USMB Coffee Shop IV

Me too. I stopped buying Folgers and Maxwell House.....we only get Douwe Egbert, Dunkin Donut, Starbucks, Gevalia. We'll try a new brand once, but not again if we don't like it.

I don't think I could ever buy Douwe Egbert, but not for any logical reason. It's because when I lived in Europe I picked up the habit of rolling my own cigarettes, and that was the brand of loose tobacco I commonly bought. So their name is permanently associated with tobacco in my head and that just pollutes the impression of coffee.

Gevalia I tried once when they were doing those subscription offers, long ago. Weakest watered down slightly brown liquid I've ever had. It was like dishwater. Never tried Dunkin Donuts except in the store, where I found it decent for a fast food joint. It would have to be cheaper to buy it for home. I'll confess that I'm on Starbux right now, French Roast of course, because it's been on sale.

The Tanzanian Peaberry I got as my free World Market coffee a while back, I found a way to get rid of it by mixing it with FR about 1 to 10 ratio, so it's still French Roast with a slight twist.

For a few years I had regular deliveries of Peet's coming in, which wasn't available locally, but that just gets too expensive, so unless I do find Peet's on sale or something like that I bite the bullet and get the store brand bulk beans just to get me through to the next sale or splurge.

You need to give Douwe Egbert a try....it's the best we have ever had. It's expensive and you have to buy it online. I don't know of any place that carries it.

I don't either -- in the States I've only seen it in hotels, and even then rarely.

Maybe I should save an old Peet's bag and put it in there. :coffee: Far as I perceive, Peet's is probably the pinnacle of percolative perfection.

Last edited:
I don't think I could ever buy Douwe Egbert, but not for any logical reason. It's because when I lived in Europe I picked up the habit of rolling my own cigarettes, and that was the brand of loose tobacco I commonly bought. So their name is permanently associated with tobacco in my head and that just pollutes the impression of coffee.

Gevalia I tried once when they were doing those subscription offers, long ago. Weakest watered down slightly brown liquid I've ever had. It was like dishwater. Never tried Dunkin Donuts except in the store, where I found it decent for a fast food joint. It would have to be cheaper to buy it for home. I'll confess that I'm on Starbux right now, French Roast of course, because it's been on sale.

The Tanzanian Peaberry I got as my free World Market coffee a while back, I found a way to get rid of it by mixing it with FR about 1 to 10 ratio, so it's still French Roast with a slight twist.

For a few years I had regular deliveries of Peet's coming in, which wasn't available locally, but that just gets too expensive, so unless I do find Peet's on sale or something like that I bite the bullet and get the store brand bulk beans just to get me through to the next sale or splurge.

You need to give Douwe Egbert a try....it's the best we have ever had. It's expensive and you have to buy it online. I don't know of any place that carries it.

I don't either -- in the States I've only seen it in hotels, and even then rarely.

Maybe I should save an old Peet's bag and put it in there. :coffee: Far as I perceive, Peet's is probably the pinnacle of percolative perfection.
Many hotels and restaurants serve Community Coffee. Tastes very good but my favorite coffee for almost 70 years is Eight-O-Clock. In Europe they make coffee strong enough to float a brick.

Many hotels and restaurants serve Community Coffee. Tastes very good but my favorite coffee for almost 70 years is Eight-O-Clock. In Europe they make coffee strong enough to float a brick.

Obviously different tastes for different people. I tried Eight-O-Clock coffee, suffered through a whole bag of it, never again.

Don't make me some hero...I had ten guys out there with me today and no doubt there were a hundred (Or Hundreds) of other groups just like us doing pretty much the same thing all over the country.....

Looks like Sophia might be in danger of being buried in an avalanche, should those boulders become dislodged.

I get the impression that the pic on the right was taken first, given the "wtf" look on Sophia's face, and then Jayne sat down. Sophia was going to keep an eye out for anything getting knocked over.

Or it could be what Sicilians call malocchio -- the Evil Eye :eek:

I find it fantastic that we are all keeping abreast of these photos so well.

Bravo, mammary-team, bravo!!!

Still milking it in a spirit of tit for tat, I see... :eusa_shifty:

Well despite the uh, bounteous support, I think the idea of pics of celebrities having their hair set on fire to stack up against Stats' celebrities has been a bust. :( There are braly any more out there.

To put it flatly, despite my breast intentions I was an udder boob to think there would be more than a mouthful of such pics. :crybaby:

So --- new plan, I think this will go much better.

Today's pic of a pol driving his car straight into a lake:

lbj-amphicar.jpg

The President, with Vicky McCammon in the seat alongside him and me in the back,was now driving around in a small blue car with the top down. We reached a steep incline at the edge of the lake and the car started rolling rapidly toward the water. The President shouted, ‘The brakes don’t work! The brakes won’t hold! We’re going in! We’re going under!’ The car splashed into the water. I started to get out. Just then the car leveled and I realized we were in a Amphicar. The President laughed. As we putted along the lake then (and throughout the evening), he teased me. ‘Vicky, did you see what Joe did? He didn’t give a damn about his President. He just wanted to save his own skin and get out of the car.’ Then he’d roar. -- Joe Califano

Happy weekend all :coffee:

Last edited:
Don't make me some hero...I had ten guys out there with me today and no doubt there were a hundred (Or Hundreds) of other groups just like us doing pretty much the same thing all over the country.....
I applied for Honors detail at my VFW but all the slots were filled with Korean War guys. (I'm a youngster at 74) So they sent me to the VA clinic in Charlotte as a greeter and wheel chair jockey one day a week. Then about 3 years ago I started at the airport USO in Charlotte. Meet a great bunch of young troops twice a week. Todays military has a fantastic array of patriotic Americans.

I applied for Honors detail at my VFW but all the slots were filled with Korean War guys. (I'm a youngster at 74) So they sent me to the VA clinic in Charlotte as a greeter and wheel chair jockey one day a week. Then about 3 years ago I started at the airport USO in Charlotte. Meet a great bunch of young troops twice a week. Todays military has a fantastic array of patriotic Americans.

:thup:

I get the impression that the pic on the right was taken first, given the "wtf" look on Sophia's face, and then Jayne sat down. Sophia was going to keep an eye out for anything getting knocked over.

Well despite the uh, bounteous support, I think the idea of pics of celebrities having their hair set on fire to stack up against Stats' celebrities has been a bust. :( There are braly any more out there.

To put it flatly, despite my breast intentions I was an udder boob to think there would be more than a mouthful of such pics. :crybaby:

Today's pic of a pol driving his car straight into a lake[/URL]:

lbj-amphicar.jpg

The President, with Vicky McCammon in the seat alongside him and me in the back,was now driving around in a small blue car with the top down. We reached a steep incline at the edge of the lake and the car started rolling rapidly toward the water. The President shouted, ‘The brakes don’t work! The brakes won’t hold! We’re going in! We’re going under!’ The car splashed into the water. I started to get out. Just then the car leveled and I realized we were in a Amphicar. The President laughed. As we putted along the lake then (and throughout the evening), he teased me. ‘Vicky, did you see what Joe did? He didn’t give a damn about his President. He just wanted to save his own skin and get out of the car.’ Then he’d roar. -- Joe Califano

rofl_logo.jpg

Only legal if said pol is driving his car into a lake whilst drinking coffee and keeping abreast of starlets mammary needs°°°!!!

Me too. I stopped buying Folgers and Maxwell House.....we only get Douwe Egbert, Dunkin Donut, Starbucks, Gevalia. We'll try a new brand once, but not again if we don't like it.

I probably didn't phrase it correctly but I hate Starbucks. As for the rest I try to buy Free Trade coffees as much as possible which excludes all the ones you posted. :dunno:

There is a great shop where I live, called CONTIGO, which offers Free Trade coffees, and they are excellent. More expensive, but excellent.

You just motivated me to cook an evening coffee!!!
I'm not much of a coffee person, except for the two cups of espresso that I have with breakfast in the morning. I need coffee to start my day, otherwise my production level drops. I don't discriminate on the type of espresso, any will do.

Years ago I was drinking Folgers coffee instead, but at one point it just wasn't effective anymore, no matter how much I drank.

I probably didn't phrase it correctly but I hate Starbucks. As for the rest I try to buy Free Trade coffees as much as possible which excludes all the ones you posted. :dunno:

There is a great shop where I live, called CONTIGO, which offers Free Trade coffees, and they are excellent. More expensive, but excellent.

I'm not much of a coffee person, except for the two cups of espresso that I have with breakfast in the morning. I need coffee to start my day, otherwise my production level drops. I don't discriminate on the type of espresso, any will do.

Years ago I was drinking Folgers coffee instead, but at one point it just wasn't effective anymore, no matter how much I drank.

Drinking espresso is like getting drunk and thinking your ex-wife is a saint... Too much of a jolt to your system when you think about it.

Today is way too busy for a Saturday. I was up early catching up on my USMB 3 'Rs' but then I headed out to the gym and did a full set of exercises and just 3 laps in the pool cuz time was slipping away. Home for some breakfast and cleaning around the house for the guests this evening. Then it was off on errands. Arrived home, remembering to bring the ice, so Mrs Te wouldn't make me head on out again. I was supposed to put the umbrellas up but Mrs Te can't recall what she did with them after she washed them last Fall. They are nowhere to be found! :eek:

Got to head out soon to pick up the food. Serving mexican and for the number of guests it is easier to just buy it from one of the excellent establishments around here. We will be making a couple of special dishes for those who have food allergies too. Drinks are in the cooler and I need to go and check the attic just in case the umbrellas ended up in there. :lol:

Catch you all later...or tomorrow. Whichever comes first! :D

Tis a noble thing you do Hossfly. I have participated in the groups welcoming returning warriors home at the airport. You just never quite get used to it enough that a lump doesn't form in your throat and you don't blink back tears.

My crystal ball says that before sun down we will have a new Triple Crown winner! Go, California Chrome, Go!!!

Starbucks is not our very favorite, but it is better than Folers/Maxwell House. The ones I mentioned may not be Free Trade, but they sure are good. I just want to make sure I'm not getting monkey poop in it, no matter how good they claim it makes it.

I have no issue with the type of food and drink people like, though I far from above teasing them about those choices........ :D

Neither do I. People like things for different reasons. I had been drinking Folgers and Maxwell House for ages, then we decided to try the more expensive types....there are still some I absolutely don't like, but we decided that Dunkin Donuts and Gevalia were better.

I still don't like the Keurig. My husband uses it every day, I brew my own on a separate coffee maker. I don't like my coffee ultra strong, so me making my own is better for me.
One of my sons likes it so strong it wakes up the neighbors...well, not that strong, but I certainly don't let him make the coffee for the rest of us when he visits...:lol:

I also like to add a little salt to the ground coffee before brewing...it makes it smoother.

Starbucks is not our very favorite, but it is better than Folers/Maxwell House. The ones I mentioned may not be Free Trade, but they sure are good. I just want to make sure I'm not getting monkey poop in it, no matter how good they claim it makes it.

I have no issue with the type of food and drink people like, though I far from above teasing them about those choices........ :D

Neither do I. People like things for different reasons. I had been drinking Folgers and Maxwell House for ages, then we decided to try the more expensive types....there are still some I absolutely don't like, but we decided that Dunkin Donuts and Gevalia were better.

I still don't like the Keurig. My husband uses it every day, I brew my own on a separate coffee maker. I don't like my coffee ultra strong, so me making my own is better for me.
One of my sons likes it so strong it wakes up the neighbors...well, not that strong, but I certainly don't let him make the coffee for the rest of us when he visits...:lol:

I also like to add a little salt to the ground coffee before brewing...it makes it smoother.

Today's pic of a pol driving his car straight into a lake:

lbj-amphicar.jpg

Pogo, you were so udderly obvious.

Folgers is all my buddy drinks. I usually manage to gag down a cup to be polite when he offers.

Forum List

Back