USMB Coffee Shop IV

Yesterday we saw the first measurable snow of the season. It was wet, sloppy and made slush out of itself within a minute of hitting the ground. It was wonderful to see it fall and sometimes stick to noses and eyelashes, or so said Oscar Hammerstein. It made everything on lawns white and even. It acted in the best attribute of snow; it makes a marvelous sound insulator. The local bumpkins with poor mufflers could not rumble by making a grand din because of the insulating snowfall. It proved that God's plan for us contains bitter and sweet, and His plan is infallible.

But today...

Have you ever thought of the possibility that our universe is, in reality, just an apple seed inside one apple and one apple tree in a vast apple orchard in some other universe? And then you realize that our apple is falling! And it has been falling for a million years and today is the day it will finally hit the frozen ground in the winter of that other, vaster universe. And when it hits, it splits open, exposed and vulnerable beneath our particular apple tree. And along comes a black bear and it gobbles us up so we are swallowed into the black pit of that bear.

That's what Tuesday felt like.

I went from the comfort of God's great plan to atheistic nihilism. Fall can be a powerful season.

The temperatures barely made it over 20 today. My trusty car failed to start after work, succumbed by a dead battery. My Sister-in-Law's birthday is Thursday and I have yet to get a gift for her. And now my gift budget will get rocked by $100 after I buy a new battery.

And so, I adopt he Scarlet O'Hara philosophy: I'll worry about it tomorrow for, after all, tomorrow is another day!

Yesterday we saw the first measurable snow of the season. It was wet, sloppy and made slush out of itself within a minute of hitting the ground. It was wonderful to see it fall and sometimes stick to noses and eyelashes, or so said Oscar Hammerstein. It made everything on lawns white and even. It acted in the best attribute of snow; it makes a marvelous sound insulator. The local bumpkins with poor mufflers could not rumble by making a grand din because of the insulating snowfall. It proved that God's plan for us contains bitter and sweet, and His plan is infallible.

But today...

Have you ever thought of the possibility that our universe is, in reality, just an apple seed inside one apple and one apple tree in a vast apple orchard in some other universe? And then you realize that our apple is falling! And it has been falling for a million years and today is the day it will finally hit the frozen ground in the winter of that other, vaster universe. And when it hits, it splits open, exposed and vulnerable beneath our particular apple tree. And along comes a black bear and it gobbles us up so we are swallowed into the black pit of that bear.

I went from the comfort of God's great plan to atheistic nihilism. Fall can be a powerful season.

The temperatures barely made it over 20 today. My trusty car failed to start after work, succumbed by a dead battery. My Sister-in-Law's birthday is Thursday and I have yet to get a gift for her. And now my gift budget will get rocked by $100 after I buy a new battery.

And so, I adopt he Scarlet O'Hara philosophy: I'll worry about it tomorrow for, after all, tomorrow is another day!

Well we'll hope the sun comes out tomorrow while you think about it Nosmo. :) Seriously, all our mothers told us there would be days like that. They blessedly didn't tell us how many of them there would be. :) But you'll enjoy shopping for for your SIL's birthday I am guessing when you get to it, and I wish our current problems could be fixed with a $100 battery. Don't mean to make light of your difficulties, but I just found out I'm facing two root canals and crowns totaling $1,700 uninsured. So it's hard to be sympathetic.

But I'll try.

Last edited:
Whats up folks? getting ready for winter? it's hitting here. this week is going to be down in the teens.

Do you have all your firewood cut and stacked??
most of it. I have about 3 more chords to pull up to the house still.

Hombre would approve of your woodpile. It drives him nuts to see wood stacked directly against the house.
same here. I stack it in back a few hundred feet from the house all year and only bring it up near the house when it's getting cold and I'm ready to use it.

Even so you have it separated with the steps so it isn't right up against the house. That's a good thing. Do you protect it with a tarp or just leave it exposed on top?
i put tarps over it. a lot of that wood was freshly split so it's still drying out. but i'll cover it as soon as any snow accumulation is predicted

But today...

Well we'll hope the sun comes out tomorrow while you think about it Nosmo. :) Seriously, all our mothers told us there would be days like that. They blessedly didn't tell us how many of them there would be. :) But you'll enjoy shopping for for your SIL's birthday I am guessing when you get to it, and I wish our current problems could be fixed with a $100 battery. Don't mean to make light of your difficulties, but I just found out I'm facing two root canals and crowns totaling $1,700 uninsured. So it's hard to be sympathetic.

But I'll try.

But today...

But I'll try.

OMG Sherry, I haven't even thought about that song, much less heard it, in over 50 years. I'm pretty sure it was written before you were born. You can find the damndest things. . . .

But today...

But I'll try.

OMG Sherry, I haven't even thought about that song, much less heard it, in over 50 years. I'm pretty sure it was written before you were born. You can find the damndest things. . . .

I was born in '69 and that song was released as a single in '61.

I don't like being particularly cold or hot, but if I have to choose between the two weathers, I'll go with cold. It's just easier to get warm generally, plus I hate getting sweaty. My fashion choices might also have something to do with it; I wear jeans no matter the weather, I favor black, I've got fairly long hair. The one big problem with the colder weather is I think it may be worse on my psoriasis. I hate getting these cuts on my knuckles all the time!
Have you tried TriDerma Psoriasis Control? Works like a charm on mine.
As for hot and cold, give me cold any day especially at bedtime, I hate trying to sleep in hot weather.

I have not tried that. I have tried another OTC psoriasis medication that was salicylic acid based and did not like it, though. I've done better with a coal tar base. The next time I get some I'll try to remember that though and give it a shot, thanks. :)
If salicylic base doesn't work for you than this won't work, it's base is salicylic acid. Yours is obviously more acute than mine so you may have to stick with the col tar ones.

I don't think the one I've used had much in the way of useful inactive ingredients; I figure it's possible that the salicylic acid would work OK with certain inactive ingredients, and the one you recommended had beezewax, aloe, etc. I've actually been using coconut oil lately; someone gave it to me and, while it hasn't been anything special, it at least moisturizes some. :p

I don't like being particularly cold or hot, but if I have to choose between the two weathers, I'll go with cold. It's just easier to get warm generally, plus I hate getting sweaty. My fashion choices might also have something to do with it; I wear jeans no matter the weather, I favor black, I've got fairly long hair. The one big problem with the colder weather is I think it may be worse on my psoriasis. I hate getting these cuts on my knuckles all the time!
Have you tried TriDerma Psoriasis Control? Works like a charm on mine.
As for hot and cold, give me cold any day especially at bedtime, I hate trying to sleep in hot weather.

I have not tried that. I have tried another OTC psoriasis medication that was salicylic acid based and did not like it, though. I've done better with a coal tar base. The next time I get some I'll try to remember that though and give it a shot, thanks. :)
If salicylic base doesn't work for you than this won't work, it's base is salicylic acid. Yours is obviously more acute than mine so you may have to stick with the col tar ones.

I don't think the one I've used had much in the way of useful inactive ingredients; I figure it's possible that the salicylic acid would work OK with certain inactive ingredients, and the one you recommended had beezewax, aloe, etc. I've actually been using coconut oil lately; someone gave it to me and, while it hasn't been anything special, it at least moisturizes some. :p
I was getting some spots on my eyelids of all places, but I have been putting cocoa butter LIGHTLY on it and it went away. When I told the dermatologist, she said that was a great plan. On my scalp, not so much since I hve long hair. She gave me some kind of RX shampoo for that. Its under control now but dayum...I have to use this shampoo forever now I guess. And thank goodness cocoa butter (helene curtis) is cheap and lasts forever.

But today...

But I'll try.

I was born in '69 and that song was released as a single in '61.

Well, at least you are still old enough to remember when music had melodies. :)

Was just thinking about Nosmo's apple within an apple metaphor. Our son came up with something similar awhile back--maybe each atom or even smaller particle is actually a whole universe with a larger one and a still larger one etc. etc. etc. And then he dug it home--think about how many universes would be in that log you just pitched into the fire. :)

I just made my list for the grocery store tomorrow. Mr Gracie is eager to get those large freezer bags full of yummies for the crock pot!

Beef stew cubes
4 lbs Hamburger meat
3 pkgs chicken breasts
2 pkgs boneless pork chops thick cut
2 tenderloins
Baby back ribs
2 small hams

and all the ingredients I don't currently have in the pantry.

Forum List

Back