When Did Trump Make You A Protectionist Liberal?

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

I feel like I spent 30 years listening to how bad tariffs were while saying, "didn't the god Reagan use quotas on Hondas?".

Oh well. Personally while I think Donald has certain Al Gore like qualities I still like tariffs.

The Quotas brought auto manufacturing to the United States big time..............we had some but they accelerated........and it was primarily aimed at Japan back then. It worked then.........and will work again.............they can choose to be Fair in Trade or face consequences again........How it should be.

The tariffs aimed at Japan failed catastropically. They did not work. Our trade deficit with Japan actually increased.

Reagan let the protectionists in his administration divert him from his free trade beliefs. Big mistake.

So are tariffs good or not?
It is not that simple! Tarrifs cause shared pain. They are never good while around all they do is cause economic pain. We only know if they are worth it in hind sight. If both sides of the trade war quit knocking each other over the head and produce a more properous agreement for both sides they end up worth it. If they do not lead to a more prosperous agreement in the future they are nothing but pain.

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.

No, they are call trade agreements....

US puts tarrifs on SUV from Europe and Europe puts Tarrifs on Small cars from US...

That is call a trade agreement... The ones in place are there were negociated for both parties to win..

Here is an example...

Canada has a tarrif on US milk supplies and Europe has an out right ban...

For that Canada and EU don't run ad after ad in US explaining how doctors all over the world believe that US milk aditivies give you cancer... You see the US agri-business sector don't want US population knowing this and Euroep doesn't want cancer milk sold in to there population.
4 Health Reasons For Why American Milk Is Banned In Europe

So win-win....

Tariffs are the only lever that Donald Trump can pull to bring foreign trade partners to the negotiating table. That is what he is doing and why he is doing it. I am astounded that this simple fact cannot be grasped by the intellectually superior (so they say) Left.

Actually he had another option but was too fucking stupid to use it...

TPP it was not only going to beat China but actually bolster the US economy too...

The problem with Trump economics is that he has done none... He thinks like a business deal, zero sum game, if you win then I must loose...

That is pure crap in Macroeconomics... Actually you learn that in week one... A good trading partner is mutually beneficial, yes one side might see more benefits than the other but it can be beneficial for both...

Trump found a group of people (coal miners and steel workers) who's industry is feeling the brunt of international competition. He doesn't point out the winners of cheaper higher grade steel...

Steel from Germany is considered the best in knives, the US knive making industry will suffer if they have to pay extra for their steel. Other countries that used to order US knives will now order them from Japan...

How was US a winner there?

TPP was different. TPP allowed the US to have there low income economy to import from but made sure the had workers rights and enviromental rights the same as US... This is a proven model... Vietnam would then rob industry from China... But would become more wealthy and over time come an actual trading partner, buying computers and machinery from US...

Look at Ireland when they joined the EU... They were one level above third world in 1973, by 2004 they one of the richest countries in the world. The EU had a solid trading partner which bought high end goods from other EU countries...

That is one of Trump's fundamental economic flaw...

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.

US puts tarrifs on SUV from Europe and Europe puts Tarrifs on Small cars from US...

That is call a trade agreement... The ones in place are there were negociated for both parties to win..

Here is an example...

For that Canada and EU don't run ad after ad in US explaining how doctors all over the world believe that US milk aditivies give you cancer... You see the US agri-business sector don't want US population knowing this and Euroep doesn't want cancer milk sold in to there population.

So win-win....
Under the TPP, the Canadian tariffs on milk were going to be lowered. But Trump torpedoed the TPP, and now the pseudocon Rube Herd is whining about the Canadian milk tariffs!

Classic.

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

I feel like I spent 30 years listening to how bad tariffs were while saying, "didn't the god Reagan use quotas on Hondas?".

Oh well. Personally while I think Donald has certain Al Gore like qualities I still like tariffs.

The Quotas brought auto manufacturing to the United States big time..............we had some but they accelerated........and it was primarily aimed at Japan back then. It worked then.........and will work again.............they can choose to be Fair in Trade or face consequences again........How it should be.

The tariffs aimed at Japan failed catastropically. They did not work. Our trade deficit with Japan actually increased.

Reagan let the protectionists in his administration divert him from his free trade beliefs. Big mistake.

The quotas worked

amazing how all the board conservatives were anti union - Trump comes along and now they are pro union.

the stupid shits don't know WTF they are.
They are whatever trump tells them they are.

Is it strange I sometimes listen to Friedman for entertainment?

Tariffs are the only lever that Donald Trump can pull to bring foreign trade partners to the negotiating table. That is what he is doing and why he is doing it. I am astounded that this simple fact cannot be grasped by the intellectually superior (so they say) Left.
Bullshit.

Trying to bully someone into an agreement creates enemies, not allies.

I'll give Trump half credit for not totally seeing labor as anything more than a commodity. He did say American wages are too high.

Union workers, I am one myself, support Trump. Liberals now think their opposition must move into an anti union stance as they lose union workers themselves. Be nice and easy for you leftists if you could continue to define your opponents position as well as your own wouldn’t it?
Those days are over.
So republicans kill unions, and now they support trump? Funny.

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.

I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

That explains your vulnerability to a huckster like Trump.

The video does not take into account the foreign countries imposing their own tariffs.

As for the article, again I agree with the concept. Free trade should be unrestricted among equal countries. His quote does not address the problems of government mandated labor laws and environmental laws that some countries adhere to, while others don’t. The ones that don’t (third world shitholes like China) then have a distinct advantage. You can’t just expect businesses operating in first world countries to eat the costs of higher labor costs as well as environmental costs. Ultimately you have to hold everyone to the same standards in order for trade to be “fair”. Otherwise you just put companies out of business who try to compete directly with third world countries, and all the jobs end up moving overseas. Then you are just rewarding those countries for treating their workers like slaves and for shitting on the environment.

Third world shitholes eventually become developed nations. The US used to be a shithole, and we had horrific working and environmental conditions.

You can see the evolutionary process working in Asia. Soon, China will be a nation of consumers. Wages will rise, and the standard of living will improve.

Just like Friedman predicted.

As wages increase we will buy less from them.

I'll give Trump half credit for not totally seeing labor as anything more than a commodity. He did say American wages are too high.

Union workers, I am one myself, support Trump. Liberals now think their opposition must move into an anti union stance as they lose union workers themselves. Be nice and easy for you leftists if you could continue to define your opponents position as well as your own wouldn’t it?
Those days are over.
/——/ Republicans didn’t kill unions, they killed themselves

Those days are over.
/——/ Republicans didn’t kill unions, they killed themselves
Yeah right to work really helped them. Haha

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.

I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

The video does not take into account the foreign countries imposing their own tariffs.

As for the article, again I agree with the concept. Free trade should be unrestricted among equal countries. His quote does not address the problems of government mandated labor laws and environmental laws that some countries adhere to, while others don’t. The ones that don’t (third world shitholes like China) then have a distinct advantage. You can’t just expect businesses operating in first world countries to eat the costs of higher labor costs as well as environmental costs. Ultimately you have to hold everyone to the same standards in order for trade to be “fair”. Otherwise you just put companies out of business who try to compete directly with third world countries, and all the jobs end up moving overseas. Then you are just rewarding those countries for treating their workers like slaves and for shitting on the environment.

Third world shitholes eventually become developed nations. The US used to be a shithole, and we had horrific working and environmental conditions.

You can see the evolutionary process working in Asia. Soon, China will be a nation of consumers. Wages will rise, and the standard of living will improve.

As the Soviet Union began crumbling, and the centrally planned economies began to realize their model was a colossal failure, China and India began moving toward market economies.

Suddenly, there were two billion new workers entering the world labor market all at once.

It is my belief this factor is by far the largest reason worldwide wages have been flat ever since.

Once these Third World shithole workers begin to reap the benefits of transitioning to developed market economies, there will be a massive upward pressure on wages not just in their countries, but around the world.

As the Soviet Union began crumbling, and the centrally planned economies began to realize their model was a colossal failure, China and India began moving toward market economies.

Suddenly, there were two billion new workers entering the world labor market all at once.

It is my belief this factor is by far the largest reason worldwide wages have been flat ever since.

Once these Third World shithole workers begin to reap the benefits of transitioning to developed market economies, there will be a massive upward pressure on wages not just in their countries, but around the world.
Good theory. I’ve been trying to figure out why wages have been stagnant so long.

Another big factor suppressing wages in America is the rise of the monopsony. No, that is not a misspelling.

If there is only one employer in town, then the workers of that town are hostages to whatever wage that employer offers.

As giant corporations like Walmart and Amazon begin putting mom and pop stores out of business, the workers in those areas are feeling the effects in their paychecks.

As productivity has been increasing, thanks to automation, it takes less workers to produce more goods.

Most rubes don't know that we are manufacturing more goods than we ever have. The jobs aren't going overseas, they are being automated out of existence.

The companies which are reaping the benefits of higher productivity per worker are not trickling those benefits down to the remaining workers.

pbox.gif

Another big factor suppressing wages in America is the rise of the monopsony. No, that is not a misspelling.

If there is only one employer in town, then the workers of that town are hostages to whatever wage that employer offers.

As giant corporations like Walmart and Amazon begin putting mom and pop stores out of business, the workers in those areas are feeling the effects in their paychecks.
I’m not sure it is a big factor, but I think wage collusion happens more than it should. Apple and other techs fairly recently got caught. I think non-competes have no place in capitalism also.

I’m not sure it is a big factor, but I think wage collusion happens more than it should. Apple and other techs fairly recently got caught. I think non-competes have no place in capitalism also.
In the long term, such practices as I have outlined in my last two posts are profoundly self-defeating to capitalism.

Here is an example...

So win-win....
Under the TPP, the Canadian tariffs on milk were going to be lowered. But Trump torpedoed the TPP, and now the pseudocon Rube Herd is whining about the Canadian milk tariffs!

Classic.

Exactly and Canada was not too happy with that but someone in US thought if the US could sell its milk all over the TPP region... Now the TPP might have looked into hormone treatment in livestock in US but US would have huge say that...

Forum List

Back