What if there is no god?

I have a question for all the believers.

What would you do if you found out tomorrow that your god, the god that you believe in, was false?

How would your life be affected?

I know this is a difficult concept for many of you to contemplate, so I'm asking you to think outside the box and put yourself into a hypothetical alternate universe where it turns out your religious beliefs are false.

I'm sure you can do it.

Go read Aristotle for your answer.

Problem with your hypothetical is the only way we could know there was no God is for us to be everywhere in the universe at the same time, at all times, and likewise outside the universe. In other words, in order to know there is no God, you'd have to be God.

Meanwhile in order to know there is God, you just have to interact with Him. Do His will and you will know it. Seek Him and you will find Him.

Do you have the courage and intellectual honesty to experiment on the word?

You're just dodging the question. If it will convince you to actually answer it, modify the question to "would you live life any differently if you lost your faith in God?". It's not a challenge or a threat. It's an honest query that gets to an important ethical issue. The question could also be rephrased to "would you still have the same moral values if you didn't believe in God?".

Of course I'd live differently if there was no God. But there is a God. And my life is much better off for acknowledging and living as more than just an animal.

Problem with your hypothetical is the only way we could know there was no God is for us to be everywhere in the universe at the same time, at all times, and likewise outside the universe. In other words, in order to know there is no God, you'd have to be God.

Meanwhile in order to know there is God, you just have to interact with Him. Do His will and you will know it. Seek Him and you will find Him.

Not my fault you're a bit slow.

Not my fault you're a bit slow.
slow has nothing to do with it you sell that line like a used car salesman...

What would you do if you found out tomorrow that your god, the god that you believe in, was false?

I know this is a difficult concept for many of you to contemplate, so I'm asking you to think outside the box and put yourself into a hypothetical alternate universe where it turns out your religious beliefs are false.

I'm sure you can do it.

All religious beliefs are false but our invisible Creator is the Truth.

You're just dodging the question. If it will convince you to actually answer it, modify the question to "would you live life any differently if you lost your faith in God?". It's not a challenge or a threat. It's an honest query that gets to an important ethical issue. The question could also be rephrased to "would you still have the same moral values if you didn't believe in God?".

Of course I'd live differently if there was no God. But there is a God. And my life is much better off for acknowledging and living as more than just an animal.

But how would you live differently? I hope you can appreciate the motivation for asking such a question. I can't speak to the intent of the OP, but I find the question deeply interesting. The point, in my view, is to understand the where your moral convictions come from. In particular, were you drawn to the god you believe in because it aligned with morals and values you already possessed, or did you adopt your morals and values because of your belief? If it's the latter, how would they change if you lost your faith?

Last edited:

But how would you live differently? I hope you can appreciate the motivation for asking such a question. I can't speak to the intent of the OP, but I find the question deeply interesting. The point, in my view, is to understand the where your moral convictions come from. In particular, were you drawn to the god you believe in because it aligned with morals and values you already possessed, or did you adopt your morals and values because of your belief? If it's the latter, how would they change if you lost your faith?

false chain of events.
if the person is brought up with belief in God the moral convictions stem from the faith.

plus all the traditional morals of the western world are bases exactly on the belief of God and His commandments.

Best argument I've heard ever.

Seriously.

But acceptance of that will surely piss off the professional religionists who dine out on the generosity of the faithful.

except you don't know that our "saint" is as pure a religionist himself/herself as it could possibly be. he/she are just marketing for the possible flock to draw to their "church" of their invention of a "new faith " :D

Ah, but you guys God is all-forgiving!

You're hedging your bets for nothing....unless your beliefs are irreparably flawed.

Believing that God is all forgiving is irreparably flawed. He is not.
He is capable of being such, but without you accepting the salvation provided through His Son, He has no choice but to judge you clothed in your sin. The penalty for sin is death.
He offered you a sin free alternative because He loves you. You declined the offer. Your devastating choice, for all eternity. :eusa_pray:
you believe in so much fiction I could l sell you the brooklyn bridge

Best argument I've heard ever.

Seriously.

But acceptance of that will surely piss off the professional religionists who dine out on the generosity of the faithful.

You sure like to simplify things don't you? Just follow the money... all of us are no more aspiring than cows looking for the next mound of grass.

The argument you find so convincing is without rationale, IMO. You suggest God had no compelling reason for creating us except for his own curiosity.

Like throwing a swarm of attacking termites on top of an ant hill and just see what evolves from it.

What if there is no god?
To say there is no God, is to say there is no love, no creation, no truth. That is the saddest way to live, and is the flag of surrender to the alternative.

God has not been proven to exist or to not exist, which makes agnostic as the only real choice. For now.

I'm sure you can do it.

Okay smartass, yup, you're being snarky, what if tomorrow you woke up and found out there was a God and everything you don't believe in was real.

I know this is a difficult concept for you to contemplate, so I'm asking you to think outside the box and put yourself into a hypothetical alternate universe where it turns out your beliefs are false.

I'm sure you can do it...........

See, two can play your puerile little game. :thup:

Maybe but it should probably be done on two different threads.

God has not been proven to exist or to not exist, which makes agnostic as the only real choice. For now.

Just because you are unable to see the proof, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are many other "real" choices. You don't have a monopoly on the truth any more than any Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu. you're just as fallible as the rest of us.

Forum List

Back