Why Are Republicans So Relentlessly Cruel to the Poor?

Not to mention most expensive college costs, training programs and loans ever. Great job. And letting infrastructure go for 35 years now. We may be a banana republic any day now...
A scared, hungry worker is not in a position to negotiate better wages

Republican paradise

"Union membership has plummeted in the U.S., from nearly one-third of workers 50 years ago to one in 10 American workers today."
The incredible decline of American unions, in one animated map

You Bolsheviks want to FORCE the workers of the world into unions when they don't want to be in them?
Reagan's vision from 30 years ago has come to fruition
Bust the unions and force people to bargain individually
That is why job security, wages and benefits have disappeared
Benefits have disappeared? Do tell.
Which benefits have disappeared or been slashed since Reagan?
Pensions, company paid healthcare, educational benefits, paid vacation
Now companies match funds employees put in their 401k, still offer programs to pay employee's to go to school and for their healthcare and yep...paid vacations along with maternity leave,jury duty leave,FMLA and any behavioral therapy related to a death,drugs,alcohol,stress etc...

Some employers even offer free health related benefits..like massage therapists or even discounts on acupuncture treatments.

Give me break about lost benefits.

So... Somalia? You think Somalia has a better society?

What makes a better society exactly? Certainly I've been places where govt made society better, and I've been places with less government that weren't better for it.

What makes society better are people helping people out---not government helping people out. When government helps people out, it becomes political and expensive like Commie Care. People become entitled and dependent on government.

Then when you even suggest that we get rid of some of that government, people make idiotic comparisons like to slavery, 14 hour days in sweat shops, and Somalia. To those people, even the slightest reduction in government is the end of the Fn world.

The problem is, will people help out of their own accord? No, in the modern society every person becomes an island and ignores the rest. So how do you get people to help others out?

Yes, I agree with dependency. That's why I'm talking about education a lot. The problem is that the right who want people to not be dependent, are not willing to put in the effort to change the country onto the right course. If you leave things as they are at the moment, nothing will change.

Were you talking about getting rid of some of the govt? Seems to me you were talking about getting rid of all of it. If you come out with vague sentences that appear to say what you don't want to say, don't blame me for my response not being to your liking.

Look..........the US spends more per capita on education than any other industrialized country on earth. You can't make people learn that don't want to learn. There is simply no benefit for some people. Get out of school, get an Obama phone, get a HUD house in the suburbs, and life will never be better.

Some people will not help other people out. Nothing you can do about that. That's no reason to have the federal government be a giant charity.

Of course people are less likely to help others out if they are convinced government is taking care of the problem. Why donate to the food bank? Get a SNAP's card. Why help out with medical expenses? That's what we have Medicaid for! With less government, we may be able to build a better society.

Yeah, and if we're going to come out with such cop out arguments, then the US is going to remain like it is. You don't improve by using rubbish excuses for why something shouldn't happen. But again, until the govt changes, the US is screwed.

The problem is people spend their whole time fucking things up to then show that it doesn't work. All the while other countries are doing things properly. Well, the US will see where that gets them in a few decades.

If your'e talking about more government spending, we already know where that gets us. We are 20 trillion in the hole now.

I'm not... so....

Wrong. The less government you have, the better society you have.

So... Somalia? You think Somalia has a better society?

What makes a better society exactly? Certainly I've been places where govt made society better, and I've been places with less government that weren't better for it.

What makes society better are people helping people out---not government helping people out. When government helps people out, it becomes political and expensive like Commie Care. People become entitled and dependent on government.

Then when you even suggest that we get rid of some of that government, people make idiotic comparisons like to slavery, 14 hour days in sweat shops, and Somalia. To those people, even the slightest reduction in government is the end of the Fn world.
People helping people out works when you have a small community and a family loses their house to a fire. Everyone chips in to help them

What happens when an entire community loses all its jobs? What happens when a hurricane wipes out one third of a state? Passing the hat does not work
Private charities spend a good portion of their resources just on fund raising. Government has a steady flow of revenue with funds budgeted to help the needy
Why don't people become dependent on private charities? Government offers job training, educational benefits, small business loans to help people out of poverty......charities don't

For one, private charities give to help those truly in need. Government on the other hand passes out money to those for the asking.

Long term disaster relief and house fires are two different things. To put it another way, do you really believe that if we ended welfare as we know it today, that charity contributions would be the same or less? Of course not. Americans are the most generous people in the world. Private donations would increase ten fold.

When government wastes money, it's barely reported. If you wish to give to a charity, you can look up exactly where every penny goes on the site Charity Navigator. org. They tell you how much the charity collects, how much they pay out, how much they use for advertising, how much the use for administration, everything. So unlike government, if you believe the charity you had in minds wastes too much money, you simply don't give to that charity.
How does a private charity determine who is "truly in need"
Belonging to the correct religion? Belonging to the correct race?

Assuming more money would go to charity if welfare was eliminated is nothing but trickle down
Same way the government does.

I never said anything about anything being good for anyone. A legal age of majority is a concept that implies neither good or bad it designates when a member of society is considered responsible for his actions that is all it is

and since when did a drinking age stop under aged kids from drinking?

It's not up to you to "teach" people anything. People will decide what they want to learn and if they don't want to learn what you want them to learn then it's none of your business.

but then again you already agreed that people already know that fruits and vegetables are better for them than a candy bar or a tub of ice cream so you don't have to teach them that.

What you want to do is control other people's behavior to align with what YOU think they should do.

So, kids should decide what they want to learn, or don't want to learn? Again, another crazy concept from the world of keeping people stupid.

We're going around on circles on this one, there isn't much point in carrying on. I get your point, you think that society is far, far below the individual, that the individual rules supreme and that society shouldn't invest in individuals in order to make society better for everyone.

I don't get it.

Now, the funny thing is, it's the right that will tell people how they have to give up their rights for the good of society. How we have to ban Muslims from coming in because it's for the good of the country, how we should stop people taking drugs for the good of the country. And then they'll turn around and say exactly what you have said. That it's all about the individual. Gets confusing.
Where do you stand on Muslims, drugs etc?
what children learn is up to the parents not you

but you do realize any teen aged kid can learn on his own don't you? It's called the internet.

I learned how to eat well without the internet

Well I'm not the right and I'm not the left so saying the right this the left that is meaningless.

This is all about control and you want to control people's behavior by taxing things you don't think people should eat or drink or smoke or whatever

That is not and never will be acceptable

So, if parents want their kids to learn nothing at all, you think that's fair for the kids? There's a reason they introduced compulsory mass education, and there's a reason why society has progressed so much because of this.

It's basically cruel to deny people a chance to make it in life.

Yes, I realize any teen can learn on their own. I also realize that many teens prefer to play games and watch TV. The reality is you're saying "because it can be done, therefore we don't need to try", what I'm saying is that kids need to be pushed to achieve things because otherwise most just won't. That's reality. You're not living in reality.

No, it's not about control. It's about saying that sometimes pushing people towards something better is a better outcome.

Society controls in a certain way anyway. It's a society, people need to live by certain norms. People also realize that a group of people are far more powerful than individuals. We also know that we can shape our society in a manner we want. You'd say that individuals could do whatever they want, but the reality is we place laws, we tax, we do all sorts of things that change how people do things. To make adjustments to these might be seen as controlling, but without them we're controlling just as much.

Imagine if people didn't have to pay taxes. What would the US be like? Somalia, probably. That's more or less what you're advocating.

Look it's none of your business what parents teach their kids and in fact the parents that do teach their kids do a better job than government schools anyway

and it's not your job and it's certainly none of you business to "push" someone else's kids I really don't know what's so hard to understand about that.

and don't start with the Somalia shit because there is a very wide gap between legitimate responsibilities of government and using taxes to punish choices you don't like

That's not the issue. Parents who teach their kids are the ones who care enough to do so. Most people don't have that skill.

The problem is that you just seem to want the US to be full of dumb fuckers who couldn't pick their nose. That you want this for your country is ridiculous. But it's what you want and you seem stubborn enough to keep arguing the same nonsense time and time and time again.

Don't start with Somalia because... because... because it makes your argument look stupid? Yeah, you just keep ignoring the rest of the world and pretend the US is the only place that matters.

keep moving the goal posts you start with fat people and junk food needing to be taxed so fat people don't eat junk food then you jump to handicapped and the mentally retarded now it's the issue of public school oh snd don't forget Somalia

you are more concerned about forcing people to act the way YOU want them to act and making the choices YOU want them to make than you are their freedom to make their own choices

Republican paradise

"Union membership has plummeted in the U.S., from nearly one-third of workers 50 years ago to one in 10 American workers today."

You Bolsheviks want to FORCE the workers of the world into unions when they don't want to be in them?
We are not all in this together, it does not take a fucking Village, there does not need to be a safe space on every corner for snowflakes. Getting along is way overrated
I got mine....fuck everyone else

A concept the Republican Party was built on
no it's I worked for mine why don't you work for yours instead of wanting other people to pay for it
You belong to a society...so do I

As part of a society, you contribute an amount as determined by We the People

People helping people out works when you have a small community and a family loses their house to a fire. Everyone chips in to help them

What happens when an entire community loses all its jobs? What happens when a hurricane wipes out one third of a state? Passing the hat does not work
Private charities spend a good portion of their resources just on fund raising. Government has a steady flow of revenue with funds budgeted to help the needy
Why don't people become dependent on private charities? Government offers job training, educational benefits, small business loans to help people out of poverty......charities don't
Private charities rely on volunteers and donations to raise funds.

They also have highly paid executives who make more than government executives. Those donations do not come free. They hire people to fund raise, they pay for advertising
I volunteer for United Way...I know how they fundraise. The majority of volunteers come from their corporate partners. They do not hire them. They have fundraising campaigns same time every year...volunteers not only donate their time...they also donate all incentives such as silent auction prizes and anything sold to benefit the charity. Corporate partners also give all their employees incentives to donate via payroll deduction i.e...extra PTO days, casual days, VIP parking for a year etc... they also match contributions dollar for dollar.

The CEO of the United Way makes $1.5 million a year. More than any government executive including the President
So what? The volunteers are still not paid for their time and the grants they fund still go to the needy....you know like...Meals on wheels ...that takes no government money...that the United Way is on the board of directors of. And that liberals who do nothing to help ...but take credit for..

If you have a kid who's not producing, do you take him in, no strings attached and make his life as pleasant and painless as can be?

Remember who you're talking to. There's a reason why millennials are famous for being slackers in their parents' basements, and leftist mindsets exactly like you describe are the reason why.

Republican paradise

Now companies match funds employees put in their 401k, still offer programs to pay employee's to go to school and for their healthcare and yep...paid vacations along with maternity leave,jury duty leave,FMLA and any behavioral therapy related to a death,drugs,alcohol,stress etc...

Some employers even offer free health related benefits..like massage therapists or even discounts on acupuncture treatments.

Employers contribute less to 401k's than they did to pensions
They have also cut back their healthcare contributions and stagnated salaries

Just like Reagan intended

They also have highly paid executives who make more than government executives. Those donations do not come free. They hire people to fund raise, they pay for advertising
I volunteer for United Way...I know how they fundraise. The majority of volunteers come from their corporate partners. They do not hire them. They have fundraising campaigns same time every year...volunteers not only donate their time...they also donate all incentives such as silent auction prizes and anything sold to benefit the charity. Corporate partners also give all their employees incentives to donate via payroll deduction i.e...extra PTO days, casual days, VIP parking for a year etc... they also match contributions dollar for dollar.

The CEO of the United Way makes $1.5 million a year. More than any government executive including the President
So what? The volunteers are still not paid for their time and the grants they fund still go to the needy....you know like...Meals on wheels ...that takes no government money...that the United Way is on the board of directors of. And that liberals who do nothing to help ...but take credit for..
So why does the CEO of a volunteer organization deserve a salary seven times the amount of a typical government executive?

Is it because he is successful in finding suckers to volunteer?

Employers contribute less to 401k's than they did to pensions
They have also cut back their healthcare contributions and stagnated salaries

Just like Reagan intended
And they added other incentives like I said. They pay for Jury Duty,Maternity leave, FMLA,Behavioral therapy,school...some will even pay for your gym membership.

Republican paradise

We are not all in this together, it does not take a fucking Village, there does not need to be a safe space on every corner for snowflakes. Getting along is way overrated

no it's I worked for mine why don't you work for yours instead of wanting other people to pay for it
Thanks
More...I got mine, fuck the rest of you

Thanks
Why can't people pay for their own shit then we don't have to worry about controlling others?

So why does the CEO of a volunteer organization deserve a salary seven times the amount of a typical government executive?

First of all according to your liberal bible Snopes the CEO of United Way makes 416k base pay.. Which is actually less than the GEO of Planned Parenthood makes so I'm not sure why you care.

Thanks
Why can't people pay for their own shit then we don't have to worry about controlling others?
Why do the rich rely on the government to build them roads, bridges and infrastructure? Why does the government have to provide them with educated employees? Shouldn't companies educate their own damn workforce?

First of all according to your liberal bible Snopes the CEO of United Way makes 416k base pay.. Which is actually less than the GEO of Planned Parenthood makes so I'm not sure why you care.
Tell us the rest of his compensation since you looked it up

Thanks
Why do the rich rely on the government to build them roads, bridges and infrastructure? Why does the government have to provide them with educated employees? Shouldn't companies educate their own damn workforce?

Why are liberals so whiney and entitled?

Tell us the rest of his compensation since you looked it up
its not the 1.5 million dollar figure you pulled out of your ass.

Conservative ideology towards the poor is that poverty should be as painful as possible.

Yes it is, and that's because we instinctively know that people will react to pain; do what it takes to make the pain stop.

Nobody does anything to relieve comfort, and that's why we have the problem with the poor today.

So that's why there's no poverty in Mexico, where very little is done to help the poor?

There is a difference between people that are poor because they have no other option and people who are poor because they decided to be poor.

With the exception of those who have physical or mental disabilities that prevent them from working, you won't find many so-called poor in this country that became impoverished through no fault of their own. In most cases, it was bad decision making and irresponsibility that brought them to poverty. In other cases, it's location that they don't wish to correct by moving to where the jobs are.

You are soooo right!

More often than not, that poverty is due to personal choices....

Just reading a tribute to the recently passed journalist, Jimmy Breslin, I found this particularly grating passage:
"A total urbanite, Jimmy had never learned how to drive—he was raised by a single mother who earned a meager salary as a social worker, and drank to excess. The Breslins couldn’t afford a car."
Jimmy Breslin, RIP

WHAT????

"The Breslins couldn’t afford a car."
But...." he was raised by a single mother who .... drank to excess."

I guess that 'drink' was free, huh????

This is the sort of absurdity that guides so many and, so many of our social pretenses.

"couldn't afford a car" ...or would rather have a buzz on much of the time????
It was a choice! A decision by the decision maker in the family.
Just as abortions are the choice between sexual restraint, or the ending of a separate and unique life so as to enjoy that moment of passion.

I actually am really reluctant to address possible alternative methods by which Breslin's mom could have acquired alcohol without paying for it. Let's just say it's possible, and leave it there.

If nanny government bureaucrats were parents, they'd be the ones who never taught their children to fend for themselves. They make excuses for everything and never want to hold anyone accountable for their actions. When someone else suggests that the best way to cut the umbilical cord is to allow the child to learn some lessons to help them grow, they are called cruel.

What's cruel is encouraging a person to depend on others their entire lives and preach victimhood to ensure they never stop being angry long enough to think for themselves.

The left took a minor problem and turned it into a huge problem just to benefit themselves. Liberals are cruel.
Name one problem conservatives have admitted causing?

Leftists being taken seriously in political discussions. I'm afraid we'll have to own that.

Thanks
Well the status quo proves how the government fucked everything up…

Forum List

Back