What Does The Bible REALLY Say About Queer People?

June is Gay Pride Month. It is a time for parades and for festivals, for rainbow flags and for dance tents. It is a time to recognize the amazing progress that has been made on LGBT equality as we recommit ourselves to continuing the struggle until liberty and justice for all really means "all." Everywhere.

And this year it is not only about gearing up for Pride; it is about counting down to "Decision Day." It is about awaiting the Supreme Court rulings on the Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee marriage cases -- rulings due any day - that could finally make marriage equality a reality in all fifty states.

So here's the 2015 version of my Top Ten FAQs about God, Jesus, the Bible and LGBT People -- offered in hope that together we truly can be the change we want to see in the world and offered in rebuttal to the rabid rhetoric of the anti-gay religious right that infuses our public discourse and infects our political process. Those who use God, Jesus and the Bible as weapons of mass discrimination do not speak for me. And they do not speak for my church.

1. Is being gay a sin?
No. Sins are acts that separate us from God and keep us from loving our neighbors as ourselves. Being gay is not a sin. Bullying is a sin. Being hateful to other people is a sin. Putting yourself in the place of God to judge others is a sin. Being gay is not.

Much More (2 thru 10): God, Jesus and the Bible: FAQs for Gay Pride Month - Rev. Susan Russell

Why do homophobes waste so much time, energy and hate being afraid of LGBT folks and trying to legislate them into the shadows? Fear and superstition, I suppose. I don't get it.

What exactly do you think is going to happen here? Do you think you're going to tell Christians that what they've believed for centuries is wrong, unveil your personal "I'm so much more fucking clever than EVERYONE" view of what they SHOULD believe, and they're just going to go, "Oh, gosh, no one's EVER said that before. What were we thinking? All hail Pope Lakhota for showing us the error of our ways"?

Why don't you just accept that Christianity teaches what it teaches, you don't agree, and NO ONE FRIGGING CARES IF YOU DO OR NOT?

It's like you self-important hypocrites always say about abortion: if you don't like it, don't do it. But don't try to impose your beliefs on others.

Fine, then stay the fuck out of my political life and stop trying to influence how others live!

June is Gay Pride Month. It is a time for parades and for festivals, for rainbow flags and for dance tents. It is a time to recognize the amazing progress that has been made on LGBT equality as we recommit ourselves to continuing the struggle until liberty and justice for all really means "all." Everywhere.

And this year it is not only about gearing up for Pride; it is about counting down to "Decision Day." It is about awaiting the Supreme Court rulings on the Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee marriage cases -- rulings due any day - that could finally make marriage equality a reality in all fifty states.

So here's the 2015 version of my Top Ten FAQs about God, Jesus, the Bible and LGBT People -- offered in hope that together we truly can be the change we want to see in the world and offered in rebuttal to the rabid rhetoric of the anti-gay religious right that infuses our public discourse and infects our political process. Those who use God, Jesus and the Bible as weapons of mass discrimination do not speak for me. And they do not speak for my church.

1. Is being gay a sin?
No. Sins are acts that separate us from God and keep us from loving our neighbors as ourselves. Being gay is not a sin. Bullying is a sin. Being hateful to other people is a sin. Putting yourself in the place of God to judge others is a sin. Being gay is not.

Much More (2 thru 10): God, Jesus and the Bible: FAQs for Gay Pride Month - Rev. Susan Russell

Why do homophobes waste so much time, energy and hate being afraid of LGBT folks and trying to legislate them into the shadows? Fear and superstition, I suppose. I don't get it.

What exactly do you think is going to happen here? Do you think you're going to tell Christians that what they've believed for centuries is wrong, unveil your personal "I'm so much more fucking clever than EVERYONE" view of what they SHOULD believe, and they're just going to go, "Oh, gosh, no one's EVER said that before. What were we thinking? All hail Pope Lakhota for showing us the error of our ways"?

Why don't you just accept that Christianity teaches what it teaches, you don't agree, and NO ONE FRIGGING CARES IF YOU DO OR NOT?

It's like you self-important hypocrites always say about abortion: if you don't like it, don't do it. But don't try to impose your beliefs on others.

Fine, then stay the fuck out of my political life!

You flaunt your political life all over this forum and now want to claim victim hood? You're a nut

The Bible says it's an abomination. True story :)
The Bible says eating pork is an abomination and yet practically all Christians disregard that. If the biblical rationale is to used you should also be looking to ban pork production and see pig eaters as morally deficient sinners, hated by God and rightfully shunned by decent society. You pick and choose what you will disregard and what you will be obedient to. Using the "God's commandment" argument is but an excuse unless you try to follow everything in the biblical law books to the letter.

LOL You're quoting Mosaic and Ceremonial law, done away with by the New Covenant.
That's my point, all the gay stuff is in the same books.

Homosexuality is condemned in the New Testament also. You won't win this one, best run along. Also the ban on eating pork was directed at the Jews,never the Gentiles
Chapter & verse, please.

The Bible says it's an abomination. True story :)
The Bible says eating pork is an abomination and yet practically all Christians disregard that. If the biblical rationale is to used you should also be looking to ban pork production and see pig eaters as morally deficient sinners, hated by God and rightfully shunned by decent society. You pick and choose what you will disregard and what you will be obedient to. Using the "God's commandment" argument is but an excuse unless you try to follow everything in the biblical law books to the letter.

LOL You're quoting Mosaic and Ceremonial law, done away with by the New Covenant.

Homosexuality is condemned in the New Testament also. You won't win this one, best run along. Also the ban on eating pork was directed at the Jews,never the Gentiles
Chapter & verse, please.

Already posted it, scroll up

Chapter & verse, please.

Bullshit

For the Christians, Jesus is God right? So, who was he talking to, himself?

Matthew 27:46

New International Version
About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").

You have no idea how silly this makes you look.
Not at all, who was he talking to? He's God right, fully man and fully God? That's what the Nicene Creed says:

Traditional Wording

I believe in one God,
the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
and of all things visible and invisible;

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only begotten Son of God,
begotten of his Father before all worlds,
God of God, Light of Light,
very God of very God,
begotten, not made,
being of one substance with the Father;
by whom all things were made;

who for us men and for our salvation
came down from heaven,
and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost
of the Virgin Mary,
and was made man;
and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered and was buried;
and the third day he rose again
according to the Scriptures,
and ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;
and he shall come again, with glory,
to judge both the quick and the dead;
whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Ghost the Lord, and Giver of Life,
who proceedeth from the Father [and the Son];
who with the Father and the Son together
is worshipped and glorified;
who spake by the Prophets.
And I believe one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church;
I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins;
and I look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. AMEN.

Chapter & verse, please.

Bullshit

No it's not bullshit, one of your fellow cronies asked and I posted it, he ate crow, salt and pepper for yours also? :)

About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").

Not at all, who was he talking to? He's God right, fully man and fully God? That's what the Nicene Creed says:

Traditional Wording

I believe in one God,
the Father Almighty,

very God of very God,
begotten, not made,

came down from heaven,
of the Virgin Mary,
and was made man;

So tell me what your understanding of the Trinity is?

dog.jpeg

Hey, I found Jesus.

your post is vulgar

1. Is being gay a sin?

Fine, then stay the fuck out of my political life and stop trying to influence how others live!

No one's "in your political life", you self-absorbed navel-gazing juvenile. It's OUR political life. WE live in this country the same as you do, with the exact same rights you have, and we are under no obligation to stay out of politics just because you don't like what we believe any more than YOU are obligated to stay out of them because we find everything that comes out of your head to be vile and noxious.

YOU want to tell Christians to change their beliefs to suit you, or shut the fuck up, and you want to do it because you think that's what THEY are doing. That's called "hypocrisy", fucknut, the alleged cardinal sin to leftists.

I don't have to "stay out of political life" - it's not YOURS, and that can't be reiterated enough - to "earn" the right to have you mind your own fucking business about my beliefs. Get that through your rock skull and into your pea brain.

And there is no amount of "This is what the Bible REALLY says" that is ever going to amount to a puddle of warm piss out of you, so stop wasting your time.

1. Is being gay a sin?

No one's "in your political life", you self-absorbed navel-gazing juvenile. It's OUR political life. WE live in this country the same as you do, with the exact same rights you have, and we are under no obligation to stay out of politics just because you don't like what we believe any more than YOU are obligated to stay out of them because we find everything that comes out of your head to be vile and noxious.

YOU want to tell Christians to change their beliefs to suit you, or shut the fuck up, and you want to do it because you think that's what THEY are doing. That's called "hypocrisy", fucknut, the alleged cardinal sin to leftists.

I don't have to "stay out of political life" - it's not YOURS, and that can't be reiterated enough - to "earn" the right to have you mind your own fucking business about my beliefs. Get that through your rock skull and into your pea brain.

And there is no amount of "This is what the Bible REALLY says" that is ever going to amount to a puddle of warm piss out of you, so stop wasting your time.

The founding fathers gave us a SECULAR government with a GODLESS Constitution. Let's keep it that way.

Traditional Wording

I believe in one God,
the Father Almighty,

very God of very God,
begotten, not made,

came down from heaven,
of the Virgin Mary,
and was made man;

So tell me what your understanding of the Trinity is?
A cheat to get away from the fact that Christianity, unlike Judaism and Islam, is not monotheistic. It has three gods, only, Yeshua didn't believe that which is why, when he was dying, he called out to God, not himself. It helps to explain why the only unforgivable sin is rejecting not God, not Jesus, but the Holy Spirit, another one of the three that are supposedly one, only they aren't and never have been.

Tell us, did God send Jesus with the help of the Holy Spirit to redeem mankind though his death by acting as a sacrifice to God?

If so then God sent God with the help of God to redeem mankind though God's death by acting as a sacrifice to God. Total fucking nonsense, that you firmly believe...

1. Is being gay a sin?

The founding fathers gave us a SECULAR government with a GODLESS Constitution. Let's keep it that way.

Interestingly enough-----"godless" was not part of the constitution-----nor was overt vulgarity

It gives me cold chills to think about what the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit did to Mary. That's more twisted that Fifty Shades of Gray. Holy shit.

1. Is being gay a sin?

Interestingly enough-----"godless" was not part of the constitution-----nor was overt vulgarity
Well if they were founding a Christian nation, banning saying such a thing in the founding document is an odd approach. A Christian nation that is forbidden from establishing itself as that, by the highest law of the land no less, really? You gonna stand on that one, Christian?

Forum List

Back