Why Are Republicans So Relentlessly Cruel to the Poor?

Private charities rely on volunteers and donations to raise funds.

They also have highly paid executives who make more than government executives. Those donations do not come free. They hire people to fund raise, they pay for advertising
I volunteer for United Way...I know how they fundraise. The majority of volunteers come from their corporate partners. They do not hire them. They have fundraising campaigns same time every year...volunteers not only donate their time...they also donate all incentives such as silent auction prizes and anything sold to benefit the charity. Corporate partners also give all their employees incentives to donate via payroll deduction i.e...extra PTO days, casual days, VIP parking for a year etc... they also match contributions dollar for dollar.

The CEO of the United Way makes $1.5 million a year. More than any government executive including the President
So what? The volunteers are still not paid for their time and the grants they fund still go to the needy....you know like...Meals on wheels ...that takes no government money...that the United Way is on the board of directors of. And that liberals who do nothing to help ...but take credit for..
So why does the CEO of a volunteer organization deserve a salary seven times the amount of a typical government executive?

Is it because he is successful in finding suckers to volunteer?
why do you get to say what salary anyone deserves?

"Union membership has plummeted in the U.S., from nearly one-third of workers 50 years ago to one in 10 American workers today."
The incredible decline of American unions, in one animated map

You Bolsheviks want to FORCE the workers of the world into unions when they don't want to be in them?
Reagan's vision from 30 years ago has come to fruition
Bust the unions and force people to bargain individually
That is why job security, wages and benefits have disappeared
We are not all in this together, it does not take a fucking Village, there does not need to be a safe space on every corner for snowflakes. Getting along is way overrated
I got mine....fuck everyone else

A concept the Republican Party was built on
no it's I worked for mine why don't you work for yours instead of wanting other people to pay for it
Thanks
More...I got mine, fuck the rest of you
no it's I worked for mine and didn't ask you to pay for it so don't ask me to pay for yours

We are not all in this together, it does not take a fucking Village, there does not need to be a safe space on every corner for snowflakes. Getting along is way overrated

no it's I worked for mine why don't you work for yours instead of wanting other people to pay for it
You belong to a society...so do I

As part of a society, you contribute an amount as determined by We the People

I obey the laws that is all I am obligated to do
And fight for the greedy idiot GOP rich every day...

Thanks
More...I got mine, fuck the rest of you
Why can't people pay for their own shit then we don't have to worry about controlling others?
Why do the rich rely on the government to build them roads, bridges and infrastructure? Why does the government have to provide them with educated employees? Shouldn't companies educate their own damn workforce?
they don't they pay just as much or more than anyone else who uses the roads

I never voted for any republican

I never voted for any republican
If you didn't vote Dem you did...

A scared, hungry worker is not in a position to negotiate better wages

Republican paradise

"Union membership has plummeted in the U.S., from nearly one-third of workers 50 years ago to one in 10 American workers today."

You Bolsheviks want to FORCE the workers of the world into unions when they don't want to be in them?
Benefits have disappeared? Do tell.
Which benefits have disappeared or been slashed since Reagan?
Pensions, company paid healthcare, educational benefits, paid vacation
Now companies match funds employees put in their 401k, still offer programs to pay employee's to go to school and for their healthcare and yep...paid vacations along with maternity leave,jury duty leave,FMLA and any behavioral therapy related to a death,drugs,alcohol,stress etc...

Some employers even offer free health related benefits..like massage therapists or even discounts on acupuncture treatments.

Give me break about lost benefits.
You're alright, so facts don't matter, right, superdupe?

So... Somalia? You think Somalia has a better society?

What makes a better society exactly? Certainly I've been places where govt made society better, and I've been places with less government that weren't better for it.

What makes society better are people helping people out---not government helping people out. When government helps people out, it becomes political and expensive like Commie Care. People become entitled and dependent on government.

Then when you even suggest that we get rid of some of that government, people make idiotic comparisons like to slavery, 14 hour days in sweat shops, and Somalia. To those people, even the slightest reduction in government is the end of the Fn world.

The problem is, will people help out of their own accord? No, in the modern society every person becomes an island and ignores the rest. So how do you get people to help others out?

Yes, I agree with dependency. That's why I'm talking about education a lot. The problem is that the right who want people to not be dependent, are not willing to put in the effort to change the country onto the right course. If you leave things as they are at the moment, nothing will change.

Were you talking about getting rid of some of the govt? Seems to me you were talking about getting rid of all of it. If you come out with vague sentences that appear to say what you don't want to say, don't blame me for my response not being to your liking.

Look..........the US spends more per capita on education than any other industrialized country on earth. You can't make people learn that don't want to learn. There is simply no benefit for some people. Get out of school, get an Obama phone, get a HUD house in the suburbs, and life will never be better.

Some people will not help other people out. Nothing you can do about that. That's no reason to have the federal government be a giant charity.

Of course people are less likely to help others out if they are convinced government is taking care of the problem. Why donate to the food bank? Get a SNAP's card. Why help out with medical expenses? That's what we have Medicaid for! With less government, we may be able to build a better society.

Yeah, and if we're going to come out with such cop out arguments, then the US is going to remain like it is. You don't improve by using rubbish excuses for why something shouldn't happen. But again, until the govt changes, the US is screwed.

The problem is people spend their whole time fucking things up to then show that it doesn't work. All the while other countries are doing things properly. Well, the US will see where that gets them in a few decades.

If your'e talking about more government spending, we already know where that gets us. We are 20 trillion in the hole now.
Out of ANOTHER corrupt GOP world depression?

Wrong. The less government you have, the better society you have.

What makes a better society exactly? Certainly I've been places where govt made society better, and I've been places with less government that weren't better for it.

What makes society better are people helping people out---not government helping people out. When government helps people out, it becomes political and expensive like Commie Care. People become entitled and dependent on government.

Then when you even suggest that we get rid of some of that government, people make idiotic comparisons like to slavery, 14 hour days in sweat shops, and Somalia. To those people, even the slightest reduction in government is the end of the Fn world.
People helping people out works when you have a small community and a family loses their house to a fire. Everyone chips in to help them

What happens when an entire community loses all its jobs? What happens when a hurricane wipes out one third of a state? Passing the hat does not work
Private charities spend a good portion of their resources just on fund raising. Government has a steady flow of revenue with funds budgeted to help the needy
Why don't people become dependent on private charities? Government offers job training, educational benefits, small business loans to help people out of poverty......charities don't

For one, private charities give to help those truly in need. Government on the other hand passes out money to those for the asking.

Long term disaster relief and house fires are two different things. To put it another way, do you really believe that if we ended welfare as we know it today, that charity contributions would be the same or less? Of course not. Americans are the most generous people in the world. Private donations would increase ten fold.

When government wastes money, it's barely reported. If you wish to give to a charity, you can look up exactly where every penny goes on the site Charity Navigator. org. They tell you how much the charity collects, how much they pay out, how much they use for advertising, how much the use for administration, everything. So unlike government, if you believe the charity you had in minds wastes too much money, you simply don't give to that charity.

Marvin Olasky, in "The Tragedy of American Compassion," explains that human needs were taken care of by other human beings- not by bureaucracies. The important difference was that the latter may take care of food and shelter...but the former also dealt with the human spirit and behavior.
Welfare programs today, are Liberal….conservatives don’t look for material solutions, but understand that changing values is what solves the problem of poverty..
Only in right wing fantasy. Bail out the wealthiest, and then, let it trickle down, is government policy.

Let's remember.....the Democrats both create the poor.....and maintain that poverty.

I see that today isn't the day you think before you post.
Republicans have propped up the wealthy since Reagan trickle down

Break the unions, reduce competition, hold back wages
A scared workforce is not in a position to demand more pay

Then, blame the poor because workers are struggling
Not to mention most expensive college costs, training programs and loans ever. Great job. And letting infrastructure go for 35 years now. We may be a banana republic any day now...

"Not to mention most expensive college costs, training programs and loans ever."

Every one due to Liberal/Democrat policies.
What Conservative Republican policies have helped cut college costs, provided low cost training or loans?
liberal policies haven't cut college costs
the idea that the government guarantees loans ofr students has done nothing but leave us with a trillion dollar debt bomb
Liberal policies haven't been PASSED in 30 years.

People helping people out works when you have a small community and a family loses their house to a fire. Everyone chips in to help them

What happens when an entire community loses all its jobs? What happens when a hurricane wipes out one third of a state? Passing the hat does not work
Private charities spend a good portion of their resources just on fund raising. Government has a steady flow of revenue with funds budgeted to help the needy
Why don't people become dependent on private charities? Government offers job training, educational benefits, small business loans to help people out of poverty......charities don't

For one, private charities give to help those truly in need. Government on the other hand passes out money to those for the asking.

Long term disaster relief and house fires are two different things. To put it another way, do you really believe that if we ended welfare as we know it today, that charity contributions would be the same or less? Of course not. Americans are the most generous people in the world. Private donations would increase ten fold.

When government wastes money, it's barely reported. If you wish to give to a charity, you can look up exactly where every penny goes on the site Charity Navigator. org. They tell you how much the charity collects, how much they pay out, how much they use for advertising, how much the use for administration, everything. So unlike government, if you believe the charity you had in minds wastes too much money, you simply don't give to that charity.
How does a private charity determine who is "truly in need"
Belonging to the correct religion? Belonging to the correct race?

Assuming more money would go to charity if welfare was eliminated is nothing but trickle down

The government conducted a study, 1971-1978 known as the Seattle-Denver Income Maintenance Experiment, or SIME-DIME, in which low income families were given a guaranteed income, a welfare package with everything liberal policy makers could hope for.

Result: for every dollar of extra welfare given, low income recipients reduced their labor by 80 cents.
http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/...eams/12794.pdf

a. Further results: dissolution of families:
“This conclusion was unambiguously unfavorable to advocates of a negative income tax [welfare] that would cover married couples, for two important reasons.First, increased marital breakups among the poor would increase the numbers on welfare and the amount of transfer payments, principally because the separated wife and children would receive higher transfer payments. Second, marital dissolutions and the usual accompanying absence of fathers from households with children are generally considered unfavorable outcomes regardless of whether or not the welfare rolls increase.”http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/conf/conf30/conf30c.pdf

The Liberal solution....encouraging worse problems than they sought to solve.
They should have gone to school or learned how to invest.

Wrong. The less government you have, the better society you have.

Marvin Olasky, in "The Tragedy of American Compassion," explains that human needs were taken care of by other human beings- not by bureaucracies. The important difference was that the latter may take care of food and shelter...but the former also dealt with the human spirit and behavior.
Welfare programs today, are Liberal….conservatives don’t look for material solutions, but understand that changing values is what solves the problem of poverty..

What is poverty?
Poverty is the situation of not having enough money.

What is the solution to poverty?
People having more money.

Where does one get money from?
A job.

The solution to poverty from a liberal point of view is give people the money they need. It may give some relief from poverty but certainly prolongs it at the same time. The solution to poverty is not giving people money other people make, the solution is people in poverty creating their own money and being able to pull themselves out of poverty.

Only in right wing fantasy. Bail out the wealthiest, and then, let it trickle down, is government policy.
we have had leftiest socialist dogma for a 100 years running the country why are there still poor people? Funny thing is the only time we do have less poor is when we stop using socialist dogma ...

we have had leftiest socialist dogma for a 100 years running the country why are there still poor people? Funny thing is the only time we do have less poor is when we stop using socialist dogma ...
Hilarious. 35 years of Reaganism not taxing the rich and not investing in America is what we've got, dupe.

Hilarious. 35 years of Reaganism not taxing the rich and not investing in America is what we've got, dupe.
Reagan was in office 8 years .... That LARGEST economic growth ever in the history of the country as well as less poor .... Now how is it it failed again ? So sad you are so ignorant of facts.

Benefits have disappeared? Do tell.
Which benefits have disappeared or been slashed since Reagan?
Pensions, company paid healthcare, educational benefits, paid vacation
Now companies match funds employees put in their 401k, still offer programs to pay employee's to go to school and for their healthcare and yep...paid vacations along with maternity leave,jury duty leave,FMLA and any behavioral therapy related to a death,drugs,alcohol,stress etc...

Some employers even offer free health related benefits..like massage therapists or even discounts on acupuncture treatments.

Give me break about lost benefits.
You're alright, so facts don't matter, right, superdupe?
You and "facts" have never met. So I'm not worried.

So that's why there's no poverty in Mexico, where very little is done to help the poor?

There is a difference between people that are poor because they have no other option and people who are poor because they decided to be poor.

With the exception of those who have physical or mental disabilities that prevent them from working, you won't find many so-called poor in this country that became impoverished through no fault of their own. In most cases, it was bad decision making and irresponsibility that brought them to poverty. In other cases, it's location that they don't wish to correct by moving to where the jobs are.

You are soooo right!

More often than not, that poverty is due to personal choices....

Just reading a tribute to the recently passed journalist, Jimmy Breslin, I found this particularly grating passage:
"A total urbanite, Jimmy had never learned how to drive—he was raised by a single mother who earned a meager salary as a social worker, and drank to excess. The Breslins couldn’t afford a car."
Jimmy Breslin, RIP

WHAT????

"The Breslins couldn’t afford a car."
But...." he was raised by a single mother who .... drank to excess."

I guess that 'drink' was free, huh????

This is the sort of absurdity that guides so many and, so many of our social pretenses.

"couldn't afford a car" ...or would rather have a buzz on much of the time????
It was a choice! A decision by the decision maker in the family.
Just as abortions are the choice between sexual restraint, or the ending of a separate and unique life so as to enjoy that moment of passion.
You do know that alcoholism is an illness dont you ?

Exhibit A in answer to the OP.

What a load of self-serving, I'm-a-helpless-victim leftist twaddle. I am so sick of hearing this.

A tendency toward addiction is a genetic circumstance. Alcoholism is a behavior and a choice.
Any help for them should be quashed so that the bloated greedy idiot GOP can save on their taxes....
The only way Libs help is to let them buy booze on EBT and live on the streets.

Forum List

Back