USMB Coffee Shop IV

After days of 80+ heat we're over cast and cool. Shut all windows and doors but one and I'm thinking about closing that one as well......

Buy your coffee at World Market too, I see.
I keep the Amalfi at the bar.
I brew it strong in a French press there. I use a Cuban style espresso for my ultra high test which I brew in a stove top pressure percolator espresso pot

We enjoy a good blend when we take time to do it. But coffee is coffee when we are in a hurry.

Sorry, I will only do "cheap" coffee if there is nothing else available or if the only thing available is Starbucks, then it's off to 7-11........ :thup:

Me too. I stopped buying Folgers and Maxwell House.....we only get Douwe Egbert, Dunkin Donut, Starbucks, Gevalia. We'll try a new brand once, but not again if we don't like it.

We enjoy a good blend when we take time to do it. But coffee is coffee when we are in a hurry.

Sorry, I will only do "cheap" coffee if there is nothing else available or if the only thing available is Starbucks, then it's off to 7-11........ :thup:

Me too. I stopped buying Folgers and Maxwell House.....we only get Douwe Egbert, Dunkin Donut, Starbucks, Gevalia. We'll try a new brand once, but not again if we don't like it.

I probably didn't phrase it correctly but I hate Starbucks. As for the rest I try to buy Free Trade coffees as much as possible which excludes all the ones you posted. :dunno:

I probably didn't phrase it correctly but I hate Starbucks. As for the rest I try to buy Free Trade coffees as much as possible which excludes all the ones you posted. :dunno:

:thup:

There is a great shop where I live, called CONTIGO, which offers Free Trade coffees, and they are excellent. More expensive, but excellent.

You just motivated me to cook an evening coffee!!!

Well its a beautiful day. I have a list of things a mile long to do. honestly, i'll be happy to get through a quarter mile of them. if I don't get started I won't get through an eighth lol first on the list. tint the skylights.

My son an I have been talking about putting in a G Scale outdoor model railway. We've always struggled where to put it. I think I thought of the perfect spot. So maybe we'll be adding that to the list

Pics, or it, ah, will not have happened :D

Model trains are da bomb. We dabbeld when I was kids, my dad had this huge green plywood board on which we set up the HO set, once we modernized beyond his childhood orango O gauge Lionel set. But one night we went to see some distant neighbor who got seriously into it, with his whole little resort town set up on a massive scale. We were probably not there a half hour yet I still remember it vividly.

Good morning everybody. Appreciating Ollie for all he does for our departed servicemen. Nobody serves and is forgotten in his part of the world.

I'm wondering how neat it would be to be able to have the metabolism to be able to enjoy a Whopper and root beer for a late evening snack? Thinking how much fun it would be to teach a precocious nine-year-old how to sew doll clothes and would I be starting another Coco Chanel out on a magnificent career? Did Pogo ever say whether Hobbes came down out of the tree so I can quit worrying about that? Wishing I had remembered to tell Hombre to plug in the slow cooker when he got up this morning--he usually gets up a couple of hours before I do, and Big Sister was hungry for pinto beans today--I had them soaking over night. Thinking the coffee is extra good this morning and trying to decide if we want oatmeal or pancakes for breakfast.

Pretty good Saturday so far. :)

Thanks Foxy. I've been trying not to think about it because it's such a helpless feeling but Hobbes is still in his crow's nest. He was there when I got home last night in the dark and he's still there now. And it's getting to be a hot day. I'm going to go back and stand there and try to plead for him to come down but it hasn't worked yet.

Back home again, The family didn't think to notify us or that we would even be there since bob had dropped his membership in the Legion a few years back. We didn't go last night because that is the time we do our service for active members but this morning we went in did our final salute, then stood Honors when they loaded him in the Hearst for his last ride. Had the Funeral Director hold them up for 2 minutes to give us time to beat them to the cemetery were we again stood honors while he was unloaded. Two guys from the Navy detail folded the flag and presented it to our Chaplain who then presented it to the Widow.
Then the family invited us to lunch.....Of course we knew that; they're Italian.......

Good morning everybody. Appreciating Ollie for all he does for our departed servicemen. Nobody serves and is forgotten in his part of the world.

I'm wondering how neat it would be to be able to have the metabolism to be able to enjoy a Whopper and root beer for a late evening snack? Thinking how much fun it would be to teach a precocious nine-year-old how to sew doll clothes and would I be starting another Coco Chanel out on a magnificent career? Did Pogo ever say whether Hobbes came down out of the tree so I can quit worrying about that? Wishing I had remembered to tell Hombre to plug in the slow cooker when he got up this morning--he usually gets up a couple of hours before I do, and Big Sister was hungry for pinto beans today--I had them soaking over night. Thinking the coffee is extra good this morning and trying to decide if we want oatmeal or pancakes for breakfast.

Thanks Foxy. I've been trying not to think about it because it's such a helpless feeling but Hobbes is still in his crow's nest. He was there when I got home last night in the dark and he's still there now. And it's getting to be a hot day. I'm going to go back and stand there and try to plead for him to come down but it hasn't worked yet.

Oy, Gewalt.

Back home again, The family didn't think to notify us or that we would even be there since bob had dropped his membership in the Legion a few years back. We didn't go last night because that is the time we do our service for active members but this morning we went in did our final salute, then stood Honors when they loaded him in the Hearst for his last ride. Had the Funeral Director hold them up for 2 minutes to give us time to beat them to the cemetery were we again stood honors while he was unloaded. Two guys from the Navy detail folded the flag and presented it to our Chaplain who then presented it to the Widow.
Then the family invited us to lunch.....Of course we knew that; they're Italian.......

Mangiare, mangiare, a piacere!!!

I don't think I could ever buy Douwe Egbert, but not for any logical reason. It's because when I lived in Europe I picked up the habit of rolling my own cigarettes, and that was the brand of loose tobacco I commonly bought. So their name is permanently associated with tobacco in my head and that just pollutes the impression of coffee.

Gevalia I tried once when they were doing those subscription offers, long ago. Weakest watered down slightly brown liquid I've ever had. It was like dishwater. Never tried Dunkin Donuts except in the store, where I found it decent for a fast food joint. It would have to be cheaper to buy it for home. I'll confess that I'm on Starbux right now, French Roast of course, because it's been on sale.

The Tanzanian Peaberry I got as my free World Market coffee a while back, I found a way to get rid of it by mixing it with FR about 1 to 10 ratio, so it's still French Roast with a slight twist.

For a few years I had regular deliveries of Peet's coming in, which wasn't available locally, but that just gets too expensive, so unless I do find Peet's on sale or something like that I bite the bullet and get the store brand bulk beans just to get me through to the next sale or splurge.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Sophia. She sez the hand with the cigarette was moving, and she was scanning the area to see if it was about to burn anything important.

And if it wasn't, she was ready to help guide it. :eusa_shifty:

Ok smarty, call her back and ask her to explain the image on the right.:D

mansfield-loren.jpg

First you gotta splain what that guy at the top finds more interesting in the other direction. :D

Looks like Sophia might be in danger of being buried in an avalanche, should those boulders become dislodged.

Ok smarty, call her back and ask her to explain the image on the right.:D

mansfield-loren.jpg

First you gotta splain what that guy at the top finds more interesting in the other direction. :D

Looks like Sophia might be in danger of being buried in an avalanche, should those boulders become dislodged.

I get the impression that the pic on the right was taken first, given the "wtf" look on Sophia's face, and then Jayne sat down. Sophia was going to keep an eye out for anything getting knocked over.

Or it could be what Sicilians call malocchio -- the Evil Eye :eek: She looks more interested than the guys.

I'm sure the first thing Jayne said to Sophia was, "hey - my eyes are up here".

Last edited:

Starbucks is not our very favorite, but it is better than Folers/Maxwell House. The ones I mentioned may not be Free Trade, but they sure are good. I just want to make sure I'm not getting monkey poop in it, no matter how good they claim it makes it.

I get the impression that the pic on the right was taken first, given the "wtf" look on Sophia's face, and then Jayne sat down. Sophia was going to keep an eye out for anything getting knocked over.

Or it could be what Sicilians call malocchio -- the Evil Eye :eek:

I find it fantastic that we are all keeping abreast of these photos so well.

Bravo, mammary-team, bravo!!!

Good morning, Foxy!
Ollie is a treasure, indeed. Imagine if more people were as attentive and respectful as he is? Oh, wait, there are you and Hombre, with all your service at the hospital and hospice. I'm sure loads of CS denizens serve in some way when time allows.
I hope your sister is enjoying her visit, and that you are, too. Have a wonderful day.

I don't think I could ever buy Douwe Egbert, but not for any logical reason. It's because when I lived in Europe I picked up the habit of rolling my own cigarettes, and that was the brand of loose tobacco I commonly bought. So their name is permanently associated with tobacco in my head and that just pollutes the impression of coffee.

Gevalia I tried once when they were doing those subscription offers, long ago. Weakest watered down slightly brown liquid I've ever had. It was like dishwater. Never tried Dunkin Donuts except in the store, where I found it decent for a fast food joint. It would have to be cheaper to buy it for home. I'll confess that I'm on Starbux right now, French Roast of course, because it's been on sale.

The Tanzanian Peaberry I got as my free World Market coffee a while back, I found a way to get rid of it by mixing it with FR about 1 to 10 ratio, so it's still French Roast with a slight twist.

For a few years I had regular deliveries of Peet's coming in, which wasn't available locally, but that just gets too expensive, so unless I do find Peet's on sale or something like that I bite the bullet and get the store brand bulk beans just to get me through to the next sale or splurge.

You need to give Douwe Egbert a try....it's the best we have ever had. It's expensive and you have to buy it online. I don't know of any place that carries it.

Starbucks is not our very favorite, but it is better than Folers/Maxwell House. The ones I mentioned may not be Free Trade, but they sure are good. I just want to make sure I'm not getting monkey poop in it, no matter how good they claim it makes it.

I have no issue with the type of food and drink people like, though I far from above teasing them about those choices........ :D

Forum List

Back