Who Gets Food Stamps? White People, Mostly

White (Non-Hispanic) people make up about 62.6% of the population. Blacks make up about 13.2% of the population.

QuickFacts

We all know that a higher percentage of blacks are on welfare. It doesn't change the fact that so many conservatives actually "believe" that all blacks are on welfare while no whites are. As for corporate welfare, that is an entirely different story but one that should not be ignored.

White (Non-Hispanic) people make up about 62.6% of the population. Blacks make up about 13.2% of the population.

QuickFacts

We all know that a higher percentage of blacks are on welfare. It doesn't change the fact that so many conservatives actually "believe" that all blacks are on welfare while no whites are. As for corporate welfare, that is an entirely different story but one that should not be ignored.
No one believes that. What we do know is that depending on what statistics one uses, we find that blacks are between 3,8 and 6 times as likely to be receiving government assistance.It's not a sin. Some need and deserve help but simply paying people not to work and try to better their own situations has not worked. We've spent 22 trillion on the "War on Poverty" and we have half agai as many poor people as we started out with. We have more single parent homes, more crime and double the prison population. EDUCATION and training is the key, but first the poor need to want to help themselves. THAT starts with parents (2) instilling a strong work ethic and a love of knowledge.

WASHINGTON -- Gene Alday, a Republican member of the Mississippi state legislature, apologized last week for telling a reporter that all the African-Americans in his hometown of Walls, Mississippi, are unemployed and on food stamps.

"I come from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks,'" Alday said to a reporter for The Clarion-Ledger, a Mississippi newspaper, earlier this month. "They don't work."

Nationally, most of the people who receive benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program are white. According to 2013 data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers the program, 40.2 percent of SNAP recipients are white, 25.7 percent are black, 10.3 percent are Hispanic, 2.1 percent are Asian and 1.2 percent are Native American.

SNAPCharts1_1.png

True, but African-Americans are only 12.5% of the population, yet they take up 25.7% of the SNAP usage.

They make up a disproportionately high amount of government assistance.

That said... I agree with you that race is irrelevant. (assuming that's your point).

The problem is SNAP itself. The problem is, people who are not working, shouldn't be living off of those who are, and their race is irrelevant.

We need to kick them all off SNAP. Not just one race or another.

True, but African-Americans are only 12.5% of the population, yet they take up 25.7% of the SNAP usage.

Specious logic. It assumes poverty levels are the same for all races -- not at all. Actually the poverty rate among blacks is more than twice that of whites.
That's because most of them don't work, stupid.

That must be it. Couldn't possibly be four hundred years of entrenched slavery, racism, Jim Crow, segregation and the mechanization of agriculture in the South after WWII. Naah.

Hey, I left a link to some demographics. Maybe you can find Fox Noise in there.
Dumbass....
Slavery was abolished 150 years ago, dumbass, and Jim Crow and segregation (created by the Democratic Party) has been gone for 75 years. Must be a conspiracy, eh Mr. Grassy Knoll?

Specious logic. It assumes poverty levels are the same for all races -- not at all. Actually the poverty rate among blacks is more than twice that of whites.

That must be it. Couldn't possibly be four hundred years of entrenched slavery, racism, Jim Crow, segregation and the mechanization of agriculture in the South after WWII. Naah.

Dumbass....
Slavery was abolished 150 years ago, dumbass, and Jim Crow and segregation (created by the Democratic Party) has been gone for 75 years. Must be a conspiracy, eh Mr. Grassy Knoll?

Jim Crow laws were(courtesy of CONSERVATIVE SOUTHERN DEMOCRATS) officially in effect until 1965. You are off by about 25 years.

Carry on.
Jim Crow laws (courtesy of Bob Byrd Democrats you still support) ended in 1965, what's your point? I'm not off by 25 years. You're late by about 50 years. Republicans freed the slaves 150 years ago, Democrats struggled to find ways of keeping them ignorant and unemployed with Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, etc. The same Democrats you hold in high regard. Republicans have fought for equal rights for blacks since slavery. Don't tell me I'm off 25 years, it only shows your utter stupidity. You don't even know your own heritage. The Democratic Party has done a great job of keeping you ignorant and on the plantation. You're still a slave.

Y'know, maybe the OP is right. Percentages of ethnicities on welfare don't matter one whit.

White people are on welfare, and we must help them get off it! More government programs for white people! We need to care more about them! They are victims!

Since blacks and Hispanics get less welfare, they should be helping whites out!

We should have taxation by skin color! Tax blacks and Hispanics more to help distribute their wealth to those poor, welfare-ridden white people!

Thank you Lakhota, I see the light now!

:laugh2:

WASHINGTON -- Gene Alday, a Republican member of the Mississippi state legislature, apologized last week for telling a reporter that all the African-Americans in his hometown of Walls, Mississippi, are unemployed and on food stamps.

"I come from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks,'" Alday said to a reporter for The Clarion-Ledger, a Mississippi newspaper, earlier this month. "They don't work."

Nationally, most of the people who receive benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program are white. According to 2013 data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers the program, 40.2 percent of SNAP recipients are white, 25.7 percent are black, 10.3 percent are Hispanic, 2.1 percent are Asian and 1.2 percent are Native American.

SNAPCharts1_1.png

That said... I agree with you that race is irrelevant. (assuming that's your point).

The problem is SNAP itself. The problem is, people who are not working, shouldn't be living off of those who are, and their race is irrelevant.

Dumbass....

Dumbass....

Jim Crow laws were(courtesy of CONSERVATIVE SOUTHERN DEMOCRATS) officially in effect until 1965. You are off by about 25 years.

Carry on.
Jim Crow laws (courtesy of Bob Byrd Democrats you still support) ended in 1965, what's your point? I'm not off by 25 years. You're late by about 50 years. Republicans freed the slaves 150 years ago, Democrats struggled to find ways of keeping them ignorant and unemployed with Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, etc. The same Democrats you hold in high regard. Republicans have fought for equal rights for blacks since slavery. Don't tell me I'm off 25 years, it only shows your utter stupidity. You don't even know your own heritage. The Democratic Party has done a great job of keeping you ignorant and on the plantation. You're still a slave.

No. I am not a slave you moron. But YOU are ignorant and misinformed.

MY HERITAGE? YOU do not even know American history. Jim Crow laws did NOT end 75 years ago, in 1940 you dunce, and you cannot prove otherwise.

As far as democrats and their role in blocking the progress of civil rights legislation, pick up s history book and educate your stupid self.

It was a combination of SOUTHERN democrats AND republicans who tried in vain to block the progress of any civil rights reform.

Any high school graduate who as taken an American Governnent class knows that.

Instead of spewing made up wing nut talking points go get a GED. Or try using Google. But since you obviously seem to enjoy making a fool out of yourself, you likely have no intention of doing either, so I will spoon feed you just one time.

Jim Crow laws - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Next time you are on your own. Got it?

Last edited:
THAT starts with parents (2) instilling a strong work ethic and a love of knowledge.

Two nights ago in his State of the State address to legislators Gov. Robert Bentley said this:

"Everyone in this room knows Alabama is one of the poorest states in America, where one in four children live in poverty. Nearly one million of our fellow Alabamians are dependent on Food Stamps."

14093997-large.jpg
Gov. Robert Bentley addressing state legislators Tuesday night
The governor went on to call the statistics of poverty sobering. And indeed they are when you begin to look at the numbers county by county. Poverty both connects and disconnects swathes of Alabamians from each other.

Isn't Alabama your home state ernie? Maybe you could get your state doing better before you share all that knowledge with the rest of the USA. You should read the rest of that article talking about education and poverty rates. Not good.

1969 is 46 years ago, shit-für-brains.

What in the wide world of fuck does school busing have to do with the poverty rate?
duuuuuhhh...
I didn't say it wasn't, dipshit. You're the one who brought up 1969.

And you're the one who brought up Affirmative Action. Which actually will be 75 years old in 2044.
In other words we have to sit here and wait 29 years for you to be right.

Whatta you suppose Fox Noise demographics will say by then?
A.A. wasn't the only thing I brought up but that's how you liberals argue, focus in on one thing and ignore the entire comment. Doesn't work any more. BTW, Democrats are the only ones who lynched, passed Jim Crow laws, created the KKK, and are responsible for every discriminatory act against blacks in this country. The rest of us (Republicans and libertarians) went out of our way to elevate blacks, give them opportunities (voluntarily), and accept them as equals. We've been helping blacks become productive citizens since the Civil War. Liberals have been fighting against it. You're stuck on 1969 because that's when you libs decided to buy their votes and keep them on the plantation with welfare checks and legislation that encourages dependency (AA). You really are a fucking moron.

:dig:

You brought up AA and "75 years", and you got busted. That's one.

The thread is about food stamps-- two or three posters used apples-and-oranges demographics (demographics! Dat's wacist!) to make a specious argument about what the numbers mean. You're the only one who remained to dig deeper once apples-and-oranges was pointed out. That's two.

Political parties aren't part of the topic, however lynching was never a political exercise, which we already did in that lynching thread I did recently. You're trying to re-fight that lost battle too, just like the KKK tried to re-fight the Civil War. That's three.

Which, speaking of the KKK, was founded by Confederate soldiers, not politicians, another myth I put to rest and you're trying to dig out of its grave. That's four.

1969 is marked as the first Affirmative Action experiment, the Philadelphia Order, under Richard Nixon. 46 years ago. Not 75. That's simple subtraction: 2015 minus 1969 equals 46.

Duhhhh....
Nothing you said holds water. Screaming and shouting and using a lot of icons doesn't make your bullshit valid. My point was that blacks have had 150 years of freedom and they still can't stand on their own two feet despite the many decades of help from Republicans and libertarians. You choose to deflect by focusing on AA as if it were the only thing I mentioned. Typical liberal tactic when you can't argue with the truth. Blacks, as a percentage of the population, are the largest recipients of food stamps and pay the least in taxes to support the program. You can't face that fact.

Actually that would be whites. See the OP. It's right there. It's where this all started. At that point you and other morons started whining about demographics and how blacks were a higher percentage than the general population, which I immediately pointed out was an apples/oranges comparison. The other morons were at least sentient enough to run away and abandon the point. You weren't. Lucky me.

Morons....

QuickFacts

Fine point. And I don't think it's all that different. Just a different process and called by another name but the end result is the same.

Lol. Yes black citizens were just as "free" as any other citizen during the existence of Jim Crow. After all, slavery ended, 150 years ago, and with no education the newly emancipated slaves put down their bags of cotton, and walked off the plantations and straight into the workforce as "equal" citizens.

SMGDH.

Jim Crow Museum Origins of Jim Crow

Why, I understand that at 8am on the morning after the Civil War they were all at their new jobs in suits, warmly welcomed there by all the people who "owned" them the day before, and there was never anything like a century of resentment that brought stuff like rampant lynchings and other terrorism, segregated businesses, restaurants ghettos, rest rooms, even water fountains, and there's no way vigilante terrorist groups like the KKK and the Knights of the White Camellia formed to keep things the way they were. There's no way we ever had several decades of race riots and no way the KKK re-formed all over again to fuel all that, and there's no way it took two World Wars to force the issue, and no way that was followed by more protest demonstrations and riots in our own lifetime.

Golly gee, none of that ever happened. It just all turned overnight like magic. I believe the Good Fairies sprinkling pixie dust was what puled it off so effortlessly.

/sarc :banghead:

Gotta wonder what kind of mushrooms some people are plunking in their soup.

Why are blacks poor? Because a large percentage of them refuse to work. This wasn't a;ways true, before 1965 Blacks had a strong family tradition and a good work ethic, then along came the great society and democrats over the next 50 years worked hard to destroy the family structure and work ethic, and look they succeeded at their task. The fact remains that more blacks per capita are on assistance then whites by a VERY large percentage. Claiming other wise is a lie. This thread is a lie.

Lol. Yes black citizens were just as "free" as any other citizen during the existence of Jim Crow. After all, slavery ended, 150 years ago, and with no education the newly emancipated slaves put down their bags of cotton, and walked off the plantations and straight into the workforce as "equal" citizens.

SMGDH.

Jim Crow Museum Origins of Jim Crow

Why, I understand that at 8am on the morning after the Civil War they were all at their new jobs in suits, warmly welcomed there by all the people who "owned" them the day before, and there was never anything like a century of resentment that brought stuff like rampant lynchings and other terrorism, segregated businesses, restaurants ghettos, rest rooms, even water fountains, and there's no way vigilante terrorist groups like the KKK and the Knights of the White Camellia formed to keep things the way they were. There's no way we ever had several decades of race riots and no way the KKK re-formed all over again to fuel all that, and there's no way it took two World Wars to force the issue, and no way that was followed by more protest demonstrations and riots in our own lifetime.

Golly gee, none of that ever happened. It just all turned overnight like magic. I believe the Good Fairies sprinkling pixie dust was what puled it off so effortlessly.

/sarc :banghead:

Gotta wonder what kind of mushrooms some people are plunking in their soup.

The.same ones probably eat soup with a fork and put their shoes on backwards.

THAT starts with parents (2) instilling a strong work ethic and a love of knowledge.

Two nights ago in his State of the State address to legislators Gov. Robert Bentley said this:

"Everyone in this room knows Alabama is one of the poorest states in America, where one in four children live in poverty. Nearly one million of our fellow Alabamians are dependent on Food Stamps."

14093997-large.jpg
Gov. Robert Bentley addressing state legislators Tuesday night
The governor went on to call the statistics of poverty sobering. And indeed they are when you begin to look at the numbers county by county. Poverty both connects and disconnects swathes of Alabamians from each other.

Isn't Alabama your home state ernie? Maybe you could get your state doing better before you share all that knowledge with the rest of the USA. You should read the rest of that article talking about education and poverty rates. Not good.
I do live in Alabama. Alabama is making progress but it is an agricultural state and has a high minority population with some counties >90% minority.
I live in Baldwin County which is 9.4% black; not the whitest county but much lower than the state wide average.
Let's compare Baldwin to Greene County at 81.5 % black.
Greene County The per capita income for the county was $13,686.
Baldwin County The per capita income for the county was $20,826.

Baldwin ain't rich, but nothing I can do here at home can teach the folks in Greene strong work ethics and the value of a good education. I can't instill any values in preschool children and I can't urge them to do well in school later.
Fixing poverty is not my fucking job!

When our country is running a deficit, year after year, decade after decade, it automatically follows that most of the United States is spending more than it is collecting.

Democrats: Tax and spend.

Republicans: Borrow and spend.

Why did Bush cut taxes while waging TWO wars? That was unprecedented during wartime in American history.

SNAPCharts1_1.png

Dumbass....

Dumbass....

Carry on.

MY HERITAGE? YOU do not even know American history. Jim Crow laws did NOT end 75 years ago, in 1940 you dunce, and you cannot prove otherwise.

As far as democrats and their role in blocking the progress of civil rights legislation, pick up s history book and educate your stupid self.

It was a combination of SOUTHERN democrats AND republicans who tried in vain to block the progress of any civil rights reform.

Instead of spewing made up wing nut talking points go get a GED. Or try using Google. But since you obviously seem to enjoy making a fool out of yourself, you likely have no intention of doing either, so I will spoon feed you just one time.

Yeah, I misspoke on the 75 years number. BFD. The point I was making is that blacks have had more than enough time to adjust to living as free men and they still can't do it (or aren't interested). They were making progress until the Democratic Party decided to put them all on welfare instead of helping them stand on their own. They willingly went back to the plantation and if you were any kind of a man you would be opposed to being bought off for your vote instead of defending it. Deny it all you want but you are still a slave. You just replaced your chains with a welfare check and food stamps. That's the black man's legacy.

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients

Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to have received food stamps at some point in their lives—a participation gap that echoes the deep partisan divide in the U.S. House of Representatives, which on Thursday produced a farm bill that did not include funding for the food stamp program.

Beyond politics, equally large or larger gaps emerge in the participation rates of many core social and demographic groups. For example, women were about twice as likely as men (23% vs. 12%) to have received food stamps at some point in their lives. Blacks are about twice as likely as whites to have used this benefit during their lives (31% vs. 15%). Among Hispanics, about 22% say they have collected food stamps.

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients Pew Research Center

When our country is running a deficit, year after year, decade after decade, it automatically follows that most of the United States is spending more than it is collecting.

Democrats: Tax and spend.

Republicans: Borrow and spend.

SNAPCharts1_1.png

Dumbass....

Dumbass....

Carry on.

Yeah, I misspoke on the 75 years number. BFD. The point I was making is that blacks have had more than enough time to adjust to living as free men and they still can't do it (or aren't interested). They were making progress until the Democratic Party decided to put them all on welfare instead of helping them stand on their own. They willingly went back to the plantation and if you were any kind of a man you would be opposed to being bought off for your vote instead of defending it. Deny it all you want but you are still a slave. You just replaced your chains with a welfare check and food stamps. That's the black man's legacy.

SNAPCharts1_1.png

Dumbass....

Dumbass....

Carry on.

SNAPCharts1_1.png

Dumbass....

Dumbass....

Carry on.

You don't know me personally, so you have no idea how I voted.

Yes you misspoke, which is typical for you and actually illustrates what kind of person you are, which is Intentionally Ignorant.

As for the typical assumptive application of broad brush "welfare and food stamp, plantation" talking points that ignorant, uneducated, backward bigots like you attribute to the entire black population, all I can do is laugh and be thankful that I am far away from those like you who
represent the underbelly of what still lurks south of the Mason Dixon Line.

I've wasted all of the words today that I intend to on getting facts through your thick head.

You may proceed with fullfilling your role as the jackass of this thread.

Forum List

Back