What Conservative Ideals that have worked in the Past

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Anyone? We all know the liberal policies so I'm curious...What are the Conservative ideas that has worked in the past?

Conservative Ideals that have worked in the past:

the USA -- limited federal government, maximum individual liberty, free enterprise, rule of law

That's all I got

Seriously, this is sad...The entire history of conservatism and they have not ONE example of success? Not one?

Anyone? We all know the liberal policies so I'm curious...What are the Conservative ideas that has worked in the past?

freedom...as per our Constitution

working hard and owning your own business, land, and property...equal opportunity not outcome

believing in a Higher Power and living a life of of virtue...freedom exists in a virtuous society

individual effort to study and learn...stupid people lose their freedom

do your part to support and defend our country...we the people ARE the government

working hard and owning your own business, land, and property...equal opportunity not outcome

believing in a Higher Power and living a life of of virtue...freedom exists in a virtuous society

do your part to support and defend our country...we the people ARE the government

All those arent only conservative ideas...And I'm talking specifically, not generally.

It would be like asking what liberal idea have been a success and I posted "Love each other" you'd go...what? :confused::cuckoo:

All those arent only conservative ideas...And I'm talking specifically, not generally.

It would be like asking what liberal idea have been a success and I posted "Love each other" you'd go...what? :confused::cuckoo:

some liberals may use some of those ideals......specifically.....there are always exceptions...

but why is it liberalism does not support those ideals......generally....?

Last edited:
How about the Conservative belief in personal responsibility? Of course if one were to apply that simple belief to everything, we'd all live in a better place.

Jeez, is it up to a liberal to speak up for conservatives? See Cohen below. Now in America one must recognize Conservatism (C) is the bastardized philosophy of 'I got mine and I really don't give a fuck that you are at the bottom of things.'

C is basically reactionary as Albert O. Hirschman's brilliant 'The Rhetoric of Reaction' demonstrates. "He argues that a triplet of 'rhetorical' criticisms--perversity, futility, and jeopardy--'has been unfailingly leveled' by 'reactionaries' at each major progressive reform of the past 300 years--those T. H. Marshall identified with the advancement of civil, political and social rights of citizenship..." The Rhetoric of Reaction - Albert O. Hirschman - Harvard University Press.

Or check out Corey Robin. "Late in life, William F. Buckley made a confession to Corey Robin. Capitalism is "boring," said the founding father of the American right. "Devoting your life to it," as conservatives do, "is horrifying if only because it's so repetitious. It's like sex." With this unlikely conversation began Robin's decade-long foray into the conservative mind. What is conservatism, and what's truly at stake for its proponents? If capitalism bores them, what excites them?" [ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Reactionary-Mind-Conservatism-Edmund/dp/0199793743/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]The Reactionary Mind: Conservatism from Edmund Burke to Sarah Palin: Corey Robin: 9780199793747: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

But in truth if we could escape the nonsense American politics has become maybe we would see that some things are worth preserving and lots of things should be trashed asap. I would count CPAC in the list of nonsense to remove as I have never heard that much absurdity in a single weekend ever. One wonders if CPAC is the best C can do they'd better find another shtick.

"The present paper defends the attitude that I just expressed in my answer to the chair’s question. I have for decades harboured strongly conservative, that is, strongly small-c conservative, opinions, on many matters that are not matters of justice, and I here mount an exposition and defence of what I believe to be my widely, although perhaps not universally, shared, conservative attitude. (I do not have conservative views about matters of justice because what conservatives like me want to conserve is that which has intrinsic value, and injustice lacks intrinsic value (and has, indeed, intrinsic disvalue). I shall say something in section 7 about the relationship between small-c conservatism and large-C Conservatives, many of whom are indeed devoted to conserving injustice.)" http://politicalscience.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/workshop-materials/pt_cohen.pdf

"The most contentious of the usual canons of theory preference is that of conservatism... I expressed it as the policy of choosing the hypothesis that best squares with what you already have reason to believe, but actually I myself defend an even bolder version: prefer the hypothesis that best squares with what you already do believe, reasonably or not. That is the really contentious version; critics who do not mind simplicity, testability, fruitfulness and the rest sometimes balk at conservatism in this bolder sense, because it sounds particularly dogmatic, bigoted, pigheaded." William G. Lycan

"[T]he rhetoric of the enterprise is fucked. 95 percent of political commentary, whether spoken or written, is now polluted by the very politics it’s supposed to be about. Meaning it’s become totally ideological and reductive: The writer/speaker has certain political convictions or affiliations, and proceeds to filter all reality and spin all assertion according to those convictions and loyalties. Everybody’s pissed off and exasperated and impervious to argument from any other side. Opposing viewpoints are not just incorrect but contemptible, corrupt, evil. Conservative thinkers are balder about this kind of attitude: Limbaugh, Hannity, that horrific O’Reilly person. Coulter, Kristol, etc. But the Left’s been infected, too. Have you read this new Al Franken book? Parts of it are funny, but it’s totally venomous (like, what possible response can rightist pundits have to Franken’s broadsides but further rage and return-venom?). Or see also e.g. Lapham’s latest Harper’s columns, or most of the stuff in the Nation, or even Rolling Stone. It’s all become like Zinn and Chomsky but without the immense bodies of hard data these older guys use to back up their screeds. There’s no more complex, messy, community-wide argument (or “dialogue”); political discourse is now a formulaic matter of preaching to one’s own choir and demonizing the opposition. Everything’s relentlessly black-and-whitened. Since the truth is way, way more gray and complicated than any one ideology can capture, the whole thing seems to me not just stupid but stupefying." DFW The Believer - Interview with David Foster Wallace

A related post here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...courage-to-define-themselves.html#post6790314

All these answers are straight out of a self help book it seems. I shouldve said Ideas or policy that worked

"Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion & Govt in the Constitution of the United States the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history ...in Kentucky for example, where it was proposed to exempt Houses of Worship from taxes."
-- James Madison; from 'Detached Memoranda'

Well the constitution worked pretty well for this country for a long time. Now Presidents like Bush and Obama openly wipe their ass with it one day then use it to defend against policy that they don't like the next day.

Best example of Conservative Government VS Progressive would be Harding in the 1920's VS FDR. Back to back depression, one was fixed with no debt the other had to have the mother fucker die before his policies could be repealed and the economy come back to life.

Forum List

Back