What Conservative Ideals that have worked in the Past

Well the constitution worked pretty well for this country for a long time. Now Presidents like Bush and Obama openly wipe their ass with it one day then use it to defend against policy that they don't like the next day.

Best example of Conservative Government VS Progressive would be Harding in the 1920's VS FDR. Back to back depression, one was fixed with no debt the other had to have the mother fucker die before his policies could be repealed and the economy come back to life.

You realize that the Great Depression ended before FDR's 3rd term, right?

or were you talking about Harding's broad view of construction, and untimely death?

Sheppard?Towner Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The economy did pretty well when Kennedy cut the tax rates.

Clinton's "era of big government is over" worked pretty well. What that's not conservative? It's exactly what the GOP House ran and won on in 1994.

The economy boomed from 2003-2007. Then in 2005, the GOP fucked up and decided that the era of big government was back. Then the previous folly of Medicare Part D started to explode entitlement spending, followed by a Democrat House. Then it became apparent that Sarbanes-Oxley wasn't going to fix the problems that caused the 2000 crash.

Repealing the wage and price controls from FDR fostered prosperity.

Lowering the tax rates of the bottom end of the economic scale is almost universally considered a good idea. Has anyone on the left or right advocated removing the 10% tax bracket Bush created?

Seriously, this is sad...The entire history of conservatism and they have not ONE example of success? Not one?

I will give you an example that I can't believe anyone has said: The Abolishment of Slavery

The Republican Party came up with the notion to enter a bill in the House that would call for the total emancipation of all slaves. For Lincoln and his party knew that after the war was over the Emancipation Proclamation would be void. It was pushed by the republicans, and with the help of a few democrats, it won by 2 votes.

I am not a republican but at least I know they were a party that stood for something admirable at one point of time. Granted that was over 100 years ago......but at least the conservatives had some good policies back then

Well the constitution worked pretty well for this country for a long time. Now Presidents like Bush and Obama openly wipe their ass with it one day then use it to defend against policy that they don't like the next day.

Best example of Conservative Government VS Progressive would be Harding in the 1920's VS FDR. Back to back depression, one was fixed with no debt the other had to have the mother fucker die before his policies could be repealed and the economy come back to life.

Lol.

I would propose there were some differences.

Anyways, deficit spending worked for Reagan.

Lol.

I would propose there were some differences.

Anyways, deficit spending worked for Reagan.

Too bad it's not working under Obama. Really, 4 years later and he's just out of ideas so let's just double down on stupid?

I believe conservative ideas and policies can work. Aside from maybe Rand Paul though no establishment Republican is any more conservative than President Obama. Of course, the Republicans here will spew meaningless platitudes, while pretending their party is actually practicing conservative ideals.

You realize that the Great Depression ended before FDR's 3rd term, right?

or were you talking about Harding's broad view of construction, and untimely death?

Sheppard?Towner Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Depression ended after the war and repeal of FDR policies. The war simply sucked up 10% of the population at a time when the population was 110ish million. Basically the war sucked up the unemployed, but after the war there was concern of a recession/depression once people came home and once again would be counted as unemployed when there was no work.

Harding cut massively, regulation and spending... I just can't care if there was minor bullshit spending.

I believe conservative ideas and policies can work. Aside from maybe Rand Paul though no establishment Republican is any more conservative than President Obama. Of course, the Republicans here will spew meaningless platitudes, while pretending their party is actually practicing conservative ideals.

Thats why I asked the question. I hear a lot of feel good but no actual policies. I hear Repubs and think their solution to everything is lower taxes, less govt, leave businesses alone, believe in yourself and dont do anything it'll be fine (Global warming, free markets etc)

Its like a self help book combined with dont do anything different ideology that super simple to follow...but

Seriously, this is sad...The entire history of conservatism and they have not ONE example of success? Not one?

I will give you an example that I can't believe anyone has said: The Abolishment of Slavery

The Republican Party came up with the notion to enter a bill in the House that would call for the total emancipation of all slaves. For Lincoln and his party knew that after the war was over the Emancipation Proclamation would be void. It was pushed by the republicans, and with the help of a few democrats, it won by 2 votes.

I am not a republican but at least I know they were a party that stood for something admirable at one point of time. Granted that was over 100 years ago......but at least the conservatives had some good policies back then

Conservatives ended slavery????? Hilarious.

Why would you say what you did?????

During the middle 60's when blacks joined the Democratic Party, the conservatives fled the Democratic Party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party chasing out all the liberals. There are no liberals today in the Republican Party. Of course, the Democratic Party still has conservatives because it's a coalition party.

If conservatives ruled the country during Washington's times, there would be no Constitution, no Bill of Rights, no Declaration. The entire philosophy of conservatives is to keep things the same. To stifle change. Stifle education. Push religion. Squash science. Contol people's "personal lives" in the name of religion. THEIR religion. Conservatives are famous for saying, "It says freedom of religion, NOT freedom from religion".

Anyone? We all know the liberal policies so I'm curious...What are the Conservative ideas that has worked in the past?

Reagan's welfare reform. Reagan's elimination of the crushing stagflation he inherited.

The 1994 Contract with America, particularly the fiscal responsibility which balanced the budget.

Last edited:
Anyone? We all know the liberal policies so I'm curious...What are the Conservative ideas that has worked in the past?

Reagan's welfare reform. Reagan's elimination of the crushing stagflation he inherited.

The 1994 Contract with America, particularly the fiscal responsibility which balanced the budget.

Reagan threw mentally ill people out into the streets to live on their own.

Reagan balanced California's budget through tax hikes so big, after he left office, they had to give money back.

But balanced the US Budget? Not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

During the middle 60's when blacks joined the Democratic Party, the conservatives fled the Democratic Party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party chasing out all the liberals. There are no liberals today in the Republican Party. Of course, the Democratic Party still has conservatives because it's a coalition party.

If conservatives ruled the country during Washington's times, there would be no Constitution, no Bill of Rights, no Declaration. The entire philosophy of conservatives is to keep things the same. To stifle change. Stifle education. Push religion. Squash science. Contol people's "personal lives" in the name of religion. THEIR religion. Conservatives are famous for saying, "It says freedom of religion, NOT freedom from religion".

Yay! I love history lessons.

First off when you say "conservatives" you really ought to be more specific, because there are conservative democrats and republicans. There are also fiscal conservatives, and social conservatives, so be careful applying "conservative" to such a large basis. From your tone in the original post I gathered you meant "republican" conservatives, by which I answered you correctly. Conservative republicans introduced the legislation and after the first time it was shot down, they re-introduced it, and with heavy influence, got it passed. There is no arguing about that, it is simple history.

Your argument seemed to be focus on the 1960's, when the republican party went to shit, and I am not debating that. Your ORIGINAL question was is there any point in time that conservative politics worked, and I gave you an example.

And I am hugely confused about your "if conservatives ruled the country during Washington's time" blah blah blah. That is really ignorant. Thomas Jefferson was what we call "conservative." I'm pretty sure he was a Founding Father. I'm also pretty sure that it was him who fought for public education, and it was him who knew the importance of education. So your argument that if conservatives rules the country during Washington's time is hugely incorrect. Stifle change, education, and so on is what you can label present-day republican conservatives. But that is far from true with the conservatives around during the founding of our country.

Last edited:

First off when you say "conservatives" you really ought to be more specific, because there are conservative democrats and republicans. There are also fiscal conservatives, and social conservatives, so be careful applying "conservative" to such a large basis. From your tone in the original post I gathered you meant "republican" conservatives, by which I answered you correctly. Conservative republicans introduced the legislation and after the first time it was shot down, they re-introduced it, and with heavy influence, got it passed. There is no arguing about that, it is simple history.

Your argument seemed to be focus on the 1960's, when the republican party went to shit, and I am not debating that. Your ORIGINAL question was is there any point in time that conservative politics worked, and I gave you an example.

And I am hugely confused about your "if conservatives ruled the country during Washington's time" blah blah blah. That is really ignorant. Thomas Jefferson was what we call "conservative." I'm pretty sure he was a Founding Father. I'm also pretty sure that it was him who fought for public education, and it was him who knew the importance of education. So your argument that if conservatives rules the country during Washington's time is hugely incorrect. Stifle change, education, and so on is what you can label present-day republican conservatives. But that is far from true with the conservatives around during the founding of our country.

I was very specific. Conservatives fled the Democratic Party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party.

The reason "conservatives" call themselves "conservative" is evident in the word "conservative".

Definition of CONSERVATIVE

: preservative
a : of or relating to a philosophy of conservatism
b capitalized : of or constituting a political party professing the principles of conservatism: as (1) : of or constituting a party of the United Kingdom advocating support of established institutions (2) : progressive conservative
a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : traditional
b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate>
c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners
: of, relating to, or practicing Conservative Judaism
— con·ser·va·tive·ly adverb

Conservative - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Any dictionary or encyclopedia will give the same definition.

Synonyms
archconservative, brassbound, button-down (or buttoned-down), die-hard, hidebound, mossbacked, old-fashioned, old-line, old-school, orthodox, paleoconservative, reactionary, standpat, traditional, traditionalistic, ultraconservative, unprogressive

Antonyms
broad-minded, large-minded, liberal, nonconservative, nonconventional, nonorthodox, nontraditional, open-minded, progressive, unconventional, unorthodox

Reagan threw mentally ill people out into the streets to live on their own.

Reagan balanced California's budget through tax hikes so big, after he left office, they had to give money back.

But balanced the US Budget? Not so much.

Omg!! That's why you hate Republicans, you blame us for kicking you out onto the streets

I was very specific. Conservatives fled the Democratic Party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party.

The reason "conservatives" call themselves "conservative" is evident in the word "conservative".

Definition of CONSERVATIVE

: preservative
a : of or relating to a philosophy of conservatism
b capitalized : of or constituting a political party professing the principles of conservatism: as (1) : of or constituting a party of the United Kingdom advocating support of established institutions (2) : progressive conservative
a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : traditional
b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate>
c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners
: of, relating to, or practicing Conservative Judaism
— con·ser·va·tive·ly adverb

Conservative - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Any dictionary or encyclopedia will give the same definition.

Synonyms
archconservative, brassbound, button-down (or buttoned-down), die-hard, hidebound, mossbacked, old-fashioned, old-line, old-school, orthodox, paleoconservative, reactionary, standpat, traditional, traditionalistic, ultraconservative, unprogressive

Antonyms
broad-minded, large-minded, liberal, nonconservative, nonconventional, nonorthodox, nontraditional, open-minded, progressive, unconventional, unorthodox

Cool, so know you know the definition of conservative and all that come with it. Happy for ya lol still doesn't change the fact that conservative republicans had the emancipation of slavery policy lol And I understand that during the 60's the republican party went to shit. I get it! I am telling you over 140 years ago during Lincoln's time conservative republicans had some good policies. Your beef is with the present-day republicans. they were a completely different party when they were formed.

The end justifies the means is a conservative ideal that's worked in the past. Conservatives can probably thank Newt for resurrecting Machiavelli's axiom and raising it (or lowering it, if you prefer) to a new place of reverence in modern American political discourse. Of course, talk radio played an integral part in the philosophy's resurgence.

Neo Conservatives: We must invade Iraq. Otherwise a mushroom cloud is in our future. We will win in days and Iraqi oil will pay for our efforts.

Social Conservatives: Just say No. To Drugs and to premarital Sex.

Fiscal Conservatives: LOL, do they exist? Only to the extent they want to take pork from everyone but themselves.

Last edited:
I would have to say the #1 thing is keeping the left in check. check and balances, that little thing.

freedom...as per our Constitution

working hard and owning your own business, land, and property...equal opportunity not outcome

believing in a Higher Power and living a life of of virtue...freedom exists in a virtuous society

individual effort to study and learn...stupid people lose their freedom

do your part to support and defend our country...we the people ARE the government

Given that the whole idea of the American Revolution was radical liberalism in it's time, I find it hilarious that the 'Conservatives' of today are claiming these as 'Conservative' ideals.

Forum List

Back