Virginia’s Top Elections Official Warns of Possible Delays due to USPS in Mail-In Voting This Year

Commissioner of Elections Susan Beals on Wednesday expressed concerns with the operational performance of the U.S. Postal Service ahead of the 2024 presidential election in Virginia, warning that mail-in ballots may not be processed in time to be counted.

“Election officials depend on the U.S. mail service to deliver ballots to voters and to return ballots to election officials,” Beals told members of the Virginia House of Delegates Privileges and Elections Committee at a meeting in Richmond. “What I am hoping to change is the expectation of voters, that if I put my ballot in the mail five days before election day that it is going to get there. You need to plan further out than that.”

Beals, who was appointed as Virginia’s commissioner of election by Gov. Glenn Youngkin in March 2022, responded to a question by Del. Phillip Scott, R-Fredericksburg, who had asked what she considered “the biggest threat” to the upcoming election.

Beals said since before the 2023 election cycle, the Department of Elections has seen issues with mail-in ballots cast by voters who had been living in the same house for decades.

“For example, the registrar tries to mail you a ballot and it gets mailed back to the registrar with one of those yellow stickers,” Beals said. “We had some cases where voters were trying to mail their ballot to an elections office and it’s being returned to the voter. We’ve had long delivery times and we’ve had examples of ballots that were sitting in the processing centers for days.”

The Postal Service has faced significant challenges in delivering mail-in ballots on time since the 2020 presidential election. The surge in mail-in voting due to the COVID-19 pandemic strained the postal system, leading to delays and concerns about the timely counting of votes.

Damn shame it has come to this.

We used to have "excused reason only" absentee balloting.....Now (due to dems) it's no excuse needed.

I've not seen any problems in my AO but they say down around Richmond mail can sit at a hub for weeks.

Many time sensitive businesses down that way have went to Fed-Ex or UPS.

Just burn anything coming in after Election Day

People who are endorsing Harris are handling millions of mail in ballots....perhaps the temptation will be too great and well....they might help her a bit....or a lot.

Just saying :dunno:
And we already know that we have many Democrats embedded in the government who are willing to do whatever it takes to prevent the people from electing Trump.

And we already know that we have many Democrats embedded in the government who are willing to do whatever it takes to prevent the people from electing Trump.
not saying it couldnt happen but a career postal employee would be pretty stupid to throw away how many years they have put in for a few ballots....plus they may get prosecuted for doing it...

• Five years in prison for interfering with the mail. For each instance.
  • Years in prison for election interference. For each instance.
  • Additional fines. For each instance.
  • Loss of pension.
  • Loss of job.

Sound like something more likely to be done by a cultist.

WW

Yup…..the Dems do what they can do enable a steal.
The Republicans in their legislature made "no excuse" absentee voting in Florida, years ago.

This isn't a Democrats Only thing. Pennsylvania Republican Majority legislature voted in no excuse absentee voting a couple of years prior to the 2020 election.

I have voted using no excuse absentee voting for a decade or two, in 3 states that I've lived.

I won't vote any other way! I love it! It makes it so much easier, when you have a busy schedule, or travel for work, or live in a place where you have nor-easters and ice storms that are a hit or miss that time of the year....

The greatest thing about absentee voting is getting the ballot, and having the time to research each candidate or each referendum question....thoroughly.... before you cast your vote...it really is awesome!

My husband likes voting in person, even during COVID....that is just how he likes to vote... And he likes to show off his I VOTED sticker they give him....I swear that's the only reason he likes in person! :😁. Anyway, when he goes in to vote on election day, he drops off my absentee ballot.

The Republicans in their legislature made "no excuse" absentee voting in Florida, years ago.

This isn't a Democrats Only thing. Pennsylvania Republican Majority legislature voted in no excuse absentee voting a couple of years prior to the 2020 election.

I have voted using no excuse absentee voting for a decade or two, in 3 states that I've lived.

I won't vote any other way! I love it! It makes it so much easier, when you have a busy schedule, or travel for work, or live in a place where you have nor-easters and ice storms that are a hit or miss that time of the year....

The greatest thing about absentee voting is getting the ballot, and having the time to research each candidate or each referendum question....thoroughly.... before you cast your vote...it really is awesome!

My husband likes voting in person, even during COVID....that is just how he likes to vote... And he likes to show off his I VOTED sticker they give him....I swear that's the only reason he likes in person! :😁. Anyway, when he goes in to vote on election day, he drops off my absentee ballot.
It makes cheating more likely - and the integrity of the election is paramount above all.

Commissioner of Elections Susan Beals on Wednesday expressed concerns with the operational performance of the U.S. Postal Service ahead of the 2024 presidential election in Virginia, warning that mail-in ballots may not be processed in time to be counted.

“Election officials depend on the U.S. mail service to deliver ballots to voters and to return ballots to election officials,” Beals told members of the Virginia House of Delegates Privileges and Elections Committee at a meeting in Richmond. “What I am hoping to change is the expectation of voters, that if I put my ballot in the mail five days before election day that it is going to get there. You need to plan further out than that.”

Beals, who was appointed as Virginia’s commissioner of election by Gov. Glenn Youngkin in March 2022, responded to a question by Del. Phillip Scott, R-Fredericksburg, who had asked what she considered “the biggest threat” to the upcoming election.

Beals said since before the 2023 election cycle, the Department of Elections has seen issues with mail-in ballots cast by voters who had been living in the same house for decades.

“For example, the registrar tries to mail you a ballot and it gets mailed back to the registrar with one of those yellow stickers,” Beals said. “We had some cases where voters were trying to mail their ballot to an elections office and it’s being returned to the voter. We’ve had long delivery times and we’ve had examples of ballots that were sitting in the processing centers for days.”

The Postal Service has faced significant challenges in delivering mail-in ballots on time since the 2020 presidential election. The surge in mail-in voting due to the COVID-19 pandemic strained the postal system, leading to delays and concerns about the timely counting of votes.

Damn shame it has come to this.

We used to have "excused reason only" absentee balloting.....Now (due to dems) it's no excuse needed.

I've not seen any problems in my AO but they say down around Richmond mail can sit at a hub for weeks.

Many time sensitive businesses down that way have went to Fed-Ex or UPS.
Never heard of any issues near me. Maybe a GOP attempt to restrict voting? We have collection boxes that I use that bypass the USPS. Seem to work fine.

It makes cheating more likely - and the integrity of the election is paramount above all.
It doesn't make cheating more likely, at all! Not when it is the legal registered voter that requested the ballot to be sent to them at their address.

You can't just order in bulk the absentee ballots of a bunch of dead people left on a voter roll, as example....

Each individual ballot, has to be requested individually....and you need to know specific information on the individual voter, and list where to mail your ballot....some thief.... say they somehow got or created a list of dead voters....each one of those requests for a ballot in the name if a dead registered voter, would need an address put on the request, to mail the requested absentee ballot....

Is the thief going to use their own address to receive the dead person's ballot they illegally requested?

HECK NO! It's a felony! They wouldn't want to be caught!

There are many checks in place in the absentee ballot system, that prevents fraud by the masses.

Forum List

Back