When Did Trump Make You A Protectionist Liberal?

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

I feel like I spent 30 years listening to how bad tariffs were while saying, "didn't the god Reagan use quotas on Hondas?".

Oh well. Personally while I think Donald has certain Al Gore like qualities I still like tariffs.

The Quotas brought auto manufacturing to the United States big time..............we had some but they accelerated........and it was primarily aimed at Japan back then. It worked then.........and will work again.............they can choose to be Fair in Trade or face consequences again........How it should be.

I'd rather build American cars for our own evil mega corps but I'll settle for working for our Japanese overlords over unemployment anytime!

So are tariffs good or not?

Tariffs are taxes that redistribute wealth to a minority of the population from everyone else. They are designed to engineer economic outcomes by the government.

If Barack Obama raised taxes to redistribute wealth, Trump's supporters would have gone batshit crazy. But when Trump implements a liberal policy, they cheer. It just shows you the hypocrisy in politics.

China's tariffs average 4%, only slightly higher than America's.

B3-BV635_Dshot_NS_20180921031719.png

The Daily Shot: Markets Signalling a Slowdown in Residential Construction
Canada has a 300% tariff on dairy! Is that good or bad?

It's bad because Canadians are paying a ridiculously high price for dairy products to protect 70,000 dairy farmers.

But what you don't know is that America's trade surplus in dairy products with Canada has exploded over the past 10 years because Fox News and Orange Jesus do not tell you that. You receive biased news sources that do not tell you the entire story.

US-Canada_Trade_Balance_for_Dairy_Products_1989-2017_e9xyi9.jpg

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

Free Trade is a LIE.........It's not Free and hasn't been..........

The arguments are for FAIR TRADE............You cheat on Trade we are going to call you on it...........and in regards to protectionism......in some vital areas of our economy I have no problem with it.................We import 3.5 Trillion a year........and we have the ability to flex those muscles and hurt them as much as they can hurt us or even more.........

Mexico crumbled like a cheap suit.......and the deal will wipe out the Trade deficit........Canada will eventually fold and negotiate......China is the Elephant in the room.............but they will be forced to deal as well........

That is how it worked before all these Trade deals happened.........give and take process........and it worked.

Leftists have made the same argument for decades.

Congratulations. You are a leftist.

Free Trade is a LIE.........It's not Free and hasn't been..........

The arguments are for FAIR TRADE............You cheat on Trade we are going to call you on it...........and in regards to protectionism......in some vital areas of our economy I have no problem with it.................We import 3.5 Trillion a year........and we have the ability to flex those muscles and hurt them as much as they can hurt us or even more.........

Mexico crumbled like a cheap suit.......and the deal will wipe out the Trade deficit........Canada will eventually fold and negotiate......China is the Elephant in the room.............but they will be forced to deal as well........

That is how it worked before all these Trade deals happened.........give and take process........and it worked.

Leftists have made the same argument for decades.

Congratulations. You are a leftist.

Whatever dude.......the only thing you care about is your gambling problem.....

I'm concerned with the American worker.............

Now if I have a sudden urge to shit or burn the flag and dream of rainbows or something.........then you might have a point.

Tariffs were tried by Obama, and they blew up in his face. Tariffs were tried by Bush, and they blew up in his face.

Tariffs are already blowing up in Trump's face.

So you’d hate my preference - total economic isolationism. Nothin in and nothing out. Full stop.

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.

I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

That explains your vulnerability to a huckster like Trump.

Friedman is a liberal on trade. He advocates neoliberalism. Removing government barriers is liberating to industry.

The Clintons are also liberals on trade.

The Clintons are globalist pigs, just like the Bushes, which means they favor shipping jobs overseas. If that is what you mean by “liberals on trade”.

That is exactly what I mean and you can throw Reagan in with the rest of 'em.

Tariffs are the only lever that Donald Trump can pull to bring foreign trade partners to the negotiating table. That is what he is doing and why he is doing it. I am astounded that this simple fact cannot be grasped by the intellectually superior (so they say) Left.
Tariffs were tried by Obama, and they blew up in his face. Tariffs were tried by Bush, and they blew up in his face.

Tariffs are already blowing up in Trump's face.

It's amazing how pseudocon liberals are unable to learn from the mistakes of the past.

When did Trump make you a liberal, Mike?

Are they? Because this economy is cruising.

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.
I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

Friedman is a liberal on trade. He advocates neoliberalism. Removing government barriers is liberating to industry.

The Clintons are globalist pigs, just like the Bushes, which means they favor shipping jobs overseas. If that is what you mean by “liberals on trade”.

Give us some insight. Who was the last one that wasn't a globalist?

So are tariffs good or not?

Tariffs are taxes that redistribute wealth to a minority of the population from everyone else. They are designed to engineer economic outcomes by the government.

If Barack Obama raised taxes to redistribute wealth, Trump's supporters would have gone batshit crazy. But when Trump implements a liberal policy, they cheer. It just shows you the hypocrisy in politics.

China's tariffs average 4%, only slightly higher than America's.

B3-BV635_Dshot_NS_20180921031719.png

The Daily Shot: Markets Signalling a Slowdown in Residential Construction
Canada has a 300% tariff on dairy! Is that good or bad?

It's bad because Canadians are paying a ridiculously high price for dairy products to protect 70,000 dairy farmers.

But what you don't know is that America's trade surplus in dairy products with Canada has exploded over the past 10 years because Fox News and Orange Jesus do not tell you that. You receive biased news sources that do not tell you the entire story.

US-Canada_Trade_Balance_for_Dairy_Products_1989-2017_e9xyi9.jpg
Don’t tell me about bias! Are you even allowed to have Fox News in Canada?

The neoliberal movement began to take shape in the '70's. It got a big boost from Reagan. It was during Reagan's term that it became a "conservative movement". The op is correct, all of the conservative rats jumped ship when they realized, way too late, that the ship was sinking.

The neoliberal movement began to take shape in the '70's. It got a big boost from Reagan. It was during Reagan's term that it became a "conservative movement". The op is correct, all of the conservative rats jumped ship when they realized, way too late, that the ship was sinking.

What about the libs?

What about the libs?
Everyone has been herded into camps. They were against it until Clinton told them it was a good thing.

The right was herded by Reagan. And now herded into another stable by Trump. It is entirely too easy for the ruling class to manipulate the population to their will.

g5000 ... Wrote this post nine years ago...

June 8th, 2009
"I am a protectionist. More jobs for more American is a good thing for America...there is no downside. If China decides their going to stop sending us wobbly-headed plastic dolls, I think we'll live. If Canada stops importing steel, we'll forge more in Erie Pennsylvania.

NAFTA is nothing more than selling out America.

But...to say President Obama CAN'T renegotiate or abandon NAFTA, with a DEM controlled house and senate because he needs SUPPORT is ludicrous."

Canadians angered over "Buy American" rule

The Democrats are so fucked up on everything else...there's no way I can vote for them just because I agree with them on one thing...or used to. Now I get 90% of a loaf instead of 80%...and now that Trump is championing it...liberals aren't for it anymore.

amazing how all the board conservatives were anti union - Trump comes along and now they are pro union.

the stupid shits don't know WTF they are.
They’re blind partisan hacks.

If any Republican president is pro-union and pro-tariff, conservatives become pro-union and pro-tariff and support both.

A pro-union and pro-tariff Democratic president is of course ‘wrong.’

Sigh. . . . Actually, a number of conservative groups and publications have long advocated traditional Republican protectionism, such as the Free Congress Foundation/American Opportunity, The American Conservative, and The National Interest. For nearly 100 years, the Republican Party ardently supported protective tariffs. Conservative Republican presidents from Abraham Lincoln to Rutherford Hayes to Calvin Coolidge supported high tariffs to protect American industry and business. "Mr. Republican" of the FDR era, Senator Robert Taft, supported protective tariffs. America thrived behind this high tariffs during this time--oh, yes, there were a few recessions and a depression during those years, but they had nothing to do with our trade policy (indeed, those downturns would have been much worse had it not been for the protection of high tariffs).

http://miketgriffith.com/files/caseforhightariffs.pdf

Here we go again. Liberals complaining people are too liberal. And explaining to conservatives what conservatism *really* is.
Since the election it’s been one long howl from them that Trump isn’t Conservative enough, that he isn’t Christian enough, that he runs the US in an unchristian manner and that he won’t leave the huge corporations alone because they are private property and nobody can tell Google what to do.
Well you scummy liberals...in 2020 you will have your chance to run a more Conservative and a more Christian candidate against him. Let’s see you do it. And pick one who believes corporations are inviolable because they are “private property”. And be sure he hates labor unions.
Maybe we’ll vote for your new standard bearer.

Liberals never stop bitching. Sucking up to the globalists that are in both parties. Becoming millionaires serving their favorite lobby.

Forum List

Back