USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well with no intention of minimizing the problem for you--so many of us can relate--I'm thinking we ought to rename the Coffee Shop "The USMB Coffee Shop for Insomniacs"

And though Hombre's current hopefully temporary sleeplessness is a different thing now, I will say he went through many months, maybe years, of extreme fatigue--he couldn't sit down for even a few minutes of watching TV or a movie without dosing off. He finally did a sleep study and they said he was essentially waking up every few minutes during the night due to Apnea. They put him on a CPAP and it has made a tremendous difference. Alas not the problem for the rest of us here though.
I use a CPAP every night because I had severe apnea.

skydiving-png.126391

Actually got 7.5 hours straight sleep, God came through so I could make it to church. Even rode my bike there and back. When I got home started listening to songs and a couple made me think of Kat. I decided to give this one a try, it's dedicated to all of us who have lost loved ones near and dear to our hearts. Scars in Heaven by Casting Crowns, hope I've done it justice.

Actually got 7.5 hours straight sleep, God came through so I could make it to church. Even rode my bike there and back. When I got home started listening to songs and a couple made me think of Kat. I decided to give this one a try, it's dedicated to all of us who have lost loved ones near and dear to our hearts. Scars in Heaven by Casting Crowns, hope I've done it justice.

You did.

In a way it's kinda funny but I don't think I sound all that good and no, I'm not fishing for compliments, affirmation or accolades. Just singing around the house or with a music video I like what I hear, when I record it I think I could do much better, I sound different to myself. Listening to Home Free brought out that desire in me to start singing again, pretty sure I was led there. I mean come on, He gave me these gifts for a reason........

Last edited:
All that said I do want to thank you all for your positive reception to my vocals. Because of that I have been pushing myself particularly in my higher registers. Again, thank you.

In a way it's kinda funny but I don't think I sound all that good and no, I'm not fishing for compliments, affirmation or accolades. Just singing around the house or with a music video I like what I hear, when I record it I think I could do much better, I sound different to myself. Listening to Home Free brought out that desire in me to start singing again, pretty sure I was led there. I mean come on, He gave me these gifts for a reason........
Singing is like anything else. Doing it makes it better. My sister was an opera soloist before she married and started having five kids--her career was teaching choral music in schools then. I never had her voice but did sing in high school and college choirs and of course church choirs most of my life and directed choir for years and had a good enough voice to do some solo work. But now in my waning years I have no illusions that my voice is what it once was. But I still sing. :)

Singing is like anything else. Doing it makes it better. My sister was an opera soloist before she married and started having five kids--her career was teaching choral music in schools then. I never had her voice but did sing in high school and college choirs and of course church choirs most of my life and directed choir for years and had a good enough voice to do some solo work. But now in my waning years I have no illusions that my voice is what it once was. But I still sing. :)
I'm actually better now than I was in my 20s but then again I don't have the ego and pride that kept me from getting better back then...... Thank God!
I can hit my higher ranges now without having to go into falsetto discovering how to do that with vocal placement. What I struggled with when I recently began singing again was moving between my different vocal placements which led to croaking........ :lol:
I'm also kinda using you all as a sounding board as I develop my abilities.

Here I'm working on more of a bass-profundo which I'm not not naturally I'm more of a baritenor. I don't have the resonance of a Tim Faust or Avi Kaplan so here's my current best shot..........

Not bad but I prefer the baritone.
Yeah, I'm not all that happy with it either, wishful thinking on my part....... :cool:

Tim Faust and Peter Hollens do their version. Everything in this is done by only the two of them and they were on opposite ends of the Earth when they recorded this. Listen to Tim, especially his last note......... :eek:

Yeah, I'm not all that happy with it either, wishful thinking on my part....... :cool:

Tim Faust and Peter Hollens do their version. Everything in this is done by only the two of them and they were on opposite ends of the Earth when they recorded this. Listen to Tim, especially his last note......... :eek:

They're very good and the song is okay but there isn't enough in it to hold my attention for four minutes. I was ready for it to end by two. Did listen to the last note though. :)

I used to sing semi professionally, lead vocals back in my 20s, R&R band. As for the song it's not my original, I believe it's one of Home Free's originals which they began releasing not long ago. They still do cover songs though.
This is one of the very few times they actually have musical accompaniment With Chris Chatham playing guitar. Primarily they are one of the premier acapella groups around, known internationally but primarily through the internet. They are some of the most talented singers (with Adam Rupp the beat boxer who swallowed a drum kit when he was a kid......).

Tim Faust who starts out the song is the groups bass-profundo but he also has a 5 octave range so he can do Frankie Valli. Adam Chance the second singer is a baritenor (like me), Rob Lunquist, big guy with the thick beard is their low tenor and finally Austin Brown is the high tenor.

Great song, Ringel05, and what a beautiful background.

Forum List

Back