USMB Coffee Shop IV

Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately there are differing schools of thought on that one when it comes to the grains part. Most state grains are good as long as they are all complex carbs, stay away from the highly processed grains so it's kind of hard to know who's right and who's being a snake oil salesman.

No doubt some grains are good for you. They do have nutrients that the body does need. But it's the amount consumed. Most people eat too many carbs, that is turned to sugar and stored as fat in the body. High tryglicerides (bad cholesterol) is that fat stored in the blood.

The idea behind the Keto diet approach, is to limit the grain/carb intake and increase the good fat, protein, fruits & veggies.....so the body will burn the stored fat (after it's been processed by the body), instead of the carbs (before the body processes it into fat).

Everyone is born with cancer cells in their bodies.....cancer is just another one of the millions of cells that die & rejuvenate every day. Most of the time our bodies immune system & other workings keep the cancer cells in check. The trouble comes when the system isn't working in optimal condition and those cancer cells bind together & grow creating tumors. This is where the sugars from the carbs come in...….the cancer cells feed off those sugars & fat. So to keep the cancer in check, keep the carb intake to a minimum and the other nutrient dense foods at a premium.

Does porridge (oatmeal?) fall under the category of grains?

I'm not really sure in this instance. Oats are a grain yes, but not in the same category as wheat. Either way, if you like your morning oatmeal maybe have a smaller amount and use honey instead of sugar or add some berries or other fruit for sweetener and to increase the nutrition of it. :dunno:
Nope, that's my breakfast. Hers is one scambled egg with real cheese in it. I use a tablespoon of water instead of milk to mix with the egg and a spritz of canola oil in the cast iron pan, cook it on medium till it just done. Sometimes it's one eff over hard with one piece of oatbread and my home blended canola butter.

Canola butter?? Hmmm, not sure about that one. Why not regular butter?
Cut's the bad butter fat in half. BTW, I hope you don't buy into the totally debunked canola oil urban myths.........

No doubt some grains are good for you. They do have nutrients that the body does need. But it's the amount consumed. Most people eat too many carbs, that is turned to sugar and stored as fat in the body. High tryglicerides (bad cholesterol) is that fat stored in the blood.

The idea behind the Keto diet approach, is to limit the grain/carb intake and increase the good fat, protein, fruits & veggies.....so the body will burn the stored fat (after it's been processed by the body), instead of the carbs (before the body processes it into fat).

Everyone is born with cancer cells in their bodies.....cancer is just another one of the millions of cells that die & rejuvenate every day. Most of the time our bodies immune system & other workings keep the cancer cells in check. The trouble comes when the system isn't working in optimal condition and those cancer cells bind together & grow creating tumors. This is where the sugars from the carbs come in...….the cancer cells feed off those sugars & fat. So to keep the cancer in check, keep the carb intake to a minimum and the other nutrient dense foods at a premium.

I'm not really sure in this instance. Oats are a grain yes, but not in the same category as wheat. Either way, if you like your morning oatmeal maybe have a smaller amount and use honey instead of sugar or add some berries or other fruit for sweetener and to increase the nutrition of it. :dunno:
Nope, that's my breakfast. Hers is one scambled egg with real cheese in it. I use a tablespoon of water instead of milk to mix with the egg and a spritz of canola oil in the cast iron pan, cook it on medium till it just done. Sometimes it's one eff over hard with one piece of oatbread and my home blended canola butter.

Cut's the bad butter fat in half. BTW, I hope you don't buy into the totally debunked canola oil urban myths.........

Meh, it's just Canola is another one of those crops that Monsanto has messed with making it 'RoundUp ready' or some such junk and is Genetically Modified Organism (GMO), though so is much of the big AG crops that go into our food supply and is near impossible to get away from completely.
I tend to use either vegetable oil, extra virgin olive oil, butter or bacon fat...….and I hope you don't buy into the totally debunked animal fat is bad for you urban myths...….animal fats are good for you and has positive effects on brain function.

A few years ago DR told me my triglycerides were off the charts & I needed to take a list of meds to get the numbers down ASAP or else......I told her I'd think about it, cause I hate having to take meds of any kind. I went home & started researching it and ended up changing my diet to include real butter and other animal fats, more fruits, veggies & proteins and less carbs. Made sure to get atleast 15 minutes of physical activity more than normal daily doings. Basically very similar to the keto diet. Only I refuse to give up my bread, rice, pasta, chocolate and salty snacks completely, but I have cut back on the amounts considerably. There are times when I backslide and I can usually feel it......like here lately and I know I have to get back on the ball.

My numbers dropped and haven't been that high since.

It's about making choices with what we put in our mouths as food. Will it fill us or fuel us?

Meh, it's just Canola is another one of those crops that Monsanto has messed with making it 'RoundUp ready' or some such junk and is Genetically Modified Organism (GMO), though so is much of the big AG crops that go into our food supply and is near impossible to get away from completely.
I tend to use either vegetable oil, extra virgin olive oil, butter or bacon fat...….and I hope you don't buy into the totally debunked animal fat is bad for you urban myths...….animal fats are good for you and has positive effects on brain function.

A few years ago DR told me my triglycerides were off the charts & I needed to take a list of meds to get the numbers down ASAP or else......I told her I'd think about it, cause I hate having to take meds of any kind. I went home & started researching it and ended up changing my diet to include real butter and other animal fats, more fruits, veggies & proteins and less carbs. Made sure to get atleast 15 minutes of physical activity more than normal daily doings. Basically very similar to the keto diet. Only I refuse to give up my bread, rice, pasta, chocolate and salty snacks completely, but I have cut back on the amounts considerably. There are times when I backslide and I can usually feel it......like here lately and I know I have to get back on the ball.

It's about making choices with what we put in our mouths as food. Will it fill us or fuel us?
I never said animal fats are bad for you I just personally decided to cut them in half at one point because I eat so much animal fats. Heck the best baking fat is lard. As for vegetable oil it's mostly corn oil and I eat almost nothing with corn product in it except real corn.
Now to the canola oil and GMO, not all GMO is bad, matter of fact there's probably not a single food we eat, plant or animal that hasn't been "GMOed" in some way or another so I don't buy into the GMO paranoia and that's my stance on it.

I did a colonguard test where you poop in a container and ship it off to a lab. It came back as positive for colon cancer. But, both docs..the regular one and the GI one, said that test is notorious for false positives. So..they wanna go digging around in my innards to find out for sure nothing is in there to cause concern.

Gracie I just had my 3rd okolescope in 2.5 years... This last one was because of one of those tests you do at home... It came back positive for blood in places its not supposed to be... It was bullshit... I will not do one of those again and the Dr. that wanted me to do it and I are going to have a long discussion regarding him listening to me... My gastro the fellow that drives the scope where no man has gone b 4 says I don't have to have another scope for 3 years... When was the last test you had? I just don't think those home brew tests are very reliable at all... Getting old really sucks and if I just knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself thats for damn sure... Well maybe not, I have had a pretty good time... :04:
Last time I had it done was about 5 years ago. GI doc said "see ya in 10 years". Alas..now I'm getting it done again 5 years shy of the 10. But...I wanna make SURE its a false positive.

Ringel05 Here is a good article about treating cancer naturally......it mentions a Ketogenetic diet which is pretty much turning the food pyramid upside down, more proteins, fruits & veggies and few if any grains or carbs which turn to sugar in the body and cancer thrives on that sugar.

Treating Cancer Naturally: 11 Strategies That Work

There is just sooooo much information out there about cancer & things to help treat it.......but what it comes down to is getting the immune system strong enough to fight the cancer cells. This includes not just diet, but exercise, fresh air/sunshine and most of all mental attitude. It all works together in sinc.
Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately there are differing schools of thought on that one when it comes to the grains part. Most state grains are good as long as they are all complex carbs, stay away from the highly processed grains so it's kind of hard to know who's right and who's being a snake oil salesman.

No processed food period.
They are full of artificial ingredients.
It's slowly poising all of us.
Yup and there are some foods she's "not particularly fond of" to put in nicely that she's already said she's willing to try. Apparently we've been cooking things like brussels sprouts all wrong all these years, never boil or steam them, that actuall brings out the pungent, bitter taste. Roast them or saute them (not crowded in the pan) with olive oil, salt an pepper, she's willing to try that. Legumes might be her biggest challenge though, her aversion to them is textural for lack of a better word, she hates how they "smush" when chewed........
Now asparagus is one of her favorites and is supposed to be highly beneficial.
Mustard sauce on brussels are TASTY. Oven roasted, like you said.

I never said animal fats are bad for you I just personally decided to cut them in half at one point because I eat so much animal fats. Heck the best baking fat is lard. As for vegetable oil it's mostly corn oil and I eat almost nothing with corn product in it except real corn.
Now to the canola oil and GMO, not all GMO is bad, matter of fact there's probably not a single food we eat, plant or animal that hasn't been "GMOed" in some way or another so I don't buy into the GMO paranoia and that's my stance on it.

I use coconut oil.

And: I like boiled sprouts. :04:

I use coconut oil.

Wife's allergic to coconut.

OK, while I disagree with you I did not in no way intend to offend you and I apologize if I had.

I am no doctor, nor am I a medical research scientist, nor am I a nutritional dietician. I don't have all the answers, I'm not even sure if I have any answers. I do know cancer in any form sucks and it doesn't make sense how it's become such an epidemic in recent years when it was almost unheard of before that. Nor does it make sense that people who do everything right & live a clean life can die from it, while those who live like there's no tomorrow doing all the 'wrong' things, never get it. Then there's all the millions of others that fall somewhere in between.

I do wish you and your wife the best with prayers for healing

I've been rethinking Arizona. But I worry about the medical assistance they offer to low income folks. I tried googling it, but there are so many links I get overwhelmed and still am confused about if they would cover us in some sort of assistance. Medicare is all over, but we also have California Health And Wellness...which covers everything else. And it doesn't cost us anything. If we did come to Az, we would be in St David? Which is 6 miles out of Benson....or so my SIL said.
Anyway...I read an article this morning about the probs with Cali...and it was spot on. I am going to find it if I can and post a link.
Benson! My old stomping grounds when I was in AZ. It used to be a quaint little place along the Interstate.

The Benson primary care doctors sucks ever since 2010.
The good ones retired really early or shut up practice and went to work in the Hospitals.
The good ones are still in Sierra Vista or Tucson and the health care coverage for Az. is good for low income.

Ringel05 Here is a good article about treating cancer naturally......it mentions a Ketogenetic diet which is pretty much turning the food pyramid upside down, more proteins, fruits & veggies and few if any grains or carbs which turn to sugar in the body and cancer thrives on that sugar.

There is just sooooo much information out there about cancer & things to help treat it.......but what it comes down to is getting the immune system strong enough to fight the cancer cells. This includes not just diet, but exercise, fresh air/sunshine and most of all mental attitude. It all works together in sinc.
Thanks for the link.

Well she doesn't eat much in the way of grains anyway, oat products and rice primarily and not much in the way of oat products at that. Even with potatoes she doesn't eat that many. As for the Budwig Protocol supposedly they tested her and she's supposed to be allergic to flax. As for fish, no problem, her absolute favorite is salmon. I hate salmon...... :lol:

I would give the Budwig protocol a chance, and if she has no adverse reaction give it a try. Our good friend in Texas put us onto it. Cancer in his ear had metastasized and the only options they gave him was amputation of the ear and chemo with a prognosis that wasn't good. He opted for the Budwig protocol. In two weeks the pain was gone. In three months there was little visible cancer. In six months his onocologist pronounced him cancer free. And there were people praying for him too.

It probably isn't for everybody but so many who have tried it have found relief or cures for so many things including allergies, fibromyalgia, many other autoimmune kinds of things. I know medical science doesn't recognize it and say there is no clinical evidence. But those who have been helped by it are evidence in my opinion.

But if that is not the solution for you two, or if it is, you remain in my prayers every day.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link.

Well she doesn't eat much in the way of grains anyway, oat products and rice primarily and not much in the way of oat products at that. Even with potatoes she doesn't eat that many. As for the Budwig Protocol supposedly they tested her and she's supposed to be allergic to flax. As for fish, no problem, her absolute favorite is salmon. I hate salmon...... :lol:

I would give the Budwig protocol a chance, and if she has no adverse reaction give it a try. Our good friend in Texas put us onto it. Cancer in his ear had metastasized and the only options they gave him was amputation of the ear and chemo with a prognosis that wasn't good. He opted for the Budwig protocol. In two weeks the pain was gone. In three months there was little visible cancer. In six months his onocologist pronounced him cancer free. And there were people praying for him too.

It probably isn't for everybody but so many who have tried it have found relief or cures for so many things including allergies, fibromyalgia, many other autoimmune kinds of things. I know medical science doesn't recognize it and say there is no clinical evidence. But those who have been helped by it are evidence in my opinion.

But if that is not the solution for you two, or if it is, you remain in my prayers every day.

Cancer of the ear?

Have not heard of that one.

OK, while I disagree with you I did not in no way intend to offend you and I apologize if I had.

I am no doctor, nor am I a medical research scientist, nor am I a nutritional dietician. I don't have all the answers, I'm not even sure if I have any answers. I do know cancer in any form sucks and it doesn't make sense how it's become such an epidemic in recent years when it was almost unheard of before that. Nor does it make sense that people who do everything right & live a clean life can die from it, while those who live like there's no tomorrow doing all the 'wrong' things, never get it. Then there's all the millions of others that fall somewhere in between.

I do wish you and your wife the best with prayers for healing
No, you didn't offend me, I don't think anyone could do that to me so the apology is not necessary, thanks anyway. I was simply and definitively stating how I saw it so as to divert any potential argument.
It's okay, don't worry about it. :thup:

Well...just got off the phone with the GI doc's assistant. Looks like they are aiming for December for the endoscopy/colonoscopy. And I had to call THEM just to get that info. No date set yet though. Arrrgh.

Almost done with binge-ing Vikings. On Season 5, episode 10. 9 more to go. Will be done by tonight.
I'm only up to season three of "Vikings". Pretty good stuff but the pard is such a pussy, he can't stand the violence. I've been binging on "Jamestown".
Did I miss something? The GI, is that routine or something more sinister?
I did a colonguard test where you poop in a container and ship it off to a lab. It came back as positive for colon cancer. But, both docs..the regular one and the GI one, said that test is notorious for false positives. So..they wanna go digging around in my innards to find out for sure nothing is in there to cause concern.
Roto-rooter treatment coming up. Another friend of mine is prepping for his first go at this and was upset that they wanted him to attend a class before scheduling the procedure. I recommended he go to class and follow their instructions.
Good luck and may you be squeaky clean.

Just got back from the doc's, not so good news. The chemos they've given her have not worked, the kidney and spleen continue to grow along with the new spot in the liver, we are now looking at possible experimental treatments and are willing to start looking at all options. Fox, you've mentioned a diet a few times, need to look into that.
Asked about removing the kidney and spleen but that's a no-go, due to the nature of the cancer not only would it do no good the surgery has a high probability of killing her outright. Keep us in your prayers.
Did you read about that new medication for cancer? Its a shot, given to BC patients. Still in test phase, but so far...it has killed the cancer in the patients that it was tested on. Not sure if its just for breast cancer...but maybe its for ALL cancers?
The medical team is checking into every possible option at this point including DNA testing of the cancer to determine if there's any possible target to attack. Unfortunately with her type of cancer this has been done before on many other patients and no targets have been found but it's still worth a shot.
Apologize for having missed the news about Mrs. R. (Happens when you can only stop by for a quick read sometimes.) I'm still hoping they'll find something to help. I looked at the link for alternative foods and those seemed reasonable. Crossing the hooks for Mrs. R. And I hope your bronchitis is getting better, too.
Best wishes for both of you.

I use coconut oil.

I use several types of oil, depending on what I'm cooking. I like my sprouts sautéed in sesame oil. I'll also use avocado, coconut, olive oils. I stay away from corn oil, and yes, canola for cooking. I use canola oil for making soap, though.

First of November and still no snow. Even the snow at high elevations is getting thin. They're predicting snow for Tuesday but until then, temps will remain high 30s and low- to mid-40s. We're at least 20 degrees warmer than typical for this time of year. 'Course, the way it's been raining, if it were snowing, we'd be up to our earlobes in the white stuff by now.

Forum List

Back