Was Trump Wiretapped? Just the facts.

Maybe because sanctions with Russia are an asinine idea that will accomplish nothing.

Really, how about the uranium one company that the Russians bought a controlling interest in? We could impose export sanctions keeping Russia them from sending any of the uranium out of the country. Win - Win.
That is another conversation for another thread. Such a sanction's viability relies on facts not presented here. I was discussing the sanctions in relation to the hacking allegations.

Maybe because sanctions with Russia are an asinine idea that will accomplish nothing.

Really, how about the uranium one company that the Russians bought a controlling interest in? We could impose export sanctions keeping Russia them from sending any of the uranium out of the country. Win - Win.
That is another conversation for another thread. Such a sanction's viability relies on facts not presented here. I was discussing the sanctions in relation to the hacking allegations.
How would you have recommended responding to the intelligence report that concluded that Russia interfered with our election? Obama instituted some sanctions but wasn't too aggressive, i'm guessing because he was on his way out. Would you have wanted him to be more aggressive or do nothing in the wake of the report?

Sanctions are sanctions. They hack us, we cut off their uranium. Why stop at expelling diplomats. As you said, sanctions don't work, but that's one Putin would pay attention to, because it costs him money.

How would you have recommended responding to the intelligence report that concluded that Russia interfered with our election? Obama instituted some sanctions but wasn't too aggressive, i'm guessing because he was on his way out. Would you have wanted him to be more aggressive or do nothing in the wake of the report?

Obama acted to be neutral to the November 2016 election. He didn't make the russian hacking public, because that would have been seen as an attack on Trump.

Obama acted to be neutral to the November 2016 election. He didn't make the russian hacking public, because that would have been seen as an attack on Trump.
I agree... I'm interested in how FA_Q2 responds

I am not entirely sure what would have been a viable course of action here. I do not necessarily fault Obama for the sanctions and I do not necessarily fault Trump for removing them or working to that end. The sanctions are, IMHO, nothing more than political theater as they have no bite considering that trade there is damn near non-existent. The real Russian economic engine is with its close neighbors and oil trade - things that were effected with the sanctions for Crimea but not the hacking sanctions.

I think more covert operations such as increasing our digital operations in their nation (which is sorely lacking) and screwing with Putin's control of information over there would have been a better response - IOW what you do here will be done there. We need to be shifting some of that military spending on hardware to military spending on our electronic capabilities. Further, we are on shaky ground to begin with to complain about Russian interference considering that we have, on several occasions, interfered ourselves with national election processes. Perhaps if we want to do anything we should stop being hypocritical and sticking our nose everywhere it does not belong.

Perhaps we should also consider having political parties that are not corrupt in the first place so that releasing their emails is not some massive revelation. I know, I know. This last one is nothing more than fantasy but one can still hope, right?

Perhaps we should also consider having political parties that are not corrupt in the first place so that releasing their emails is not some massive revelation. I know, I know. This last one is nothing more than fantasy but one can still hope, right?

They should never release video of how sausage is made.

They should never release video of how sausage is made.
lol. Sure they should and have.

Well, that is hot dogs but they are even worse.
Sausages:

They say "all natural sausage casing" - I almost fell off my chair. Hilarious. They do not want to actually say what the all natural casing is.

They say "all natural sausage casing" - I almost fell off my chair. Hilarious. They do not want to actually say what the all natural casing is.

They describe the filling as 'meat' without going into the specifics of what parts of the animal they came from.

I am not entirely sure what would have been a viable course of action here. I do not necessarily fault Obama for the sanctions and I do not necessarily fault Trump for removing them or working to that end. The sanctions are, IMHO, nothing more than political theater as they have no bite considering that trade there is damn near non-existent. The real Russian economic engine is with its close neighbors and oil trade - things that were effected with the sanctions for Crimea but not the hacking sanctions.

I think more covert operations such as increasing our digital operations in their nation (which is sorely lacking) and screwing with Putin's control of information over there would have been a better response - IOW what you do here will be done there. We need to be shifting some of that military spending on hardware to military spending on our electronic capabilities. Further, we are on shaky ground to begin with to complain about Russian interference considering that we have, on several occasions, interfered ourselves with national election processes. Perhaps if we want to do anything we should stop being hypocritical and sticking our nose everywhere it does not belong.

Sanctions can be painful... Look what they did to Iran, Cuba, and North Korea... They are a way to respond to bad actors that won't necessarily provoke a wartime situation. You are right that there is an element of political theater involved but I understand that complete inaction just keeps the door open to more abuse. Reacting too strongly may jeopardize other areas and relationships that my benefit our country.

Sanctions can be painful... Look what they did to Iran, Cuba, and North Korea... They are a way to respond to bad actors that won't necessarily provoke a wartime situation. You are right that there is an element of political theater involved but I understand that complete inaction just keeps the door open to more abuse. Reacting too strongly may jeopardize other areas and relationships that my benefit our country.
Sanctions CAN be painful. These specific sanctions did nothing. They were never really serious to begin with because sanctions against Russia are not effective without unilateral support from our European allies. That is why there was such a big deal getting them on board with the Crimea situation.

I also never stated that there should be no action at all. I said what actions we should take.

They describe the filling as 'meat' without going into the specifics of what parts of the animal they came from.
At least that is somewhat close. The casing is likely the most 'off putting' part of the process if you ask me. They might not state what part of the animal it comes from because I do not even think they know - the left over pieces that go into the mix might vary quite a bit depending on where those leftovers are coming from.

People have good reason to believe obama stooped that low. The guy was determined to get Hillary elected for a reason.

I think it was to hide the criminal BS he was doing.

Sanctions CAN be painful. These specific sanctions did nothing. They were never really serious to begin with because sanctions against Russia are not effective without unilateral support from our European allies. That is why there was such a big deal getting them on board with the Crimea situation.

I also never stated that there should be no action at all. I said what actions we should take.
So bringing it back to this situation with a lame duck president weeks away from leaving office... he could have either done nothing or something right? Taking forceful aggressive action would have been irresponsible given he was about to pass the reigns so they most likely determined the best course was to institute some light sanctions and then see where Trump takes it. Trump could have easily doubled down on more aggressive actions or backed off from the sanctions, which is what he seems to be doing.

So bringing it back to this situation with a lame duck president weeks away from leaving office... he could have either done nothing or something right? Taking forceful aggressive action would have been irresponsible given he was about to pass the reigns so they most likely determined the best course was to institute some light sanctions and then see where Trump takes it. Trump could have easily doubled down on more aggressive actions or backed off from the sanctions, which is what he seems to be doing.

The problem is that Trump through Flynn told the Russians they could ignore the Obama sanctions, because as soon as Trump got into power, Trump would reverse them. While sounding like a reasonable action, it in fact undermined the sanctions.

The problem is that Trump through Flynn told the Russians they could ignore the Obama sanctions, because as soon as Trump got into power, Trump would reverse them. While sounding like a reasonable action, it in fact undermined the sanctions.
That appears to be true but unfortunately it's Trumps responsibility now

These threads are always so much fun.

Was Trump wiretaped. It's not rocket science--"if you're calling someone, or they're calling you and they're wiretaped"--obviously you're also (by default) being wiretaped. Da Duh. But you can say that Trump wasn't "personally being wiretaped" and you're still within that legal defintion.

Clearly Trump has lied again--stating he had no contact with Paul Manafort after Manafort left the campaign, apparently they were still in communication throughout the transistion including while Trump is sitting in the Oval office.
With a Picked Lock and a Threatened Indictment, Mueller’s Inquiry Sets a Tone

Again the ONLY person is who covering all of this in detail is your Nemisis MSNBC--Rachel Maddow. Which is why her rating & viewership have soared past FOX NEWS and CNN>
In Trump era, Rachel Maddow starts beating Fox News
Rachel Maddow crushes Fox News in August; CNN gaining fast

But you can stay with your right wing talk show hosts to get all of the DIVERSION news if you want.

th

These threads are always so much fun.
Yes, they are. Even after all the months since this thread was created, there still exists no evidence Trump Towers was wiretapped.

DOJ: No evidence Trump Tower was wiretapped

The Department of Justice said in a court filing Friday it has no evidence that former President Obama ordered the wiretapping of Trump Tower, despite President Trump’s assertions

Forum List

Back