Wayfair to pay $15 an hour minimum

This is great. Goes to show that it can be done.
This is how it should be done. Not by government force.
Right but a lot of companies don’t give cost of living increases when they should. Decades could go by they won’t give raises except to the ceos
I wouldnt work for a place like that :dunno:
Oh so you think it’s easy to find another company that pays better and will hire you? I don’t think most people in America have that luxury. I bet if most people lost their job tomorrow, they’d be unemployed for at least a couple few months and they’ll probably end up at another company making just about the same or less.

If only it were that easy to just go find another job that pays more. If it were that easy itd be great. Then I would agree with you.

I make almost $100k. It’s very possible if I lost my job I would not find another company that would pay me as well. I’d probably have to go prove I’m worth it and a lot of times companies don’t give you a raise even when you are worth it. I’ve seen my company let people go rather Than give a raise. I think most companies and employees know it’s the corporations who are in the drivers seat here.

If the democrats would stop sending our jobs to China, we wouldn't have that problem...you doofus.

Corporations do that but you understand that. You just felt a need to lash out.

Right but a lot of companies don’t give cost of living increases when they should. Decades could go by they won’t give raises except to the ceos
Oh so you think it’s easy to find another company that pays better and will hire you? I don’t think most people in America have that luxury. I bet if most people lost their job tomorrow, they’d be unemployed for at least a couple few months and they’ll probably end up at another company making just about the same or less.

If only it were that easy to just go find another job that pays more. If it were that easy itd be great. Then I would agree with you.

I make almost $100k. It’s very possible if I lost my job I would not find another company that would pay me as well. I’d probably have to go prove I’m worth it and a lot of times companies don’t give you a raise even when you are worth it. I’ve seen my company let people go rather Than give a raise. I think most companies and employees know it’s the corporations who are in the drivers seat here.

If the democrats would stop sending our jobs to China, we wouldn't have that problem...you doofus.

Nope....the leadership of those corporations are left wingers ....... and they love Chinese money.......just ask hollywood, apple, disney and any other number of democrat party allied corporations..

Nope....the leadership of those corporations are left wingers ....... and they love Chinese money.......just ask hollywood, apple, disney and any other number of democrat party allied corporations..

Corporations all the same. What say you we hammer them with higher taxes for the harm they have done?

It might be hard for you, but you cant speak for all of America.

One person can land the better job. Millions of others that need to work can not.
Dude, if you cant find a job that pays over 15 bucks an hour, you are either a complete loser or a teenager.

One person can. Millions can not.
Only one person can find a job making 15 bucks or above? What?

You understand.
No i dont. Please elaborate

Yes you do. No one is taking the $10 an hour job because there are so many out there paying $15.
What pays 10 bucks an hour? A part time job at a convenience store? Starting pay through a third party employer? Starting pay for a shitty little factory?
I have a "shitty little facory" and I pay 8,000 /hr. 8 Thousand.....colones

Corporations all the same. What say you we hammer them with higher taxes for the harm they have done?
And that solves what?

It's just silly to suggest people have not gotten a raise in 20 years
Do you know what inflation is? Our raises haven’t kept up with inflation. Meanwhile the CEO’s pay has quadrupled. He got a good raise. Your raise didn’t even keep up with inflation.

Raises wer not given out during the bush years and certa8nly weren’t given after his Great Recession. Remember? Slowest recovery ever? Not for the rich. They recovered nicely.
I got several raises in the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II(the biggest raises), Obama and Trump. Maybe those people you knew that didn’t get raises should have smartened up and changed where they decided to worked.
Sealy is an ignorant leftist. Doesn't understand free markets. Don't waste your time.
I understand the difference between a employers market and an employees market.

I don’t want to hear about papags personal experience. I’m going by national averages. Fact is, labor is not doing as well as they did twenty years ago and CEOs are doing better than ever. That means employers are giving themselves big raises but not their employees.

If you want to talk about personal experience I got a $45,000 raise on Obama’s watch.
Again, free markets. Contractors and plumbers are doing better too. Hire a plumber now vs 10 yrs ago. Rates have nearly doubled. Free markets. Don’t want that plumber try to hire a cheaper one who is good. Free markets work. Sorry you don’t understand how. And you lie about your raise. You told me you only make $80k per yr
Again, there is no such thing as a free market. In Michigan you must hold a state license to work as a plumber. It’s regulated by the government. A truly free market I could do plumbing without having to jump through that hoop. Government sets the rules. I’m sure you would be ok with not requiring plumbers be licensed.
Ahhh....that is because of the bureaucrats but in their defense they don't want hacks without cred working on homes. Get your license and plumb away. You also should self insure. They are protecting the consumer. Not the same thing.
The middle class is the creation of government intervention in the marketplace. Liberal democracies created the middle class. The government for example passed a progressive tax. Free market cons want a flat tax. But we know a flat tax won’t work except for rich people. So our government set the rules. If corporations had their way they’d pay no taxes. Only employees and consumers would.

Government sets a minimum wage because free markets would pay $2 hr if they had the power.

Government allows labor to organize into unions. Unions are not free market capitalism. And unions brought wages up, not free market capitalismm.

Capitalism is the best ism but only when properly regulated by government.
#1) I support a flat tax based on %. How about a 25% tax and a 2% federal consumption tax. Rich people consume more and more expensive products so you kill two birds with one stone. Significantly reduce the IRS and simplify our overly complex tax code.

#2) You vilify the "rich people" why? Trevor Lawrence is a good guy now but once he signs his NFL contract he suddenly becomes evil because he is rich? Seems odd.

#3) Gov't should not set the min wage and free markets would pay what was necessary to provide the best goods and or services or go out of business. Raising the min wage to $15 creates an incentive to replace workers with machines. No sick days, no human errors, no health insurance. Many fast food places do that now.

#4) Gov't should interfere as little as possible IMO.
If a company can save money automating, they’re going to. Don’t threaten me that they will automate if we force them to pay a fair wage. They’ll automate eventually no matter what. And the people who they do employ will make good money.

How you going to force them to pay a fair wage? We all know $15 an hour is fair in Mississippi but in New York City it should be $35 an hour
Whatever solution I propose you'll just cry class warfare or call me a commie.

Honestly, I think it's up to two groups of workers to organize into unions. Walmart and McD employees.

Walmart is our largest employer. It used to be GM. GM could send jobs overseas. Walmart can't.

And if Walmart workers in Red states don't want to organize, they don't have to. Just don't ask for the same wages northern employees make. They earned that higher pay.
The problem is once again they don't want unions and two I gave you my two solutions

What's yours, I would like to hear them
1. Go after illegal employers. When they stop hiring illegal workers, Americans will no longer have to compete with illegals and pay will go up.

2. A tax on the mega rich

3. A law saying no ceo can make more than 200 or 300 times the average worker. Fortune 500 companies only. Big tax on companies who break the law.

4. tariff manufacturing if the product can be made in America.

5. Strenghten social security and Medicare.

6. Pro union policies

7. Stop legal immigration until wages go up

Do you know what inflation is? Our raises haven’t kept up with inflation. Meanwhile the CEO’s pay has quadrupled. He got a good raise. Your raise didn’t even keep up with inflation.

Raises wer not given out during the bush years and certa8nly weren’t given after his Great Recession. Remember? Slowest recovery ever? Not for the rich. They recovered nicely.
I got several raises in the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II(the biggest raises), Obama and Trump. Maybe those people you knew that didn’t get raises should have smartened up and changed where they decided to worked.
Sealy is an ignorant leftist. Doesn't understand free markets. Don't waste your time.

I don’t want to hear about papags personal experience. I’m going by national averages. Fact is, labor is not doing as well as they did twenty years ago and CEOs are doing better than ever. That means employers are giving themselves big raises but not their employees.

If you want to talk about personal experience I got a $45,000 raise on Obama’s watch.
Again, free markets. Contractors and plumbers are doing better too. Hire a plumber now vs 10 yrs ago. Rates have nearly doubled. Free markets. Don’t want that plumber try to hire a cheaper one who is good. Free markets work. Sorry you don’t understand how. And you lie about your raise. You told me you only make $80k per yr
Again, there is no such thing as a free market. In Michigan you must hold a state license to work as a plumber. It’s regulated by the government. A truly free market I could do plumbing without having to jump through that hoop. Government sets the rules. I’m sure you would be ok with not requiring plumbers be licensed.
Ahhh....that is because of the bureaucrats but in their defense they don't want hacks without cred working on homes. Get your license and plumb away. You also should self insure. They are protecting the consumer. Not the same thing.
The middle class is the creation of government intervention in the marketplace. Liberal democracies created the middle class. The government for example passed a progressive tax. Free market cons want a flat tax. But we know a flat tax won’t work except for rich people. So our government set the rules. If corporations had their way they’d pay no taxes. Only employees and consumers would.

Government sets a minimum wage because free markets would pay $2 hr if they had the power.

Government allows labor to organize into unions. Unions are not free market capitalism. And unions brought wages up, not free market capitalismm.

Your wrong, look at the job boards in South Carolina they are people working at McDonald's $10 an hour
What does that prove?
That your lying when you say employer's will pay $2 bucks an hour
You know what I mean. They'll pay as little as possible. It's not a recipe for higher wages it's a race to the bottom.
Companies should control expenses. Employee costs are expenses? I do not follow your train of thought
Government can regulate this if it’s not working.

Great point. Teachers today don’t make what they used to. Neither do new ford and gm employees.

True, teachers make what doctors used to make.

Grade school teachers have on average 6 figure salaries. College professors average in 7 figures, while pontificating about income equality.
I don’t think what you just said is true. My sister in law has her masters and makes around $80,000. New teachers today don’t make that much.

And college professors have taken a huge hit over the last few decades. It used to be a great paying gig. Now temp or adjunct professors make $30,000 a year.

On day one they don't.

Teachers often make $200K + when perquisites are considered. Like most government jobs, outrageous benefits such as retirement many times base salary are common.
If you factor in a pension after they retire, for the rest of their life, you may be right.

I want to take pensions away from politicians so bad. Funny pensions don’t exist anymore, except for cops and politicians? It’s bullshit.

Maybe this op ed will make you less stupid

Why is his opinion more valid than mine. Again, if I own a sub shop and don’t want to pay more than min wage, how am I hurting the employees when they are free to work elsewhere? Explain that.
A small company like that, you can pay whatever you want.

The problem is since you guys have destroyed unions and sent all those jobs overseas, employers don't feel the need to pay more than they have to. So they don't. So people are making less than they did 20 years ago but the CEO is making more than he ever did.

You seem to be ok with this.

Your ignorance is not surprising. Unions destroyed themselves. See Detroit. NO one is making less than they did 20 years ago. That's just foolish.

Send your thank you letter to former President Bill Clinton for the skyrocketing salary packages for CEOs.
You just are repeating what republicans said in the 2000s when they were killing them. It’s a lie. Ford had record profits in the late 90s and gave employees record profit sharing. Everything was fine until bush stole Florida.

You know what I mean. They'll pay as little as possible. It's not a recipe for higher wages it's a race to the bottom.

For common labor, sure.

Employers will pay as little as possible, in order to hire the best person for the job. There is a HUGE difference, as you know!

What happened to wages when President Donald Trump drove down the unemployment rate to 3.5 percent? Wages for the lower and middle-income worker increased by far more than the upper-income brackets AND, as you also know, that the wage gap narrowed.
Link? I don’t believe any of that.

#1) I support a flat tax based on %. How about a 25% tax and a 2% federal consumption tax. Rich people consume more and more expensive products so you kill two birds with one stone. Significantly reduce the IRS and simplify our overly complex tax code.

#2) You vilify the "rich people" why? Trevor Lawrence is a good guy now but once he signs his NFL contract he suddenly becomes evil because he is rich? Seems odd.

#3) Gov't should not set the min wage and free markets would pay what was necessary to provide the best goods and or services or go out of business. Raising the min wage to $15 creates an incentive to replace workers with machines. No sick days, no human errors, no health insurance. Many fast food places do that now.

If a company can save money automating, they’re going to. Don’t threaten me that they will automate if we force them to pay a fair wage. They’ll automate eventually no matter what. And the people who they do employ will make good money.

How you going to force them to pay a fair wage? We all know $15 an hour is fair in Mississippi but in New York City it should be $35 an hour

Honestly, I think it's up to two groups of workers to organize into unions. Walmart and McD employees.

Walmart is our largest employer. It used to be GM. GM could send jobs overseas. Walmart can't.

And if Walmart workers in Red states don't want to organize, they don't have to. Just don't ask for the same wages northern employees make. They earned that higher pay.
The problem is once again they don't want unions and two I gave you my two solutions

1. Go after illegal employers. When they stop hiring illegal workers, Americans will no longer have to compete with illegals and pay will go up.

3. A law saying no ceo can make more than 200 or 300 times the average worker. Fortune 500 companies only. Big tax on companies who break the law.

6. Pro union policies

#1) I agree with that 100%. Democrats want to protect illegals and their kids. I don't. If I rob a bank and give the money to my kids but they don't know the money was garnered illegally, do they get to keep it?

#2) We do. I suggested a 2% federal consumption tax. Punishing success is stupid.

#3) You cannot do that to public and or private companies. It is the BOD and their call on compensation. I actually like that rule but it comes with a slippery slope.

#4) I am good with that. As are the Republicans. Democrats are not.

#5) Strengthen? How about we raise the retirement age to 75? How about we investigate fraud more thoroughly?

#6) I would abolish all unions. Baseball players don't need a union.

#7) I am good with that.

6. Pro union policies

What would your tax on rich do?

The Biden effect in action.
Good, perhaps they will go out of business.

You guys do realize that republicans invented nafta right? Wasn’t it Nixon who started working with China? And illegals started doing jobs Americans would do on Reagan’s watch. Who you kidding?

6. Pro union policies

Shrink the gap between rich and rest of us and pay for infrastructure.

6. Pro union policies

What would your tax do on the rich

You guys do realize that republicans invented nafta right? Wasn’t it Nixon who started working with China? And illegals started doing jobs Americans would do on Reagan’s watch. Who you kidding?

What's your point? None of my arguments have been partisan. What I want to see done, I want to see done. Period.

6. Pro union policies

Shrink the gap between rich and rest of us and pay for infrastructure.

They doesn't even make sense, any tax should pay down the debt and for trade schools

6. Pro union policies

#1) I agree with that 100%. Democrats want to protect illegals and their kids. I don't. If I rob a bank and give the money to my kids but they don't know the money was garnered illegally, do they get to keep it?

#2) We do. I suggested a 2% federal consumption tax. Punishing success is stupid.

#3) You cannot do that to public and or private companies. It is the BOD and their call on compensation. I actually like that rule but it comes with a slippery slope.

#4) I am good with that. As are the Republicans. Democrats are not.

#5) Strengthen? How about we raise the retirement age to 75? How about we investigate fraud more thoroughly?

#6) I would abolish all unions. Baseball players don't need a union.

#7) I am good with that.
There you go again. You republicans always hate the highest paid workers in America. Do you think baseball players would make as much as they do if they didn’t have a union? So you wish the players made less and owners made more. I knew that already.

What's your point? None of my arguments have been partisan. What I want to see done, I want to see done. Period.
Don’t go after illegal workers if you refuse to go after illegal employers. Wack a mole. And don’t ask to build a wall when you won’t go after illegal employers. You don’t know how partisan you are.

Forum List

Back