Whataburger says no to Open Carry; add them to your list gun nuts

The President of Whataburger has come out on the side of sanity.

Whataburger No open carry in our restaurants despite new Texas law - Houston Chronicle

Good news for those who want to eat in peace.
So Whataburger ignoring this law makes you happy, but a bakery not baking a cake is "against the law".

A bakery not baking a cake is "against the law", but sanctuary cities ignoring the laws make you happy.

Is that correct?

No.
Whataburger is making a business decision knowing that a bunch of loons with guns in their stores is bad for business.

A bakery not baking a cake for someone willing to pay for it...not the same thing.

PS: Whataburger isn't ignoring a law. No law says you have to carry a gun nor does any law say you have to allow people to carry guns in your business.

What difference does it make? The law is the law. Suddenly businesses are free to interpret the law as they see fit?

The gun owner is willing to pay for the business.The law says the gun owner can carry. That should be it, no?

And sanctuary cities are breaking the law. You didn't discuss that. Are you against sanctuary cities and states, then?

This is blatant hypocrisy.

I'll argue candycorn's side here. It doesn't matter what the law wording actually states, it is the intent that matters. So the law could plainly say "established by the states" and that means something totally different. Much like the law can say you can carry anywhere but the intent was that someone else could tell you where anywhere is.

If there is a law on the books, it needs to be enforced. Period. End of discussion.
Then why did you start a thread celebrating a company not following the law?

Should Whataburger be forced do allow guns, then?

Whataburger No open carry in our restaurants despite new Texas law - Houston Chronicle

So Whataburger ignoring this law makes you happy, but a bakery not baking a cake is "against the law".

A bakery not baking a cake is "against the law", but sanctuary cities ignoring the laws make you happy.

Is that correct?

No.
Whataburger is making a business decision knowing that a bunch of loons with guns in their stores is bad for business.

A bakery not baking a cake for someone willing to pay for it...not the same thing.

PS: Whataburger isn't ignoring a law. No law says you have to carry a gun nor does any law say you have to allow people to carry guns in your business.

What difference does it make? The law is the law. Suddenly businesses are free to interpret the law as they see fit?

The gun owner is willing to pay for the business.The law says the gun owner can carry. That should be it, no?

And sanctuary cities are breaking the law. You didn't discuss that. Are you against sanctuary cities and states, then?

I'll argue candycorn's side here. It doesn't matter what the law wording actually states, it is the intent that matters. So the law could plainly say "established by the states" and that means something totally different. Much like the law can say you can carry anywhere but the intent was that someone else could tell you where anywhere is.
So an individual business can interpret the intent of a law itself and act based on its interpretation?

Is that correct?

No.

The gun owner is willing to pay for the business.
Not the people who don't go there due to their brandishing a weapon or weapons.

article-2678348-1F57290900000578-386_634x682.jpg

You want to be in the joint when junior there reaches up and grabs the trigger of Momma's assault weapon? I know, I know...absolutely no chance a kid is going to reach for a gun, right?

The law says the gun owner can carry. And there is never a guarantee that someone won't still have a gun on them anyway, ever, anywhere.
This is true. As long as you're not hurting anyone one else, carry your concealed piece all you wish.

And sanctuary cities are breaking the law. You didn't discuss that.

This is true hypocrisy.

I also didn't discuss Arizona State's chances to win the Pac 12 this year.

If you want to know what I think, I don't see how a city can just ignore a law or a President can ignore a law or any government/citizen can ignore a law.

It's one of the things that turn people off from getting involved. If there is a law on the books, it needs to be enforced. Period. End of discussion.

honestly, it is not the guns that scare me in this picture it is truly the mentality of those who think they need to carry such a gun in public. If I were a crook and thought they had something I wanted it is nice to know exactly what and where they gun is located, it will sell for a good price on the black market.

Is that correct?

No.

So an individual business can interpret the intent of a law itself and act based on its interpretation?

I'm of the mind that any business owner can set his own rules for who is allowed on his property and don't really see a problem with it

If there is a law on the books, it needs to be enforced. Period. End of discussion.

No.

If a guy came in shouting profanity at the top of his lungs or insulting customers or reeking of urine, he can be asked to leave. Just like someone carrying guns.

So why does open carry frighten you so much?

Again, I didn't say that exactly. What I was referencing was these groups of people that are walking around with assault weapons

Here is a story about them.
Target respectfully asks customers not to bring guns to its stores Daily Mail Online
A gun slung over their backs right next to a kid who could easily pull the trigger.

I'm sure it's perfectly safe; after all if he starts pulling the trigger, other gun toting people are there to take him out.

Why do you assume every time you see someone with a gun, that you are in danger? Have you a history of being fired upon, or witnessed something else that has brought you an irrational fear of guns?

-Geaux
So why does open carry frighten you so much?

Again, I didn't say that exactly. What I was referencing was these groups of people that are walking around with assault weapons

Target respectfully asks customers not to bring guns to its stores Daily Mail Online
A gun slung over their backs right next to a kid who could easily pull the trigger.

I'm sure it's perfectly safe; after all if he starts pulling the trigger, other gun toting people are there to take him out.

And I'm perfectly sure, unless the kid knows how to take the safety off, pulling the trigger won't do much.

Of course you are.

Or not....

Toddler reaches into purse and gun goes off killing mom

Now you're flipping from rifles to handguns.

Some handguns don't have safeties.

The rifles you've been referring to do.

BTW, the toddler accidently shooting mommy?

how often you figure that happens?

or is once too many for you?

I'm sure once was too many for the family....but I guess that's the price we pay for keeping a 240 year old law on the books...a motherless child, a wifeless husband, a daughterless mother.

Since we have 30 zillion guns in our society, one really has to wonder why she was carrying it to start with right? Obviously since guns make society safer and we have multiple guns for every man, woman, child and microbe in the nation, nobody should have to carry one....

Oh wait; guns make us less safe (hence why she was carrying).

240 year old RIGHT

Just like Freedom of Speech, Right to Assembly, Freedom of the Press, and Freedom of Religion.

BTW, the USA was far from being at the top of your chart, wasn't it?

Brandishing?
THIS is brandishing.
brandishing a weapon - Yahoo Image Search Results
The people in your picture are CARRYING.

Split hair much?
Words mean things

A rifle slung barrel down across someone's back is not being brandished

Oh, okay. I'm sure that makes a big difference when the kid pulls the trigger while she's ordering a pretzel and the bullet takes off your toe.

Huge difference.

No.

If a guy came in shouting profanity at the top of his lungs or insulting customers or reeking of urine, he can be asked to leave. Just like someone carrying guns.
If the crazy guy is breaking the law, you bet. Call the cops and let them interpret.

If the guy carrying a gun is not breaking the law and just standing in line to order, that is clearly quite different.

Very different.

Why do you assume every time you see someone with a gun, that you are in danger? Have you a history of being fired upon, or witnessed something else that has brought you an irrational fear of guns?

-Geaux

And I'm perfectly sure, unless the kid knows how to take the safety off, pulling the trigger won't do much.

Of course you are.

Or not....

I'm sure once was too many for the family....but I guess that's the price we pay for keeping a 240 year old law on the books...a motherless child, a wifeless husband, a daughterless mother.

Since we have 30 zillion guns in our society, one really has to wonder why she was carrying it to start with right? Obviously since guns make society safer and we have multiple guns for every man, woman, child and microbe in the nation, nobody should have to carry one....

240 year old RIGHT

Just like Freedom of Speech, Right to Assembly, Freedom of the Press, and Freedom of Religion.

Yeah, those were good ideas. The 2nd amendment wasn't one of them.

No.

If the crazy guy is breaking the law, you bet. Call the cops and let them interpret.

If the guy carrying a gun is not breaking the law and just standing in line to order, that is clearly quite different.

Very different.

Those guys were not breaking the law. You can use profanity, insult people and smell of urine.

No.

Very different.

Those guys were not breaking the law. You can use profanity, insult people and smell of urine.
I don't know what any given city's laws state. If the cops show up and can remove him based on some law, great. Buh-bye to that guy.

But I do know that if a business owner called the cops on a guy with a visible gun standing in line to order, they'd show up, ask him for his license or whatever, and the business owner would be told there are no laws being broken. The gun owner would then be in the same legal position as two guys ordering a cake.

And that's that.

Last edited:

-Geaux

Of course you are.

Or not....

240 year old RIGHT

Yeah, those were good ideas. The 2nd amendment wasn't one of them.

So unimportant, they made it second on a list of ten.

Your assumptions are your own business and that's fine.
However, don't further delude your self into thing that your assumptions are anything other than just that.
resident gun nut reveals literacy level. Quelle surprise!!!..... NOT :rofl:

Why are you lumping in law abiding citizens with crazy criminals? Do you need someone to point out the difference?

Going only by the people I know personally. The only ones wanting to open carry are people trying to prove their masculinity. They hope someone will question their choice so they will have an opportunity to loudly give their practiced speech about how they are patriots trying to take back the country. In other words.......fruitcakes. I suspect it is the same with most of the goobers.
I agree that some people open carry to get a reaction. I don't open carry but if I wanted to I would and if someone confronted me about it I would ignore them and walk away. If they persisted I would call 911 to send a cop. That would end that little matter.

Open carry wouldn't be as big a problem if that was the expected behavior from most. We both know it is not. Many are hoping for an opportunity to shoot someone, and you can't deny that.
Do you have any data on the number of people who open carry wind up shooting someone? In the whole U.S. in a year you could probably count them one one hand. Now, how about some data on the number of thugs who shoot someone with an illegal weapon. Get out a calculator.

I suspect you are confusing licensed cc people and open carry people. Are you trying to say some of the nuts aren't hoping for a chance to shoot someone? Why do you want to arm Rambo wannabees who will take a shot every chance they get?
yep. Like that wannabe cop- GZ.

Brandishing?
THIS is brandishing.
brandishing a weapon - Yahoo Image Search Results
The people in your picture are CARRYING.

Split hair much?
Words mean things

A rifle slung barrel down across someone's back is not being brandished

Oh, okay. I'm sure that makes a big difference when the kid pulls the trigger while she's ordering a pretzel and the bullet takes off your toe.

Huge difference.

So why the fear of so called assault rifles?

All rifles are deadly and to be respected and used responsibly but a so called assault rifle is nothing but a cosmetic distinction

And yes any weapon can be open carried in a responsible manner

Forum List

Back