Who's English is the best here?

I'll nominate xotoxi then, since nobody is supposed to nominate themselves in a pure parliamentarian Robert's Rules Of Order process.

I'll second that nomination, since this is not a pure parliamentarian Robert's Rules Of Order process.
xotoxi is another who has an inflated opinion of his wit and ability.

You two are alike that way.

And kosherglr is just a syphilitic whore.

Except yiostheoy is slightly brighter and funnier.

It looks like nobody knows the plural of "y'all."

I'll give this a few days to see if any true Texan's knows.
"Functionally, the emergence of y'all can be traced to the merging of singular and plural second-person pronouns in Early Modern English.[4] Y'all thus fills in the gap created by the absence of a separate second-person plural pronoun in standard modern English. Y'all is unique in that the stressed form that it contracts (you-all) is converted to an unstressed form.[9]

"The usage of y'all can satisfy several grammatical functions, including an associative plural, a collective pronoun, an institutional pronoun, and an indefinite pronoun.[5][10]

"Y'all serves as a "tone-setting device to express familiarity and solidarity."[11] When used in the singular, y'all can be used to convey a feeling of warmth towards the addressee.[12] In this way, singular usage of y'all differs from French, Russian or German, where plural forms can be used for formal singular instances.[12]"

Even wiki is better versed than y'all.

Y'all - Wikipedia
Dammit koshergrl the ANSWER is IN THERE and you are giving it away !!!

STFU.
You STFU.
koshergrl you practically told them all (the mega-plural of them) what the answer to my riddle is.

Oddly nobody has caught it yet !!!

:D
Goes back to speaking y'all as you or you & your 'fellows'. Their you have it.

I'll second that nomination, since this is not a pure parliamentarian Robert's Rules Of Order process.
Xelor is giving you a hard run for your money though.

He too follows the Oxford comma.
I use the Oxford comma when it adds clarity. When it doesn't, as it does not in simple sequences, I don't use it.
Clarity is the prime test of all writing.

Since reading the writing is offset in space and time and the reader cannot ask the writer for further clarification, clarity is therefore the most crucial test of any word, sentence, punctuation, or rule.

The fact that you know that as proven by your mentioning it makes you one of the best and most knowledgeable writers here.

We try to teach this to kids in college but they don't often get it.

I use punctuation to help convey to the reader EXACTLY the way I want them to read it.

I find posts that do not have punctuation, and do not have capital letters at the beginning of sentences, are very distracting and usually I cannot follow them.
Here are two interesting things about non-capitalization and run-on phrases and sentences without punctuation.

First, if you read the Torah in Hebrew you see that Moses did not bother to invent either capitals nor miniscule and but for a few paragraph (Greek word) breaks here and there his Torah is one long run-on sentence.

Moses writes like a little kid in preschool.

Also Hebrew and Greek (the two oldest languages not counting Chinese) do not have capitals or miniscule.

From this ancient historic and language perspective I have started minimizing all punctuation and instead add-in words such as conjunctions rather than commas or anything else.

I have found this communicates simpler and better.

"Functionally, the emergence of y'all can be traced to the merging of singular and plural second-person pronouns in Early Modern English.[4] Y'all thus fills in the gap created by the absence of a separate second-person plural pronoun in standard modern English. Y'all is unique in that the stressed form that it contracts (you-all) is converted to an unstressed form.[9]

"The usage of y'all can satisfy several grammatical functions, including an associative plural, a collective pronoun, an institutional pronoun, and an indefinite pronoun.[5][10]

"Y'all serves as a "tone-setting device to express familiarity and solidarity."[11] When used in the singular, y'all can be used to convey a feeling of warmth towards the addressee.[12] In this way, singular usage of y'all differs from French, Russian or German, where plural forms can be used for formal singular instances.[12]"

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.

"y'all can satisfy several grammatical functions, including an associative plural"

Is that like fuck can be a noun, verb, adverb, and adjective?

And what about "youz guyz"?

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.

"y'all can satisfy several grammatical functions, including an associative plural"

Is your English not quite what you thought it was?

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.
You STFU.
koshergrl you practically told them all (the mega-plural of them) what the answer to my riddle is.

In Philadelphia you have to say "Yo!" before you start a sentence.

A lawyer from Philadelphia recently taught me that.

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.

"Youz guys" is Bronx or Philly, yes.

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.

Actually both of the X-guys are quite good at American English Composition.

If they had been in my college class that I taught I would have had to give them both A+'s.

Comrade Johnson will need to choose between one of them.

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.
You STFU.

Once again, more bullshit. That comes from watching Stallone movies. Stallone ain't from Philly and his character is entirely made up. Philadelphia is Chris Matthews.

The only poster here who does that is that gay Stallone thing with grease all over his body. Dank Furry's sock, whatzisname.

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.
You STFU.

I always avoided those types that start their sentences with the Yo'. A lot of Bostonians seemed to use that to start their come on too.

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.

"Youz guys" is Bronx or Philly, yes.

Youse is an Irishism. Nothing specific to "Bronx or Philly" --- you'll find it where there was Irish working-class immigration. Sometimes.

Last edited:
From this ancient historic and language perspective I have started minimizing all punctuation and instead add-in words such as conjunctions rather than commas or anything else.

That works sometimes, but it can occasionally start feeling like a run-on sentence.

I since I read, I still read out loud (I'm working on it), sometimes a comma is a chance to take a breath.

***I need to start using the words "Moreover" and "Forthwith" more frequently in my posts.***

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.

I like Fokker better because most website editors capitalize it for you since it is the name of a type of German airplane.

Last edited:

Y'all - Wikipedia

STFU.

Actually both of the X-guys are quite good at American English Composition.

If they had been in my college class that I taught I would have had to give them both A+'s.

Comrade Johnson will need to choose between one of them.

Like most college professionals, you reward mediocrity. Seriously.

That works sometimes, but it can occasionally start feeling like a run-on sentence.

I since I read, I still read out loud (I'm working on it), sometimes a comma is a chance to take a breath.

***I need to start using the words "Moreover" and "Forthwith" more frequently in my posts.***

To wit:

That works sometimes but it can occasionally start feeling like a run-on sentence and I since I read I still read out loud (I'm working on it) and sometimes a comma is a chance to take a breath.

Last edited:
koshergrl my dear friend, when I taught college I was a grad student and for my scholarship the college asked me to teach to take some of the teaching burden off the regular faculty of which there was not enough of.

So during my first week of class I tried to flunk out all the losers with pre-tests and pop quizzes and writing samples until about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the students quit.

That left me with only A and B students who were eager to learn.

Definitely not mediocrity.

koshergrl my dear friend, when I taught college I was a grad student and for my scholarship the college asked me to teach to take some off the teaching burden of the regular faculty of which there was not enough of.

So during my first week of class I tried to flunk out all the losers with pre-tests and pop quizzes and writing samples until about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the students quit.

It would appear Chips is desperately trying to set up the impression that he "taught" something somewhere. :rofl:

Now that's funny.

Y'all - Wikipedia

All Y'all are getin this wrong. The plural of y'all is all y'all, y'all.

koshergrl my dear friend, when I taught college I was a grad student and for my scholarship the college asked me to teach to take some off the teaching burden of the regular faculty of which there was not enough of.

It would appear Chips is desperately trying to set up the impression that he "taught" something somewhere. :rofl:

Now that's funny.
In reeling back through my memory bank I don't recall yiostheoy trying to be the grammar nazi. In that you could possibly learn some-things.

Forum List

Back