Welcome to Your New Overlords, Californians!

On some other houses that have several outdoor faucets and perhaps a sprinkler system it would be more involved. Some people will no doubt have to install several meters at $100 a pop. And unless they are a DIYer they will have to pay a plumber to install them. Unless of course the water suppliers do it. And of course that cost will naturally be passed on to consumers.

I've thought of another way to do it, that'd be cheaper, and easier, but some might think it unsightly. Where the water service enters the house, fork the pipe there. Put one meter on the fork that continues into the house, and another on the other fork, from which you then run a pipe on the outside, around the perimeter of the house. Cap off all the extant outdoor outlets, and in their place, put outlets on the new pipe.

But otherwise, you're looking at hiring more than just plumbers. If you don't want to run the outside-water pipe completely outside of the house, then you're talking about demolishing and rebuilding walls, and perhaps even the foundation. Demolition crews, carpenters, concrete workers, perhaps even brickmasons. And, of course, electricians such as myself to put wiring in the new walls.

It's been interesting, since entering my new profession, to see how many different kinds of skilled (and expensive) tradesmen are involved in any modern construction project.

If Cali installed desalinization plants all over their coast they would have plenty of water. That's what Saudi Arabia did.

Forum List

Back