USMB Coffee Shop IV

Chowda has a r in it?
Yes, but due to longstanding puritanical blue laws in Massachusetts, R's are illegal.

If you think they sound funny, visit Narragansett of Cranston (pronounced kvaaaanstin), RI

Where I come from, we talk completely normal with no accent whatsoever. We even pronounce the word "milk" properly as in melk. Never understood why it's always spelled with an "I".

Chowda has a r in it?
In that area if a word ends in an A they put an R at the end of it, if it ends in an R they put an A at the end of it...... :eusa_whistle:

You know, I hear politicians talk that way, but most everyone I know does not do that. We do leave Rs out. Like "shock" instead of Shark, etc., but no, in my area we don't add extra letters. I think only the Kennedys do that. :D

Chowda has a r in it?
Yes, but due to longstanding puritanical blue laws in Massachusetts, R's are illegal.

If you think they sound funny, visit Narragansett of Cranston (pronounced kvaaaanstin), RI

Where I come from, we talk completely normal with no accent whatsoever. We even pronounce the word "milk" properly as in melk. Never understood why it's always spelled with an "I".

I say milk. :D

Chowda has a r in it?
In that area if a word ends in an A they put an R at the end of it, if it ends in an R they put an A at the end of it...... :eusa_whistle:

Different parts of Massachusetts have a bit of differences in accents. The closer to Boston you get, the more accentuated the accent. I have a friend whose boyfriend's name is Mark, and she will call for him like "MOCK!!" Lol. She is from Walpole Massachusetts. They tend to have more of an accent.

I'm t
I prefer New England to Manhattan, but prefer Rhode Island to either.

Their chowda is the same as ours. :D They are also part of New England. I live very close to RI. Closer to RI than to Boston.
I'm talking clear chowdeR

I've never heard of such a thing. I only know red and white. White is the best, as far as I'm concerned. It's rich and creamy, thick and delicious. Very hearty and filling too. :) You must have it with clam cakes. That is the BEST!

Love clam cakes or stuffed clams but down along the coast just east of the CT line, they make clear chowder very buttery and well seasoned, thyme and sage, I believe.

data=U4aSnIyhBFNIJ3A8fCzUmaVIwyWq6RtIfB4QKiGq_w,gJHV3577cZ2z_2eaju64_5BRv9LI_TkJqaK_Ht79zVsgjSu0lApHyLpk2xcvoqHGJdyO7xYIFqDS8vXZ5wNEcxSLYT2FXgJ-y6enpIcd3cly_Hfp_SYTGXq5WGkpzqU_dAVSH5LuxHxJraH4GAGp4U_ZwLX5cz_77pqfbkIi5HQNU2iw3_Q9rR3FP2-dnvpSsKdSGVWXoAkfip5N5A

Just for an FYI, I live in between Brockton, Providence and Plymouth, in that little area. Of course, my city is quite small and not named on the map. As you can see, I am much closer to RI than to Boston. The further north you go towards Boston, the worst the accent seems to get. OTOH, New Bedford people and Fall River people also have a thick accent which is a bit different from those in the Boston area.

It's kind of hard to explain unless you've lived here. :D

Apparently some of my relatives were on the boat right after the Mayflower. I guess they moved before Boston was born.

Forum List

Back