USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning and Happy Friday all! I hope everyone has a great day.

Does anybody have any fun plans this weekend? This is the first time in 3 weeks that I will not have guests visiting so I plan on relaxing. There is a new exhibit featured at Phipps Conservatory (Tropical Forest Congo) that begins tomorrow and I am very excited to attend. Plus they still have the Orchid and Tropical Bonsai exhibit on display. I could spend all day wandering the greenhouses and gardens. I am blessed to have a green-thumb that I inherited/learned from my Grandmother.

Those green thumbs are special. I sort of have one too--at least people use me as their intensive care ward for ailing house plants. But I can't claim the passion you have for the greenhouses and gardens--I love to see them and enjoy them but would not choose that for a day's activities.

Sometimes I wonder what it is in our DNA or genes or psyche or whatever that does excite us? You enjoy wandering the gardens. I am drawn to horses--never tire of watching them, being with them, riding them. Or office supply stores. I can spend hours wandering the aisles just looking at all the stuff. And I've always wondered why.

And maybe that's Mrs. BBD's fascination with Wally World? Or she just loves to shop and that offers the most variety?

I love horses! I spent quite a few years on a farm as kid/teen. My family has lived in this area for many generations and we are mainly farmers, miners, and, mill workers. Oddly enough, I got my love of flora and fauna from those years of back-breaking labor. I spent most of my time in the greenhouse or tending to the horses, pigs, chickens, and, cows. I try and visit the farm to go horseback riding several times a year but I haven't been able to since November. I am itching for nice long ride. We used to play "release" for hours in the cornfields. Though I do live in the city now I am still a country guy at heart.

Refresh my memory mdk. Where are you? I've pretty much got everybody else located in my head at least to the region of the country where they are, but no clue where you are. (Or I'm old and just forgot.)

I am from the sticks of Western Pennsylvania but I live in Pittsburgh now.
My condolences........ :D

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Does anybody have any fun plans this weekend? This is the first time in 3 weeks that I will not have guests visiting so I plan on relaxing. There is a new exhibit featured at Phipps Conservatory (Tropical Forest Congo) that begins tomorrow and I am very excited to attend. Plus they still have the Orchid and Tropical Bonsai exhibit on display. I could spend all day wandering the greenhouses and gardens. I am blessed to have a green-thumb that I inherited/learned from my Grandmother.

Those green thumbs are special. I sort of have one too--at least people use me as their intensive care ward for ailing house plants. But I can't claim the passion you have for the greenhouses and gardens--I love to see them and enjoy them but would not choose that for a day's activities.

Sometimes I wonder what it is in our DNA or genes or psyche or whatever that does excite us? You enjoy wandering the gardens. I am drawn to horses--never tire of watching them, being with them, riding them. Or office supply stores. I can spend hours wandering the aisles just looking at all the stuff. And I've always wondered why.

And maybe that's Mrs. BBD's fascination with Wally World? Or she just loves to shop and that offers the most variety?

I love horses! I spent quite a few years on a farm as kid/teen. My family has lived in this area for many generations and we are mainly farmers, miners, and, mill workers. Oddly enough, I got my love of flora and fauna from those years of back-breaking labor. I spent most of my time in the greenhouse or tending to the horses, pigs, chickens, and, cows. I try and visit the farm to go horseback riding several times a year but I haven't been able to since November. I am itching for nice long ride. We used to play "release" for hours in the cornfields. Though I do live in the city now I am still a country guy at heart.

Refresh my memory mdk. Where are you? I've pretty much got everybody else located in my head at least to the region of the country where they are, but no clue where you are. (Or I'm old and just forgot.)

My husband is from the sticks of the north west part of Pennsylvania. :)

• Thanks

Aw come on. Lotsa neat peeps, including some of our Coffee Shoppers, live in Pennsylvania. At any rate, MDK et all make it a more interesting place. :)

• Thanks

Aw come on. Lotsa neat peeps, including some of our Coffee Shoppers, live in Pennsylvania. At any rate, MDK et all make it a more interesting place. :)
Pittsburgh...... not Pennsy......... :D

Around the Warren or Crawford County Area? I have loads of friends in Erie County.

lol. I love it here. I don't ever want to leave the area. I do like to travel but this place is always home.

Last edited:

lol. I love it here. I don't ever want to leave the area. I do like to travel but this place always home.
Honestly my last few experiences with Pittsburgh was over 20 years ago. Every time I drove by it the area looked dirty, everything up to 10 miles out looked covered in soot, that's the visual I'm left with. :dunno:

lol. I love it here. I don't ever want to leave the area. I do like to travel but this place always home.

We have a good friend who lives in Philly. She was the executor of my beloved cousin's estate--the cousin was Aunt Betty and Uncle Ed's only daughter which is mostly why Hombre and I are the only ones left to look after them - both are now 88.

The friend retired from a quite successful career with Merck, her husband I think retired from a law firm, and they started a new business operating gourmet popcorn kiosks in shopping malls, airports, et al--you know the fancy flavored popcorns that you pay an arm and a leg for? They've been doing that for some time now but don't know how it is working out for them.

Honestly my last few experiences with Pittsburgh was over 20 years ago. Every time I drove by it the area looked dirty, everything up to 10 miles out looked covered in soot, that's the visual I'm left with. :dunno:

20 years ago that would be exactly the visual the city projected. We suffered greatly when our heavy industry evaporated in 70's and 80's. We endured a mass exodus of citizens and those that stayed found the area decimated economically and ecologically. The last 20 years have been a real boon for the region as we have become cleaner, greener, and more importantly we now have a diversified economy. Pittsburgh is swiftly becoming one of the places to be nowadays. You can't open the paper without reading about new major housing or commercial development. We still have our problems but we have turn the corner. It is an exciting time to be Pittsburgher.

20 years ago that would be exactly the visual the city projected. We suffered greatly when our heavy industry evaporated in 70's and 80's. We endured a mass exodus of citizens and those that stayed found the area decimated economically and ecologically. The last 20 years have been a real boon for the region as we have become cleaner, greener, and more importantly we now have a diversified economy. Pittsburgh is swiftly becoming one of the places to be nowadays. You can't open the paper without reading about new major housing or commercial development. We still have our problems but we have turn the corner. It is an exciting time to be Pittsburgher.
Sooooo, economically and ecologically Pittsburgh was only reduced by 10%.........? :eusa_whistle:

You guys in the coastal states, especially in the southeast, protect yourselves from mosquito bites. Apparently a new and really vicious bug is being brought in there from the Caribbean: Caribbean blues Mosquito virus is sickening more travelers - Houston Chronicle

I protect myself from mosquitoes by not going outside. :lol:

LOL. Me too recently. But mosquitos are not a problem in Albuquerque. We frequently keep our unscreened front door wide open in the fall and spring and nary see a mosquito--maybe get one fly a year.

Good Morning everybody

funny-animals-163.jpg

I think it's funny that you and ChrisL used the same dog for your morning post. :) Or it sure looks like the same dog to me. Ya'll aren't related are you?

I just saw Peach's. Cute. :)

We are not related that I'm aware of though. Just a coincidence. :D

I didn't see ChrisL's either till I just now read your post Foxfyre.
Yes it is just a coincidence, especially since neither one of us saw it at the time we posted
It's really funny. :)
This must be pug Friday. :biggrin:

The Master Suite renovation officially begins at the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate this weekend. The custom chest of drawers might be delivered, if my cabinet maker's driveway ever thaws out. The bi-fold doors will be delivered next week. The new television and soundbar and all the connective gizmos have been delivered. Wallpaper and paint colors have been determined. The ultra cool lighting and all the cedar lining for the two new large closets are already at home.

That means this is destruction weekend. I will be sleeping in the Great Hall on the sleeper sofa. Daisy the Mutt will have to make an adjustment as the sleeper sofa is a twin size mattress, not affording her enough room to stretch out and find a comfortable spot in the center of the mattress.

I expect construction to begin next weekend and the Master Suite should be habitable sometime around the 25th. It will be messy and totally inconvenient for the duration, but once it's finished it should be spectacular!

I'll post 'before' pictures, putting the room in the worst possible condition. Look for after pictures, well, after.

Around the Warren or Crawford County Area? I have loads of friends in Erie County.

McKean County, Kane

• Thanks

McKean County, Kane

Truly a beautiful area, I've gone camping in McKean County on several occasions. The Allegheny National Forrest is one the best spots in the state to star gaze.

The Master Suite renovation officially begins at the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate this weekend. The custom chest of drawers might be delivered, if my cabinet maker's driveway ever thaws out. The bi-fold doors will be delivered next week. The new television and soundbar and all the connective gizmos have been delivered. Wallpaper and paint colors have been determined. The ultra cool lighting and all the cedar lining for the two new large closets are already at home.

That means this is destruction weekend. I will be sleeping in the Great Hall on the sleeper sofa. Daisy the Mutt will have to make an adjustment as the sleeper sofa is a twin size mattress, not affording her enough room to stretch out and find a comfortable spot in the center of the mattress.

I expect construction to begin next weekend and the Master Suite should be habitable sometime around the 25th. It will be messy and totally inconvenient for the duration, but once it's finished it should be spectacular!

I'll post 'before' pictures, putting the room in the worst possible condition. Look for after pictures, well, after.

Yup. I learned a long time ago that a sure fire way to generate postiive oohs and ahs were to show something at its worst in the 'before photos' before showing them the 'after'. :)

But I'm a little jealous Nosmo. We would dearly love to do some major remodeling, especially in the kitchen area and one of the back bedrooms, but alas, the funds just aren't there at this time. And neither of us is willing to go back to work to get them. :)

Yup. I learned a long time ago that a sure fire way to generate postiive oohs and ahs were to show something at its worst in the 'before photos' before showing them the 'after'. :)

But I'm a little jealous Nosmo. We would dearly love to do some major remodeling, especially in the kitchen area and one of the back bedrooms, but alas, the funds just aren't there at this time. And neither of us is willing to go back to work to get them. :)
A sneek peek at the bed my cabinet maker is building:

resize

Wallpaper and border:

kraft_glenwood_gr_200.jpg

kraft_thornberry_200.jpg

Closet doors (two of 'em)

7ec285bc-9796-4419-920a-f7d4d3086ade_145.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back