USMB Coffee Shop IV

Morning, Everyone!
Cooler today, much more normal. And, we've had rain almost every day this week. I'm hoping they'll lift the burn ban so I can continue burning the slash, which is a problem for wildfires abatement all by itself. I still haven't gotten very far with my winter firewood but will be taking a week off next week when the partner comes here to recuperate. I know I'll want some alone time so outside work will give me that opportunity. And since pard is only semi-ambulatory, he won't be making too much of a mess in the house. I'm anxious to see whether his recent bout with a stroke will improve his approach to personal relationships. I'll see...
I'm hoping for a ride to town to bring the Lexus out here. We don't need the third car and leaving it at the partner's place is begging for vandalism. His house isn't in one of the most stellar neighborhoods. I also plan on dropping the insurance on that car, too. I have to find ways to cut back expenses. I'm also using this opportunity to clear out some of the messes and accumulations of junk. I've given him notice about several of these projects, he objects, but there isn't much he can do to stop the process of cleaning and purging. I suppose cleaning his messes, clearing out his precious treasures, is my way of taking revenge on him.
I have a black, evil heart, I suppose...

I'm sure that's how HE feels...….but in reality it never should have gotten that bad and you are now having to fix it. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing him a good thing......even if he doesn't realize it
I was talking with another guy at work who confessed that he wished he had said at least two phrases to his wife before she finally walked out on him. I feel the same way about my partnership, which is going on over 16 years now. Two magic phrases are: "Thank you" and "I'm sorry". They have to be sincerely expressed and the speaker has to mean what he/she says. 16 years and the first time I heard "I'm sorry" was the day after my partner had his stroke and I'm pretty sure he was feeling sorry for himself. I can predict some things from here on out, one of the reasons the partnership has held together is because he has a killer work ethic. He builds and builds well. (If it can be cast in concrete or welded, he's your man!) This stroke has destroyed his ability to work, at least for the interim. How he heals will determine how the partnership develops. I'm still hoping for a good outcome, he's determined to come back physically.

Large caliber rifle fire close to the house, I need to go investigate...back later.
Bring an even larger caliber rifle with you........

Morning, Everyone!
Cooler today, much more normal. And, we've had rain almost every day this week. I'm hoping they'll lift the burn ban so I can continue burning the slash, which is a problem for wildfires abatement all by itself. I still haven't gotten very far with my winter firewood but will be taking a week off next week when the partner comes here to recuperate. I know I'll want some alone time so outside work will give me that opportunity. And since pard is only semi-ambulatory, he won't be making too much of a mess in the house. I'm anxious to see whether his recent bout with a stroke will improve his approach to personal relationships. I'll see...
I'm hoping for a ride to town to bring the Lexus out here. We don't need the third car and leaving it at the partner's place is begging for vandalism. His house isn't in one of the most stellar neighborhoods. I also plan on dropping the insurance on that car, too. I have to find ways to cut back expenses. I'm also using this opportunity to clear out some of the messes and accumulations of junk. I've given him notice about several of these projects, he objects, but there isn't much he can do to stop the process of cleaning and purging. I suppose cleaning his messes, clearing out his precious treasures, is my way of taking revenge on him.

I'm sure that's how HE feels...….but in reality it never should have gotten that bad and you are now having to fix it. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing him a good thing......even if he doesn't realize it
I was talking with another guy at work who confessed that he wished he had said at least two phrases to his wife before she finally walked out on him. I feel the same way about my partnership, which is going on over 16 years now. Two magic phrases are: "Thank you" and "I'm sorry". They have to be sincerely expressed and the speaker has to mean what he/she says. 16 years and the first time I heard "I'm sorry" was the day after my partner had his stroke and I'm pretty sure he was feeling sorry for himself. I can predict some things from here on out, one of the reasons the partnership has held together is because he has a killer work ethic. He builds and builds well. (If it can be cast in concrete or welded, he's your man!) This stroke has destroyed his ability to work, at least for the interim. How he heals will determine how the partnership develops. I'm still hoping for a good outcome, he's determined to come back physically.

Large caliber rifle fire close to the house, I need to go investigate...back later.

His determination to come back from this stroke, just might work. Stranger things have happened and I think much of it is within the power of the mind.

Morning, Everyone!

Bring an even larger caliber rifle with you........
.44 Ruger Blackhawk, less conspicuous and easier to handle in close quarters. Someone was target shooting last weekend with something small. The gravel lot adjacent to my property is an attractive nuisance that way. Usually, I go out and let them know there's a house down range and they quit or move on. This was a single shot, so far, so it might have been someone poaching moose... or maybe driving a bear away, although I haven't seen any bear sign yet this year.

I'm a pushover for birds of all kinds. I just like them. However, I've noticed that a lot of friends do not care for bluejays because they make a lot of noise and seem to be rude. I'm providing this little video in hopes that because of the beneficial and good things they do, if a bluejay seems disgusting, you might give them some slack once you see what they actually do that helps nature. OK, OK, all the peanuts WILL disappear when Blue Jays are around hogging them up...the little larceny-directed punks...but see if you find out that they make up for it:

Blue jays are a sort of enigma for me. We don't see them often here in the city but there were lots and lots of them where we lived up on the mountain: Mountain jays--no crest but beautifully all blue, scrub jays--no crest and mottled blue and brown which were the most common--and the occasional Stellar jays that are the big beautiful crested blue ones. And they were bullies driving the little birds away from the feeders and such. Our neighbors two parrots got loose one time and the animal shelter folks could have caught them except for the jays who kept harassing them pushing them--the vet said they would likely eventually kill them.

The mourning doves, also prevalent on the mountain, were the one bird that did not tolerate the jays and would run them while they peacefully shared the feeders with all the other birds. Jays, like all bullies, cut and run when challenged. So the jays rarely bothered the feeders.

I did enjoy putting out little piles of raw peanuts on the deck though. Within minutes the first jay would spot it and somehow got the word out because dozens immediately showed up. They would grab one, dash to the ground, set it down, pick up and put a pinon cone or something on top of it to hide it, and come back for another. One was so excited he left with a peanut and came back with the peanut still in his beak. :) Fun to watch.

We only have the Steller Jays, that I'm aware of or have seen. They are beautiful but definitely bullies. They also make quite the mess at the feeders, but that allows the smaller birds like finches & Juncos to feed on the ground. We also have the mourning doves. The calls can be haunting. Owls, hawks, even a Partridge & a Canadian goose have come for a visit in our yard and bald eagles have been known to circle overhead. But I've never seen Cardinals here before.

Try having a flock of Grackles land in your back yard..........

Oh no thanks...….that sound is like from Alfred Hitchcock's movie 'The Birds'...….that would give me nightmares having to hear that all the time. That and a peacock...….geeeeeeeeezzzzzzz have you ever heard a peacock screech? Sounds like a woman screaming in pain & terror.

Morning, Everyone!

His determination to come back from this stroke, just might work. Stranger things have happened and I think much of it is within the power of the mind.
I know of lots of people who have come back from acute strokes but it takes months, even years. I do have a few tasks he can handle that I've had little time to deal with, boxes of paperwork that needs sorted out is his first task. He doesn't read so he won't be attacking my small library. I guess the really stressful part of this for me isn't necessarily that he will be here 24/7 instead of just weekends. The real stressor will come from having total strangers "invading" my privacy. The medics are right now recommending in-home caretakers, at least 6 hours a day. I've mixed feeling about the home visits from therapists, but that is to my advantage in the long run, sparing me the rush home from work and at least three hours to take him to appointments out of the home. Still, they're strangers to me.
The reason this is stressful is that I handle stress by retreating to my "happy place", my home. I am a pretty private person and like having a comfortable routine. Oh, well, I'll have to come up with a new happy place and readjust my routine...

Okay today's homework is to solve this riddle:

67441936_2402986183099907_1787036261509234688_n.jpg
How much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof?

Summer or winter? :dunno:

They didn't specify. That would be a factor wouldn't it.

Morning, Everyone!

I know of lots of people who have come back from acute strokes but it takes months, even years. I do have a few tasks he can handle that I've had little time to deal with, boxes of paperwork that needs sorted out is his first task. He doesn't read so he won't be attacking my small library. I guess the really stressful part of this for me isn't necessarily that he will be here 24/7 instead of just weekends. The real stressor will come from having total strangers "invading" my privacy. The medics are right now recommending in-home caretakers, at least 6 hours a day. I've mixed feeling about the home visits from therapists, but that is to my advantage in the long run, sparing me the rush home from work and at least three hours to take him to appointments out of the home. Still, they're strangers to me.
The reason this is stressful is that I handle stress by retreating to my "happy place", my home. I am a pretty private person and like having a comfortable routine. Oh, well, I'll have to come up with a new happy place and readjust my routine...

Does your partner have no family anywhere who can take on this responsibility? You honestly aren't in a position that you should be obligated either via your off the grid locale and/or re your current physical issues.

Morning, Everyone!

Does your partner have no family anywhere who can take on this responsibility? You honestly aren't in a position that you should be obligated either via your off the grid locale and/or re your current physical issues.
He really doesn't have any family. His mother died last year and his other distant relatives are estranged. I am fortunate to have family that can help. My brother was planning on coming up for two months to help me after my (postponed) hip surgery. He's now volunteered to come up a couple of weeks to help out with my partner. Hopefully, the pard will recover enough to be some help to himself after 3-4 weeks.

I'm a pushover for birds of all kinds. I just like them. However, I've noticed that a lot of friends do not care for bluejays because they make a lot of noise and seem to be rude. I'm providing this little video in hopes that because of the beneficial and good things they do, if a bluejay seems disgusting, you might give them some slack once you see what they actually do that helps nature. OK, OK, all the peanuts WILL disappear when Blue Jays are around hogging them up...the little larceny-directed punks...but see if you find out that they make up for it:

Blue jays are a sort of enigma for me. We don't see them often here in the city but there were lots and lots of them where we lived up on the mountain: Mountain jays--no crest but beautifully all blue, scrub jays--no crest and mottled blue and brown which were the most common--and the occasional Stellar jays that are the big beautiful crested blue ones. And they were bullies driving the little birds away from the feeders and such. Our neighbors two parrots got loose one time and the animal shelter folks could have caught them except for the jays who kept harassing them pushing them--the vet said they would likely eventually kill them.

The mourning doves, also prevalent on the mountain, were the one bird that did not tolerate the jays and would run them while they peacefully shared the feeders with all the other birds. Jays, like all bullies, cut and run when challenged. So the jays rarely bothered the feeders.

I did enjoy putting out little piles of raw peanuts on the deck though. Within minutes the first jay would spot it and somehow got the word out because dozens immediately showed up. They would grab one, dash to the ground, set it down, pick up and put a pinon cone or something on top of it to hide it, and come back for another. One was so excited he left with a peanut and came back with the peanut still in his beak. :) Fun to watch.

We only have the Steller Jays, that I'm aware of or have seen. They are beautiful but definitely bullies. They also make quite the mess at the feeders, but that allows the smaller birds like finches & Juncos to feed on the ground. We also have the mourning doves. The calls can be haunting. Owls, hawks, even a Partridge & a Canadian goose have come for a visit in our yard and bald eagles have been known to circle overhead. But I've never seen Cardinals here before.

That's wonderful, JustAnotherNut,but it almost sounds like my old neighborhood in Wyoming, except we had Steller's Jays and Blue Jays that frequently showed up several times on the same day. But you're right. Zero Cardinals ever visited there. When we moved to Texas, I counted 43 cardinals on my front porch at the same time. They liked the chow. After reading up on them, chances are good that however many you count, they come in waves every few minutes or so, while the last wave moves on, and this lasts until the food is gone. We probably had several dozen waves a day, which would take the count up to a thousand or more. Every Cardinal in Texas seemed to be there. I was spending a fortune on Bird food with fruit, bird food with sunflower kernals, Sunflower seeds by the 50-pound sack, wild bird food, and worm meal, just in case we had bluebirds show up. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of unnamed species here as well, and one was a downright most beautiful emerald green bird I ever saw in my life. He was as plain as a mourning dove, except he was 20-24" long or more big whereas mourning doves around here are about 8-9" tops. One evening, 5 flamingos showed up at our small lake behind the house, but the very next morning, they got into quite the fisticuffs with the daytime guest, a great egret. And with more grace than I've ever seen in a tv battle reconstrudtion, the egret picked off the Flamingos one by one with his stilleto beak applied as a warning to each challenger. Those flamingos had a regular pow-wow on the other side of the lake from General Gracious, and after an hour or two of chattering amongst themselves, they left in a kind of a v formation, heading east-north-east. Great White Egrets used to be on the endangered list, but some summers, there's a family of them near every lake all summer.

Oh, and the green bird who stared me down while I gawked at his beauty? I've looked through every book available to me, and I have never seen such a bird in any of them. There's nothing online like him, and nothing around here that even remotely resembles the bird that I saw. Needless to mention his facial features were totally awesome, adding to the reverie with which I remember that amazing creature. There's nothing in any book or online I've seen to compare this animal to. Oh, well, lucky me. I saw a mystery bird that has no answer.

Dama yama ! There are finally some new PC games I would like to play, but my computer is no where near powerful enough. I could not even upgrade it because I think I would need a new motherboard to run the latest processor. Also a new power supply to support a high memory video card. I am thinking about having a top range gamer machine built, as I have enough money sitting in a cash box doing nothing.

There is a new Wolfenstein game out now, and a new Doom game coming out later this year.

AMD just put out their new processors and they are supposed to be pretty good for gaming, the Ryzen 3000 series. Also, Nvidia recently put out the Super version of their graphics cards, and AMD put out their new RX 5700 cards. I have been using Nvidia cards forever, but I'm thinking about buying an RX 5700 some time this year. It's $350 now, but maybe I can get a good Black Friday deal or something. :p

He really doesn't have any family. His mother died last year and his other distant relatives are estranged. I am fortunate to have family that can help. My brother was planning on coming up for two months to help me after my (postponed) hip surgery. He's now volunteered to come up a couple of weeks to help out with my partner. Hopefully, the pard will recover enough to be some help to himself after 3-4 weeks.
Prayers up, Gallantwarrior. :hands:

Dama yama ! There are finally some new PC games I would like to play, but my computer is no where near powerful enough. I could not even upgrade it because I think I would need a new motherboard to run the latest processor. Also a new power supply to support a high memory video card. I am thinking about having a top range gamer machine built, as I have enough money sitting in a cash box doing nothing.

There is a new Wolfenstein game out now, and a new Doom game coming out later this year.

AMD just put out their new processors and they are supposed to be pretty good for gaming, the Ryzen 3000 series. Also, Nvidia recently put out the Super version of their graphics cards, and AMD put out their new RX 5700 cards. I have been using Nvidia cards forever, but I'm thinking about buying an RX 5700 some time this year. It's $350 now, but maybe I can get a good Black Friday deal or something. :p
Hey, Montro! How're you doing? Seems you're pretty busy with the job, we see less of you here.

Prayers up, Gallantwarrior. :hands:
Thanks, beau! I will get through this challenge like I have so many others. Maybe it's because I'm older, but there seems to be more challenge now than there used to be. There are a lot of positives coming from this, too. Like cleaning the fire-hazard batteries out of my future bathroom. I have also had one junk car towed away and am looking for someone to drag the Jeep out of my driveway, too. It hurts, thinning out the goat herd, but it will give me a breather before I get to retire and devote myself to milking and making milk stuff full time. I'm looking forward to taking my goodies to markets and craft fairs. My partner's stroke is a giant caltrop in the path of my planned trajectory but perhaps I am meant to meet and overcome the challenge in order to earn my peace?

Hey, Montro! How're you doing? Seems you're pretty busy with the job, we see less of you here.

Yeah, I'm working a lot of 48 hour weeks lately. This past weekend I picked up the little one and took her to her dad's, which was probably about 3 hours of driving. We spent Friday night, Saturday, and early Sunday together. We didn't actually do much, as the little one mostly wanted to watch youtube videos, but we went out to dinner, she swam in the lake at her dad's a couple of times, and we all played some Monopoly on the Nintendo. It was nice to be able to just hang out with her a bit even if it wasn't eventful. Next time I'll have to plan something to do first, maybe bowling or a roller rink or something along those lines.

I've got a ton of TV shows and movies piling up to watch now that my days are filled with work. :lol: I'm actually getting ready to watch the first episode of a new series on Amazon called The Boys shortly. It's based on a comic book and, if it follows the comic closely, will be extremely graphic, but hopefully also funny.

I hope the situation with your partner doesn't get any more difficult (for either of you) than it has to. I'm sure it's extremely stressful to deal with.

Forum List

Back