What did you have for dinner?

I made fried rice for my dinner and will be taking some to work with me tonight for my meal break. That stuff is soooo good. I like it way more than fried rice from any restaurant. I have a recipe around here somewhere for it. I'll look for it and post it here. :)

undecided tonight. : /

eggs or tuna....

sometimes i get really fucking NASTY and put montreal steak seasoning in my tuna

chicken innthe fridge is prolly a day too old for comfort and i ate red meat 2x yesterday

Quick Tip: How to Make and Use a Slurry to Thicken Soup

Most of the time, we think of thickening soups and sauces with a roux, which is a mix of flour and fat added at toward the start of cooking. But a slurry added toward the end of cooking is another easy way to get a thicker, more luxurious sauce without a lot of fuss!

Think of a slurry as almost the opposite of a roux. A roux is cooked, uses fat, and is added at the beginning of cooking. In comparison, a slurry is uncooked, needs no fat, and is added at the end of cooking.

To make a slurry, just measure out the flour into a small bowl - use one tablespoon to thicken a small amount of sauce or up to four tablespoons for a big bowl of soup. Add a cup or so of the hot cooking broth to the flour and whisk until they're completely combined. This is your slurry.

Next, slowly pour the slurry into the main pot while whisking. This whole process prevents any lumps from forming and helps the slurry to incorporate evenly. Keep stirring the soup or sauce until it has thickened up.

In place of flour, you can also use corn starch, potato starch, or any other starch. If you already used a roux at the beginning of cooking but want to use a slurry to get an even thicker sauce, use a starch other than flour for the slurry.

Heads up: In culinary school, we were advised that using flour for both the roux and the slurry can cause hydrolysis, which is when the starch loses its ability to thicken. But more on that in a future food science post!

Interesting... I've never used fat in a roux. Never heard of that.

What do you use to make a roux then?

Usually a butter, or a vegetable oil, in French Cuisine it's always a butter.

Yes, oil or butter. More likely oil in Louisiana.

Sure they have fat IN them but they're not literally just "fat".

I haven't made a roux in ages, don't like it much. But I do have some potato starch sitting around waiting for an application. Prolly going to use it to thicken my next curry. :)

Slurries work well to thicken soups and sauces. Just as good as roux. I still use roux to make my mac and cheese though. The butter just goes better with the cheesy sauce. :)

There's also this slurry, so I was a bit confused and also distressed Chris, thinking you were using slurry:

Slurry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's my fried rice recipe. You must try it. It's not very traditional, and I substituted a lot of my own ingredients, but I think it is delicious! :D

Ingredients:

2 cups precooked white or brown rice (I cook mine in beef or chicken broth for extra flavor)
4 slices bacon (cut into 1 inch pieces)
2 eggs mixed
1 large scallion (minced)
1/2 lg sweet onion or a couple of shallots (minced)
1/2 red pepper (minced)
1-1/2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp molasses (or maple syrup and honey)
1 tsp ginger (minced)
1 tsp garlic (minced)
1 tsp mustard powder
white pepper and more soy sauce to taste

Directions:

Mix soy sauce, molasses, ginger, arlic, and mustard powder (set aside)

Fry bacon in large frying pan with onions and red pepper (bacon shouldn't be crisp - just until it's cooked through - you don't want crispy bacon in this recipe)

Move the onion and bacon mixture to one side of pan and add eggs and fry them until cooked through

Cut eggs up into pieces with a spatula right in the pan

Add coked rice and heat on low-medium heat until warm/hot.

Add soy mixture and mix well.

Cook for a few minutes until everything is mixed well and heated through

Add scallions and white pepper and extra soy sauce to taste.

I'm prolly gonna make another attempt at making something out of rice noodles, veggies and shrimp, but GT gave me an idea -- maybe I'll drop an egg in there. Kind of a faux Pad Thai.

eggs or tuna....

sometimes i get really fucking NASTY and put montreal steak seasoning in my tuna

chicken innthe fridge is prolly a day too old for comfort and i ate red meat 2x yesterday

I don't eat tuna very often. I have to be in the mood for tuna and I put chips right in the sandwich. Also, I like to mix it with chopped up pickles.

We have tuna in the vending machine at work. Yuck. I could not bring myself to eat tuna out of a vending machine. :cheeky-smiley-018: There are also disgusting looking hamburgers in there. Gross.

eggs or tuna....

I don't eat tuna very often. I have to be in the mood for tuna and I put chips right in the sandwich. Also, I like to mix it with chopped up pickles.

We have tuna in the vending machine at work. Yuck. I could not bring myself to eat tuna out of a vending machine. :cheeky-smiley-018: There are also disgusting looking hamburgers in there. Gross.
Yea when Im not training, Doritos go right on my tuna or turkey sandwiches. Mmmm.

Damn it

And I want to make a bird's nest.

but i will not faulter!

eggs or tuna....

Yea when Im not training, Doritos go right on my tuna or turkey sandwiches. Mmmm.

Damn it

but i will not faulter!

Are you on a protein only diet or something?

eggs or tuna....

Damn it

but i will not faulter!

Are you on a protein only diet or something?
Remaining Ketogenic for a while, yupp.

Protien, green vegetables and some dairy......but you guys would worship at the Alter of how creative I get sometimes......Its not turture, I just get kind of lazy 2 cook some nights after training so hard. tue,wed & thursday are 2 a days also.

My cravings are gone unless we sit here and talk about bacon crumbles in half-baked ben & jerrys

I'm prolly gonna make another attempt at making something out of rice noodles, veggies and shrimp, but GT gave me an idea -- maybe I'll drop an egg in there. Kind of a faux Pad Thai.

"I'm prolly gonna make another attempt at making something out of rice noodles, veggies and shrimp, but GT gave me an idea -- maybe I'll drop an egg in there. Kind of a faux Pad Thai."

So where's the ketchup in the above, huh? Huh? :poke::popcorn:

"I'm prolly gonna make another attempt at making something out of rice noodles, veggies and shrimp, but GT gave me an idea -- maybe I'll drop an egg in there. Kind of a faux Pad Thai."

And the chocolate syrup! :p

Simple tonight...
Bone-in Chicken Breast and Broccoli
Brined of course, then olive oil, tandoori spice, salt & pepper.
For the Broccoli...steamed, then a quick stir fry with a little butter, slt&ppr, sesame oil and garlic.

It was good. Tandoori blend I get from an Indian store is one of my favorite spices.
I do make full Tandoori chicken from time to time...just didn;t want to do the work tonight.

If I owned a bottle o' ketchup there would be just one thing to go with it....
-- a baseball bat.

::: POW :::

The noodly thing wasn't too great. Think I'll take a cue from IAWIS and do tandoori tamorra.

eggs or tuna....

Damn it

but i will not faulter!

Anyone who likes Doritos is a person of great taste :smoke:

These are my personal choice:

latest

I had spaghetti made with Italian sausage. And yes, I made it. But, didn't eat much of it. Wasn't very hungry. :(

Why wasn't you hungry? Hands in the cookie jar for most of the day? :popcorn:

If I owned a bottle o' ketchup there would be just one thing to go with it....
-- a baseball bat.

::: POW :::

The noodly thing wasn't too great. Think I'll take a cue from IAWIS and do tandoori tamorra.

"If I owned a bottle o' ketchup there would be just one thing to go with it....
-- a baseball bat."

No, you shouldn't be putting ketchup on a baseball bat....hot fudge sauce on a baseball bat, well, this could work :wink:

eggs or tuna....

Damn it

but i will not faulter!

Anyone who likes Doritos is a person of great taste :smoke:

These are my personal choice:

latest

So, according to this thread....I've not eaten since Saturday :eek-52: and HereWeGoAgain hasn't eaten since Saturday :eek-52:

Forum List

Back