USMB Coffee Shop IV

By the way everybody, SfcOllie reports that Mrs. O is home from the hospital today. We'll keep her on the list awhile longer until it appears the crisis has completely passed.

I'm signing out early tonight as Hombre and I are starting a long movie and I probably won't be back tonight.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
GW's daughter's friend Sachendra,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Foxfyre's Aunt Betty,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

Dropped the wife off at the interview, about five minutes from the hotel, will head back over in about an hour if she doesn't call me first.
The hotel is the Windham at the airport, not bad but I would have gone with an updated room, they put us in the "cheap seats"........ basically a small room, we're used to bigger and better. Guess one has to go slumming sometime........ :lol:
The funny thing is one almost needs a step ladder to get into the bed, any higher and I'd need altitude sickness pills. :D

I need a stool to get into my bed.:redface:

Always good to poop before bed...

Looking out of my window this morning I see that it's snowing which confirms what the weatherman said on the morning news. We are supposed to get an inch or so today to go along with the cold temp. Tomorrow it is supposed to warm up to the 20's. About the only thing good here today is the nice, hot, heart-warming coffee. All the dogs and cats are in a semi-coma and could care less because they are warm, inside, and have a good supply of treats. What a life these critters lead.

When I started the car this morning, the dashboard thermometer read 43 degrees. Of course, the car is in the garage in the basement. I backed out of the driveway, turned right and drove to the end of the block. Now, the dashboard thermometer read 29. Up McKinnon Avenue for four blocks to the stop light at the corner of St. Clair Avenue and McKinnon and the dashboard thermometer read -7.

Our outdoor posture is slumped shoulders, hands thrust deep into pockets, heads down so the breeze does not freeze eyes and noses shut, a grimace (not a cringe or wince) plastered across the face, mincing little steps to avoid the icy patches. No one has their shoulders back, head held high, long confident strides all in the beautiful people milieu of the fashion show catwalk or promenade along Rodeo Drive or South Beach Florida. We are not an attractive lot of humans in the depths of winter.

Pop used to say that sweet peas are to be planted by the light of the moon on St. Patrick's Day. The way things are today, with twenty five days to go, a hoe won't be able to scratch out a furrow until sometime in mid May. The sun hangs in the sky like a four month old baby. It's pretty, but far away from doing any practical work like heating up the Ohio River Valley.

Let us instead take solace in the fact that today is Friday. That should be enough to satisfy us during any other time of the year.

Last edited:
We are planning to sell the house about July or August. Once that is done, we will decide to find a new place together or split the equity and move on. Thank you for your concern and helpful ideas Foxfyre.

Mama Fox ((hugs)) Prayers will continue. Just don't give up on a long marriage without trying every resource available to you.

So far my strategy involved a big hug yesterday morning, I moved to her side of the bed and warmed it up before she got in and put gas in her car this morning when it was negative 2.
Seems like a reasonable approach. I wouldn't mind if someone put fuel in my truck when it was freeze-your-nuts cold!

Blood flow in that area seems adequate to avoid freezing. :)

I got a, "you are appreciated" note in my chair when I went home for lunch. Mrs. Liberty was off to work, so I haven't caught up to her yet. Wrote back a few nice lines to her and stuck it under her pillow.

:clap2: The greatest emotional need a human-being has is to feel appreciated, to which I can attest. Marriage, business jobs, sports and more. saveliberty, you and your love are on the right track. Impressive progress. :thup:

Last edited:
Sometimes, working in the land of corporate stupid can be entertaining.
Work just pushed out some online training about EEOC, Diversity and Harrassment.
Seems that people can't call me things like "old timer", "grandpa" or "senior", but there is nothing preventing me from calling them "junior", "child", "kid" or "youngin".
I plan on having fun with this company policy.

Good for you alan1. I hope you do a bang-up job of it all. :thup: PC run a mock.

OK now! Finally some encouraging news about my partner Max. He had a bone biopsy done several days ago. They collected bone and marrow samples and a tissue sample at the site of the infection. Wound cultures came back negative and we should have the bone cultures back today. There was a bit of high fives and back slapping going on, but I'm reserving full party mode for this afternoon.

When I started the car this morning, the dashboard thermometer read 43 degrees. Of course, the car is in the garage in the basement. I backed out of the driveway, turned right and drove to the end of the block. Now, the dashboard thermometer read 29. Up McKinnon Avenue for four blocks to the stop light at the corner of St. Clair Avenue and McKinnon and the dashboard thermometer read -7.

Our outdoor posture is slumped shoulders, hands thrust deep into pockets, heads down so the breeze does not freeze eyes and noses shut, a grimace (not a cringe or wince) plastered across the face, mincing little steps to avoid the icy patches. No one has their shoulders back, head held high, long confident strides all in the beautiful people milieu of the fashion show catwalk or promenade along Rodeo Drive or South Beach Florida. We are not an attractive lot of humans in the depths of winter.

Pop used to say that sweet peas are to be planted by the light of the moon on St. Patrick's Day. The way things are today, with twenty five days to go, a hoe won't be able to scratch out a furrow until sometime in mid May. The sun hangs in the sky like a four month old baby. It's pretty, but far away from doing any practical work like heating up the Ohio River Valley.

Let us instead take solace in the fact that today is Friday. That should be enough to satisfy us during any other time of the year.
Foley, Alabama five day forecast.

Friday 02/20 55 | 50 °F
partlycloudy.svg
Friday 0% Precip. / 0 in
A mix of clouds and sun. High near 55F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph.

nt_partlycloudy.svg
Friday Night 0% Precip. / 0 in
Mostly cloudy skies this evening will become partly cloudy after midnight. Low around 50F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.

Saturday 02/21 68 | 58 °F
mostlycloudy.svg
Saturday 10% Precip. / 0 in
Partly cloudy skies in the morning will give way to cloudy skies during the afternoon. High 68F. Winds SSE at 15 to 25 mph.

nt_chancerain.svg
Saturday Night 70% Precip. / 0.16 in
Steady light rain in the evening. Showers continuing late. Thunder possible. Low 58F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Sunday 02/22 72 | 43 °F
chancetstorms.svg
Sunday 50% Precip. / 0.02 in
Scattered thunderstorms. High 72F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

nt_mostlycloudy.svg
Sunday Night 20% Precip. / 0 in
Mostly cloudy skies. Low 43F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph.

OK now! Finally some encouraging news about my partner Max. He had a bone biopsy done several days ago. They collected bone and marrow samples and a tissue sample at the site of the infection. Wound cultures came back negative and we should have the bone cultures back today. There was a bit of high fives and back slapping going on, but I'm reserving full party mode for this afternoon.

Great news Ernie. But we'll keep him on the list for a bit longer.

We're forecast for a high of 70 today--really above-average for this time of year. But tomorrow a high of 65, and a high of 50 on Sunday and then mid 50's to low 60's for the next several days. A low of 32 on Sunday night but no sub-freezing temps in the forecast. So we're still feeling like spring here. Looks like we'll have to settle for that couple of days or so in January for our 2014/15 winter.

I'm having a good time teasing my daughter this morning. Earlier, the temp where she is in NC was about the same as here. At least the forecast for Alaska indicates our temps will rise above freezing by this afternoon. In NC, yeah...not so much! Bwahahaha!

I watched the news this morning on the weather.
It seems Iceland is warmer than N.Y. right now. :)
It's nice here in the 70's and partly cloudy.

We are planning to sell the house about July or August. Once that is done, we will decide to find a new place together or split the equity and move on. Thank you for your concern and helpful ideas Foxfyre.

Mama Fox ((hugs)) Prayers will continue. Just don't give up on a long marriage without trying every resource available to you.

So far my strategy involved a big hug yesterday morning, I moved to her side of the bed and warmed it up before she got in and put gas in her car this morning when it was negative 2.
Seems like a reasonable approach. I wouldn't mind if someone put fuel in my truck when it was freeze-your-nuts cold!

You know what? I am old enough to remember when you drove your car to the gas station where pleasant attendants immediately swarmed to your car to check the oil and tire pressure, cleaned your windshield and headlights, all while they pumped the gas into your car.

And the last time I was pumping gas in my car in 40 mph winds with sleet stinging my skin, I could cheerfully have strangled whoever thought pumping your own gas was a good idea.
Ditto, Foxy! Did you know that in Oregon, it's illegal to pump your own gas?

Why is it illegal? Do they charge extra to pump it? I think around here you pay more for full serve than self serve. Also, around here we don't have hardly ANY full service stations. Most of them are self service.

Hi coffee shop! It was 2 degrees here in MA this morning when I woke up and put the television on. It has now warmed up to 17 degrees. :lol: That doesn't even include wind chill. Brrrrr. :huddle: Hugs for warmth!

I've been thinking about you Chris, and chatting with friends in DC who are having the coldest weather in at least 20 years. If the Atlantic whole coast starts freezing up, I think we may need a new game plan or something. Just be sure you have a way to keep warm no matter what happens.

Was just reading on the AOL news:
"At least 72 daily record lows have been set Friday morning from Connecticut to Florida to as far west as Indiana, including major cities such as New York, Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Detroit and Cincinnati."

They were saying DC has not been this cold since the 1880's? Or maybe ever. . . .

Forum List

Back