What is moral truth and who gets to decide what it is?

Truth and morality come from God. It is not a human construct, the only innate good in humanity is that which is placed there by God, of God.
I assume the same applies to innate evil.

Evil is turning away from God.

I like you. What is your faith?
Christian, Baptist.

Did you hear the one about the guy who went to Heaven and received a tour? He looked through a one-way window into a room and saw a bunch of people dancing. He asked "Who are they". The guide said "They're Baptists. They think they're the only ones here". :)

I'm Catholic, I guess.

Truth and morality come from God. It is not a human construct, the only innate good in humanity is that which is placed there by God, of God.

Christian, Baptist.

Did you hear the one about the guy who went to Heaven and received a tour? He looked through a one-way window into a room and saw a bunch of people dancing. He asked "Who are they". The guide said "They're Baptists. They think they're the only ones here". :)

I'm Catholic, I guess.
That's how people perceive us.

It isn't who Baptists are, however. Remember we're the ones who believe baptism is an act of obedience..but not required to get into heaven. We're the ones who believe only God knows your heart.

Christian, Baptist.

I'm Catholic, I guess.

It isn't who Baptists are, however. Remember we're the ones who believe baptism is an act of obedience..but not required to get into heaven. We're the ones who believe only God knows your heart.

I confess to being rather ignorant about what it means to be a Baptist.

Morality is such a loaded and vague term.

I prefer to say ethical instead.

Our peer group determines what is ethical as a group, and then then impose it on you with threat of ostracism.

Is it immoral for a lion to steal a hyena's kill? I'm pretty sure everyone would say "no". It would probably be rationalized that the lion is advancing both his species and his own genetic lineage. Well, if there is no God, then how is it immoral if I steal my neighbor's food? Am I not like the lion? If there is no God, then we are just animals like the lions and hyenas. Why should I be held to a different "moral" standard than a lion?
You only need a God to be moral, the rest can control ourselves...
Either way it's self control. Just some do it for God.....some for whatever other reason

What other reason is there for morality?

If you are *moral* just to gain standing or to further yourself or your species, it isn't morality at all. It's narcissism.
You could be moral because you think it's good for society as a whole for the benefit of good living but have you

Is it immoral for a lion to steal a hyena's kill? I'm pretty sure everyone would say "no". It would probably be rationalized that the lion is advancing both his species and his own genetic lineage. Well, if there is no God, then how is it immoral if I steal my neighbor's food? Am I not like the lion? If there is no God, then we are just animals like the lions and hyenas. Why should I be held to a different "moral" standard than a lion?

Is it immoral for my cat to steal the hawk's kill?

:badgrin:

She did that the other day. :eek:

I laughed. Poor hawk, though.

She came out like lightning.
If I am preparing meat of any kind for dinner and I am not careful the cat will steal it and run away with it.

This is just cat behavior. Perfectly normal.

Morality is such a loaded and vague term.

I prefer to say ethical instead.

Our peer group determines what is ethical as a group, and then then impose it on you with threat of ostracism.
Who would want to be part of any peer group that would threaten to ostracize you if you don't fit in I know that's the norm for society but who would want that

Confucius says...
people who brag about their own moral truths are usually full of shit.

Christian, Baptist.

I'm Catholic, I guess.

I confess to being rather ignorant about what it means to be a Baptist.
We're the ones who objected to a state religion.

There's no such thing as a moral truth, so nobody gets to decide, not even fncceo.
Proof atheists have no moral truth. :)
Nobody does.
Humanity is full of flawed people, as no one was ever created perfect. We have all sinned, but for some of US we don't intentionally TRY to sin, while others(liberals) have adopted the "IF IT FEELS GOOD, JUST DO IT" mentality and when those who don't think that is a good idea, they are shut down, by being called every name in the book. We have seen it with "deplorable", "Racists", "Sexists", "Homophobes", and "Xenophobes", and the more it is used, the less effect is has on the inured population, which is why President Trump is in office, not the crooked, vagina, candidate, who fell down all the time. Yes, Donald Trump has his faults, but he is TRYING to get America to be great again, the other bitch candidate wanted 4 more years of Obama. No thanks, immorality may be legal , but the US Citizens have voted to bring back normalcy.

c96d7efb58fdc53595727ddcd8ed8a5e.jpg

There's no such thing as a moral truth, so nobody gets to decide, not even fncceo.
Nobody does.
Humanity is full of flawed people, as no one was ever created perfect. We have all sinned, but for some of US we don't intentionally TRY to sin, while others(liberals) have adopted the "IF IT FEELS GOOD, JUST DO IT" mentality and when those who don't think that is a good idea, they are shut down, by being called every name in the book. We have seen it with "deplorable", "Racists", "Sexists", "Homophobes", and "Xenophobes", and the more it is used, the less effect is has on the inured population, which is why President Trump is in office, not the crooked, vagina, candidate, who fell down all the time. Yes, Donald Trump has his faults, but he is TRYING to get America to be great again, the other bitch candidate wanted 4 more years of Obama. No thanks, immorality may be legal , but the US Citizens have voted to bring back normalcy.

View attachment 146997
C'mon brah, there's NOTHING normal about Trump.

Here is something I found on the topic that I found insightful.

Moral Truth

Moral Truth – The Ultimate Judge
When it comes to moral truth, we’ve all heard the relativist mantra, “Who are you to judge?” Frank Beckwith responded powerfully when challenged at a recent presentation: “I certainly do have a right to make moral judgments. I am a rational person who is aware of certain fundamental principles of logical and moral reasoning. I think I’m qualified. Who would you rather have judge, animals? Your claim that I have no right to make moral judgments is itself a judgment about me. Your claim, therefore, is self-refuting.”

Anyone who says you should not judge has already made a moral judgment about you, namely that you are wrong for judging others. Next time someone says, “Who are you to judge?” you might reply by asking, “Who are you to ask the question, who are you to judge?” If someone says, “You should not make moral judgments,” ask a simple question: “Is that your morality?” If so, “Then why are you forcing your version of moral truth on me?”

It's court dependent. So it depends on which court you are talking about, namely earthly courts or heavenly court.

It's not about judging others. It's more about a speculation and estimation of what the judgment of the heavenly court will be.

Nobody does.

View attachment 146997

No one REALLY knows what Trump is trying to do and humans ( in general) are so tunnel versioned with their own biases they just go along with things. Most likely he is just a pawn and obviously arrogant enough to be the current mouthpiece and chief.

Nobody does.

View attachment 146997

No one REALLY knows what Trump is trying to do and humans ( in general) are so tunnel versioned with their own biases they just go along with things. Most likely he is just a pawn and obviously arrogant enough to be the current mouthpiece and chief.
Disagreed on "pawn". He's not a puppet and, as his Tweets have often proved, he's not being manipulated by anyone. As POTUS, he does, however, have limitations as to what he can do, both good and bad.

Nobody does.

View attachment 146997

Disagreed on "pawn". He's not a puppet and, as his Tweets have often proved, he's not being manipulated by anyone. As POTUS, he does, however, have limitations as to what he can do, both good and bad.

True he does have limitations as president, I guess at this point I just dont trust the whole political system and basically see it as a big web.

Nobody does.

View attachment 146997

True he does have limitations as president, I guess at this point I just dont trust the whole political system and basically see it as a big web.
Agreed and you are not alone, which is why the majority of Americans haven't been happy with the direction of our nation for several years now.

Is it immoral for my cat to steal the hawk's kill?

:badgrin:

She did that the other day. :eek:

I laughed. Poor hawk, though.

She came out like lightning.
If I am preparing meat of any kind for dinner and I am not careful the cat will steal it and run away with it.

This is just cat behavior. Perfectly normal.

Your cat is a hood.

Forum List

Back