What if: Trump picks Bill Clinton as his V.P. ????

It's possible for a VP to become president for two years and then be elected twice for two 4 year terns for a total of 10 years. Does this mean that B. Clinton could be eligible to be president for 2 more years if it's through the vice presidency? I can see the surpreme court going either way on this question. I doubt that the surpreme court will ever face this question because no one is going to try to have a two term president as a running mate anyway.

Not relevant. The 22nd. Amendment strictly establishes eligibility for the Office of President.

22nd Amendment.

Bill Clinton is not eligible under the Constitution to serve another term as Vice-President or President.

A Vice-President Clinton could not serve in the Office of the President of the U.S. should the person serving in that office die. His previous 2-terms makes him Constitutionally Ineligible.
look at the post above yours. I made a mention of the fact that I was listing the wrong one.
but carry on.

I have read my post(s) and my post(s) stand.

Both the 12th. and 22nd. Amendment makes Bill Clinton ineligible to serve.
Neither one specifically says that a two term president is not eligible to be vice president. Other than the non written fact that it would leave the vice president as president should something happen, and that would be an issue.

If you are not eligible to be elected president you are not eligible to be vice president, period.

Since when is the V.P. elected anymore?

It has been never contested, just like Cruz shouldn't be eligible to run for president.

Since when is the V.P. elected anymore?

Every 4 years.

just like Cruz shouldn't be eligible to run for president

He's a natural born citizen, so why shouldn't he be eligible?

look at the post above yours. I made a mention of the fact that I was listing the wrong one.
but carry on.

I have read my post(s) and my post(s) stand.

Both the 12th. and 22nd. Amendment makes Bill Clinton ineligible to serve.
Neither one specifically says that a two term president is not eligible to be vice president. Other than the non written fact that it would leave the vice president as president should something happen, and that would be an issue.

Neither one specifically says that a two term president is not eligible to be vice president.

"No person Constitutionally ineligible to the Office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

His 2 terms means he is not eligible to be President again.

"No person Constitutionally ineligible to the Office of President

This refers to Clinton

shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

This means he can't be VP.

Where does it say in the 22nd Amendment that a person who has served two terms is not eligible to be President? It doesn't!

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President
shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

He can't be elected again.
You don't feel that means he's ineligible?
So what does it mean?

I think it means he can't be elected President. And if he can't be elected President, he can be elected VP either.
Or appointed VP.

You jumped to a conclusion with your last statement. Had you stopped before that, you would be correct!

Not relevant. The 22nd. Amendment strictly establishes eligibility for the Office of President.

22nd Amendment.

Bill Clinton is not eligible under the Constitution to serve another term as Vice-President or President.

A Vice-President Clinton could not serve in the Office of the President of the U.S. should the person serving in that office die. His previous 2-terms makes him Constitutionally Ineligible.
but carry on.

The 22nd A in no way altered the 12th A. The 22nd just added another reason for ineligibility.

...to be elected, which has not impact on his Constitutional eligibility to be President, he just cannot be elected.

Trump is from NY, bill is from NY they can not be running mates.

If Bill was eligible, they could be running mates, they just wouldn't both be able to get the NY electors.

So why did Chaney need to reestablish his WY residence before running with Bush?

but carry on.

The 22nd A in no way altered the 12th A. The 22nd just added another reason for ineligibility.

...to be elected, which has not impact on his Constitutional eligibility to be President, he just cannot be elected.

If Bill was eligible, they could be running mates, they just wouldn't both be able to get the NY electors.

So why did Chaney need to reestablish his WY residence before running with Bush?

That is why he moved his residency back to Wyoming. So they can both get the electoral votes.

but carry on.

The Texas electors would have had to vote for Bush or Cheney, not both.
That would have most likely meant Bush president, Lieberman vice President.

Doesn't matter. The Constitutional requirements were changed. As it stands, now, he is ineligible.

Now wait a minute here........

If something would happen to Trump as President, and then his VP (whoever it is) took over as President, and something happened to him, then according to the Constitution, the Speaker of the House would then be President.

That being said, could Trump pick Bill Clinton, and if something happened to Trump, and Bill couldn't take over because of term limits, the Speaker of the House would have to take over? That doesn't mean that Bill can't be VP, he just can't take the position of POTUS if something happened to Trump.

The 22nd Amendment says he cannot be elected president. Your scenario is not applicable.

Just throwing it out there. But then there is this:

Q: Could former President Bill Clinton be vice president?

A: Probably not, but it’s an untested constitutional conundrum.

FULL QUESTION

If Hillary Clinton were to win the Democratic nomination for president, could she have Bill Clinton as her running mate?

FULL ANSWER

The original Constitution had no requirements for the office of vice president. However, the 12th Amendment, ratified in 1804, said that, "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

So that would mean that a vice president would have to meet the requirements to be president laid out in Article II of the Constitution. Principally, the person would have to be born in the United States, be at least 35 years of age and have been a resident of this country for the preceding 14 years. So far, so good. Maybe a former president, like Bill Clinton, could serve as vice president.

However, the 22nd Amendment, ratified in 1951, said:

22nd Amendment: No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once.

So this sets up the conundrum. The 22nd Amendment says that Clinton can clearly not "be elected" to the presidency. And the 12th Amendment says that no one can become vice president if they are "ineligible to the office of the presidency."

Clinton has been elected to the presidency twice. So he can no longer be "elected" to the presidency, according to the language of the 22nd Amendment. Does that mean he is "constitutionally ineligible" to serve as president, to use the language of the 12th Amendment? If so, he could not serve as vice president. But finding out would certainly make for an interesting Supreme Court case.

An even more intriguing question might be whether Bill Clinton would want the office, or whether Hillary Clinton would want him there. Plus, having both the presidential and vice presidential candidates from the same state could affect the votes the pair could garner in the Electoral College.

The 12th Amendment says, "The electors shall … vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves." That means that Bill and Hillary could not both get the 31 electoral votes of New York state, unless one of them moved. The electors would have to vote for only one of them, potentially sending the presidential race to the House of Representatives or the vice presidential one to the Senate in a very close election. However, one of them could always declare residency in their old state, Arkansas, like Dick Cheney did in 2000, when he switchedhis residency from Texas, also George W. Bush’s home state, to Wyoming, where Cheney previously had lived.

Justin Bank

Correction, Feb. 29: Our original item included the wrong year for ratification of the 22nd Amendment. It was ratified in 1951, and the error has been corrected.

Vice President Bill Clinton?

Two people from the same state can not constitutionally run for president and vice president. That would also preclude bill from being Trumps running mate.

Well, like the article said, that's an easy thing to get around. Just move. I'm sure Hillary wouldn't mind. And as the article points out, since it's never been tried before, it would present a constitutional problem probably having to be settled by the Supreme Court.

I don't think either of the Clintons want a new scandal to be involved with, so this discussion is all just for fun anyhow. :dance:

I don't think it would ever make it to the supreme court, the 22nd A makes it pretty clear, no one who has served at least 6 years as president is not eligible to be elected again. That ineligibility would preclude service as VP.

Now wait a minute here........

If something would happen to Trump as President, and then his VP (whoever it is) took over as President, and something happened to him, then according to the Constitution, the Speaker of the House would then be President.

That being said, could Trump pick Bill Clinton, and if something happened to Trump, and Bill couldn't take over because of term limits, the Speaker of the House would have to take over? That doesn't mean that Bill can't be VP, he just can't take the position of POTUS if something happened to Trump.

The 22nd Amendment says he cannot be elected president. Your scenario is not applicable.

FULL QUESTION

If Hillary Clinton were to win the Democratic nomination for president, could she have Bill Clinton as her running mate?

FULL ANSWER

The original Constitution had no requirements for the office of vice president. However, the 12th Amendment, ratified in 1804, said that, "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

So that would mean that a vice president would have to meet the requirements to be president laid out in Article II of the Constitution. Principally, the person would have to be born in the United States, be at least 35 years of age and have been a resident of this country for the preceding 14 years. So far, so good. Maybe a former president, like Bill Clinton, could serve as vice president.

22nd Amendment: No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once.

So this sets up the conundrum. The 22nd Amendment says that Clinton can clearly not "be elected" to the presidency. And the 12th Amendment says that no one can become vice president if they are "ineligible to the office of the presidency."

Clinton has been elected to the presidency twice. So he can no longer be "elected" to the presidency, according to the language of the 22nd Amendment. Does that mean he is "constitutionally ineligible" to serve as president, to use the language of the 12th Amendment? If so, he could not serve as vice president. But finding out would certainly make for an interesting Supreme Court case.

An even more intriguing question might be whether Bill Clinton would want the office, or whether Hillary Clinton would want him there. Plus, having both the presidential and vice presidential candidates from the same state could affect the votes the pair could garner in the Electoral College.

The 12th Amendment says, "The electors shall … vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves." That means that Bill and Hillary could not both get the 31 electoral votes of New York state, unless one of them moved. The electors would have to vote for only one of them, potentially sending the presidential race to the House of Representatives or the vice presidential one to the Senate in a very close election. However, one of them could always declare residency in their old state, Arkansas, like Dick Cheney did in 2000, when he switchedhis residency from Texas, also George W. Bush’s home state, to Wyoming, where Cheney previously had lived.

Justin Bank

Correction, Feb. 29: Our original item included the wrong year for ratification of the 22nd Amendment. It was ratified in 1951, and the error has been corrected.

Two people from the same state can not constitutionally run for president and vice president. That would also preclude bill from being Trumps running mate.

Well, like the article said, that's an easy thing to get around. Just move. I'm sure Hillary wouldn't mind. And as the article points out, since it's never been tried before, it would present a constitutional problem probably having to be settled by the Supreme Court.

I don't think either of the Clintons want a new scandal to be involved with, so this discussion is all just for fun anyhow. :dance:

I don't think it would ever make it to the supreme court, the 22nd A makes it pretty clear, no one who has served at least 6 years as president is not eligible to be elected again. That ineligibility would preclude service as VP.

Seemingly the word of the day is "elected." Technically, he would be elected as VP, but not "elected" as President. He would simply be taking over.

But like I posted earlier, even if that was a problem, he could be VP just not be able to take over as President. Then it would go to Speaker of the House.

That might have been better in hindsight.

That might have been better in hindsight.

Cheney president Lieberman vp would have been better.

FULL QUESTION

FULL ANSWER

Justin Bank

Seemingly the word of the day is "elected." Technically, he would be elected as VP, but not "elected" as President. He would simply be taking over.

But like I posted earlier, even if that was a problem, he could be VP just not be able to take over as President. Then it would go to Speaker of the House.

If he can't take over as president, he can't be VP.

FULL QUESTION

FULL ANSWER

Justin Bank

Why can't he assume the office of President as the sitting Vice President? He is not being elected.

For example, Arnold Schwarzenegger is not eligible to be VP because he is not a natural born US citizen.
Just like Ted Cruz.

When was Ted Cruz naturalized?

He wasn't! Therefore he is a natural born citizen of the US.

God I wish birthers would go back to school. Had you been in my class, you might actually have learned something!

Why can't he assume the office of President as the sitting Vice President? He is not being elected.

For the same reason you can be elected to the presidency more than once if you've served more than 2 years of someone else's term. You're not eligible to be president again, quit being a dumb ass.

One Nevada Democrat jokingly predicted 2016 would bring confirmation of a long-running Republican conspiracy theory: That Trump is a Democratic plant who is destroying the GOP from the inside: “Trump picks Bill Clinton to be his vice president, confirming the two were co-conspirators all along

Read more: Insiders give their top predictions for 2016
I hope you know it's impossible for Bill to be VP.

For example, Arnold Schwarzenegger is not eligible to be VP because he is not a natural born US citizen.
Just like Ted Cruz.

When was Ted Cruz naturalized?

He wasn't! Therefore he is a natural born citizen of the US.

God I wish birthers would go back to school. Had you been in my class, you might actually have learned something!
Havana Ted was born in Canada.

Last I checked neither Havana nor Canada is in the United States.

Forum List

Back