Why are people against legalizing marijuana?

sugar
fatty foods
fried fatty foods
skiing
mountain climbing
scuba diving
bungy jumping
driving in a car
Which of these activities impairs your ability to function?

to function?

not pot.

I function fine after smoking pot.

I thought the point was NOT about "ability to function" but causing health problems....

too much sugar and fatty foods will cause health problems

and, eventually, death.

But if you want to talk about "ability to function"

then why not outlaw alcohol, since "ability to function" after drinking is MUCH worse than pot.
Go ahead. I keep waiting for the household alkie to break a leg so I can ignore her.

Plenty of people have a drink and do not intend to get high. Everyone who uses drugs intends to get high. Some use drugs to get others high and take advantage of them.

You're right, some people use drugs to get others high to take advantage of them. It's called "being roofied", and that is the method that Bill Cosby used.

However, marijuana cannot be used like that. While it is an intoxicant, and you will feel a bit happier, and you might see brighter colors, you WON'T see anything that isn't there, nor will your inhibitions drop. If you wouldn't do it sober, chances of you being talked into it while stoned on marijuana are zero.

Interestingly enough, the opposite is true of alcohol. The more you drink, the lower your inhibitions go.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
have idiotic conversations
restore antique furniture
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
play 8 out of 10 cats does countdown
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner

You forgot to list work. Many in high level positions and many different occupations.

to function?

not pot.

I thought the point was NOT about "ability to function" but causing health problems....

and, eventually, death.

then why not outlaw alcohol, since "ability to function" after drinking is MUCH worse than pot.
Go ahead. I keep waiting for the household alkie to break a leg so I can ignore her.

Plenty of people have a drink and do not intend to get high. Everyone who uses drugs intends to get high. Some use drugs to get others high and take advantage of them.

You're right, some people use drugs to get others high to take advantage of them. It's called "being roofied", and that is the method that Bill Cosby used.

However, marijuana cannot be used like that. While it is an intoxicant, and you will feel a bit happier, and you might see brighter colors, you WON'T see anything that isn't there, nor will your inhibitions drop. If you wouldn't do it sober, chances of you being talked into it while stoned on marijuana are zero.

Interestingly enough, the opposite is true of alcohol. The more you drink, the lower your inhibitions go.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner

You forgot to list work. Many in high level positions and many different occupations.

i was making my personal list.

I rarely ever smoke pot if I am going to work.

I know lots of guys who do but I like to save my pot for relaxation.

Do you know me as much as you think you do? What's my birthday, favorite color, how many times have I been married? You don't know me at all. You just imagine that you do.
Just like you imagine the lives of someone who uses pot comparing them to heroin or meth junkies?
You have been painting a pretty picture with that broadbrush about folks not having a work ethic and being lazy or ignorant.
This was simple a marijuana legalization thread. The only folks talking about hard drugs are the self righteous nannies using a false comparison.
I build custom homes for wealthy folks, brutal physically and mentally demanding work. In the so called haze of my moderate use put together complex structures like this.
View attachment 305544 View attachment 305545 View attachment 305546
View attachment 305547
I work at heights and roof pitches that make most folks cringe. I live a very middle class life with a stellar credit rating and some expensive toys in my second garage.
I have news for you. We have found out many of our wealthy clients regardless of political views occasionally use pot.

You don't know me.

Again I will point out that you will never control me either.

That's awesome...good for you, you've done very well managing a very bad habit...You are not the norm. Keep smoking it on the down-low ILLEGALLY like you always have and like many of us did as stupid children...don't tell 13 year olds how cool smoking weed is and don't fight to legalize it.

sugar
fatty foods
fried fatty foods
skiing
mountain climbing
scuba diving
bungy jumping
driving in a car

to function?

not pot.

and, eventually, death.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner
There are many people that can use drugs a lot harder than marijuana and still function well in society. However, most can not. Eventually, it catches up with them. Although I agree that marijuana is not physically addictive, it certainly can be psychologically addictive which can be ever bit as devastating as physical addiction. People can be psychologically addicted to anything that gives pleasure or reliefs pain such as drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling, overeating, work etc..

Whether an activity is addictive depends how we define addiction. Any activity that we perform habitually that makes our lives fuller, more productive, and healthier is not an addiction. Whether a person should use marijuana depends on the person. However, one caveat is that children and teens should not be allowed to use marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol because a child's brain is not sufficiently developed to weight short term gratification against long fulfillment of needs. Every parent has seen this happen when he or she forgets and leave a bowl of delicious candy on the table and returning finding an empty bowl and two sick kids. Children have a much greater problem controlling self gratification than adults.

Last edited:

to function?

not pot.

and, eventually, death.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner
There are many people that can use drugs a lot harder than marijuana and still function well in society. However, most can not. Although I agree that marijuana is not physically addictive, it certainly can be psychologically addictive which can be ever bit as devastating as physical addiction. People can be psychologically addicted to anything that gives pleasure or reliefs pain such as drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling, overeating, work etc..

Whether an activity is addictive depends how we define addiction. Any activity that we perform habitually that makes our lives fuller, more productive, and healthier is not an addiction. Whether a person should use marijuana depends on the person. However, one caveat is that children and teens should not be allowed to use marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol because a child's
brain is not sufficiently developed to weight short term gratification against long fulfillment of needs.

"There are many people that can use drugs a lot harder than marijuana and still function well in society. However, most can not. Although I agree that marijuana is not physically addictive, it certainly can be psychologically addictive which can be ever bit as devastating as physical addiction. People can be psychologically addicted to anything that gives pleasure or reliefs pain such as drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling, overeating, work etc.."

right

so instead of waging war on pot

instead of DESTROYING PEOPLES LIVES for using pot (because we don't want pot to destroy their lives)

we should merely EDUCATE people (starting in schools) about the health hazards of; pot, alcohol, over eating, fatty foods, hard drugs, sugary drinks.....

let them know THE TRUTH (not the lies; one puff of pot and you go mad and rape and kill)

and then let them decide for themselves.

to function?

not pot.

and, eventually, death.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner
There are many people that can use drugs a lot harder than marijuana and still function well in society. However, most can not. Although I agree that marijuana is not physically addictive, it certainly can be psychologically addictive which can be ever bit as devastating as physical addiction. People can be psychologically addicted to anything that gives pleasure or reliefs pain such as drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling, overeating, work etc..

Whether an activity is addictive depends how we define addiction. Any activity that we perform habitually that makes our lives fuller, more productive, and healthier is not an addiction. Whether a person should use marijuana depends on the person. However, one caveat is that children and teens should not be allowed to use marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol because a child's
brain is not sufficiently developed to weight short term gratification against long fulfillment of needs.

"There are many people that can use drugs a lot harder than marijuana and still function well in society. However, most can not. Although I agree that marijuana is not physically addictive, it certainly can be psychologically addictive which can be ever bit as devastating as physical addiction. People can be psychologically addicted to anything that gives pleasure or reliefs pain such as drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling, overeating, work etc.."

right

instead of DESTROYING PEOPLES LIVES for using pot (because we don't want pot to destroy their lives)

we should merely EDUCATE people (starting in schools) about the health hazards of; pot, alcohol, over eating, fatty foods, hard drugs, sugary drinks.....

let them know THE TRUTH (not the lies; one puff of pot and you go mad and rape and kill)

You say that like it doesn't happen.
Skunk addict who beat me up is stalking us from jail

to function?

not pot.

and, eventually, death.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner

right

I agree partially with your statements. However, simply educating kids about drugs, alcohol, and tobacco is not near enough. Parents, schools, and law enforcement needs to be vigilante in preventing the use of these products by kids. Children's lives are ruled by their need for self gratification. As they grow older, they gain the ability to weight short term gratification against long term fulfillment of needs. Most people by age 21 are able to say no to getting high on the night before the big test or when a major project is due. At age 13 or 14, that becomes very problematic. Drinking a bottle of liquor or smoking few joints and impressing your friends with how fast you can drive a car may seem perfectly reasonable to a 16 year old where tens later in would seem insane.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner

right

You say that like it doesn't happen.
Skunk addict who beat me up is stalking us from jail

No....I say that because 99% of all pot smokers are not out committing crimes.

ok....95%.....

MOST pot smokers are just regular guys/women who enjoy the relaxation affects and do not deserve to be punished for smoking it.

Lots of people get VIOLENTLY DRUNK but we don't criminalize social drinkers.

Obviously prosecute anyone who commits a crime. But don't assume that all people wearing Nikes are criminals because this one criminal is wearing them.

In 2017, more than 70,000 people died from drug overdoses, making it a leading cause of injury-related death in the United States. Sixty-eight percent of those deaths involved a prescription or illicit opioid. On average, 130 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose.

America's Drug Overdose Epidemic: Data to Action

Sorry, but you cannot compare marijuana to opiates. Why? One is highly addictive (opiates), and the other one isn't (marijuana). Also, one is made from chemicals, and the other grows naturally.
Opium grows naturally. It's a flower. What do you have against flowers?

You're right, the opium poppy does grow naturally, and harvesting the sap is a simply matter of slitting the bulb and gathering what comes out. The resulting sap can be smoked as opium. And, for the record, that is where I draw the line. You can smoke opium sap if you want, but using opiates is much different, because in order to become heroin, it must be refined with chemicals in a several step process, and to make opiates, it must be refined even further.

I feel the same way about cocaine by the way. Chewing cocoa leaves helps a person deal with altitude better, as well as is a minor stimulant. Chewing cocoa leaves isn't addictive in any way.

However..................

Use chemicals to refine the cocoa leaves into cocoa paste, and then further into cocaine? Nope, sorry, but all the safety valves have been removed, leaving just the active substance.

to function?

not pot.

and, eventually, death.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner
Commits suicide
Marijuana linked to higher risk of depression and suicide in teenagers, study finds

Higher risk of depression and suicide in teenagers? Sorry, but nobody should be smoking until they turn 21. Matter of fact, the brain isn't fully formed until around 18 to 20 years of age. And, I challenge you to go to a 420 shop in CO and get in without an ID saying that you are over 21.

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner

right

I agree partially with your statements. However, simply educating kids about drugs, alcohol, and tobacco is not near enough. Parents, schools, and law enforcement needs to be vigilante in preventing the use of these products by kids. Children's lives are ruled by their need for self gratification. As they grow older, they gain the ability to weight short term gratification against long term fulfillment of needs. Most people by age 21 are able to say no to getting high on the night before the big test or when a major project is due. At age 13 or 14, that becomes very problematic. Drinking a bottle of liquor or smoking few joints and impressing your friends with how fast you can drive a car may seem perfectly reasonable to a 16 year old where tens later in would seem insane.

You know, I agree with both of you, education should be provided. But, in addition to telling them the effects and what happens when they use various substances, they should also be taught about how the brain forms and develops, and isn't fully formed until 18 to 20. Teach the kids that they are still growing their brains, and that interference with that can have bad results. If they see that stunting their growth isn't in their best interests (and have it explained like that), then maybe they will see the advantage in waiting, for both smoking marijuana and drinking.

Celebrate diversity!

I got the last of my boys purple he saved it for me
He got a new one coming in

He had this nice dense red haired.

20200213_172056.jpg

20200213_172437.jpg

things people do on pot;

play guitar
play drums
paint
write poetry
play pool
play video games
watch an old movie
watch a new movie
play basketball
play softball
play chess
eats
has sex
makes love
cooks dinner

right

You know, I agree with both of you, education should be provided. But, in addition to telling them the effects and what happens when they use various substances, they should also be taught about how the brain forms and develops, and isn't fully formed until 18 to 20. Teach the kids that they are still growing their brains, and that interference with that can have bad results. If they see that stunting their growth isn't in their best interests (and have it explained like that), then maybe they will see the advantage in waiting, for both smoking marijuana and drinking.
At ages 12 through 16 or 17, stunting their grow is meaningless when compared to getting high with their buds. As I said, short term gratification trumps long term consequences every time. For kids, college, work, and their health in later life is just not a consideration. So adults have to make sure these products are not easily available to them until they are old enough to evaluate the consequences.

Forum List

Back