Why anti gun people are so angry.....

What is your opinion on background checks? For or against and why or why not? :D

On Background checks....I would be fine with what we have now...but they need to clean it up so that it doesn't mess up so much.....I do this mainly to appease the anti gunners who want it even though it only hassles law abiding gun owners...

As to adding mental illness to the background check......I don't trust the anti gunners when they push this...they want to use it to classify any interaction with a mental health professional as a reason to pull someones gun rights...as in the case of insomnia.....

Also, they need to be instantaneous, and no permanent record...just a pass fail...otherwise you are giving the anti gunners a registry they can use later...to either ban guns or simply to publish who owns guns in the local paper...which they did after Sandy Hook....

Does that help...?

Sure does. Thanks for your input. :)

I would agree with the mental illness classification, because a person can be situationally depressed and seek mental health counseling for that. That, I don't think, should disqualify that person from owning a gun for self defense. Situational depression is not a "lasting" type of mental problem but only temporary. Also, that could affect those who suffer from ADD or other such mild disorders which they can outgrow and/or those which can be controlled with medication.

Now, what do you mean by cleaning it up?

This is from John Lott on the false positives that hassle law abiding gun owners....I posted it earlier...

CPRC in the Associated Press on background checks - Crime Prevention Research Center

But saying that half the denials are later overturned after appeal gives a misleading impression of the number of mistakes that were made by the NICS system. Take the numbers for 2009. There were 71,010 initial denials. Of those, only 4,681, or 6.6 percent, were referred to the BATF field offices for further investigation. As a report on these denials by the U.S. Department of Justice indicates, “The remaining denials (66,329 – 93%) did not meet referral guidelines or were overturned after review by Brady Operations or after the FBI received additional information.” The last two of these three categories are clearly false positives. The first might involve false positives, but it is possible that the disqualifying offenses are too old (though there are some prosecutions that involve misdemeanor violations that are four decades old so that isn’t too obvious). To put it differently, the initial review didn’t find that these individuals had a record that prevented them from buying a gun. (Numbers for 2010 are available here.)

Still that isn’t the end of the story. Of these 4,681 referrals, over 51 percent, or 2,390 cases, involve “delayed denials,” cases where a check hasn’t even been completed. Of the rest, 2,291 covered cases where initial reviews indicated that the person should have been denied buying a gun. But the government admits that upon further review another 572 of these referrals were found “not [to be] a prohibited person,” leaving about 4,154 cases. That implies an initial false positive rate of roughly 94.2%. And it still doesn’t mean that the government hasn’t made a mistake on the remaining cases. In some cases for example, a person’s criminal record was supposed to be expunged, and it had not been.

Well how can they get away with denying a person if the individuals did not have a record which would make it illegal for them to possess a gun? Mistakes?

What is "referral guidelines?"
That one is declined on a NICS background check doesn't mean he isn't allowed to purchase and take possession of his firearm if he's not a prohibited person:

“A Delayed message from the NICS indicates the subject of a NICS background check has been matched with a similar name and similar descriptive information associated with a record containing a potential state or federal firearm prohibition. The NICS Section must obtain additional information before making a final determination of a Proceed or Denied for the firearm transfer. The NICS Section is afforded three business days in which to conduct this research. If the NICS Section is unable to provide either a Proceed or Denied response to the Federal Firearms Licensee within three business days, the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 does not prohibit the Federal Firearms Licensee, or FFL, from transferring the firearm; however, the FFL is not required to do so.”

FBI Reasons NICS Background Checks are Denied or Delayed

The burden of proof rests with the government, not the person buying the gun; if the government is not able to establish that the buyer is a prohibited person, the buyer is allowed to take possession of his firearm.

Don't you think that is infringing upon the right? The government is infringing on people's right, and you applaud this?

Here you go....an actual account of the guy at the giffords shooting....

The Tucson Atrocity Joe Zamudio s Story American Handgunner

QUOTE:

We do know one of the heroic first responders was indeed armed: Joe Zamudio, age 24. The following is drawn from his account of the incident from his perspective, shared with the rest of the class when he subsequently attended a Massad Ayoob Group program in nearby Sierra Vista, hosted by decorated combat vet Dan Southard of Gator Farm Tactical. This, lightly edited for space considerations, is his story.

Zamudio’s Experience

“It was Saturday,” Joe began. “I didn’t have to work, so I went to have breakfast with my mom. On the way back, I went to Walgreen’s. Walking up to the door, I saw a crowd of people (at the rally), and went in to get cigarettes before seeing what was going on. As I was asking the lady behind the counter for a pack of Camels, I heard one shot, then a chain of shots real fast, before she could hand me the cigarettes. It sounded like fireworks. I just responded and ran out door. As I cleared the door, a man in front of me who had been wounded in the leg said, ‘Shooter! Shooter! Get down!’”

Zamudio had long kept a gun in his car. The previous August, when buying a Ruger P95 9mm, he had learned from the gun dealer that Arizona had legalized permit-less carry, and from that day on had worn the Ruger constantly. Left-handed, he was carrying it that day, butt forward in the inside right breast pocket of his jacket, fully loaded with 16 rounds.

Zamudio continued, “I reached into my pocket, put my hand on my pistol, took the safety off, and ran down the sidewalk (toward the shooting scene). That’s when I saw a group of people wrestling with (Loughner). The first thing I focused on was the man closest to me. His back was to me. He raised up with a Glock in his hand, open, magazine sticking out. In that second I decided that because the gun was open, I didn’t have to shoot him. I immediately grabbed him by the wrist, turned the gun in toward him, told him to drop the weapon. He did.

“Even as he was dropping the gun, everyone yelled, ‘It’s not him, it’s not him!’ I said, ‘Put it down.’ I was hearing people yell, ‘I’ll kill you, you motherf***er, I’ll kill you.’ When the man dropped the gun I said, ‘Put your foot on it, make us all feel safe,’ and he did. This turned out to be Roger Sulzgeber, one of my personal heroes. He and Bill Badger had grabbed Loughner and pulled him to the ground. Apparently the gun had jammed, either misfired or didn’t feed, and Loughner was trying to reload again when they grabbed him. There was an empty mag on ground, a full one that mis-fed in the gun, and another full magazine Patricia Maisch got away from him.”

Killer Restrained

“The world went into slow motion,” Joe continued. “I assessed the situation. Bill had Loughner by the neck on the ground. Roger stood on the gun and leaned over and grabbed Loughner’s shoulder, holding him down. Patricia had been on the ground when she grabbed the loaded magazine away from him, and she shimmied over his legs. Loughner began to struggle, and Patricia asked me to take her place. I got down onto the back of his knee and put a hand on his hip. A fourth gentleman put a foot on his back, he wasn’t going anywhere. I tried to call 911 but couldn’t get through, tried three times. The police showed up in about four minutes. All Loughner ever said during that time was, ‘Ow. You’re breaking my arm.’”

Joe adds, “Bill Badger was bleeding profusely from his head. He told me as Loughner was shooting everyone, (Loughner approached him and) pointed the gun at Bill’s head. Bill reflexively turned his head away, and when Loughner fired, the bullet took skin off down to the skull but did no real damage. Bill went down. When the gun stopped firing, Bill raised back up and Loughner was right in front of him. That was when the wrestling started. Bill Badger was bleeding, the first real blood I saw, and it hit me that this had really happened, all these people got shot. The enormity of it set in.

So....an actual, detailed account of this man's actions....hmmmmmm...different from the author of that articles report......

Okay, this is an important part of the story which the anti gunner overlooked...or didn't know about because he used an anti gunner journalist as his source...

I tried to call 911 but couldn’t get through, tried three times. The police showed up in about four minutes.

4 minutes after they had subdued this guy the police show up....after he killed those people....

And the anti gunners only want cops to have guns......

They are so lucky he shot from inside a crowd and allowed people to be close to him when he started shooting....

And another point for you brain and for you bfgrn...the only reason they were able to wrestle him....just plain, stupid luck........otherwise, he would have reloaded and kept shooting...he missed this guy....

Joe adds, “Bill Badger was bleeding profusely from his head. He told me as Loughner was shooting everyone, (Loughner approached him and) pointed the gun at Bill’s head. Bill reflexively turned his head away, and when Loughner fired, the bullet took skin off down to the skull but did no real damage. Bill went down. When the gun stopped firing, Bill raised back up and Loughner was right in front of him. That was when the wrestling started.

Not rushing the guy during a magazine change brain, and Bfgrn...he thought the guy was dead....after he shot him...and let Bill Badger get behind him.......you are wrong again brain....

You don't even know what YOU are posting.

Apparently the gun had jammed, either misfired or didn’t feed, and Loughner was trying to reload again when they grabbed him

Where is YOUR link?

QUOTE:

We do know one of the heroic first responders was indeed armed: Joe Zamudio, age 24. The following is drawn from his account of the incident from his perspective, shared with the rest of the class when he subsequently attended a Massad Ayoob Group program in nearby Sierra Vista, hosted by decorated combat vet Dan Southard of Gator Farm Tactical. This, lightly edited for space considerations, is his story.

Zamudio’s Experience

“It was Saturday,” Joe began. “I didn’t have to work, so I went to have breakfast with my mom. On the way back, I went to Walgreen’s. Walking up to the door, I saw a crowd of people (at the rally), and went in to get cigarettes before seeing what was going on. As I was asking the lady behind the counter for a pack of Camels, I heard one shot, then a chain of shots real fast, before she could hand me the cigarettes. It sounded like fireworks. I just responded and ran out door. As I cleared the door, a man in front of me who had been wounded in the leg said, ‘Shooter! Shooter! Get down!’”

Zamudio had long kept a gun in his car. The previous August, when buying a Ruger P95 9mm, he had learned from the gun dealer that Arizona had legalized permit-less carry, and from that day on had worn the Ruger constantly. Left-handed, he was carrying it that day, butt forward in the inside right breast pocket of his jacket, fully loaded with 16 rounds.

Zamudio continued, “I reached into my pocket, put my hand on my pistol, took the safety off, and ran down the sidewalk (toward the shooting scene). That’s when I saw a group of people wrestling with (Loughner). The first thing I focused on was the man closest to me. His back was to me. He raised up with a Glock in his hand, open, magazine sticking out. In that second I decided that because the gun was open, I didn’t have to shoot him. I immediately grabbed him by the wrist, turned the gun in toward him, told him to drop the weapon. He did.

“Even as he was dropping the gun, everyone yelled, ‘It’s not him, it’s not him!’ I said, ‘Put it down.’ I was hearing people yell, ‘I’ll kill you, you motherf***er, I’ll kill you.’ When the man dropped the gun I said, ‘Put your foot on it, make us all feel safe,’ and he did. This turned out to be Roger Sulzgeber, one of my personal heroes. He and Bill Badger had grabbed Loughner and pulled him to the ground. Apparently the gun had jammed, either misfired or didn’t feed, and Loughner was trying to reload again when they grabbed him. There was an empty mag on ground, a full one that mis-fed in the gun, and another full magazine Patricia Maisch got away from him.”

Killer Restrained

“The world went into slow motion,” Joe continued. “I assessed the situation. Bill had Loughner by the neck on the ground. Roger stood on the gun and leaned over and grabbed Loughner’s shoulder, holding him down. Patricia had been on the ground when she grabbed the loaded magazine away from him, and she shimmied over his legs. Loughner began to struggle, and Patricia asked me to take her place. I got down onto the back of his knee and put a hand on his hip. A fourth gentleman put a foot on his back, he wasn’t going anywhere. I tried to call 911 but couldn’t get through, tried three times. The police showed up in about four minutes. All Loughner ever said during that time was, ‘Ow. You’re breaking my arm.’”

Joe adds, “Bill Badger was bleeding profusely from his head. He told me as Loughner was shooting everyone, (Loughner approached him and) pointed the gun at Bill’s head. Bill reflexively turned his head away, and when Loughner fired, the bullet took skin off down to the skull but did no real damage. Bill went down. When the gun stopped firing, Bill raised back up and Loughner was right in front of him. That was when the wrestling started. Bill Badger was bleeding, the first real blood I saw, and it hit me that this had really happened, all these people got shot. The enormity of it set in.

So....an actual, detailed account of this man's actions....hmmmmmm...different from the author of that articles report......

Okay, this is an important part of the story which the anti gunner overlooked...or didn't know about because he used an anti gunner journalist as his source...

I tried to call 911 but couldn’t get through, tried three times. The police showed up in about four minutes.

4 minutes after they had subdued this guy the police show up....after he killed those people....

They are so lucky he shot from inside a crowd and allowed people to be close to him when he started shooting....

And another point for you brain and for you bfgrn...the only reason they were able to wrestle him....just plain, stupid luck........otherwise, he would have reloaded and kept shooting...he missed this guy....

Joe adds, “Bill Badger was bleeding profusely from his head. He told me as Loughner was shooting everyone, (Loughner approached him and) pointed the gun at Bill’s head. Bill reflexively turned his head away, and when Loughner fired, the bullet took skin off down to the skull but did no real damage. Bill went down. When the gun stopped firing, Bill raised back up and Loughner was right in front of him. That was when the wrestling started.

Not rushing the guy during a magazine change brain, and Bfgrn...he thought the guy was dead....after he shot him...and let Bill Badger get behind him.......you are wrong again brain....

Apparently the gun had jammed, either misfired or didn’t feed, and Loughner was trying to reload again when they grabbed him

Where is YOUR link?

I posted the actual, full account of the guy you cited, and he says Bill Badger was shot in the head and fell....it was a glancing blow and he didn't die and wasn't incapacitated, and the shooter moved past him putting his back to Bill Badger.....then Bill Badger attacked him from behind...since he was now close to the shooter and behind him.....

Plain dumb luck......he didn't rush the guy initially as you guys make out....he was shot and assumed dead....

The old woman........she didn't bravely charge the shooter and wrestle the magazine away from him as he reloaded....she laid down hoping to be ignored by the shooter...and when Bill Badger knocked the guy to the ground...he fell right in front of her....and as he was trying to put in a new magazine from the ground as he was wrestling with 2 guys...then she grabbed his magazine....

Again...plain dumb luck on her part....

Really.....do you comprehend what you read....?

You would have to read his actual research on the subject, it probably goes into more detail....

As to mental health checks...I don't know how it could be implemented and not give the anti gunners a new weapon against gun owners.......

Would you classify me as an ant gunner? I ask, because I own 5 guns (all but the first bought after background checks), but I am a firm believer in background checks for everybody...including my X-son-in-law, who can best be described as "unstable", who bought a sniper rifle at a gun show which has a range so long that there is not a single public gun range in his state that is long enough for him to sight it in for it's intended range. His background check may, or may not reveal that he has been to see a psychiatrist for suicidal tendencies for two series of sessions in the last 8 years.

As an actual gun grabber, no. But I don't think you have thought through the implications of background checks.....first, that they don't stop criminals or mass shooters from getting guns....and second, how they can be used to deny guns to law abiding citizens.....and three, that anti gunners actually do want to ban guns any way they can.....

other than that you seem like a swell person......

What is your opinion on background checks? For or against and why or why not? :D

On Background checks....I would be fine with what we have now...but they need to clean it up so that it doesn't mess up so much.....I do this mainly to appease the anti gunners who want it even though it only hassles law abiding gun owners...

As to adding mental illness to the background check......I don't trust the anti gunners when they push this...they want to use it to classify any interaction with a mental health professional as a reason to pull someones gun rights...as in the case of insomnia.....

Also, they need to be instantaneous, and no permanent record...just a pass fail...otherwise you are giving the anti gunners a registry they can use later...to either ban guns or simply to publish who owns guns in the local paper...which they did after Sandy Hook....

Does that help...?

Sure does. Thanks for your input. :)

I would agree with the mental illness classification, because a person can be situationally depressed and seek mental health counseling for that. That, I don't think, should disqualify that person from owning a gun for self defense. Situational depression is not a "lasting" type of mental problem but only temporary. Also, that could affect those who suffer from ADD or other such mild disorders which they can outgrow and/or those which can be controlled with medication.

Now, what do you mean by cleaning it up?

This is from John Lott on the false positives that hassle law abiding gun owners....I posted it earlier...

CPRC in the Associated Press on background checks - Crime Prevention Research Center

But saying that half the denials are later overturned after appeal gives a misleading impression of the number of mistakes that were made by the NICS system. Take the numbers for 2009. There were 71,010 initial denials. Of those, only 4,681, or 6.6 percent, were referred to the BATF field offices for further investigation. As a report on these denials by the U.S. Department of Justice indicates, “The remaining denials (66,329 – 93%) did not meet referral guidelines or were overturned after review by Brady Operations or after the FBI received additional information.” The last two of these three categories are clearly false positives. The first might involve false positives, but it is possible that the disqualifying offenses are too old (though there are some prosecutions that involve misdemeanor violations that are four decades old so that isn’t too obvious). To put it differently, the initial review didn’t find that these individuals had a record that prevented them from buying a gun. (Numbers for 2010 are available here.)

Still that isn’t the end of the story. Of these 4,681 referrals, over 51 percent, or 2,390 cases, involve “delayed denials,” cases where a check hasn’t even been completed. Of the rest, 2,291 covered cases where initial reviews indicated that the person should have been denied buying a gun. But the government admits that upon further review another 572 of these referrals were found “not [to be] a prohibited person,” leaving about 4,154 cases. That implies an initial false positive rate of roughly 94.2%. And it still doesn’t mean that the government hasn’t made a mistake on the remaining cases. In some cases for example, a person’s criminal record was supposed to be expunged, and it had not been.

Well how can they get away with denying a person if the individuals did not have a record which would make it illegal for them to possess a gun? Mistakes?

What is "referral guidelines?"
That one is declined on a NICS background check doesn't mean he isn't allowed to purchase and take possession of his firearm if he's not a prohibited person:

“A Delayed message from the NICS indicates the subject of a NICS background check has been matched with a similar name and similar descriptive information associated with a record containing a potential state or federal firearm prohibition. The NICS Section must obtain additional information before making a final determination of a Proceed or Denied for the firearm transfer. The NICS Section is afforded three business days in which to conduct this research. If the NICS Section is unable to provide either a Proceed or Denied response to the Federal Firearms Licensee within three business days, the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 does not prohibit the Federal Firearms Licensee, or FFL, from transferring the firearm; however, the FFL is not required to do so.”

FBI Reasons NICS Background Checks are Denied or Delayed

The burden of proof rests with the government, not the person buying the gun; if the government is not able to establish that the buyer is a prohibited person, the buyer is allowed to take possession of his firearm.

After a review....and how long does that take?

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Here you go.....he shot the guy and missed, just grazing him.....and advanced as he did it putting him in range of the guy he just shot....what part of his shooting the guy don't you get...it was dumb luck that saved Bill Badger and put the guy in reach....

oe adds, “Bill Badger was bleeding profusely from his head. He told me as Loughner was shooting everyone, (Loughner approached him and) pointed the gun at Bill’s head. Bill reflexively turned his head away, and when Loughner fired, the bullet took skin off down to the skull but did no real damage. Bill went down. When the gun stopped firing, Bill raised back up and Loughner was right in front of him. That was when the wrestling started. Bill Badger was bleeding, the first real blood I saw, and it hit me that this had really happened, all these people got shot. The enormity of it set in.

So you can get past your poor comprehension skills....here is the important part...

(Loughner approached him and) pointed the gun at Bill’s head. Bill reflexively turned his head away, and when Loughner fired,

You would have to read his actual research on the subject, it probably goes into more detail....

As to mental health checks...I don't know how it could be implemented and not give the anti gunners a new weapon against gun owners.......

Would you classify me as an ant gunner? I ask, because I own 5 guns (all but the first bought after background checks), but I am a firm believer in background checks for everybody...including my X-son-in-law, who can best be described as "unstable", who bought a sniper rifle at a gun show which has a range so long that there is not a single public gun range in his state that is long enough for him to sight it in for it's intended range. His background check may, or may not reveal that he has been to see a psychiatrist for suicidal tendencies for two series of sessions in the last 8 years.
And the vast majority of gun owners agree with you:
Fallacy: appeal to popularity.

Background checks create an undue burden on the exercise of the right to arms. -- the state may not presume all who seek to buy a gun are 'guilty' of dong so illegally and compel them to 'prove' that they are innocent by undergoing a background check; to presume a citizen 'might' misuse a civil liberty does not warrant the state's restriction of that right.

Again....excellent point....

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Where is YOUR link?

I posted the actual, full account of the guy you cited, and he says Bill Badger was shot in the head and fell....it was a glancing blow and he didn't die and wasn't incapacitated, and the shooter moved past him putting his back to Bill Badger.....then Bill Badger attacked him from behind...since he was now close to the shooter and behind him.....

Plain dumb luck......he didn't rush the guy initially as you guys make out....he was shot and assumed dead....

The old woman........she didn't bravely charge the shooter and wrestle the magazine away from him as he reloaded....she laid down hoping to be ignored by the shooter...and when Bill Badger knocked the guy to the ground...he fell right in front of her....and as he was trying to put in a new magazine from the ground as he was wrestling with 2 guys...then she grabbed his magazine....

Again...plain dumb luck on her part....

Really.....do you comprehend what you read....?

I think you quoted me accidentally. :) You probably meant to quote Bfgrn.

And the vast majority of gun owners agree with you:
Fallacy: appeal to popularity.

Background checks create an undue burden on the exercise of the right to arms. -- the state may not presume all who seek to buy a gun are 'guilty' of dong so illegally and compel them to 'prove' that they are innocent by undergoing a background check; to presume a citizen 'might' misuse a civil liberty does not warrant the state's restriction of that right.

Even far right Justice Scalia and Ronald Reagan disagree...

2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56.

pClybvB.jpg

1UaDfpY.jpg

62249i163347D0EE68C05E

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Where is YOUR link?

The link? I posted from The Tucson Atrocity Joe Zamudio s Story American Handgunner

2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56

That does not say what you think it says and that has been borne out in lower court inspection. The above must be read in conjunction with footnote 26.

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Where is YOUR link?

The link? I posted from The Tucson Atrocity Joe Zamudio s Story American Handgunner

And I quoted his full comments.....where he said Bill Badger had been shot by the shooter but had turned his head and was just grazed....but he fell to the ground and the shooter kept advancing....plain, dumb luck that the shooter missed and then got too close, had he kept his distance he would have kept shooting....

Counting on people being able to stop an assailant between reloads is a cynical ploy, and typical of the Left.

Really?

Woman Wrestled Fresh Ammo Clip From Tucson Shooter as He Tried to Reload

Patricia Maisch looks like a grandmother, but she is being hailed as a hero today for helping to stop alleged Tucson shooter Jared Loughner by wrestling away a fresh magazine of bullets as he tried to reload.

Maisch, 61, effectively disarmed the shooter as several men pounced on him and threw him to ground. As they struggled to hold him down, Maisch joined the scrum on the ground, clinging to the gunman's ankles.

Maisch and her fellow heroes -- identified as Bill Badger, Roger Sulzgeber and Joseph Zamudio -- stopped the carnage after 20 people were shot, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

ABC News

And here is the rest of the story the gun clingers don't want you to know...

Armed Giffords hero nearly shot wrong man
Joe Zamudio rushed to the scene and saw a man with a gun — but he wasn't the shooter

Does the Tucson massacre justify tighter gun control? Don't be silly. Second-Amendment advocates never look at mass shootings that way. For every nut job wreaking mayhem with a semiautomatic weapon, there's a citizen with a firearm who could have stopped him.

Now comes the tragedy in Tucson. And what do gun advocates propose? More guns. Arizona already lets people carry concealed weapons without requiring permits.

The new poster boy for this agenda is Joe Zamudio, a hero in the Tucson incident. Zamudio was in a nearby drug store when the shooting began, and he was armed. He ran to the scene and helped subdue the killer. Television interviewers are celebrating his courage, and pro-gun blogs are touting his equipment. "Bystander Says Carrying Gun Prompted Him to Help," says the headline in the Wall Street Journal.

But before we embrace Zamudio's brave intervention as proof of the value of being armed, let's hear the whole story. "I came out of that store, I clicked the safety off, and I was ready," he explained on Fox and Friends. "I had my hand on my gun. I had it in my jacket pocket here. And I came around the corner like this." Zamudio demonstrated how his shooting hand was wrapped around the weapon, poised to draw and fire. As he rounded the corner, he saw a man holding a gun. "And that's who I at first thought was the shooter," Zamudio recalled. "I told him to 'Drop it, drop it!'"

But the man with the gun wasn't the shooter. He had wrested the gun away from the shooter. "Had you shot that guy, it would have been a big, fat mess," the interviewer pointed out.

Zamudio agreed:

"I was very lucky. Honestly, it was a matter of seconds. Two, maybe three seconds between when I came through the doorway and when I was laying on top of [the real shooter], holding him down. So, I mean, in that short amount of time I made a lot of really big decisions really fast. … I was really lucky."

The Arizona Daily Star, based on its interview with Zamudio, adds two details to the story. First, upon seeing the man with the gun, Zamudio "grabbed his arm and shoved him into a wall" before realizing he wasn't the shooter. And second, one reason why Zamudio didn't pull out his own weapon was that "he didn't want to be confused as a second gunman."

This is a much more dangerous picture than has generally been reported. Zamudio had released his safety and was poised to fire when he saw what he thought was the killer still holding his weapon. Zamudio had a split second to decide whether to shoot. He was sufficiently convinced of the killer's identity to shove the man into a wall. But Zamudio didn't use his gun. That's how close he came to killing an innocent man. He was, as he acknowledges, "very lucky."

That's what happens when you run with a firearm to a scene of bloody havoc. In the chaos and pressure of the moment, you can shoot the wrong person. Or, by drawing your weapon, you can become the wrong person—a hero mistaken for a second gunman by another would-be hero with a gun. Bang, you're dead. Or worse, bang bang bang bang bang: a firefight among several armed, confused, and innocent people in a crowd. It happens even among trained soldiers. Among civilians, the risk is that much greater.

We're enormously lucky that Zamudio, without formal training, made the right split-second decisions. We can't count on that the next time some nut job starts shooting. I hope Arizona does train lawmakers and their aides in the proper use of firearms. I hope they remember this training if they bring guns to constituent meetings. But mostly, I hope they don't bring them.

NBC News

Your original quote came from ABC news....my source was Massad Ayoob who actually talked to the man....

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Where is YOUR link?

And I quoted his full comments.....where he said Bill Badger had been shot by the shooter but had turned his head and was just grazed....but he fell to the ground and the shooter kept advancing....plain, dumb luck that the shooter missed and then got too close, had he kept his distance he would have kept shooting....

You know, 2Aguy? A better question for your thread would be "Why are anti-gunners SO dishonest?" :wink_2:

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Where is YOUR link?

No...you posted the story from ABC news......and you didn't quote the important part......

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Where is YOUR link?

You know, 2Aguy? A better question for your thread would be "Why are anti-gunners SO dishonest?" :wink_2:

That, sadly, is easy....

1) The Constitution, specifically, the Bill of Rights keeps them from out right banning guns....makes them angry

2) the real world statistics....the fact that more people are actually buying guns and are now carrying them...makes them angry

3) That even in the face of Sandy Hook...they couldn't get AR-15s banned....makes them angry..

4) That in the face of more people owning guns...the gun murder rate is going down, and the gun accident rate is going down...that makes them angry..

Soooooo....in order to deal with the truth...which is not on their side....and in order to deal with reality...which is not on their side...

All they have left is to make up statistics and lie.....to try to get done that which reality prevents them from doing...

"4) That in the face of more people owning guns...the gun murder rate is going down, and the gun accident rate is going down...that makes them angry.."

How does it feel to live in an alternative universe, where black is white, and tragedy is happiness?

2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56

That does not say what you think it says and that has been borne out in lower court inspection. The above must be read in conjunction with footnote 26.

Blah, blah is your reply?

Footnote 26

We identify these presumptively lawful regulatory measures only as examples; our list does not purport to be exhaustive.

Do you need an adult to explain this to you???

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Where is YOUR link?

From YOUR link...(NO ONE would possibly call this site unbiased, or "anti-gun")

S5mD3Pd.png

The takedown of the mass murderer was a study in citizens’ courage. As Loughner attempted to reload after emptying his pistol, one of the intended victims in the crowd reportedly smashed him in the back of the head with a folding metal chair. Retired Colonel Bill Badger, age 74, tackled the killer and brought him to the ground. Already down on the sidewalk herself, Patricia Maisch, 61, ripped a fresh magazine out of Loughner’s hand. Roger Sulzgeber separated him from his gun, and he and Joseph Zamudio held him down, immobile, until the first responding Tucson PD officer arrived at the scene.

QUOTE:

Zamudio’s Experience

Killer Restrained

Where is YOUR link?

Here is a REAL question...you and 2Aguy keep using false characterizations like "anti-gunner"

The TRUTH is you NEED to portray reasonable people as extreme to try to defend YOUR extremism. No one has advocated taking away all guns, or even most guns.

The only extremists on this thread are on the right.... the absolutist mentality just doesn't pass for reasonable or intelligent.

I SUPPORT the right of citizens to bear arms to protect themselves, their family and their property. But it is NOT an absolute right. It does not mean you can possess any weapon you desire, like a weapon that belongs only on a battlefield. And criminals should not have that right afforded to them by laws with loopholes.

Forum List

Back