USMB Coffee Shop IV

Those are some LONG legs!
This is stepdaughters dog...
He has some really long legs..
20200802_182422.jpg

Been working a lot on Spanish lessons. I have a little cabin fever right now and am staying home because of leg cramps. I watched detective movies because the news is a little worrisome right now and I'm changing channels a lot. I must have inked in 100 new words today, making Spanish/English flashcards, but for some reason I practically nosedived the Duolingo exercises online to a degree of embarrassment worse than all of last month which wasn't stellar either.
One of the little tasks has been using the "Just Look and learn Spanish Picture Dictionary which says it hS 15000 new words. I wrote a few of their sentences that carry pronouns and failing to place them perfectly has to be a vaccuous deal because there is no textbook that tells you where to put them when one sentence has more than 5 or 6 pronouns that are placed "guess where!" lol

I just want to learn to speak and understand Spanish when spoken to. I want to do tedious stuff but a thousand flash cards take several weeks. But once they're added and practiced it sure helps making memories of which word to use a slow but sure process. Wish me luck!

A big group hug to all the friends here and hope those who are fighting cancer, emphasema, covid , allergies et al get better. :huddle:

Been working a lot on Spanish lessons. I have a little cabin fever right now and am staying home because of leg cramps. I watched detective movies because the news is a little worrisome right now and I'm changing channels a lot. I must have inked in 100 new words today, making Spanish/English flashcards, but for some reason I practically nosedived the Duolingo exercises online to a degree of embarrassment worse than all of last month which wasn't stellar either.
One of the little tasks has been using the "Just Look and learn Spanish Picture Dictionary which says it hS 15000 new words. I wrote a few of their sentences that carry pronouns and failing to place them perfectly has to be a vaccuous deal because there is no textbook that tells you where to put them when one sentence has more than 5 or 6 pronouns that are placed "guess where!" lol

I just want to learn to speak and understand Spanish when spoken to. I want to do tedious stuff but a thousand flash cards take several weeks. But once they're added and practiced it sure helps making memories of which word to use a slow but sure process. Wish me luck!

A big group hug to all the friends here and hope those who are fighting cancer, emphasema, covid , allergies et al get better. :huddle:
When you translate talk like Yoda............ "See through you we can..........." "Unsure I am......" etc.

Spanish isn't that difficult for me but I stopped trying to master the language when I was unable to roll my r's which is a necessity to speak Spanish properly. I've tried and tried but just can't do it. Why? I dunno. A disability I was born with I suppose. But you seem dedicated to become fluent my friend. I think you'll get there.

Mitakes is supposed to be Mistakes :disbelief: When it comes to learning Spanish I graded at the bottom in Highschool Cs and Ds. I had trouble with the pronunciation as well. A lesson I learned about study from my teachers, only study one subject for one day a week. Immerse yourself in that subject for one day a week only and you will learn the subject quicker.

Kudos to your ability to learn since I gather you're older as well. I find it hard to study and learn new stuff at my age. I used to be able to read something once and I knew it. These days I have to read it three times, and then I may or may not retain it. I think I used up all my brain storage on the lyrics to songs I loved when I was 15. I can sing along and not miss a word or a beat, even if I haven't heard the song for 50 years.

I grew up in English speaking Ontario and my mother discouraged my attempts to learn French. Now when I visit my French family, I struggle when everyone speaks French. I did really well with high school French, but I haven't used it much since I finished school. I get the gist of what people are saying but the details elude me. They all talk so fast, and Quebecois French is not the Parisienne French I learned in high school, it's a dialect, unique to Quebec.

Kudos to your ability to learn since I gather you're older as well. I find it hard to study and learn new stuff at my age. I used to be able to read something once and I knew it. These days I have to read it three times, and then I may or may not retain it. I think I used up all my brain storage on the lyrics to songs I loved when I was 15. I can sing along and not miss a word or a beat, even if I haven't heard the song for 50 years.

I grew up in English speaking Ontario and my mother discouraged my attempts to learn French. Now when I visit my French family, I struggle when everyone speaks French. I did really well with high school French, but I haven't used it much since I finished school. I get the gist of what people are saying but the details elude me. They all talk so fast, and Quebecois French is not the Parisienne French I learned in high school, it's a dialect, unique to Quebec.
French? Duolingo.com teaches a lot of languages. They really make it fun because they repeat the basics in a way that can make you laugh your bottom off. I bet that in 6 months you could understand what was being said and in a year you could talk back fluently. I'm a septuagenarian but I take a cognitive supplement, hair, skin and nails supplement, do very moderate 10 minute workouts mainly for the knee replacement therapy and the rowing machine is all one really needs because unlike cycling it is gentle on the knees while doing what maintenance you need. The other supplement I take is Centrum senior women. People say I look 50, but I use melania Trumps facial stuff that she had to quit mfg. after moving into the WH. I dont have a wrinkle on my neck any more. I bought a dozen tiny jars around the time he was inaugurated into his office and I'm on the last one. I almost fainted because in 2 weeks after I started using the cream sparingly all those neck wrinkles became a thing of the past. I've had my problems with health since I was about 52, the year my fibromyalgia started and continued on until 9 years ago when a pair of parathyroids were removed. My calcium blood count was so high it's no wonder I had screaming out loud pain for over 15 years. The operation gave me a life with no more of that kind of pain. But by then, fibro is one of those autoimmune diseases that wipes out your ability to fight off colds, the flu, and everything else. When I lived in cold country I had nonstop bronchitis and frequent pneumonia for the 9 and sometimes ten months of cold.

I am so grateful Foxfyre put me on her prayer list. It has gotten me through years of disa]ointment and lots of colds due to what was left after the pain went away.

Spanish isn't that difficult for me but I stopped trying to master the language when I was unable to roll my r's which is a necessity to speak Spanish properly. I've tried and tried but just can't do it. Why? I dunno. A disability I was born with I suppose. But you seem dedicated to become fluent my friend. I think you'll get there.
Well, if it makes a difference, when I'm answering their complex system, when you practice rolling the rs, you're a lot more relaxed in front of four walls, so after 6 months of that, it seems trouble with rolled rs is a thing of the past. The software they use is very smart but keeps you corrected without the feeling you are being criticized. There's an R2-D2 outcome in which the only emotion is the joy it brings you of doing something well and if you didn't you can fix it tomorrow or after going shopping at your favorite tienda. :thup:

Well...I have been MIA for awhile. Guess I better catch y'all up, if interested.

I THINK I told you about MrG and the spot on his lung, him falling down and busting his head open to now he has this big scar right above his eyebrow. Seems that fall affected his ear because he is now deaf on that side. Gotta see a neurologist. But first, on the 17th of this month, they are going to go exploring on his chest. Gonna take 3 sample from the upper, middle and lower lung. While in there, they are going to dig around for that spot they saw on the xray. They said NOT cancer, but they still wanna check it out once inside there. Something else is going on and are not sure exactly what. So..biopsy on that lung. Then after that, gall bladder comes out. Fun, no?

I've been under alot of stress. He's drinking again too. Lots of panic attacks as well. I do the best I can but its starting to wear on me. I can barely walk myself but now I have to deal with all this other shit on a 6'2" 258 lb man? I can't. Might have to get a caregiver for him until he mends after all this shit is done.

NOT looking forward to the months ahead.

The pure Castilian Spanish that is generally taught in high schools and universities is quite different from the Northern Mexico/Texas/New Mexico/California Spanish the native born speak too. As you said, you can get the gist of it but miss a lot of detail.

Finished writing my Closing Statement for the local K-12 Veterans Day assembly. I think it came out pretty good. Now if I can just deliver it and make it sound as good as it looks.
I bet it's wonderful.

By the way, in September one of our very best friends, Pastor Stan i.e. Stanley Hanamoto, was named American Legion National Chaplain. We were thrilled he was acknowledged with such an honor as he is one of the best people in all respects that we know. He has been Chaplain (and usually the cook) for the Colorado Springs Chapter for a very long time as well as in Ordway CO where is currently lives. He stayed with us for a couple of weeks in 2019 while he ministered to a dying friend and we communicate often.

Well...I have been MIA for awhile. Guess I better catch y'all up, if interested.

I THINK I told you about MrG and the spot on his lung, him falling down and busting his head open to now he has this big scar right above his eyebrow. Seems that fall affected his ear because he is now deaf on that side. Gotta see a neurologist. But first, on the 17th of this month, they are going to go exploring on his chest. Gonna take 3 sample from the upper, middle and lower lung. While in there, they are going to dig around for that spot they saw on the xray. They said NOT cancer, but they still wanna check it out once inside there. Something else is going on and are not sure exactly what. So..biopsy on that lung. Then after that, gall bladder comes out. Fun, no?

I've been under alot of stress. He's drinking again too. Lots of panic attacks as well. I do the best I can but its starting to wear on me. I can barely walk myself but now I have to deal with all this other shit on a 6'2" 258 lb man? I can't. Might have to get a caregiver for him until he mends after all this shit is done.

NOT looking forward to the months ahead.
Wow Gracie. I'm also dealing with a drinking relative but don't have to live with the person so the stress is still stressful but not what you're dealing with. I can relate to having responsibility for people and, even though you love them, it can wear you down after awhile. Ramping up the prayers sent your way.

Forum List

Back