Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Ozoni? Is that a layered dish? :eusa_whistle:

Ha ha! Lately scientists have noticed a hole in it.

But, no. It's a kind of mochi soup with daikon, carrots, and other vegetables. A traditional New Year's dish, but delicious anytime if you ask me.

Sharp cheddar cheese on a cracked pepper triscut, with a slice of apple and a piece of salmon...12 of them...mmmmmm

Tonight might be Pizza, but tomorrow I'm making Contre Filet de Richelieu.

Start with a beef tenderloin, cut into 1 1/2 inch slabs. Let them come to room temperature, covered.

The Richelieu sauce is the heart of the dish. Start with hollandaise, which I've posted recipes for in the past. A standard 3 egg batch is good. Saute about one cup of coarsely chopped scallions over low heat in salted butter, as to not scoarch, until they are a golden brown. Add a cup of sliced mushrooms, as a French dish, traditionally this would be chanterelle, but I prefer shitake. Cook the mushrooms until tender in the scallions. At the last moment, add a quarter cup of red Bordeaux or Cabernet. Briskly stir the hollandaise and SLOWLY add the onion, mushroom, wine mixture. Heat until hot, but do not boil or the sauce may break.

Now coat the tender loins with olive oil, chopped basil, and kosher salt (to taste.) In a hot iron skillet, sear the tenderloin. Preheat a stone or Pyrex pan in a 425 oven and put the seared meat in the pan. About 20 minutes will bring them to medium rare (warm, red center). Pour the Richelieu over the meat in the hot pan as it rests for 5 to 10 minutes.

Generally served with grilled asparagus and baby red potatoes. I originally got this recipe from a Julia Child cookbook (credit where due.)

Scrambled up some bacon, chorizo, onions, garlic, jalapeno then mixed it with some leftover pulled pork.
Piled it onna flour tortilla and sprinkled with cheese. Flopped it over for a good melt. :thup:

Sour cream onna top.

Feeling a bit celebratory tomorrow night - today was Joe's first day at his new job, and it went very well, and I got some really good news of my own - so I'm going to be making taco burgers, with some fresh pico de gallo and fresh guacamole to serve on them. (I love guacamole, but my husband and oldest son won't touch it.)

Taco burgers, to clarify, are a derivative of one of my favorite recipes, taco meatloaf. I hate plain homemade hamburgers, so I take the ground beef and mix it, meatloaf-style, with tomato paste, taco seasonings, shredded cheddar cheese, some unflavored yogurt (works as a binder in place of eggs), and crushed corn chips in whatever flavor I like (to replace plain bread crumbs). Then I form them into hamburger patties, grill, and voila!

Not sure what I want to do on the side. Maybe just some crispy steak fries, or maybe a more elaborate potato dish? Perhaps some hashed browns mixed with mexican veggies and diced green chiles.

Feeling a bit celebratory tomorrow night - today was Joe's first day at his new job, and it went very well, and I got some really good news of my own - so I'm going to be making taco burgers, with some fresh pico de gallo and fresh guacamole to serve on them. (I love guacamole, but my husband and oldest son won't touch it.)

Taco burgers, to clarify, are a derivative of one of my favorite recipes, taco meatloaf. I hate plain homemade hamburgers, so I take the ground beef and mix it, meatloaf-style, with tomato paste, taco seasonings, shredded cheddar cheese, some unflavored yogurt (works as a binder in place of eggs), and crushed corn chips in whatever flavor I like (to replace plain bread crumbs). Then I form them into hamburger patties, grill, and voila!
Not sure what I want to do on the side. Maybe just some crispy steak fries, or maybe a more elaborate potato dish? Perhaps some hashed browns mixed with mexican veggies and diced green chiles.

I was going to make burgers tonight, I think I will try this.

I was going to make burgers tonight, I think I will try this.

You can do the most entertaining stuff with hamburgers. Oh, I forgot to mention diced onions, so put in diced onions.

I had two plain, cold hamburger patties with salt.

I missed dinner, and when I got hungry, there were no buns left, lol.

But those burgers were really good!

The night BEFORE, we had venison stew. I browned venison stew meat (dredged in flour seasoned with salt, pepper), then cut up a couple of sweet potatoes, a couple of real potatoes, a small onion, some carrots, threw in a bay leaf, and dumped the venison on top. Added water, stuck a lid on and baked at 350 for about 3-1/2 hours.

Yummy. It was a good sized one; but it was gone by the next afternoon.

When I went to the east side of the state, i dropped by a friend's house and he filled up a cooler with meat for us to take home with us. Mostly beef, but he threw in some venison for us too.

LAst night we had Papa Johns lol. Night before we had I roast I cooked with Italian dressing, half a Heinikin and some ranch dip powder. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Folks like to put the kitchen sink into 'hamburgers,' but at some point you are not making hamburgers, you are making little meatloaf.

Tonight my gf is making "lasagna wraps". She has been going bat-shit crazy over this pinterest or whatever it is

My mom used to dress up hamburgers; but then she would always BURN them..so they were like nasty little burned meatloafs.

I used to think she was a great cook; and for the most part, she was. But when I look back, she burned a lot of stuff. She still does. Drives me nuts.

My primary objection to hamburger is the crap that goes into it. I don't like getting chunks of gristle and artery that is OBVIOUSLY artery in my burger. It's just gross.

Homemade is better...

When I do hamburgers, I mix it with ranch powder (ranch dressing). If I am grilling them, I take 2 skinny patties, put a hard cheese in between (swiss cheddar soemthign liek that) make it like a sandwhich and close the ends. My buddy tried it and stuffed it with onion as well. Not into onion, but without them they are delicious!

Forum List

Back