Welcome to tyranny.

If you're afraid of getting sick, stay home. But you can't tell me what to do.

Life is a risk. Freedom means you get to choose.
Don´t confuse freedom with idiocy.

Don't confuse ignorant cowardice with morality, hon.
It is not about morality but responsibility.
My responsibility to stay at home so your grandma can avoid the risk of getting COVID-19 is zero.
My government has no legitimate authority to tell me I can't work or go to the movies, period.

Most Americans don't want to do construction... Nobody goes to college for four years to work construction.
Most don't go to college for four years either. We still have a sizable blue-collar working class that will take those construction jobs.

As usual, JoeB131 is only demonstrating the ignorance and hubris which pretty much defines him, when he disparages construction work, as he does, and imagines that he is in any way better to (or even equal to) a typical construction worker.

Construction is honest, valuable work, and there is good money to be made in it, especially in the skilled trades.

I've been an IT guy in the distant past, a programmer, data analyst, and all-round maintainer of computer equipment.

In that part of my life, like JoeB131 I arrogantly thought myself better than anyone who did anything as menial as construction or other physical labor.

I was wrong, then.

I now find construction work far more satisfying, rewarding, and meaningful than I ever found IT work.

I merely place a vastly higher value on human life than I do on the solvency of a given company.

False dichotomy.

You're assuming that a company, that the economy as a whole, is something that can be sacrificed to save human lives, and ignorantly disregarding the impact that economic conditions have on human lives.

To sacrifice the economy, you are not saving human lives, you are sacrificing human lives. For what purpose?
Incorrect.

If, by sacrificing the solvency of a non-essential company, we save human lives, through lessened exposure, then it's well-worth the sacrifice.

That is unless you work for the company or have your IRA investments in it.
Yep... sux to be them... but if we can save your loved one's life by keeping that business (and similar others) closed, then the financial loss and hardship are well worth it.
None of my loved ones are going to die from COVID, moron. If your grandma dies because she refuses to isolate herself, I couldn't give a shit. You worry about your loved ones and I'll worry about mine. I do care if I go bankrupt because of this shutdown, and so do about 200 millions others. Your theory that economic pain doesn't matter doesn't pass the laugh test. That's the kind of thing that only people with a gauranteed income say. They are douchebags.

Most Americans don't want to do construction... Nobody goes to college for four years to work construction.
Most don't go to college for four years either. We still have a sizable blue-collar working class that will take those construction jobs.

As usual, JoeB131 is only demonstrating the ignorance and hubris which pretty much defines him, when he disparages construction work, as he does, and imagines that he is in any way better to (or even equal to) a typical construction worker.

Construction is honest, valuable work, and there is good money to be made in it, especially in the skilled trades.

I've been an IT guy in the distant past, a programmer, data analyst, and all-round maintainer of computer equipment.

In that part of my life, like JoeB131 I arrogantly thought myself better than anyone who did anything as menial as construction or other physical labor.

I was wrong, then.

I now find construction work far more satisfying, rewarding, and meaningful than I ever found IT work.
Sometimes I long for the days when I was in the carpenter's union.

My responsibility to stay at home so your grandma can avoid the risk of getting COVID-19 is zero.
Nobody expects responsibility from you, but from your government that tells you no you cannot drive on the sidewalk.

A virus is not comparable to driving on the sidewalk, you moron.
Don´t breath at me then.

My government has no legitimate authority to tell me I can't work or go to the movies, period.
Yes, they have. They do have laws.

Note that I said "legitimate." Where does the Constitution give government the authority to tell me I can't go to work?

I was wrong, then.

I always felt that people are all geared for different things. You're not going to make a surgeon into a linebacker for the NFL, and you're not going to make your garbage man a scientist.

I come from a construction family. I was mixing cement since 12 years old, and did that until I turned 18 and got a full time job. Heck, I still did it during the Reagan recession for a spell.

In any case, I can't stand working indoors like an office, a cubical, in front of the same drill press day after day. When I work, I need to be outside, so I spent most of my life driving. I inherit my desire to be outside from my father, who always felt the same.

The father of a friend of mine growing up was a severe alcoholic. He'd even drink at his job as a butcher. One day he got laid off, and got a job with the city school system as a bus driver. From there, he got his boiler operators license, and did janitorial work. While he was working there, he quit drinking, then he quit smoking. He turned out to be a total opposite of his previous self.

He didn't realize how chopping up animals day in and day out was affecting him. My friend once said his father told him the day he lost his job as a butcher, was the best day of his life.

Note that I said "legitimate." Where does the Constitution give government the authority to tell me I can't go to work?
Where does it say you can´t drive on the sidewalk?

Everybody coming from south of our border is a person of color.

That's not actually true.

Mexico is people's mostly by descendants of European immigrants. This includes white people, as well as people of more Mediterranean ethnicity. Of course, there's been a fair amount of interbreeding among them, and between them and the Indians who were there before. Most Mexicans are recognizably of a mix of these various groups from whom they are descended, but not all. There are some mostly-white (perhaps all-white) Mexicans, no different, ethnically, from white Americans.

“Mexican” isn't a race, any more than “American” is. It's nationality that, like ours, and contrary to popular misconception, includes a racially-diverse population.

And, of course, not all invading foreign criminals coming from across our southern border come from Mexico or other parts of Central and South America. Some come from other continents, and only go through Mexico because that's the easiest way to illegally invade our country.

You people back yourself into a corner all the time. On one hand, you claim that Americans won't take these jobs, and in the same breath, say that employers avoid hiring minorities. Which is it, because it can't be both. Everybody coming from south of our border is a person of color.

Actually, it is both... that's the thing. they aren't mutually exclusive.

The thing is, you wouldn't want to do the jobs illegals are doing and neither would I.

1588197466694.png

You are amazing Joe. You think you have some sort of special talent writing resumes.

I must. Most people suck at writing them, for the same reason why most people suck at doing their own taxes. You do it very rarely, and you really hate doing it. This is why there's always a place for resume writers or accountants. Do you know what the most common mistake I see is? Someone takes their job description from Human Resources and drops it into their resume. They don't even bother to change the verb tenses or remove boilerplate phrases like "Other Duties as Assigned". I can do whole articles on why this is a bad idea, but man, I think I see it about 40% of the time.

Well thank your primary school teachers union for that.

No, I actually kind of blame the massive cuts to education, that we are writing our textbooks to appease the Bible Belt (Evolution isn't covered in Science Texts because it makes Baby Jesus Cry) and then we wonder why our kids don't know science.

No, we have a disproportionate amount of blacks in prison because they commit a disproportionate amount of crime. Statistically, you are eight times more likely to be murdered by a black in the US than you are a white. It has nothing to do with this phony prison industrial complex.

Actually, most people are murdered by members of their own race, usually a relative or acquaintance.

Yes he did, so what is your point? My point is many of these people don't really need food stamps. They use them because it's free shit.

We are going to find a lot of pushback on these policies now that unemployment is nearing Great Depression levels.

I only own one Japanese product, and that is my car, which was probably made in the US anyway. No, most of our goods are made in China. Buy from Amazon, go to Walmart, go wherever you like. Remember, I was in the transportation business. I spent a good amount of time picking up Chinese products from warehouses to deliver to companies for processing. Those are your Made In USA products.

Um, yeah, you also worked for Bottom Feeder Trucking. The big American Corporations are using credible companies.

As usual, @JoeB131 is only demonstrating the ignorance and hubris which pretty much defines him, when he disparages construction work, as he does, and imagines that he is in any way better to (or even equal to) a typical construction worker.

The only reason why it's "honorable" work is because unions made sure the guys doing it got good pay and workplace safety. But the people you support have been spending the last 40 years trying to put an end to that. Which is why you find so many immigrants working there and not so much white folks.

In that part of my life, like @JoeB131 I arrogantly thought myself better than anyone who did anything as menial as construction or other physical labor.

I was wrong, then.

Sounds to me like you failed at IT work, probably because you kept asking the other programmers if they wanted to hear another Testament of Jesus...

Actually, it is both... that's the thing. they aren't mutually exclusive.

The thing is, you wouldn't want to do the jobs illegals are doing and neither would I.

It's not about what I would do or you would do. It's about them taking jobs from Americans that do want to do those jobs, or are otherwise greatly lowering their pay scale.

I must. Most people suck at writing them, for the same reason why most people suck at doing their own taxes. You do it very rarely, and you really hate doing it. This is why there's always a place for resume writers or accountants. Do you know what the most common mistake I see is? Someone takes their job description from Human Resources and drops it into their resume. They don't even bother to change the verb tenses or remove boilerplate phrases like "Other Duties as Assigned". I can do whole articles on why this is a bad idea, but man, I think I see it about 40% of the time.

The only reason people hire you is because they are lazy. The aggressive people do their own.

No, I actually kind of blame the massive cuts to education, that we are writing our textbooks to appease the Bible Belt (Evolution isn't covered in Science Texts because it makes Baby Jesus Cry) and then we wonder why our kids don't know science.

A teacher isn't even allowed to say the name Jesus in school without getting suspended or fired, and it's been like that the last couple of decades now. The US spends more for education than any other industrialized nation on the planet, and we only have mediocre results to show for it. That's why our kids can't get a better advanced education.

Actually, most people are murdered by members of their own race, usually a relative or acquaintance.

It's irrelevant who murdered who. The fact is blacks commit much more crime per capita than any other group of people in our country. That's why more of them are in prison.

We are going to find a lot of pushback on these policies now that unemployment is nearing Great Depression levels.

For much of the country, the economy is going to partially open up in a few days, and in another few weeks or months, open up even more. Recessions and depressions happen when nobody has access to money. Thanks to Trump, some people are going to have more money than they did working.

Um, yeah, you also worked for Bottom Feeder Trucking. The big American Corporations are using credible companies.

Big American corporations use smaller companies to supply their products, and those companies use Chinese labor and products.

Where does it say you can´t drive on the sidewalk?
I won't get into that because it's a complicated issue. Government owns the roads, so government has to make the rules about how they are used. If government didn't own then roads, then some private owner would make the rules.

However, government doesn't own your job. It doesn't own you.

I merely place a vastly higher value on human life than I do on the solvency of a given company.

False dichotomy.

You're assuming that a company, that the economy as a whole, is something that can be sacrificed to save human lives, and ignorantly disregarding the impact that economic conditions have on human lives.

To sacrifice the economy, you are not saving human lives, you are sacrificing human lives. For what purpose?
Incorrect.

If, by sacrificing the solvency of a non-essential company, we save human lives, through lessened exposure, then it's well-worth the sacrifice.

Yep... sux to be them... but if we can save your loved one's life by keeping that business (and similar others) closed, then the financial loss and hardship are well worth it.

The idea is to salvage both. There is no right or wrong call here because nobody has a crystal ball. I say open up the economy after we have the ability to protect ourselves from the virus like with N-95 masks for everybody, blood donations from those who recovered from it, reliable antibody tests and an ample supply to test anybody and everybody.
Agreed.

But until we reach that optimum state, I hold that human life takes priority over corporate solvency or even the financial well-being of a given company's employees.

The solvency of a given business shut down by the pandemic is not worth the life of a single American citizen.

Is it worth the livelihoods of all the employees who depend on that company for the jobs that allow them to feed and house and otherwise support themselves and their families?

How much poverty, famine, homelessness is your spite toward such a company worth?
Human life is more important than the solvency of a given company.

Human life is more important than the economic well being of that company's employees.

Human life is not separate from the ability to sustain that life, moron, no matter HOW "noble" your talking points sound to you.

Why do I suspect that YOUR income has not disappeared due to this virus?
There is no question of sustaining human life from an economic vantage point.

No one in this country is going to starve.

People will, however, die in vastly higher numbers, if we begin cramming them back together within work-places before we're ready and before the virus begins to lose ground.

You basically say "Phukk it... re-open... send 'em back to work."

I basically say "You need to tough it out until the pandemic eases... better broke than six feet under."

The solvency of a given business shut down by the pandemic is not worth the life of a single American citizen.

Is it worth the livelihoods of all the employees who depend on that company for the jobs that allow them to feed and house and otherwise support themselves and their families?

How much poverty, famine, homelessness is your spite toward such a company worth?
Human life is more important than the solvency of a given company.

Human life is more important than the economic well being of that company's employees.
Is it more important that the ability of people to feed their families?

What a fucking dumbass.
Nobody in this country is going to starve.

Consequently...

Yes...

Human life is more important than the solvency of a given company or the economic well-being of its employees.

Human life trumps all of that $hit.

No 'dumba$$' involved... merely eternal truth.

Something that whiny-bitch Trump butt-sniffers are entirely incapable of comprehending.

Basically, I just heard you say, "I can't know about any problems that my talking points didn't tell me to know about."

We'll all get right on ignoring all the experts telling us that food supply chains are breaking down and record numbers of people are flooding into food banks, because you "know" that nothing is going to be any different than always . . . at least until your talking points tell you to start knowing it.

It's amazing how butt-sniffers for the Democrats like you can squawk, "Human life! Human life!" about every topic under the sun, and be shit-stupid enough to think you're saying something real.

It's a good thing your thought masters have ordered you to believe that you have some moral standing, because God knows it's the only way an imbecile like you would ever have that experience.
Sit down and mind your manners, child.

False dichotomy.

Incorrect.

None of my loved ones are going to die from COVID, moron. If your grandma dies because she refuses to isolate herself, I couldn't give a shit. You worry about your loved ones and I'll worry about mine. I do care if I go bankrupt because of this shutdown, and so do about 200 millions others. Your theory that economic pain doesn't matter doesn't pass the laugh test. That's the kind of thing that only people with a gauranteed income say. They are douchebags.
Mind your manners in the presence of your betters, pi$$ant.

You hold that financial solvency trumps human life.

You are scum.

False dichotomy.

Incorrect.

Mind your manners in the presence of your betters, pi$$ant.

You hold that financial solvency trumps human life.

You are scum.
Economic pain is always balanced against human life. We could stop all traffic deaths tomorrow if we established a national speed limit of 5 mph. According to you the fact that we don't means we hold that financial solvency trumps human life. The concept of perfect safety is absurd. The only question is how many deaths are we willing to tolerate, and so far we haven't even come close to what we've tolerated in the past.

Every choice is a trade off. Only douchebags fail to acknowledge that reality.

Forum List

Back