USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've got dinner prepared already, just need to cook it tonight. We are having Fajitas, which is one my favorite things to eat!

Fajitas.jpg

How neat.....you all have fajitas even in Australia.....I'm pleasantly amazed.

When I saw Noomi's post it was tongue biting time. :) I still recall a friend living in New York, one that had never been to the Southwest, who was absolutely in total disbelief that I could possibly know about good bagels and shmears out here on the desert. And nothing I could say would shake his particular bigotry about that.

So when Noomi mentioned fajitas last night, my immediate kneejerk reaction is that she, in Australia, could not possibly know what good fajita were. You have to be here in the heart of Mexican/New Mexican/southwestern cuisine to get great fajitas.

I resisted though. Because we can get great bagels here. And who am I to say that Australians don't make great fajitas. :)

You are absolutely right. But, I couldn't keep from thinking about the experiences I've had. When I lived in New Hampshire....there was one Mexican Restaurant, and people were always telling us that it was great (they knew I was from Texas)....so we finally decided to try it...and it was awful. Also, I couldn't find tortillas, corn or flower, in any grocery store, except in a can. That was weird. Maybe now you can.
Noomi's picture looks authentic fajitas like the ones I know. I wonder who introduced that delicacy to Australians though, and whether or not they have added their own twist in an attempt to make them better?

I can relate to your NH experience too. When we were last in Washington DC, our daughter took us to a restaurant (she hadn't tried it) recommended as absolutely the best Mexican food you could get in DC. It was PITIFUL!!! Not one authentic thing about it other than I think a tortilla might have been included in there somewhere. Ungodly expensive but quite disappointing. I have found some good Mexican/southwestern cuisine in Texas but you have to hunt for it amidst all the Tex-Mex places. When we lived in Kansas there was one family of cooks/chefs that made excellent Mexican food but they moved around to different restaurants a lot. We always checked to see where they were working before we went out for Mexican food because the rest of it was pretty bad.

The Mexican food you get in South Texas (around San Antonio) is a tad different than the one you get in New Mexico. My in-laws (brother/sister) live in Albuquerque and when we visit them they always want to take us to Mexican restaurants. I've always found that the New Mexico mexican food is always a bit too spicy (hot) for me, I have to ask them which dishes are less hot. Also, they seem to introduce some "indian" touches...like the blue corn chips with salsa. But, other than that, I think it is similar. And, yes, the food you get in San Antonio and surrounding area is Tex-mex, because when you go to Mexico, their mexican food is completely different.

I think I'm coming down with a cold.....my throat is sore and my head hurts and I've got that feeling you get when you're coming down with a cold........arghh.......

must be from my conversing with Noomi.......she must have transmitted it to me over the internet........argh................
sick+smiley.jpg

Mi Sh'berach. Now,I will get on to making that Jewish penicillin and sending it the Duchy of Mertex!!

It's official...I am coming down with something. I just hope I'm able to kick it soon.....I hate being sick.

You are in our Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Mertex, get better quickly, please.

Like Texas mextex better than NM hispanic food, but the difference to me is A to B+. I would have no trouble eating it regularly if I lived in Albuquerque.

Mertex re your 'bug' you're coming down with, I would recommend gargling with fairly strong salt water (don't swallow it) every couple of hours and also putting some honey and apple cider vinegar in a cup of very hot water and sipping that every now and then. And get some good cold tablets and get started. You may have waited too long to benefit much from the zinc stuff that can stop a head cold from coming on, but if you don't let the symptoms get fully wound up, it probably won't be so bad. If your getting the same kind of bug that we have been passing around here though it doesn't seem to be fatal, but it is tough sledding for a few days.

Foxfyre was absolutely right about what was ailing me. Unfortunate man that I am, I did not listen very quickly. The next three weeks were not fun.

Went up to the Springs today to go through the storage. Took lots of pictures of broken and damaged items, boxes marked fragile being crushed because they were put on the bottom of a pile of boxes..... Got about a third of it reorged and properly stored, I'm beat! There were two shelving units we were going to take with us but they were put back in the unit, major T-storms were coming in fast. Started raining as we finished up, hit a monster cell just a few miles south slowing everyone down to 20mph. Drove out of it into bright sunshine, hit more rain north of Walsenburg where we stopped for a "break". When we came out of the station/food mart we were hit with a huge dust/sand storm for about 10 miles then back into a major t-storm cell as we entered Trinidad...... Fun drive home. :lol:

Last edited:
Mertex re your 'bug' you're coming down with, I would recommend gargling with fairly strong salt water (don't swallow it) every couple of hours and also putting some honey and apple cider vinegar in a cup of very hot water and sipping that every now and then. And get some good cold tablets and get started. You may have waited too long to benefit much from the zinc stuff that can stop a head cold from coming on, but if you don't let the symptoms get fully wound up, it probably won't be so bad. If your getting the same kind of bug that we have been passing around here though it doesn't seem to be fatal, but it is tough sledding for a few days.

Thanks....I will certainly try the honey and apple cider vinegar remedy....after gargling with the salt water, especially right before I go to bed tonight, cause that is when my throat starts tickling and keeps me awake. I've been taking Alka Seltzer plus which takes away the headache and helps me from getting all clogged up in chest and nose and it hasn't been too bad, yet. Thanks for the suggestions.....I'll try anything that will help.

Passing through.
My Cardiologist gave me a thumbs up, told me he'd see me next year, Mrs O is recovering but has problems. hopefully we can fix some of it when she sees the Doc Wednesday.

Have a good week.....

Hi Ollie, nice to hear from you. Looks like you're doing A-OK.

I think I'm coming down with a cold.....my throat is sore and my head hurts and I've got that feeling you get when you're coming down with a cold........arghh.......

must be from my conversing with Noomi.......she must have transmitted it to me over the internet........argh................
sick+smiley.jpg

Hope its not a cold, sweetie. Feel better soon - dose yourself up as if it is a cold and hopefully it will help to ward it off.

Passing through.
My Cardiologist gave me a thumbs up, told me he'd see me next year, Mrs O is recovering but has problems. hopefully we can fix some of it when she sees the Doc Wednesday.

Have a good week.....

Nice to hear from you, Ollie! Glad you got the thumbs up, lets hope you continue, and I hope Mrs. O's problems can be fixed.

I really wish I was out of here. I just don't understand my mum. Good mood one moment, impossible the next. Last night we were watching Law and Order (I have it on DVD) and she was quite content to watch it with me. She answered a phone call then came out and asked me what happened at the end, and I told her. Then five minutes later she screams at me to turn it off. I thought she was okay with my watching it, so I couldn't understand why she went mental at me.

Then she and dad went into their room and she started complaining about me - and one of the things she complained about was about a few shirts I bought way back in 2010! Four years ago and she whinges? I don't get it. I really don't get it.

sick+smiley.jpg

Hope you feel better, Mertex. And yeah...when in doubt I blame Noomi as well. :D

sick+smiley.jpg

Hope you feel better, Mertex. And yeah...when in doubt I blame Noomi as well. :D

Gee thanks, lol.

Forum List

Back