40 pages of catch-up, I came to the end of the CS first. We're now a week into the new year and I seem to have missed Christmas here entirely. That doesn't alter my best wishes for all of you and hope that each and every one of you thrive and find your happiness, this year and every year after.
I've been watching the weather and we Alaskans are feeling the pain a lot of you have been experiencing. OK, well, maybe a little bit. I woke up New Year's night to the sound of snow sluffing off the roof and melt water dripping after it. Of course, whenever we have a winter melt, the resulting ice makes life...challenging. I suppose we should have our share of challenges, heh?
Christmas dinner was tuna casserole here. Christmas isn't a big deal, not as important as the Solstice. The turning of the year is significant in my Nature-grounded world. Of course, when sunrise is around 10:30 and sunset 3:30, those short days wear on you. We call it cabin fever here.
New Year's Eve was postponed for me because as I was driving home the neighbor called and told me he had one of my dogs, the other had run off. I've been having problems with the farm dogs lately. So I called my guests and asked them if they minded a delay. George, who was stressing about a job he had to get to in a few days, was relieved. Alan preferred to get here during daylight hours, so New Year's day was better for him, too. So, I actually had time to do justice to the meal I had planned. I made my first Beef Wellington (with green pepper sauce). After overcoming the sticker shock induced by the sirloin roast required by the recipe, the meal was delicious! It's definitely a special occasion meal, though. The bread pudding for dessert was a great complement to finish the meal.
Happy New Year (belated) to everyone!

The Job interview went fine and I went home and slept. I have vapor rub on my chest. I hope this clears up quickly.
Hopefully the vapor rub helps clear things up. The job interview should bring good tidings.

It always makes me smile when I see you post and know you and all of your critters ect. are okay GW. We just watched Alabama squeeze out a win over Georgia in overtime in tonight's championship game. We were emotionally pulling for both teams but maybe a wee bit more for Georgia as the decided underdog.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Montro's upset tummy,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing,
Saveliberty for success on the test and career,
Gracie for the best news possible,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Here's to the great variety in winter experience for our Coffee Shop family
winter-vs-summer-lesson-plan-4-3.jpg

The Job interview went fine and I went home and slept. I have vapor rub on my chest. I hope this clears up quickly.
Hot tea, lemon, honey, whiskey. Drink it. :D
Stay warm. Get as much rest as you can. Drink A LOT of fluids. Eat some oranges daily. Keep the vapor rub on your chest. Stick some on yer nose too so you inhale it. STAY WARM. Eat chicken soup. Repeat all the above for as long as needed. :smiliehug:

And there is GallantWarrior!! Good to see you finally get here. You've been muchly missed.
So what is going on with the farm dogs? Why did one run off? Cabin fever for him too? You take care of yourself, you hear? And give me a call the next time you feel like yakking again!

Meanwhile...beef wellington? I always wanted to try that. Maybe someday. :)

Hmm ! My computer had a start up problem since the last big update for windows 10, but it seems to have sorted itself out now. Oh well, I am off to the dentists for a 6 monthly check up, Usually my teeth are ok and I have not had to have any fillings for years, so here's hoping they will be ok today.

Well, I mentioned I had a check up at the dentists and I just got back. She gave me the good news that I don't need any fillings as usual. But then she gave me the very, very bad news that I have early signs of gum disease.
She said it could end up resulting in my having to have all my good teeth removed. BUMMER !

Forum List

Back