USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ah, helpful topic this downsizing. Any tips or observations would be great.

My biggest problem is finding my beast of a house is worth X and the smaller yet slightly more functional house is also X.

My biggest problem is my husband and my son refuse to get rid of their collectables (read: crap). We can't downsize as there would be no where to put their stuff. Funny how all my stuff is crap and all their stuff is collectibles.

I'm fortunate there. My wife and I are totally not pack rats. In fact, the first weekend we spent cleaning out to prepare to move, we filled the trash can, that's it. I packed about 3 boxes, most were pictures, you're supposed to take down all the personal pictures when you show the house. Our house doesn't have much clutter.

Been in my house since about 1992, so even though I don't collect much extra stuff, the time works against me. Not counting the basement at 900 sq.ft., there is 1,140 on first floor and another 900 on the second. Four bedrooms and 2.5 baths, but no garage.

Looking for a one story with everything necessary for daily life on one floor. Attached garage and a basement would be also on the need list. After that an out building for the business would be a plus. This would be out of town with about an acre and a half. I'd like to start a tree nursery.

dumpaday-funny-pictures-3415.jpg
I'm not surprised. If all I ate was a diet consisting of fruits and vegetables, I'd likely be ill, and have no stamina or energy. Probably also feel lightheaded. I need protein and carbs in my diet in order to get sustenance.

Saw this guy at the front door when I went to take the dog out earlier.

P1010114.jpg

I think I might prefer the snake to the dog as a pet. I hate this stupid, never listening, shitting and pissing all over the house dog. :mad:

The snake, at least, would just be stupid. :lol:

My youngest made a fb appeal yesterday. Her school has a $100 student supplies budget for her classroom for the year. She is hoping for donations.

And once again, Karma has made me her bitch today. It started out this morning as I tried to start the Ford Explorer and listened to it click and tap and refuse to start. And that was at a grocery store parking lot. I stop in every morning for a banana and a quart of skim milk. The maintenance crew drove out a Chevy Blazer for me and off I went to the northern reaches of the county.

I finished the scheduled inspections for the morning and took my lunch hour at a Farmer's Market buying produce for me and Mom.

Then, on the way back, the Blazer died! Again the maintenance crew came to the rescue and brought me back to the office. Now that I have finished the Battle of the Paperwork for today, I think I'll go home and take the Mutt for a walk.

And once again, Karma has made me her bitch today. It started out this morning as I tried to start the Ford Explorer and listened to it click and tap and refuse to start. And that was at a grocery store parking lot. I stop in every morning for a banana and a quart of skim milk. The maintenance crew drove out a Chevy Blazer for me and off I went to the northern reaches of the county.

I finished the scheduled inspections for the morning and took my lunch hour at a Farmer's Market buying produce for me and Mom.

Then, on the way back, the Blazer died! Again the maintenance crew came to the rescue and brought me back to the office. Now that I have finished the Battle of the Paperwork for today, I think I'll go home and take the Mutt for a walk.

Ask yourself what you did to have Karma smack you and then remember to never do it again.:D

P1010114.jpg

I think I might prefer the snake to the dog as a pet. I hate this stupid, never listening, shitting and pissing all over the house dog. :mad:

Snakes are quiet, don't need to go 'walkies', eat a couple times of month, which means they only need their quarters cleaned a couple of times a month. On the flip side, you cannot be squeamish about their eating habits, they poop in their water dish, and they tend to carry salmonella and get mites, and generally drive up your electric bill. Oh, yeah, try to find a veterinarian who treats sick snakes...

P1010114.jpg

Chances are that snake isn't venomous. It looks like a Florida watersnake. You could likely keep it as a pet if you like.

Poisonous snakes are limited to rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, copperheads, sidewinders, massasaugas and coral snakes.

Ask yourself what you did to have Karma smack you and then remember to never do it again.:D
Perhaps I took karma for granted.

Greetings, CS denizens!
Beautiful day here. It's taken to raining lightly at night and glowing with sunshine during the day. Keeps things fresh. Temps have been more reasonable, climbing to mid-60's during the day.
Well, I achieved what I set out to do up here this weekend. I got my prototype roof truss measured, cut, and assembled. It fit perfectly! Now I need to set up a few jigs, inventory and supplement my supplies, cut and assembly the rest of the required trusses. Then I'll be soliciting for some help getting those bad boys installed. With a 16' span, they are unwieldy to handle alone. With some application, I think I can get the roof on in four trips.

I'm not surprised. If all I ate was a diet consisting of fruits and vegetables, I'd likely be ill, and have no stamina or energy. Probably also feel lightheaded. I need protein and carbs in my diet in order to get sustenance.

Uh... vegetables have tons of protein. Leafy greens, seeds, nuts, beans... what they don't have (except for nuts) is a lot of fats and cholesterol. And they lots of energy. And carbs-- complex ones, not simple -- which means they last longer, do more, and keep the body far more stable. Carnivorism is not what our homonid digestive systems are designed for; it's one reason it's behind so much disease, which is why I gave it up decades ago.

This is prolly getting political and therefore off limits for the CS, but the original post was already going there -- so I don't believe this sort of baiting belongs in the CS.
I mean, I set my own health standards, it's not my place to tell others how to set theirs. :nono:

Last edited:

It has to do with skin care, diet, and genetics. The first lady may eat a good organic diet, but she has not taken care of her skin and doesn't make any effort with her appearance.

The second lady is all glammed up and is probably wearing make-up, but she has obviously taken care of her skin. I don't know who she is, but even a cook who eats sauces, butter, and desserts, etc., but in moderation, will not harm her looks.

Most people don't protect their skin from the sun, and that's what causes the most damage, though diet has a lot of effect too. Being a little plump rather than thin helps to make the second lady more attractive at her age, imo.

French women, for example, have a high life expectancy, are generally not fat, and look pretty good in middle age. They eat butter, white bread, meat, and so on, but in moderation. They also eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

A healthy organic diet doesn't lead to looking old; it's taking care of your skin that counts. A diet that is not perfect doesn't lead to being beautiful: it has to do with skin care too and just making an effort. I don't think the first lady has made any effort with her looks.

Last edited:

Uh... vegetables have tons of protein. Leafy greens, seeds, nuts, beans... what they don't have (except for nuts) is a lot of fats and cholesterol. And they lots of energy. And carbs-- complex ones, not simple -- which means they last longer, do more, and keep the body far more stable. Carnivorism is not what our homonid digestive systems are designed for; it's one reason it's behind so much disease, which is why I gave it up decades ago.

This is prolly getting political and therefore off limits for the CS, but the original post was already going there -- so I don't believe this sort of baiting belongs in the CS.
I mean, I set my own health standards, it's not my place to tell others how to set theirs. :nono:
Yup, you're right Pogo, It's best to keep the discussion non-political. Food for me is always a pleasure to discuss, so it's never political ... :D

The reason I'd be hesitant to rely on vegetables for protein is because they are not considered complete proteins as are meat and fish proteins. For instance, they lack an essential amino acid such as lysine. They are also low in methionine and threonine. To play it really safe though I eat everything, meat, fish, veggies, fruits,...). With the exception of some cooked greens, there's usually no food that I won't eat ... :thup:

It has to do with skin care, diet, and genetics. The first lady may eat a good organic diet, but she has not taken care of her skin and doesn't make any effort with her appearance.

The second lady is all glammed up and is probably wearing make-up, but she has obviously taken care of her skin. I don't know who she is, but even a cook who eats sauces, butter, and desserts, etc., but in moderation, will not harm her looks.

Most people don't protect their skin from the sun, and that's what causes the most damage, though diet has a lot of effect too. Being a little plump rather than thin helps to make the second lady more attractive at her age, imo.

French women, for example, have a high life expectancy, are generally not fat, and look pretty good in middle age. They eat butter, white bread, meat, and so on, but in moderation. They also eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

A healthy organic diet doesn't lead to looking old; it's taking care of your skin that counts. A diet that is not perfect doesn't lead to being beautiful: it has to do with skin care too and just making an effort. I don't think the first lady has made any effort with her looks.

genetics has a lot to do with it. i've abused my skin with over exposure to the sun. I never really moisturized or done anything to care for it. but i'm fortunate to be pushing 60 and still have pretty much wrinkle free skin. i think a lot has to do with genetics. while i eat a healthy diet now, that wasn't always the case.

Sheesh, it was humor :rolleyes:

Chances are that snake isn't venomous. It looks like a Florida watersnake. You could likely keep it as a pet if you like.

Poisonous snakes are limited to rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, copperheads, sidewinders, massasaugas and coral snakes.

I looked it up after I saw it and believe it to have been an Eastern Kingsnake. A constrictor, and although they may bite when caught in the wild, are apparently fairly good pets as far as snakes go.

I don't actually want a snake for a pet, and I have no idea how the little one would feel about having one. I was really just venting some of my frustration at the terrible chihuahua/pinscher we have. Little bastard crapped in the house yet again already today. I found it when I got up to take him out for the third time in 2 hours after he woke up. :mad:

I had a snake when I was younger, a ball python, it escaped from it's aquarium and ended up trapping itself under a desk and dying.

genetics has a lot to do with it. i've abused my skin with over exposure to the sun. I never really moisturized or done anything to care for it. but i'm fortunate to be pushing 60 and still have pretty much wrinkle free skin. i think a lot has to do with genetics. while i eat a healthy diet now, that wasn't always the case.

I agree that genetics plays a role as well as skin care and diet. Like most guys over exposure to the sun and a failure to moisturize have taken their toll. I am over 60 and the majority of my wrinkles are around my eyes. They look older than the rest of my skin but it was that way for both of my parents too so I doubt there is much I am going to be able to do about it. And no, cosmetic surgery is not something I would consider either.

Forum List

Back