Wayfair to pay $15 an hour minimum

This is great. Goes to show that it can be done.
Pretty sure the prices on Wayfair will be jacked up now so they will lose sales and have higher expenses. Explains why they can't make money.

You can pay a little more for your shelf or more in taxes to provide welfare for people who are not able to break the poverty level even despite working.
The entire problem is it doesn't matter if it's $7 bucks an hour or a $1,000 dollars an hour it's still minimum wage and must be subsidized

It's just silly to suggest people have not gotten a raise in 20 years
Do you know what inflation is? Our raises haven’t kept up with inflation. Meanwhile the CEO’s pay has quadrupled. He got a good raise. Your raise didn’t even keep up with inflation.

Raises wer not given out during the bush years and certa8nly weren’t given after his Great Recession. Remember? Slowest recovery ever? Not for the rich. They recovered nicely.
I got several raises in the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II(the biggest raises), Obama and Trump. Maybe those people you knew that didn’t get raises should have smartened up and changed where they decided to worked.
Sealy is an ignorant leftist. Doesn't understand free markets. Don't waste your time.

Maybe this op ed will make you less stupid

Why is his opinion more valid than mine. Again, if I own a sub shop and don’t want to pay more than min wage, how am I hurting the employees when they are free to work elsewhere? Explain that.

Do you know what inflation is? Our raises haven’t kept up with inflation. Meanwhile the CEO’s pay has quadrupled. He got a good raise. Your raise didn’t even keep up with inflation.

Raises wer not given out during the bush years and certa8nly weren’t given after his Great Recession. Remember? Slowest recovery ever? Not for the rich. They recovered nicely.
I got several raises in the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II(the biggest raises), Obama and Trump. Maybe those people you knew that didn’t get raises should have smartened up and changed where they decided to worked.
Sealy is an ignorant leftist. Doesn't understand free markets. Don't waste your time.
I understand the difference between a employers market and an employees market.

I don’t want to hear about papags personal experience. I’m going by national averages. Fact is, labor is not doing as well as they did twenty years ago and CEOs are doing better than ever. That means employers are giving themselves big raises but not their employees.

If you want to talk about personal experience I got a $45,000 raise on Obama’s watch.
Again, free markets. Contractors and plumbers are doing better too. Hire a plumber now vs 10 yrs ago. Rates have nearly doubled. Free markets. Don’t want that plumber try to hire a cheaper one who is good. Free markets work. Sorry you don’t understand how. And you lie about your raise. You told me you only make $80k per yr
I never said I made $80K. I make more than $80K but less than $100K.

I don't even know what I made last year. I haven't got my tax documents from my employer yet. I know Corona hurt my sales. It's possible I made only $80K last year. I'll let you know when I find out. in 2018 I sold 2 million dollars. I get 1.5% commission plus I make $65K salary. 1.5% of $2 million is $30,000.

Why is his opinion more valid than mine. Again, if I own a sub shop and don’t want to pay more than min wage, how am I hurting the employees when they are free to work elsewhere? Explain that.
A small company like that, you can pay whatever you want.

The problem is since you guys have destroyed unions and sent all those jobs overseas, employers don't feel the need to pay more than they have to. So they don't. So people are making less than they did 20 years ago but the CEO is making more than he ever did.

You seem to be ok with this.

What do you disagree with in his op ed?

I don’t want to hear about papags personal experience. I’m going by national averages. Fact is, labor is not doing as well as they did twenty years ago and CEOs are doing better than ever. That means employers are giving themselves big raises but not their employees.

If you want to talk about personal experience I got a $45,000 raise on Obama’s watch.
Again, free markets. Contractors and plumbers are doing better too. Hire a plumber now vs 10 yrs ago. Rates have nearly doubled. Free markets. Don’t want that plumber try to hire a cheaper one who is good. Free markets work. Sorry you don’t understand how. And you lie about your raise. You told me you only make $80k per yr

I don't even know what I made last year. I haven't got my tax documents from my employer yet. I know Corona hurt my sales. It's possible I made only $80K last year. I'll let you know when I find out. in 2018 I sold 2 million dollars. I get 1.5% commission plus I make $65K salary. 1.5% of $2 million is $30,000.
OK

Bank of America pays its teller $12 an hour. JP Morgan Chase across the street pays $20 per hour. Where will the teller go? JPMC. So BAML has two options, hire inferior tellers or pay its tellers more. Free markets....what do you dislike about that?

Thus, Americans are concerned that a "flood of illegal immigrants" coming primarily across our southern border is, to paraphrase Lou Dobbs, "wiping out the American middle class." And there is considerable truth to it, as part of the three-part campaign mentioned earlier.

But Dobbs and his fellow Republicans say the solution is to "secure our border" with a fence like that used by East Germany, but that stretches a distance about the same as that from Washington, DC to Chicago. It'll be a multi-billion-dollar boon to Halliburton and Bechtel, who will undoubtedly get the construction and maintenance contracts, but it won't stop illegal immigration. (Instead, people will legally come in on tourist and other visas, and not leave when their visas expire.)

The fact is that we had an open border with Mexico for several centuries, and "illegal immigration" was never a serious problem. Before Reagan's presidency, an estimated million or so people a year came into the US from Mexico - and the same number, more or less, left the US for Mexico at the end of the agricultural harvest season. Very few stayed, because there weren't jobs for them.

Non-citizens didn't have access to the non-agricultural US job market, in large part because of the power of US labor unions (before Reagan 25% of the workforce was unionized; today the private workforce is about 7% unionized), and because companies were unwilling to risk having non-tax-deductible labor expenses on their books by hiring undocumented workers without valid Social Security numbers.

But Reagan put an end to that. His 1986 amnesty program, combined with his aggressive war on organized labor (begun in 1981), in effect told both employers and non-citizens that there would be few penalties and many rewards to increasing the US labor pool (and thus driving down wages) with undocumented immigrants. A million people a year continued to come across our southern border, but they stopped returning to Latin America every fall because instead of seasonal work they were able to find permanent jobs.

The magnet drawing them? Illegal Employers.

Yet in the American media, Illegal Employers are almost never mentioned.

The problem is since you guys have destroyed unions and sent all those jobs overseas, employers don't feel the need to pay more than they have to. So they don't. So people are making less than they did 20 years ago but the CEO is making more than he ever did.

You guys? High taxes create corporate inversions that send jobs overseas. I gave you the Bank of America example. Also companies have to pay more for their employees. SS match, healthcare, etc. But employees (vast majority) are at will and may quit at any time.

Is your company hiring? What do you do for a living? Did everyone at your company get these raises?

I worked for different companies in my life and owned my own companies. I worked for one company that was unfair to many employees The current company just gave out raises last month to all but three, however they got raises earlier in the year. We aren't hiring due to state shutdowns because of Covid-19. Our business and industry are down by 90%, however the owner is a smart person and his strategy is working during this process. I'm not sure how long he will operate but I am retiring soon and moving south.

OK

Bank of America pays its teller $12 an hour. JP Morgan Chase across the street pays $20 per hour. Where will the teller go? JPMC. So BAML has two options, hire inferior tellers or pay its tellers more. Free markets....what do you dislike about that?
Nothing. But what is happening is both JP and BOA are paying $12 hr. So now where do I go?

Thus, Americans are concerned that a "flood of illegal immigrants" coming primarily across our southern border is, to paraphrase Lou Dobbs, "wiping out the American middle class." And there is considerable truth to it, as part of the three-part campaign mentioned earlier.

But Dobbs and his fellow Republicans say the solution is to "secure our border" with a fence like that used by East Germany, but that stretches a distance about the same as that from Washington, DC to Chicago. It'll be a multi-billion-dollar boon to Halliburton and Bechtel, who will undoubtedly get the construction and maintenance contracts, but it won't stop illegal immigration. (Instead, people will legally come in on tourist and other visas, and not leave when their visas expire.)

The fact is that we had an open border with Mexico for several centuries, and "illegal immigration" was never a serious problem. Before Reagan's presidency, an estimated million or so people a year came into the US from Mexico - and the same number, more or less, left the US for Mexico at the end of the agricultural harvest season. Very few stayed, because there weren't jobs for them.

Non-citizens didn't have access to the non-agricultural US job market, in large part because of the power of US labor unions (before Reagan 25% of the workforce was unionized; today the private workforce is about 7% unionized), and because companies were unwilling to risk having non-tax-deductible labor expenses on their books by hiring undocumented workers without valid Social Security numbers.

But Reagan put an end to that. His 1986 amnesty program, combined with his aggressive war on organized labor (begun in 1981), in effect told both employers and non-citizens that there would be few penalties and many rewards to increasing the US labor pool (and thus driving down wages) with undocumented immigrants. A million people a year continued to come across our southern border, but they stopped returning to Latin America every fall because instead of seasonal work they were able to find permanent jobs.

The magnet drawing them? Illegal Employers.

Yet in the American media, Illegal Employers are almost never mentioned.
Illegals were always a problem but now that healthcare costs have skyrocketted it is an even bigger problem. Maybe automation can curb the need to hire illegal cheap labor. We'll see.

OK

Nothing. But what is happening is both JP and BOA are paying $12 hr. So now where do I go?
Then that is the wage for your skill set. You need to improve your skill set to make more. The free market decides that. I have an MBA so my skillset can garner a larger paycheck. My wife doesn't so she doesn't have the same earning potential. But if BAML is smart they pay $14 per get the best tellers and likely win some clients that way.

I made $91,854 in 2020. $65k salary plus $26, 854 in commissions. Happy?

OK

Then that is the wage for your skill set. You need to improve your skill set to make more. The free market decides that. I have an MBA so my skillset can garner a larger paycheck. My wife doesn't so she doesn't have the same earning potential. But if BAML is smart they pay $14 per get the best tellers and likely win some clients that way.
My last boss would have had me making around $65,000. Luckily my new boss is more liberal and is paying me what I’m worth.

OK

It seems his friends would all pick BofA and be really happy! At least that is what he said.

For that money you could not afford to live where I live. You would need 3x that. But you also have fewer expenses. So what are you complaining about? Sounds like you're paid fairly?

OK

My last boss would have had me making around $65,000. Luckily my new boss is more liberal and is paying me what I’m worth.
Market decides what you are worth. Before I started my own enterprise I had recruiters calling me frequently. If your skillset is in demand you will never have a hard time finding work. You're also somewhat commissioned based so you eat what you kill.

Unions destroyed unions, lay the responsibility where it belongs. The unions got to greedy, let the mob run them and then with all the bad press and the unions greedy not for the worker but for themselves they lost support.

Of course you don't belong to the union because only the other guys need to be union, and thus you helped destroy the union you claimed to want.

You are the dimwit that first threw in personal experiences, if you don't want to hear about them, then don't use them yourself. Good grief, you throw it out there then get pissy when it gets thrown back?

For that money you could not afford to live where I live. You would need 3x that. But you also have fewer expenses. So what are you complaining about? Sounds like you're paid fairly?
I am. I’m not arguing for me.

In Michigan, one person household making $90k is upper class. I don’t know where you live. If you lived down south you’d be rich if you pulled in $90k.

I understand I would only be middle class in nyc or California

Forum List

Back