USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hi, I just received my phone, and it is a nasty little plastic thingy with brief instructions. From those instructions I discovered I need a sim card, which contains the phone number, and a memory card too. I am inclined not to bother with it, but it was very cheap, and you get what you pay
True but you didn't have a phone before and if all you need is a phone for emergencies and receive a texted code from a website, you don't need much. The sim cards I think are really cheap. Not sure about the memory card.

I just finished the dough for two loaves of dill bread. In a few hours, I'll have some delish loaves!

That counterbalances my horrible coffee experience this morning in which I accidentally dropped a claritin in my cappuccino. Bleah.

That would ruin my entire day. Cappuccino is such a rare treat for me at this time of year, that it would break my heart to spoil it like this, knowing it'll be weeks before I get another crack at it.

My ex and I got our first cell phones when we lived in Toronto and were making decent money. Bell offered us the choice of a free Blackberry or a free iPhone. I took the Blackberry because I wanted email, and iPhone wasn't offering an email app when they first came out, and my husband got the iPhone for the camera. We already had Bell Cable, Internet and 2 land lines, so I think they were just desperate for us not to go to Rogers.

My law firm gave all the support staff iPod Shuffles for Staff Appreciation Day, so I already had an extensive library of music from iTunes. And I had loaded our CD's onto the iTunes app on our home computer.

My next cell phone was an iPhone and so is my current phone. If we were still married, we wouldn't be buying two of them that's for sure. I considered an Android, but then I'd be losing all of the music I've bought over the past 15+ years.

I do find the iPhones last longer than the Androids. My ex had his original iPhone and it still worked, when we split up in 2015. It wouldn't run any of the new apps or games, but it was good for phone, text messages and email. It was so old he dubbed it "T-Rex".

My first iPhone lasted me 10 years, but fell victim to the crappy power system here in 2019. I currently have a 10X which is fully paid for, and which I see no need to replace for the foreseeable future, unless the CPU gets fried. As a music lover, iTunes is the best $10.99 I spend in a month.

I hope to pay cash for my next iPhone. The Tab and the mandatory 10 Gig DataPlan for it cost me $150 a month. The 2 gig plan I'm currently on costs me $50 a month, so the 2 year plan cost me $2400 for the phone. I can buy a new iPhone for $700. I need that additional $1700 a whole lot more than the Rogers Family.
Not sure what we'll get next but we do need to upgrade. Our phones are so old now they don't hold a charge well and have developed some other unpleasant quirks. I started out with an old, heavy clunky Motorola cell phone that did nothing but make and receive phone calls if I happened to be in a Verizon covered area. It was costly then but I used it in my work and it was worth it. Eventually the Verizon people asked me what would persuade me to give up that old analog phone. :)

Yuck on Clariton flavored coffee. But oh my some fresh baked bread would be good. I may have to go make some. See what you caused? :)

Dill bread is so delish! My mom used to make is quite often when I was a kid, so it feels extra homey to me.

That would ruin my entire day. Cappuccino is such a rare treat for me at this time of year, that it would break my heart to spoil it like this, knowing it'll be weeks before I get another crack at it.

I suspect I will have horrible flashbacks for quite some time....

Do you use all dill seed or throw in some fresh dill? Not always easy to get around here.

I use dill seed. The recipe is what is often referred to as "Grandmother's Dill Bread". It has cottage cheese and dried minced onion as well.

The dill bread loaves are rising - eta to pop in the oven is 35-40 min.

Oh well........ That problem I thought was my old modem/router combo turned out to be something muuuuuuuuuuch cheaper and I should have checked it first. I know better.
Turns out it was the two way splitter going bad, an $8 part. Since I don't even have cable TV I just disconnected the splitter and ran the internet cable direct to the wall outlet, problem fixed. To look on the bright side I now have a much faster upload/download and much more secure home network.

I use dill seed. The recipe is what is often referred to as "Grandmother's Dill Bread". It has cottage cheese and dried minced onion as well.
Interesting, My recipe doesn't call for onion but I bet that would be good. Do you use half whole wheat flour or all whole wheat or no whole wheat?

Interesting, My recipe doesn't call for onion but I bet that would be good. Do you use half whole wheat flour or all whole wheat or no whole wheat?

I use unbleached bread flour:

1 package Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup warm Water
1 cup small curd Cottage Cheese
1 tablespoon melted Butter
2 tablespoon Minced Dried Onions
2 teaspoons dried Dill Seed
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Egg, beaten
2 1/4 cups white flour

1st rise 1.5 - 2 hours, 2nd rise 45-60 min, make loaves, rise for 50-60 min. Bake at 350 30-45 min,

Oh well........ That problem I thought was my old modem/router combo turned out to be something muuuuuuuuuuch cheaper and I should have checked it first. I know better.
Turns out it was the two way splitter going bad, an $8 part. Since I don't even have cable TV I just disconnected the splitter and ran the internet cable direct to the wall outlet, problem fixed. To look on the bright side I now have a much faster upload/download and much more secure home network.
Everything is simple once we figure it out. I think Hombre and I have spent maybe $500 on stuff we thought we needed for his rehab that either doesn't work or we didn't need it at all. Live and learn.

I use unbleached bread flour:

1 package Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup warm Water
1 cup small curd Cottage Cheese
1 tablespoon melted Butter
2 tablespoon Minced Dried Onions
2 teaspoons dried Dill Seed
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Egg, beaten
2 1/4 cups white flour

1st rise 1.5 - 2 hours, 2nd rise 45-60 min, make loaves, rise for 50-60 min. Bake at 350 30-45 min,
Simpler than my recipe and I think I will like it better. Copied and saved. Thanks. :)

My ex and I got our first cell phones when we lived in Toronto and were making decent money. Bell offered us the choice of a free Blackberry or a free iPhone. I took the Blackberry because I wanted email, and iPhone wasn't offering an email app when they first came out, and my husband got the iPhone for the camera. We already had Bell Cable, Internet and 2 land lines, so I think they were just desperate for us not to go to Rogers.

My law firm gave all the support staff iPod Shuffles for Staff Appreciation Day, so I already had an extensive library of music from iTunes. And I had loaded our CD's onto the iTunes app on our home computer.

My next cell phone was an iPhone and so is my current phone. If we were still married, we wouldn't be buying two of them that's for sure. I considered an Android, but then I'd be losing all of the music I've bought over the past 15+ years.

I do find the iPhones last longer than the Androids. My ex had his original iPhone and it still worked, when we split up in 2015. It wouldn't run any of the new apps or games, but it was good for phone, text messages and email. It was so old he dubbed it "T-Rex".

My first iPhone lasted me 10 years, but fell victim to the crappy power system here in 2019. I currently have a 10X which is fully paid for, and which I see no need to replace for the foreseeable future, unless the CPU gets fried. As a music lover, iTunes is the best $10.99 I spend in a month.

I hope to pay cash for my next iPhone. The Tab and the mandatory 10 Gig DataPlan for it cost me $150 a month. The 2 gig plan I'm currently on costs me $50 a month, so the 2 year plan cost me $2400 for the phone. I can buy a new iPhone for $700. I need that additional $1700 a whole lot more than the Rogers Family.
We don't spend that much for our phones--somewhere between $300 & $400 for each. And we are fortunate that our cable company, because we have cable, internet, and land line phone with them, give us free mobile phone service. We do pay $12/gig for data use each month but, while Hombre & I each have our own phone number, we share the service and together we have only exceeded a gig once. And the area coverage is great. So I figure $6 per month per phone for really good service is a pretty good deal. :)

Last edited:
I'm up late because we have a tornado watch till 3 am. The year after my husband passed away, it was scary being inside the house one evening when 5 small tornados went around my house after stripping the neighbor of half the roof on his beautiful house. Unfortunately, my weather map ap shows a dot where my place is, and there's going to be a two hour or more constant tornado watch above with my dot in the dead center of the length of the tornado-spawning red cloud on the map. :huddle:

Hey beautress i noticed you put a like to this post of mine,

did you do so cause you like the music of duran duran? how bout you Foxfyre,do you like duran duran?
Actually, I don't remember them, but I liked hearing both young and old versions that you published at your link. It could be that when they were popular, I was busy beyond imagination. I worked very hard 18 hour days at my quilt shop that included writing four student manuals on aesthetics of quilting and machine embroidery. From the time I unlocked my business door until crashing at night, I never listened to radio music. Before then, I was uber mom.to two kids ten times smarter than me. I was fortunate my husband was tolerant of my book writing. At least four years was spent doing that, and we had no social life except for church services on sunday. <giggle>

Forum List

Back