🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Where does free will come from?

Well... if you are bound by something other than your ablity to make whatever choice you decide you want to make, then you do not really possess free will.
It all depends on how you define free will. I'm saying that our free will is a by-product of cause and effect, and not a contradiction of causality. If you go the traditional route, and define free will such that it is free from cause, then no, we don't possess that kind of free will.
But, we do. Your decisions are generally shaped by your experiences, but are in no way bound by them.

The question still remains, however...
To truely choose, we must have some degree of conscious control over our physiology.
Agree?

Nobody can be truly free surrounded by so many millions of guns in the hands of so many retards. A state just passed a law that's it's now ok to be packing in a bar. Now if there's something that goes well with guns, it's drunken bar fights.

Nobody can be truly free surrounded by so many millions of guns in the hands of so many retards. A state just passed a law that's it's now ok to be packing in a bar. Now if there's something that goes well with guns, it's drunken bar fights.
Your off-topic blatering only serves to support the premise that anti-gun loons can only argue from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.
Go troll somehwere else -- the adults are tying to have a legitimate conversation.

All biology derives from chemistry.
All chemistry derives from physics.

Free will requires willfull control over the biological functions of the brain, and then, by extension, the willfull control over the physics that drive the chemisty which allows this biological control.

Where does this willfull control of physics come from?

Your "willfull control of physics" is still subjegated to the laws of physics. You can make an individual decision as to what you want your own physical body to do as far choosing to walk or run but no amount of "free will" is going to make your body fly off the ground and soar with the birds. Even if you alter the chemistry of your brain to believe that you can fly and jump out of a window you will still end up on the sidewalk below. Your "free will" only has a very limited "control of physics".

Your off-topic blatering only serves to support the premise that anti-gun loons can only argue from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.
Go troll somehwere else -- the adults are tying to have a legitimate conversation.

How can you have free will when everyone has a gun? Tray couldn't even walk down the street without some lunatic following him with a gun.

How can you have free will when everyone has a gun? Tray couldn't even walk down the street without some lunatic following him with a gun.

Free will requires willfull control over the biological functions of the brain, and then, by extension, the willfull control over the physics that drive the chemisty which allows this biological control.

Your "willfull control of physics" is still subjegated to the laws of physics.
Ok... and what mechanism within the laws of physics allows us to consciously and willfully choose to fire / to not fire electical impulses down a neural pathway?

Just curious, if it isn't civilians joining the army, then who does?

Ok... and what mechanism within the laws of physics allows us to consciously and willfully choose to fire / to not fire electical impulses down a neural pathway?

Since all creatures with brains "fire electrical impulses down a neural pathway" are you claiming that they too have "free will"? This would even include ants since they too have brains.

Well... if you are bound by something other than your ablity to make whatever choice you decide you want to make, then you do not really possess free will.
It all depends on how you define free will. I'm saying that our free will is a by-product of cause and effect, and not a contradiction of causality. If you go the traditional route, and define free will such that it is free from cause, then no, we don't possess that kind of free will.
But, we do. Your decisions are generally shaped by your experiences, but are in no way bound by them.

What I'm saying is that's an unwarranted assumption. There's no objective evidence (outside a 'gut-feeling' most of us harbor) that suggests our thoughts and decisions are free from causality. But again, I have to ask - what would it even mean for our thoughts to be free from causality? And why would that be preferable? Wouldn't they just be random occurrences in that case?

Last edited:

What I'm saying is that's an unwarranted assumption. There's no objective evidence (outside a 'gut-feeling' most of us harbor) that suggests our thoughts and decisions are free from causality. But again, I have to ask - what would it even mean for our thoughts to be free from causality? And why would that be preferable? Wouldn't they just be random occurrences in that case?
Politicians have no free will, they get bullied by the NRA, among others...

Since all creatures with brains "fire electrical impulses down a neural pathway" are you claiming that they too have "free will"? This would even include ants since they too have brains.
You're dodging the question.

What I'm saying is that's an unwarranted assumption. There's no objective evidence (outside a 'gut-feeling' most of us harbor) that suggests our thoughts and decisions are free from causality.
Ok.. lets say that all of our decisions are in some way bound to our experiences.
The question still remains:
To truely choose, we must have some degree of conscious control over our physiology.
Agree?

But again, I have to ask - what would it even mean for our thoughts to be free from causality? And why would that be preferable? Wouldn't they just be random occurrences in that case?
I dont see how this is relevant to the topic I present here.

Not in the least. The response you received was merely asking for a clarification.

What I'm saying is that's an unwarranted assumption. There's no objective evidence (outside a 'gut-feeling' most of us harbor) that suggests our thoughts and decisions are free from causality.
Ok.. lets say that all of our decisions are in some way bound to our experiences.
Agree?

It sounds like you're asking how a thought or decision gets translated into action? Well, thoughts are actions - they're already part of our physiology as neural impulses that can trigger any number of physical actions. It sounds like you're still falling back on the idea that thoughts are somehow outside of physical reality.

But again, I have to ask - what would it even mean for our thoughts to be free from causality? And why would that be preferable? Wouldn't they just be random occurrences in that case?
I dont see how this is relevant to the topic I present here.

I'm addressing the assumption that our thoughts and decisions aren't bound by causality. Most people seem to find the idea that they are 'merely' a result of their previous experiences really dissatisfying. That view is the primary driver behind the assumption that we aren't bound by causality. I'm asking the question because, as dissatisfying as being the product of causality might seem, I don't see how being the product of randomness is any more satisfying.

Not in the least. The response you received was merely asking for a clarification.
I stated:

Nothig here makes any reference to any other animals other than man.

Hopefully that clears the way for you to asnwer my question.

Agree?
It sounds like you're asking how a thought or decision gets translated into action? Well, thoughts are actions...
Thoughts are willful, as are actions based on choice.

They all rest on the willful, conscious control of the physiology of our brains, which requires the ability to choose/ choose not to fire the nuerons in the manner necessary to do so.

Agree?

I'm addressing the assumption that our thoughts and decisions aren't bound by causality.
Ah. Well, we're past that now.

Agree?
It sounds like you're asking how a thought or decision gets translated into action? Well, thoughts are actions...

They all rest on the willful, conscious control of the physiology of our brains, which requires the ability to choose/ choose not to fire the nuerons in the manner necessary to do so.

Agree?

Not in the sense you're claiming, no. The act of choosing IS the firing of neurons; which is caused by the previous firing of neurons, etc, etc...

I'm addressing the assumption that our thoughts and decisions aren't bound by causality.
Ah. Well, we're past that now.

I'm not sure we are. You seem to be hedging back on the idea that thoughts and decisions are composed of something beyond biochemical events.

I stated:

Nothig here makes any reference to any other animals other than man.

Hopefully that clears the way for you to asnwer my question.

You are equating "free will" with the firing of "electrical impulses down a neural pathway". Since this is also done by other creatures "consciously and willfully" that means that they too must have "free will". A pride of lions will "consciously and willfully" decide to stalk a herd of zebra and each lion will be firing "electrical impulses down a neural pathway" as they take up positions. The behavior that we can observe demonstrates "free will" per the definition that you have provided. Nothing so far indicates that there is any difference between the way they are exercising "conscious and willful" control over the physics and chemistry of their own bodies and how we do the same.

Agree?

Not in the sense you're claiming, no. The act of choosing IS the firing of neurons; which is caused by the previous firing of neurons, etc, etc...
All of which requires at least some degree of willful control - else, there is no possibility of choice.
Correct?

I'm not sure we are. You seem to be hedging back on the idea that thoughts and decisions are composed of something beyond biochemical events.
They are exacly that - events that are willfully exercised by the person thinking and making the decisions.

Forum List

Back