White Christians Are Now a Minority—But They're Getting More Isolated and Less Tolerant

`
If social forums are any indication, some of the most vocal Christians appear also to be the cruelest. Scary stuff.
`

I'd suggest you inquire for yourself by checking out local churches' websites and Facebook pages. Many websites have audio of their latest sermons which allows for unfiltered knowledge of their stances on the social issues of today. With younger folks, non-denominational Christian churches have become quite popular. One sermon series I enjoyed was Life in the Gray Van, where the church's assistant minister described his encounters as an Uber driver. ( SERMONS – WCC )

At my age the more traditional churches appeal to me. I follow a few sermons of various churches from these three denominations.

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
Because God gives us our unity in Christ, we are able to see and respect the diversity within Christ’s body. We receive it as a gift and embrace it, rather than treating it as a threat or a problem to be solved (1 Corinthians 12:12-13). We respect and honor the diversity of histories, traditions, cultures, languages and experiences among us in the ELCA and in the larger Christian community of faith. We seek full participation of all in the life and work of this church and will strenuously avoid the culture of any one group becoming the 4 norm for all in the ELCA. And we strive to address the ways that racism, sexism, classism and other forms of injustice limit participation and harm people, communities and the whole body of Christ. In all these relationships the ELCA serves reconciliation and healing with other Christians, while repentantly acknowledging its failings and wrongs, trusting in God’s forgiving mercy.
About

United Church of Christ
We believe the UCC is called to be a united and uniting church. "That they may all be one." (John 17:21) "In essentials–unity, in nonessentials–diversity, in all things–charity," These UCC mottos survive because they touch core values deep within us. The UCC has no rigid formulation of doctrine or attachment to creeds or structures. Its overarching creed is love. UCC pastors and teachers are known for their commitment to excellence in theological preparation, interpretation of the scripture and justice advocacy. Even so, love and unity in the midst of our diversity are our greatest assets.
What We Believe

Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
We are Disciples of Christ, a movement for wholeness in a fragmented world. As part of the one body of Christ we welcome all to the Lord’s Table as God has welcomed us.
Our Identity as Disciples of Christ

`
Religious homophobia is driving away young people, but evangelical leaders double down on anti-LGBT bigotry

Last week, the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) put out a new report on religion in America that measured a truly remarkable shift: For the first time, almost certainly in the country’s history, people who identify as white Christians are a minority of Americans. Four out of every five Americans were self-described white Christians in 1976, but now that group only constitutes 43 percent of the U.S. population.

There are a lot of reasons for this shift, study author Robert P. Jones, who heads PRRI and is the author of “The End of White Christian America,” explained to Salon in an interview. To a large extent, Jones said, it’s the trend of “young, white people leaving Christian churches that is driving up the number of religiously unaffiliated Americans.”

This reflects, he added, “a culture clash between particularly conservative white churches and denominations and younger Americans” over issues like science, particularly climate change and evolution, and especially the rights of LGBT people.
- Source
`
Mind you, Christianity still comprises 70% of our total population but that includes blacks, Latinos, Asians and the rest. In what I see as my white generation (I'm 33), many people are still into spirituality but have totally abandon the mainstream faiths. My own beliefs are rather eclectic. If social forums are any indication, some of the most vocal Christians appear also to be the cruelest. Scary stuff.
`

Supporting traditional marriage does NOT render one a bigot.

Pop quiz. Who built the greatest nation the world has ever known? Answer: white Christians.

I support "traditional marriage" by dint of being married for 21 years. I also support the rights of my neighbours to marry the person they love, whatever their gender.

People who deny this are not "supporting traditional marriage". They are acting as bigots.

Opposing Gay marriage is not "supporting traditional marriage". Its a weasel expression like "pro life".

Stick it up your arse.

Yet you wallow in the most gay-publicly-executing, gay-torturing, gay slaughterhouse on Earth, Islam! It's rare I see someone with soooo little self-awareness, sooo incapable of cognitive dissonance, I'm sure this will go right over your pointed head.
I condemn homophobia wherever I see it. What is complicated about that ?

`
Religious homophobia is driving away young people, but evangelical leaders double down on anti-LGBT bigotry

Last week, the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) put out a new report on religion in America that measured a truly remarkable shift: For the first time, almost certainly in the country’s history, people who identify as white Christians are a minority of Americans. Four out of every five Americans were self-described white Christians in 1976, but now that group only constitutes 43 percent of the U.S. population.

There are a lot of reasons for this shift, study author Robert P. Jones, who heads PRRI and is the author of “The End of White Christian America,” explained to Salon in an interview. To a large extent, Jones said, it’s the trend of “young, white people leaving Christian churches that is driving up the number of religiously unaffiliated Americans.”

This reflects, he added, “a culture clash between particularly conservative white churches and denominations and younger Americans” over issues like science, particularly climate change and evolution, and especially the rights of LGBT people.
- Source
`
Mind you, Christianity still comprises 70% of our total population but that includes blacks, Latinos, Asians and the rest. In what I see as my white generation (I'm 33), many people are still into spirituality but have totally abandon the mainstream faiths. My own beliefs are rather eclectic. If social forums are any indication, some of the most vocal Christians appear also to be the cruelest. Scary stuff.
`

White Christians have always been a minority. Whites only make up about 11% of the world population, and that's being loose with the definition of "white".

`

- Source
`
`
I see intolerance in this post but it isn't from sources you would expect.

`

- Source
`
`

Pop quiz. Who built the greatest nation the world has ever known? Answer: white Christians.

I support "traditional marriage" by dint of being married for 21 years. I also support the rights of my neighbours to marry the person they love, whatever their gender.

People who deny this are not "supporting traditional marriage". They are acting as bigots.

Opposing Gay marriage is not "supporting traditional marriage". Its a weasel expression like "pro life".

Stick it up your arse.

Just because someone doesn't support gay marriage doesn't make them a bigot. Are they denying those people from getting "married"? No. There is no law to prevent gay marriages. It's the queers that discriminate and persecute people that beleive in traditional marriage.

`

- Source
`
`

Stick it up your arse.

Just because someone doesn't support gay marriage doesn't make them a bigot. Are they denying those people from getting "married"? No. There is no law to prevent gay marriages. It's the queers that discriminate and persecute people that beleive in traditional marriage.
Youre either supporting or against. There is no middle ground on certain subjects.

`

- Source
`
`

Stick it up your arse.

"Just because someone doesn't support gay marriage doesn't make them a bigot."

It's when they want this little neurosis codified into law that they become bigots. And the law allowing gay marriage was hard-fought against these very bigots.

`

- Source
`
`

Stick it up your arse.

It's when they want this little neurosis codified into law that they become bigots. And the law allowing gay marriage was hard-fought against these very bigots.

Feel free to post the text of any law that makes gay marriage illegal.
Marriages are performed at churches and the government cannot interfere in them.

All the laws that the media dubbed as "gay marriage bans" were nothing of the sort. All they did was say the state would not recognize such marriages, it never prevented them from happening.

The most intolerant people I came across as a Muslim identified themselves as either conservatives or patriotic. Most open minded are those who identified themselves as atheists and I'm religious myself.

`

- Source
`
`

Stick it up your arse.

Feel free to post the text of any law that makes gay marriage illegal.
Marriages are performed at churches and the government cannot interfere in them.

All the laws that the media dubbed as "gay marriage bans" were nothing of the sort. All they did was say the state would not recognize such marriages, it never prevented them from happening.
There absolutely were gay marriage bans, because gay people could not get marriage licenses in all States until recently. That's a ban. And your demand that I produce laws which say it is illegal is a silly response, as I have already said to you that it is now legal. I also pointed out that this right required a fight. I think I've heard enough from you to know you were on the losing side of that fight. :crybaby:

Marriage, by definition, always has been, and always will be, between a man and a woman.r You cannot be in favor of, and supportive of genuine marriage, and also be in favor of the sick homosexual mockery thereof. To support the latter is to make the statement that even genuine marriage is no more sacred, and of no more value, than the sick homosexual mockery of marriage. That is a direct, hateful attack on the institution of marriage, and there is no spin that you can put on it to make it otherwise.
As ever Bob I struggle to decipher the crap you spout. My happy married life is in no way threatened by the two old fellas across the road wanting to get married. I see it as a positive that two people love each other and want to commit.

Of course you have a backward irrational hatred of Gay people, primarily because you need somebody to hate.

I tell you what might be considered a threat to marriage. Some old knobhead trading in his wife for a younger model every couple of years. That is a sick mockery. And you elected him as President.
I'm somewhat a religious Muslim i don't agree about gay marriage but I have no problem if two gay people decide to tie the knot, is their private life. And I have gay friends that I care for and respect and they know very well what I think. Hate the sin not the sinner.

Marriage, by definition, always has been, and always will be, between a man and a woman.r You cannot be in favor of, and supportive of genuine marriage, and also be in favor of the sick homosexual mockery thereof. To support the latter is to make the statement that even genuine marriage is no more sacred, and of no more value, than the sick homosexual mockery of marriage. That is a direct, hateful attack on the institution of marriage, and there is no spin that you can put on it to make it otherwise.
As ever Bob I struggle to decipher the crap you spout. My happy married life is in no way threatened by the two old fellas across the road wanting to get married. I see it as a positive that two people love each other and want to commit.

Of course you have a backward irrational hatred of Gay people, primarily because you need somebody to hate.

I tell you what might be considered a threat to marriage. Some old knobhead trading in his wife for a younger model every couple of years. That is a sick mockery. And you elected him as President.
I'm somewhat a religious Muslim i don't agree about gay marriage but I have no problem if two gay people decide to tie the knot, is their private life. And I have gay friends that I care for and respect and they know very well what I think. Hate the sin not the sinner.
Or, just admit it is not sin. Even better.

It's and its against human nature. But everyone is free to do whatever they please.

It's and its against human nature. But everyone is free to do whatever they please.
"Against human nature"

Apparently it isn't. Apparently it occurs naturally. Even if you label it a defect, it still occurs naturally. Whether you view it as a crippling disabity or a benign difference, like being 6' 6" tall, is up to you.

That goes right back to your religious beliefs, doesn't it? You can say " 'cause my religion" and 100 other reasons, but they all kind of boil down to that first one, don't they?

"Against human nature"

Apparently it isn't. Apparently it occurs naturally. Even if you label it a defect, it still occurs naturally. Whether you view it as a crippling disabity or a benign difference, like being 6' 6" tall, is up to you.

That goes right back to your religious beliefs, doesn't it? You can say " 'cause my religion" and 100 other reasons, but they all kind of boil down to that first one, don't they?

Religion or not yes it is against human nature. But I 2ont go out of my way to stop people from doing it. Is their choice and their life.

Forum List

Back