When Did Trump Make You A Protectionist Liberal?

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.

No, they are call trade agreements....

US puts tarrifs on SUV from Europe and Europe puts Tarrifs on Small cars from US...

That is call a trade agreement... The ones in place are there were negociated for both parties to win..

Here is an example...

Canada has a tarrif on US milk supplies and Europe has an out right ban...

For that Canada and EU don't run ad after ad in US explaining how doctors all over the world believe that US milk aditivies give you cancer... You see the US agri-business sector don't want US population knowing this and Euroep doesn't want cancer milk sold in to there population.
4 Health Reasons For Why American Milk Is Banned In Europe

So win-win....

Trade Agreement = Free Trade.

Check.

Canada sexually abused me at a party back in the 70's

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.
I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

That explains your vulnerability to a huckster like Trump.

The video does not take into account the foreign countries imposing their own tariffs.

As for the article, again I agree with the concept. Free trade should be unrestricted among equal countries. His quote does not address the problems of government mandated labor laws and environmental laws that some countries adhere to, while others don’t. The ones that don’t (third world shitholes like China) then have a distinct advantage. You can’t just expect businesses operating in first world countries to eat the costs of higher labor costs as well as environmental costs. Ultimately you have to hold everyone to the same standards in order for trade to be “fair”. Otherwise you just put companies out of business who try to compete directly with third world countries, and all the jobs end up moving overseas. Then you are just rewarding those countries for treating their workers like slaves and for shitting on the environment.
Third world shitholes eventually become developed nations. The US used to be a shithole, and we had horrific working and environmental conditions.

You can see the evolutionary process working in Asia. Soon, China will be a nation of consumers. Wages will rise, and the standard of living will improve.

Just like Friedman predicted.
As wages increase we will buy less from them.
As the Soviet Union began crumbling, and the centrally planned economies began to realize their model was a colossal failure, China and India began moving toward market economies.

Suddenly, there were two billion new workers entering the world labor market all at once.

It is my belief this factor is by far the largest reason worldwide wages have been flat ever since.

Once these Third World shithole workers begin to reap the benefits of transitioning to developed market economies, there will be a massive upward pressure on wages not just in their countries, but around the world.
Should mean relatively nothing to us in the US; we really just need a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage and unemployment compensation for merely being unemployed in our at-will employment States.

Federal civilian wages should be going up, if our economy is Good and not Bad.

Inflation is still happening.

We want to lose, low wage jobs that don't cover the cost of social services.

I’m not sure it is a big factor, but I think wage collusion happens more than it should. Apple and other techs fairly recently got caught. I think non-competes have no place in capitalism also.
I agree that non-competes screw up a lot of shit. Most courts are reluctant to enforce them, thankfully.

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

I feel like I spent 30 years listening to how bad tariffs were while saying, "didn't the god Reagan use quotas on Hondas?".

Oh well. Personally while I think Donald has certain Al Gore like qualities I still like tariffs.

The Quotas brought auto manufacturing to the United States big time..............we had some but they accelerated........and it was primarily aimed at Japan back then. It worked then.........and will work again.............they can choose to be Fair in Trade or face consequences again........How it should be.

The tariffs aimed at Japan failed catastropically. They did not work. Our trade deficit with Japan actually increased.

Reagan let the protectionists in his administration divert him from his free trade beliefs. Big mistake.

The quotas worked

We are both protectionists against the free market and small government? (In this case)

Forum List

Back