When Did Trump Make You A Protectionist Liberal?

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.

I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

That explains your vulnerability to a huckster like Trump.

The video does not take into account the foreign countries imposing their own tariffs.

As for the article, again I agree with the concept. Free trade should be unrestricted among equal countries. His quote does not address the problems of government mandated labor laws and environmental laws that some countries adhere to, while others don’t. The ones that don’t (third world shitholes like China) then have a distinct advantage. You can’t just expect businesses operating in first world countries to eat the costs of higher labor costs as well as environmental costs. Ultimately you have to hold everyone to the same standards in order for trade to be “fair”. Otherwise you just put companies out of business who try to compete directly with third world countries, and all the jobs end up moving overseas. Then you are just rewarding those countries for treating their workers like slaves and for shitting on the environment.

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.

I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

Friedman is a liberal on trade. He advocates neoliberalism. Removing government barriers is liberating to industry.

So are tariffs good or not?

Tariffs are taxes that redistribute wealth to a minority of the population from everyone else. They are designed to engineer economic outcomes by the government.

If Barack Obama raised taxes to redistribute wealth, Trump's supporters would have gone batshit crazy. But when Trump implements a liberal policy, they cheer. It just shows you the hypocrisy in politics.

China's tariffs average 4%, only slightly higher than America's.

B3-BV635_Dshot_NS_20180921031719.png

The Daily Shot: Markets Signalling a Slowdown in Residential Construction

Tariffs are the only lever that Donald Trump can pull to bring foreign trade partners to the negotiating table. That is what he is doing and why he is doing it. I am astounded that this simple fact cannot be grasped by the intellectually superior (so they say) Left.
Tariffs were tried by Obama, and they blew up in his face. Tariffs were tried by Bush, and they blew up in his face.

Tariffs are already blowing up in Trump's face.

It's amazing how pseudocon liberals are unable to learn from the mistakes of the past.

When did Trump make you a liberal, Mike?

How are tariffs already blowing up in his face?
See post 11.

And have you already forgotten the bailout Trump had to give the farmers damaged by his tariffs? Or did your propagandists keep you in the dark about that?

Trump’s $12 Billion Bailout Is No Remedy for Farmers Caught in Trade War

When did Trump make you a liberal on tariffs and government bailouts, Hawk?

Again, those farmers are being hurt by China’s tariffs. China is freaking out because they know damned well they need to be able to export to the US or their economy will collapse. China can not afford a trade war with the US because the trade deficit is so one sided. These tariffs they are imposing on our farm goods is just them panicking and will only be temporary until they beg President Trump for a trade deal. President Trump is smart enough to realize this and will hold his ground until the Chinese cave.

Tariffs are taxes that redistribute wealth to a minority of the population from everyone else. They are designed to engineer economic outcomes by the government.

If Barack Obama raised taxes to redistribute wealth, Trump's supporters would have gone batshit crazy. But when Trump implements a liberal policy, they cheer. It just shows you the hypocrisy in politics.

Canada has a 300% tariff on dairy! Is that good or bad?

Free Trade is a LIE.........It's not Free and hasn't been..........

The arguments are for FAIR TRADE............You cheat on Trade we are going to call you on it...........and in regards to protectionism......in some vital areas of our economy I have no problem with it.................We import 3.5 Trillion a year........and we have the ability to flex those muscles and hurt them as much as they can hurt us or even more.........

Mexico crumbled like a cheap suit.......and the deal will wipe out the Trade deficit........Canada will eventually fold and negotiate......China is the Elephant in the room.............but they will be forced to deal as well........

That is how it worked before all these Trade deals happened.........give and take process........and it worked.

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.
The same real conservative, Milton Friedman, again:

A fourth argument, one that was made by Alexander Hamilton and continues to be repeated down to the present, is that free trade would be fine if all other countries practiced free trade but that, so long as they do not, the United States cannot afford to. This argument has no validity whatsoever, either in principle or in practice. Other countries that impose restrictions on international trade do hurt us. But they also hurt themselves. Aside from the three cases just considered, if we impose restrictions in turn, we simply add to the harm to ourselves and also harm them as well. Competition in masochism and sadism is hardly a prescription for sensible international economic policy! Far from leading to a reduction in restrictions by other countries, this kind of retaliatory action simply leads to further restrictions.

The Case for Free Trade

So, Frank, when did Trump make you a liberal?
285% or so on our chicken products to Canada............Subsidizing timber.............tell me how that's Free Bubba.

amazing how all the board conservatives were anti union - Trump comes along and now they are pro union.

the stupid shits don't know WTF they are.
Baloney..........I believe in the Right to Work in States..........I also believe in fighting back when they are trying to screw us. I also believe some industries are critical to a nation..........which is to produce our own steel, auto's and weapons............our own lumber and such.........these industries use our resources and put Americans to work.

If you like the other countries so much better than us I suggest you move there. We call a spade a spade.........deal with it.

LOL

Tell your Comrads to shove their unfair trade practices up their asses.
:abgg2q.jpg:

Friedman is a liberal on trade. He advocates neoliberalism. Removing government barriers is liberating to industry.

The Clintons are also liberals on trade.

And Clinton cheered NAFTA...........sooo great................So his buddies can move their plants to Mexico and use the cheap labor and no regulations to put Americans out of work here.............They don't have to pay the other costs of business down there either.........Medical and Enviro issues......playing field was stacked to outsource our manufacturing to them and the Big Boys...................

No dice..........it's about time someone took them and others to the mat................

The point of tariffs isn’t to raise taxes, at least not in the long run. It’s to enable businesses to remain in your country and not have them move to third world countries.

Obama used tariffs against Chinese tires, and it was definitely a good thing. Funny how he claimed it save over a thousand US jobs (it did), yet now liberals are making the argument that tariffs never work.

They worked for Obama the one time he used them, and it works for other countries. They will work for us if we commit to it.

Trump uses tariffs as a bargaining chip. As you know, our trade imbalance with most countries is substantial. Trump's trying to right the sinking ship with tariffs as a part of the negotiations. It's in the other countries best interests to negotiate. So far, it's working nicely, multiple trade concessions have been made.
I agree with the poster that said Trump is a Populist. He's actually a hybrid of populism and conservatism, but he's delivered on more conservative changes than many other POTUS have.
His positions on trade and concern for the little guy were refreshing.
That's how he got my vote as a former Democrat.

The Clintons are globalist pigs, just like the Bushes, which means they favor shipping jobs overseas. If that is what you mean by “liberals on trade”.

I feel like I spent 30 years listening to how bad tariffs were while saying, "didn't the god Reagan use quotas on Hondas?".

Oh well. Personally while I think Donald has certain Al Gore like qualities I still like tariffs.

When Did Trump Make You A Protectionist Liberal?

After Obama and the dems gave all of our jobs away.....when did you become an establishment butt sucker neo con?.....

The better question is when did Trump turn liberals (like himself) into hating high paying blue collar Union jobs?

I feel like I spent 30 years listening to how bad tariffs were while saying, "didn't the god Reagan use quotas on Hondas?".

Oh well. Personally while I think Donald has certain Al Gore like qualities I still like tariffs.

The Quotas brought auto manufacturing to the United States big time..............we had some but they accelerated........and it was primarily aimed at Japan back then. It worked then.........and will work again.............they can choose to be Fair in Trade or face consequences again........How it should be.

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.
The same real conservative, Milton Friedman, again:

A fourth argument, one that was made by Alexander Hamilton and continues to be repeated down to the present, is that free trade would be fine if all other countries practiced free trade but that, so long as they do not, the United States cannot afford to. This argument has no validity whatsoever, either in principle or in practice. Other countries that impose restrictions on international trade do hurt us. But they also hurt themselves. Aside from the three cases just considered, if we impose restrictions in turn, we simply add to the harm to ourselves and also harm them as well. Competition in masochism and sadism is hardly a prescription for sensible international economic policy! Far from leading to a reduction in restrictions by other countries, this kind of retaliatory action simply leads to further restrictions.

The Case for Free Trade

So, Frank, when did Trump make you a liberal?
So you are an establishment neo con?.....when did Obama turn you into that?.....

Forum List

Back