When Did Trump Make You A Protectionist Liberal?

amazing how all the board conservatives were anti union - Trump comes along and now they are pro union.

the stupid shits don't know WTF they are.
Unions stuck and no one has changed their minds about that.

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.

Let them hurt themselves.

Why should we harm our economy, simply because some other country is ignorant enough to harm themselves?

You do realize that we are imposing trade sanctions on Russia, right?

Do you know what a trade sanction is?

It is protectionism, imposed from the outside, rather than the inside.

Instead of Canada imposing protectionism on themselves, we impose protectionism on them, by passing a law that we can't sell to Canada.

Now if protectionism worked...... Then right now Russia should be in the middle of an economic boom of world wide proportions. After all, we are preventing Russia from importing all those job destroying products from outside the country.

If protectionism worked... then Russia should be turning into an economic powerhouse.

saupload_NewsCommentaryContentImage.png

While the Russian economy isn't in a free-fall slump, it certainly isn't enjoying the steady growth it had in the 2000s.

This is reality. If protectionism is a thing that works, then we would never impose economic sanctions on anyone. We would impose open trade on Russia, and force them to accept imported goods. In fact, we should have forced open free trade on every dictator.

Why would we want to impose economy boosting protectionism on dictators? Like Iran, or Mugabe, or Castro.

Guys you need to come to some consensus at some point. Either protectionism builds the economy, and then you have to ask why we are imposing economy building policies on our enemies..... or protectionism doesn't work, and we should stop destroying our economy with it.

It can't be both.

I'll give Trump half credit for not totally seeing labor as anything more than a commodity. He did say American wages are too high.

Sometimes they are. That's a fact.

If your wage is so high, that the company is being destroyed by competition, then the wage is too high.

Sorry, but that's how life works. If someone else is willing to do your job for less money, then the solution is you need to cut your wages so you don't go out of business, or find a new business.

And here's the kicker... if you refuse to do that.... you'll be forced to do that. Why? Because your company will go out of business, and you'll be looking for a new job, likely for someone else that pays less.

That's why the solution is to find something you can do, that is worth more money. Not complain and cry about how other people are such meanies.

That's why the solution is to find something you can do, that is worth more money. Not complain and cry about how other people are such meanies.

Exactly, learn a trade. Nobody is going to make a call to somebody in China or Mexico to come over and fix their sink, install a sound system, trim some trees, or do some masonry work.

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

He put an R next to his name.

Trump is right. The tremendous trade deficit the US has is a drain on our wealth and something needs to be done about it.

The tariffs are putting pressure on other countries to open up their markets to American goods and that is a good thing.

Free trade has to be both ways and the situation we had for too many years is that other countries were allowed to put barriers on American goods but we did nothing in response.

Thank god Trump has the courage to work the problem. Fuck the other countries if they are butt hurt. We need to stop being their sugar daddy. Trump was elected President of the US, not the President of the World like that dipshit Obama though he was.

Too bad none of the other Presidents had the courage to fix this problem.

We hear all these things about how we are getting fucked on the trade deals, yet somehow we are now at 110 months of economic expansion, the 2nd longest in our history, we have record/near record lows for unemployment and jobless claims, the major financial markets are in near record territory and there are literally more job opening than people to fill them.

And all of this took place under the current trade deals as not a single new deal has been accomplished by Trump

Can someone please how all that is happening if we are being fucked over so badly?

President Trump removed a million regulations that stifled business. He cut corporate tax rates!

...When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal...
First, let's make sure we're talking about the same Donald Trump:

Trump Got Trade Right at the G-7: All Tariffs Must Go
Terms of Service Violation

Trump Proposes Mutual Removal of All Tariffs in Trade With EU

This is just a tactic, Trump really wants to eliminate all tariffs

Trump says trade should be 'tariff free' between G-7 nations

Trump floats scrapping all tariffs, barriers at G-7 summit: report

Second, who are you talking to that supposedly has turned "into a far left protectionist liberal..."?

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.
The same real conservative, Milton Friedman, again:

A fourth argument, one that was made by Alexander Hamilton and continues to be repeated down to the present, is that free trade would be fine if all other countries practiced free trade but that, so long as they do not, the United States cannot afford to. This argument has no validity whatsoever, either in principle or in practice. Other countries that impose restrictions on international trade do hurt us. But they also hurt themselves. Aside from the three cases just considered, if we impose restrictions in turn, we simply add to the harm to ourselves and also harm them as well. Competition in masochism and sadism is hardly a prescription for sensible international economic policy! Far from leading to a reduction in restrictions by other countries, this kind of retaliatory action simply leads to further restrictions.

The Case for Free Trade

So, Frank, when did Trump make you a liberal?
285% or so on our chicken products to Canada............Subsidizing timber.............tell me how that's Free Bubba.

We subsidize our dairy industry to the tune of 70% of their income...tell me how we are any different than the nations you whine about.
link

Demanding that countries get rid of their tariffs against us is finally someone with the balls to try and tackle the Trade Deficits this country has today. He wants the jobs back here and so do I. The deal with Mexico just did that............and he's pressuring the others to do the same...........They want their cake and eat it too..........and screw our jobs in the process..........in most cases the deals are actually demanding No Tariffs between the countries...........

How the hell is this WRONG...............unless you are so far up the Globalist's asses that we see you when they smile............

Sorry...........I support the American worker over other countries workers..............and if your Globalism stocks take a dang hit for it...........I really don't care.

The same real conservative, Milton Friedman, again:

A fourth argument, one that was made by Alexander Hamilton and continues to be repeated down to the present, is that free trade would be fine if all other countries practiced free trade but that, so long as they do not, the United States cannot afford to. This argument has no validity whatsoever, either in principle or in practice. Other countries that impose restrictions on international trade do hurt us. But they also hurt themselves. Aside from the three cases just considered, if we impose restrictions in turn, we simply add to the harm to ourselves and also harm them as well. Competition in masochism and sadism is hardly a prescription for sensible international economic policy! Far from leading to a reduction in restrictions by other countries, this kind of retaliatory action simply leads to further restrictions.

The Case for Free Trade

So, Frank, when did Trump make you a liberal?
285% or so on our chicken products to Canada............Subsidizing timber.............tell me how that's Free Bubba.

We subsidize our dairy industry to the tune of 70% of their income...tell me how we are any different than the nations you whine about.

They are ours you traitorous cuck. Let the other countries defend their subsidies while you attack iurscfrom the inside right?

No! Half of you do not deserve defending! You hate America so much you won’t even pay taxes, then bitch every second of your life about those who do and demand that the taxpayer must pay more! Then, on top of that you want to dictate where the funds that you are unwilling to contribute to must be spent!

I love it when you sheep get outed for being so full of bullshit. You claim to support one thing, but your votes prove otherwise.

As for my love of this country and the taxes I pay...I spent 20 years of my life defending this country because pieces of shit like you choose to sit back and sponge off of the work of those that defend your freedom to be a lowlife. You claim to love your country but never lifted a finger to serve it.

I can practically guarantee that the check I sent the Feds in April to cover my tax burden not covered by payroll deductions was more than your entire tax burden, so you can kiss my ass with you partisan sheep bullshit.

When your fucking savior in the White House comes out and says he is ending all Ag subsidizes, let me know.

You, like any liberal, love to be the interpreter of what other people “claim”. Like the OP here. Build a straw man and then beg me to defend it? You don’t get to set the standards and beliefs of your opposition.

I'll give Trump half credit for not totally seeing labor as anything more than a commodity. He did say American wages are too high.

Union workers, I am one myself, support Trump. Liberals now think their opposition must move into an anti union stance as they lose union workers themselves. Be nice and easy for you leftists if you could continue to define your opponents position as well as your own wouldn’t it?
Those days are over.

...When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal...
First, let's make sure we're talking about the same Donald Trump:

Trump Got Trade Right at the G-7: All Tariffs Must Go
Terms of Service Violation

Second, who are you talking to that supposedly has turned "into a far left protectionist liberal..."?

They build a straw man and demand that we defend it. But in your excellent post you do remind us that the purpose of Trumpsxactions is a better trade situation for us.
Our choices are limited to three. (1) we could accept an inferior trade deal detrimental to our own people. (2) we could bomb the other side into submission or (3) we can retaliate against lousy trade deals with our own tariffs until they submit and agree to fair trade.
The goal is free and fair trade. The stick is tariffs.
Trump is always looking out for our best interests.

Union workers, I am one myself, support Trump. Liberals now think their opposition must move into an anti union stance as they lose union workers themselves. Be nice and easy for you leftists if you could continue to define your opponents position as well as your own wouldn’t it?
Those days are over.

Trump isn't my opponent. The position on this matter I took defended Trump from having a totally liberal view towards labor by using what he said concerning U.S. wages. Thus your point about me defining anything is mute.

Those days are over.

Trump isn't my opponent. The position on this matter I took defended Trump from having a totally liberal view towards labor by using what he said concerning U.S. wages. Thus your point about me defining anything is mute.

Was not aiming that at you.

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.

I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

That explains your vulnerability to a huckster like Trump.

The video does not take into account the foreign countries imposing their own tariffs.

As for the article, again I agree with the concept. Free trade should be unrestricted among equal countries. His quote does not address the problems of government mandated labor laws and environmental laws that some countries adhere to, while others don’t. The ones that don’t (third world shitholes like China) then have a distinct advantage. You can’t just expect businesses operating in first world countries to eat the costs of higher labor costs as well as environmental costs. Ultimately you have to hold everyone to the same standards in order for trade to be “fair”. Otherwise you just put companies out of business who try to compete directly with third world countries, and all the jobs end up moving overseas. Then you are just rewarding those countries for treating their workers like slaves and for shitting on the environment.

Third world shitholes eventually become developed nations. The US used to be a shithole, and we had horrific working and environmental conditions.

You can see the evolutionary process working in Asia. Soon, China will be a nation of consumers. Wages will rise, and the standard of living will improve.

Just like Friedman predicted.

Forum List

Back