USMB Coffee Shop IV

I was able to plug the laptop hard drive into my main PC and get the data from it. Of course, I foolishly tried to do it in my secondary PC first, forgetting that since the laptop was running Linux, Windows probably wouldn't recognize it. That was some unnecessary frustration, but after connection it while in my Linux boot in the main PC, I was able to transfer the data from it. I might just format the drive and see if I have something to mount it and use it as an extra drive in one of my PCs.

Now I have to decide if I want to buy a cheap laptop or desktop to use as a media machine, or if I want to upgrade my main PC and put together a third PC on my own with some of the extra parts I have, or just use my second PC with the TV and accept that I won't be able to do anything on that PC while the little one is watching things in my room. :dunno:

I was able to plug the laptop hard drive into my main PC and get the data from it. Of course, I foolishly tried to do it in my secondary PC first, forgetting that since the laptop was running Linux, Windows probably wouldn't recognize it. That was some unnecessary frustration, but after connection it while in my Linux boot in the main PC, I was able to transfer the data from it. I might just format the drive and see if I have something to mount it and use it as an extra drive in one of my PCs.

Now I have to decide if I want to buy a cheap laptop or desktop to use as a media machine, or if I want to upgrade my main PC and put together a third PC on my own with some of the extra parts I have, or just use my second PC with the TV and accept that I won't be able to do anything on that PC while the little one is watching things in my room. :dunno:

I admire anybody who even contemplates stuff like that. For myself, I recognize a computer when I see one two out of three times and I usually am able to figure out how to plug one into its power source and turn it on. That's about the limit of my high tech expertise. But as Einstein says up there, we all have our area of genius. (If I can just figure out what mine is.)

Last edited:

I admire anybody who even contemplates stuff like that. For myself, I recognize a computer when I see one two out of three times and I usually am able how to plug one into its power source and turn it on. That's about the limit of my high tech expertise. But as Einstein says up there, we all have our area of genius. (If I can just figure out what mine is.)

There's really not that much to what I did. There are only a couple of places where the laptop can easily be opened up, and one of those has the hard drive. It has the same connections as the hard drives in my PCs, so I just unplugged one of my backup drives and plugged the laptop drive in. Plus, whenever I'm doing something I'm unsure of on the PC, I use another PC to look up what to do on the web. :p

I admire anybody who even contemplates stuff like that. For myself, I recognize a computer when I see one two out of three times and I usually am able how to plug one into its power source and turn it on. That's about the limit of my high tech expertise. But as Einstein says up there, we all have our area of genius. (If I can just figure out what mine is.)

There's really not that much to what I did. There are only a couple of places where the laptop can easily be opened up, and one of those has the hard drive. It has the same connections as the hard drives in my PCs, so I just unplugged one of my backup drives and plugged the laptop drive in. Plus, whenever I'm doing something I'm unsure of on the PC, I use another PC to look up what to do on the web. :p

Don't sell yourself short. I would guess that most of us, even most of us here in the Coffee Shop, would never attempt doing something like that.

But then I am working on coming up with a vegan enchilada to serve one of my dinner guests on Saturday. I'm guess there are some in the Coffee Shop who wouldn't attempt that either. (I am hoping that I don't regret it.)

Here's one that's pretty good.

https://binged.it/2E5hozy

th

Don't sell yourself short. I would guess that most of us, even most of us here in the Coffee Shop, would never attempt doing something like that.

But then I am working on coming up with a vegan enchilada to serve one of my dinner guests on Saturday. I'm guess there are some in the Coffee Shop who wouldn't attempt that either. (I am hoping that I don't regret it.)

Eww! :p

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter,
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Esthermoon, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.
19de9581a6261fa1a175620c85f83dd7.jpg

Hopefully today was a more positive day, Gracie! :) Maybe some yoga and meditation/relaxation exercises could help you and Mr. Gracie with your "spiritual" well being, for lack of a better word.
I am dragging myself out tomorrow..off to the Rez to get a couple cartons of cigs. Taking a friend with me. Then I will stop off at Casey's house and give him a new stuffed toy to gnaw on. It will be my outting day, I guess. Not thrilled to go..but...I gotta.
Once I get back home...my meditation will be deciding what color to paint the jelly fish. :)

Pink and purple! :D
Pink and purple are not my colors. And, the table is teal/royal blue/rust. I think I will make them off white..palest blue with a smidge of rust veins in the caps. Then again...I might go pale yellow and rust. I have the paints ready. The table top is ready. I'm just freaking out cuz I have never done jellies before..so I am procrastinating.

I have the paints ready. The table top is ready. I'm just freaking out cuz I have never done jellies before..so I am procrastinating.

Tell Mr. G to take off his shirt and use his back as a canvas... Practice... If it doesn't work out just tell him to put his shirt back on...

The recipe Gracie found would probably work except this person is allergic to almost everything, including soy, wheat, eggs, and is gluten/intolerant and she can't eat any dairy of any type and won't eat any meat, poultry, or fish. So finding ways to prepare attractive and tasty meals that she can eat is always challenging. But I usually manage to have something. It is a little easier now that I can use some sugar--she has been a type II diabetic to boot but once her allergies forced her onto the rigid diet restrictions, her doctor now tells her that she is no longer diabetic.

But anyway I figured out how to make a green chili enchilada sauce and can use gluten free corn tortillas (which we prefer in our enchiladas anyway) and using a filler of beans and veggies had developed what should be an acceptable vegan enchilada. And then she advised us that Saturday is the day for her spiritual routine so she can't do any socializing on Saturday, and she returns home to L.A. on Sunday, so I guess the dinner is off--she is staying with Aunt Betty as she is the niece of my late Uncle Ed. Oh well.

Going to be some changes at my place. Before long I’m going to bring the 5th wheel up to the house, completely unload it, clean it up good and put it up for sale. Mrs. BBD has told me that her camping days are over. I guess all good things come to an end sooner or later. She says when we travel from now on she wants to stay in a hotel. Somebody is going to get a great deal on a 2016 31 foot Wildcat model 282RKX 5th wheel camper! It was fun while it lasted!

Going to be some changes at my place. Before long I’m going to bring the 5th wheel up to the house, completely unload it, clean it up good and put it up for sale. Mrs. BBD has told me that her camping days are over. I guess all good things come to an end sooner or later. She says when we travel from now on she wants to stay in a hotel. Somebody is going to get a great deal on a 2016 31 foot Wildcat model 282RKX 5th wheel camper! It was fun while it lasted!

Well BBD, when one door closes there is another one that opens up...

keep-mama-happy-sale-pic.jpg

I am with Mrs. BBD. Camping is great unless the mom/wife/lady friend or whatever is the one doing all the cooking in a cramped motor home or on the campfire, doing all the clean up, making sure provisions are laid in for the duration, and you still have floors to sweep, beds to make, the stove, sink, fridge, bathrooms etc. to clean up. Even when the guys help with all that, the women usually are more attentive to the details. Plus just setting up for the camping trip takes a lot of effort, packing, toting, of stuff you don't need or want in a nice hotel.

Even visiting friends or family isn't always so much a vacation for the wife as she feels obligated to help with the cooking, setting the table, clean up, making beds in the morning, etc. even when the host family doesn't expect that. The guys never seem to feel the same degree of obligation.

So yeah, these days a vacation with a nice, clean motel room with all the amenities and maid service, and meals in a restaurant where you don't have to cook or clean up, is much more appealing to me than camping or even spending time up at the cabin where we have to pack in everything we use, clean the cabin and pack everything out when we leave.

Still I have enjoyed camping over the years very much and still love to go see people. But sometimes we just need a bit of pampering ourselves. :)

I am with Mrs. BBD. Camping is great unless the mom/wife/lady friend or whatever is the one doing all the cooking in a cramped motor home or on the campfire, doing all the clean up, making sure provisions are laid in for the duration, and you still have floors to sweep, beds to make, the stove, sink, fridge, bathrooms etc. to clean up. Even when the guys help with all that, the women usually are more attentive to the details. Plus just setting up for the camping trip takes a lot of effort, packing, toting, of stuff you don't need or want in a nice hotel.

Even visiting friends or family isn't always so much a vacation for the wife as she feels obligated to help with the cooking, setting the table, clean up, making beds in the morning, etc. even when the host family doesn't expect that. The guys never seem to feel the same degree of obligation.

So yeah, these days a vacation with a nice, clean motel room with all the amenities and maid service, and meals in a restaurant where you don't have to cook or clean up, is much more appealing to me than camping or even spending time up at the cabin where we have to pack in everything we use, clean the cabin and pack everything out when we leave.

Still I have enjoyed camping over the years very much and still love to go see people. But sometimes we just need a bit of pampering ourselves. :)
I'm reminded of this ...

Many years ago (mid-70s) I was in the Air Force and stationed in Alaska. Of course, we bought a camper and took advantage of the hunting and fishing.

One day we were fishing for king salmon. My wife and two kids (ages 4 and 6) were hanging out at the campsite while I was unsuccessfully trying to catch a fish. When I came back to the campground, I told the boys to pick up the camper.

My oldest, in his infinite wisdom, pointed at his mother and said, "What did we bring her for?"

It's been 40 years and I STILL hear about it .... and I wasn't even the one who said it.

(For what it's worth, she is NOT her favorite son ... I suspect there is a connection.)

There are those days. I just now spent considerable effort trying to get my computer to delete the unwanted character on the text when I finally figured out it was a spot on the computer screen. :oops:

And then I have been watching a lot of the Olympic trials to determine which of our athletes will complete during the glorious two weeks of the winter Olympics. I love the Olympics with all the pomp and ceremony and all the national flags flying and national pride and athletes competing for the sheer joy of the competition. . .

. . .until. . .I read the Drudge headlines tonight and saw that they are passing out a record number of condoms this year. 37 per athlete? Really? Have they added an event I don't know about??????

There are those days. I just now spent considerable effort trying to get my computer to delete the unwanted character on the text when I finally figured out it was a spot on the computer screen. :oops:

And then I have been watching a lot of the Olympic trials to determine which of our athletes will complete during the glorious two weeks of the winter Olympics. I love the Olympics with all the pomp and ceremony and all the national flags flying and national pride and athletes competing for the sheer joy of the competition. . .

. . .until. . .I read the Drudge headlines tonight and saw that they are passing out a record number of condoms this year. 37 per athlete? Really? Have they added an event I don't know about??????

Maybe, given the skin tight nature of some of the suits worn for some events (luge, speed skating, ski jumping), a condom could serve as one additional layer of protection.

Back in my salad days I was lucky enough to visit Lake Placid, New York a month before the Winter Games in 1980. One of my friends families owned a condo there. I was a freshly minted college graduate. Six of us invaded Lake Placid and saw the Olympic venues. I bought a sweater embroidered with the Olympic logo for the Lake Placid games.

Two weeks before the opening ceremonies I was at a party wearing my Olympic sweater. A lovely young lady was intrigued by my sweater. I could not resist the temptation. I convinced her that I was a member of the U.S. Olympic Bobsled team.

Ah! Sometimes youth is not wasted on the young! I doubt that I could pull off such a seduction these days!

Did I tell you that I am on the coaching staff for the Olympic Hockey team?

Last edited:

Maybe the Olympics will actually be worth watching this year? :p

Forum List

Back