Why Did You Leave Christianity Behind?

how you are certain the one that committed the crime wasn't driven to do so by religion.
Or was forced to do it under threat? So many possibilities... Yet one amongst us in this thread wouldn't hesitate to cast judgment. Anyone want to guess which faith said poster professes?

All communist nations were officially atheistic nations. Every single one. No exceptions.

So? Some atheists or people who do not believe in manmade religion might be communists too. That proves nothing.

Christian communism - Wikipedia

Christian communism is a form of religious communism based on Christianity. It is a theological and political theory based upon the view that the teachings of Jesus Christ compel Christians to support communism as the ideal social system. Although there is no universal agreement on the exact date when Christian communism was founded, many Christian communists assert that evidence from the Bible suggests that the first Christians, including the Apostles, established their own small communist society in the years following Jesus' death and resurrection. As such, many advocates of Christian communism argue that it was taught by Jesus and practiced by the Apostles themselves.
Communism is naturalized humanism. Karl Marx

The propaganda of atheism is necessary for our programs. Vladimir Lenin.

According to the University of Cambridge, historically, the "most notable spread of atheism was achieved through the success of the 1917 Russian Revolution, which brought the Marxist-Leninists to power."

Marxism - Investigating Atheism

Vladimir Lenin explains it thusly: "A Marxist must be a materialist, i. e., an enemy of religion, but a dialectical materialist, i. e., one who treats the struggle against religion not in an abstract way, not on the basis of remote, purely theoretical, never varying preaching, but in a concrete way, on the basis of the class struggle which is going on in practice and is educating the masses more and better than anything else could."

Lenin: The Attitude of the Workers' Party to Religion

In 1955, Chinese communist leader Zhou Enlai declared, "We Communists are atheists"

Noebel, David, The Battle for Truth, Harvest House, 2001.

China’s Communist Party Reaffirms Marxism, Maoism, Atheism, Thursday, 20 November 2014

"The Communist Party of China (CPC) is letting its members know that the party’s official adherence to militant atheism has not changed; Party members are not allowed to be Christians, or to hold any other religious beliefs. That is the clear message sent by a top Party official in an editorial published on November 14 in the Global Times, the international version of People’s Daily, the official newspaper and mouthpiece of the CPC.

The editorial, written by Zhou Weiqun, chairman of the Committee on Ethnic and Religious Affairs of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, blasted Chinese academics who suggest that Communist Party members can also adhere to any religion. This prohibition against religion has been a “consistently upheld principle” since Mao Zedong, the founder of the People’s Republic of China, declared Zhou. “It’s impossible to have another choice besides the dialectical materialist worldview.”..."

China’s Communist Party Reaffirms Marxism, Maoism, Atheism

That's like saying that religious people should be equated with the KKK.
I didn't say that. Militant atheism leads to communism. My point here is that Vastator believes that Christianity has not been a force for good. I don't believe he has the proper perspective or is objective. You are the one who interjected yourself into this conversation. I have no desire to push this point, but I will not sugar coat it. History and reason tell us that militant atheism leads to communism. It seems to me that the outcome of Christianity (i.e. Western Civilization) is a sight better than militant atheism, wouldn't you agree?
Wrong... Wow! You're pretty arrogant. Vanity is a Christian sin is it not? I simply did choose to "agree with your statement that "Christianity is the greatest force of good ever". But rather pointed out that "good", is like beauty. It's in the eye of the beholder. But you instead; because I didn't "agree" with you; You assumed I held an opposing position. You were wrong. Not everyone who chooses not to take up your cause is your opponent. Unless... Your one of those "if you're not with me, you're against me" types. Which frankly matched the demeanor you've displayed in this thread heretofore.
Oh, I'm sure I am as vain as the next guy. Vanity is the devil's favorite sin after all. The fact that you don't accept that Western Civilization has been an unparalleled force for good and cannot name any other civilization that has been better tells me that you are not objective on Christianity and have an ax to grind. If you want to see that as arrogant, so be it. The fact of the matter is that you do not have truth on your side and it shows in your arguments. I have shown you cause and effect. I have shown you outcomes. I have shown you comparisons. I am not attacking your beliefs. I am defending mine and for that you label me as arrogant.

criminalizing "prostitution" is the cause for unknown senseless crimes perpetrated by 4th century christian mentality.

Well, there have certainly been some whacked out religious people/leaders throughout history and now in current times as well. :D

I don't really get "good vibes" from most religious people anyways, and I don't really trust some of them. Of course, some of them that I know are very nice people (like my auntie, but she doesn't preach and she isn't on your case all the time, thankfully). She really does help people and does her best to live up to her religious convictions (although some would be impossible standards for some humans).

So? Some atheists or people who do not believe in manmade religion might be communists too. That proves nothing.

Christian communism is a form of religious communism based on Christianity. It is a theological and political theory based upon the view that the teachings of Jesus Christ compel Christians to support communism as the ideal social system. Although there is no universal agreement on the exact date when Christian communism was founded, many Christian communists assert that evidence from the Bible suggests that the first Christians, including the Apostles, established their own small communist society in the years following Jesus' death and resurrection. As such, many advocates of Christian communism argue that it was taught by Jesus and practiced by the Apostles themselves.

According to the University of Cambridge, historically, the "most notable spread of atheism was achieved through the success of the 1917 Russian Revolution, which brought the Marxist-Leninists to power."

Vladimir Lenin explains it thusly: "A Marxist must be a materialist, i. e., an enemy of religion, but a dialectical materialist, i. e., one who treats the struggle against religion not in an abstract way, not on the basis of remote, purely theoretical, never varying preaching, but in a concrete way, on the basis of the class struggle which is going on in practice and is educating the masses more and better than anything else could."

In 1955, Chinese communist leader Zhou Enlai declared, "We Communists are atheists"

China’s Communist Party Reaffirms Marxism, Maoism, Atheism, Thursday, 20 November 2014

"The Communist Party of China (CPC) is letting its members know that the party’s official adherence to militant atheism has not changed; Party members are not allowed to be Christians, or to hold any other religious beliefs. That is the clear message sent by a top Party official in an editorial published on November 14 in the Global Times, the international version of People’s Daily, the official newspaper and mouthpiece of the CPC.

The editorial, written by Zhou Weiqun, chairman of the Committee on Ethnic and Religious Affairs of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, blasted Chinese academics who suggest that Communist Party members can also adhere to any religion. This prohibition against religion has been a “consistently upheld principle” since Mao Zedong, the founder of the People’s Republic of China, declared Zhou. “It’s impossible to have another choice besides the dialectical materialist worldview.”..."

I didn't say that. Militant atheism leads to communism. My point here is that Vastator believes that Christianity has not been a force for good. I don't believe he has the proper perspective or is objective. You are the one who interjected yourself into this conversation. I have no desire to push this point, but I will not sugar coat it. History and reason tell us that militant atheism leads to communism. It seems to me that the outcome of Christianity (i.e. Western Civilization) is a sight better than militant atheism, wouldn't you agree?
Wrong... Wow! You're pretty arrogant. Vanity is a Christian sin is it not? I simply did choose to "agree with your statement that "Christianity is the greatest force of good ever". But rather pointed out that "good", is like beauty. It's in the eye of the beholder. But you instead; because I didn't "agree" with you; You assumed I held an opposing position. You were wrong. Not everyone who chooses not to take up your cause is your opponent. Unless... Your one of those "if you're not with me, you're against me" types. Which frankly matched the demeanor you've displayed in this thread heretofore.
Oh, I'm sure I am as vain as the next guy. Vanity is the devil's favorite sin after all. The fact that you don't accept that Western Civilization has been an unparalleled force for good and cannot name any other civilization that has been better tells me that you are not objective on Christianity and have an ax to grind. If you want to see that as arrogant, so be it. The fact of the matter is that you do not have truth on your side and it shows in your arguments. I have shown you cause and effect. I have shown you outcomes. I have shown you comparisons. I am not attacking your beliefs. I am defending mine and for that you label me as arrogant.
But you are defending that which hasn't been attacked... A sign of insecurity? Or paranoia?

There are plenty of bad things that happen in the "Christian" world. Lol. Nobody was attacking you. We wanted to discuss why WE don't believe when you jumped into the conversation. :D

Also the creator god idea never made sense. The idea that because there's an order in the universe there must be an orderer. Makes no sense

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'"
Psalm 14:1

"All of the wonders around us are accidental. No almighty hand made a thousand-billion stars. They made themselves. No power keeps them on their steady course. The earth spins itself to keep the oceans from falling off toward the sun. Infants teach themselves to cry when they are hungry or hurt. A small flower invented itself so that we could extract digitalis for sick hearts. The earth gave itself day and night, tilted itself so that we get seasons. Without the magnetic poles man would be unable to navigate the trackless oceans of water and air, but they just grew there.

How about the sugar thermostat in the pancreas? It maintains a level of sugar in the blood sufficient for energy. Without it, all of us would fall into a coma and die. Why does snow sit on mountaintops waiting for the warm spring sun to melt it at just the right time for the young crops in farms below to drink? A very lovely accident.

A human heart will beat for 70 or 80 years without faltering. How does it get sufficient rest between beats? A kidney will filter poison from the blood, and leave good things alone. How does it know one from the other? Who gave the human tongue flexibility to form words, and a brain to understand them, but denied it to all other animals? Who showed a womb how to take the love of two persons and keep splitting a tiny ovum until, in time, a baby would have the proper number of fingers, eyes and ears and hair in the right places, and come into the world when it is strong enough to sustain life?"

Furthermore, "Without the moon being the size that it is and just the right distance from the earth, we would have no tides in the oceans to keep the algae stirred up and constantly moving, thereby keeping the algae alive and creating most of the oxygen in our atmosphere!"

And some would claim there is no God! And all this—and millions of other miracles of nature—all happened by chance?

There has been no good done by atheistic nations. They murdered over 100 million people in the 20th century.

And so have religious nations and leaders. So? I know you think you are making some kind of point with all of this, but you really aren't.
Yes, I was making a point. I even explained it to you. Do you need for me to show you where and what I explained?

What point is that? The only point I see is that some people will do bad things, regardless of their beliefs.
My point here is that Vastator believes that Christianity has not been a force for good. I don't believe he has the proper perspective or is objective. You are the one who interjected yourself into this conversation. I have no desire to push this point, but I will not sugar coat it. History and reason tell us that militant atheism leads to communism. It seems to me that the outcome of Christianity (i.e. Western Civilization) is a sight better than militant atheism. Do you want me to continue proving this?

No need to sugar coat anything. I'm fully aware that there are some people who do good things and some who do bad things, regardless of their religious beliefs or lack of.
Excellent.

"Whereas Marx and Engels had assumed that religion would wither away of its own accord once the socio-economic conditions changed (see Radical Hegelianism), many Bolscheviks supposed that an aggressive antireligious struggle would nevertheless be necessary. Echoing Lenin, the Marxist philosopher Bucharin (1888-1938), for example, in his ABC of Communism (1919) stated unreservedly that religion and communism were in theory and practice irreconcilable.[1]The antireligious movement in the USSR seems to have lost much of its impetus by the early 1930s, and during the second world war the USSR closed the Association of Militant Atheists (1941) so as not to risk division among the people against the common German enemy.[2] However, in 1955/6 militant atheism in the USSR was once more actively promoted, with the establishment of a Chair for Scientific Atheism in Moscow in 1963.[3] This trend was also reflected in policies in the Eastern Bloc and China."

[1]↑ Georges Minois, Histoire de L'atheisme (La Fleche: Fayard, 1998), 520.
[2]↑ Ibid., 526.
[3]↑ Ibid.

banner.jpg

Also the creator god idea never made sense. The idea that because there's an order in the universe there must be an orderer. Makes no sense

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'"
Psalm 14:1

"All of the wonders around us are accidental. No almighty hand made a thousand-billion stars. They made themselves. No power keeps them on their steady course. The earth spins itself to keep the oceans from falling off toward the sun. Infants teach themselves to cry when they are hungry or hurt. A small flower invented itself so that we could extract digitalis for sick hearts. The earth gave itself day and night, tilted itself so that we get seasons. Without the magnetic poles man would be unable to navigate the trackless oceans of water and air, but they just grew there.

How about the sugar thermostat in the pancreas? It maintains a level of sugar in the blood sufficient for energy. Without it, all of us would fall into a coma and die. Why does snow sit on mountaintops waiting for the warm spring sun to melt it at just the right time for the young crops in farms below to drink? A very lovely accident.

A human heart will beat for 70 or 80 years without faltering. How does it get sufficient rest between beats? A kidney will filter poison from the blood, and leave good things alone. How does it know one from the other? Who gave the human tongue flexibility to form words, and a brain to understand them, but denied it to all other animals? Who showed a womb how to take the love of two persons and keep splitting a tiny ovum until, in time, a baby would have the proper number of fingers, eyes and ears and hair in the right places, and come into the world when it is strong enough to sustain life?"

Furthermore, "Without the moon being the size that it is and just the right distance from the earth, we would have no tides in the oceans to keep the algae stirred up and constantly moving, thereby keeping the algae alive and creating most of the oxygen in our atmosphere!"

And some would claim there is no God! And all this—and millions of other miracles of nature—all happened by chance?

Yup, some of us believe in the theory of evolution believe it or not. :2up: Just because something is beautiful or wondrous doesn't mean a "god" had to create it. ;)

I find the process of evolution to be quite wondrous and fascinating, actually. Our bodies are amazing machines, that's for sure.

But you are defending that which hasn't been attacked... A sign of insecurity? Or paranoia?
See me anyway you want.

See me anyway you want.

Okay. I see you as invisible. :D

I find the process of evolution to be quite wondrous and fascinating, actually. Our bodies are amazing machines, that's for sure.
Me too. We live in a universe where given enough time and the right conditions beings that know and create will eventually arise. This process is controlled by the laws of nature which came into existence when space and time were created. Beings that know and create were preordained to exist the moment space and time were created. In fact, the atoms in your body were created when space and time were created.

I can't tell you how the computer in my phone works; or why. That doesn't mean God created it.

'New Atheism'
Over the past couple of years there has been an unexpected revival of strident atheism of a sort not seen in Europe or America for over half a century. Despite the claims of historians that that the old days of militant atheism are over and the previously sharp distinction between atheist and believer can be expected to be effaced still further in the postmodern climate of general relativism and indifferentism, [1]

[1]↑ See, for example, Georges Minois, Histoire de L'atheisme (La Fleche: Fayard, 1998).

Current Controversies - Investigating Atheism

banner.jpg

See me anyway you want.
I'd like to see you stick to the op, instead of crusading through a thread which clearly doesn't pertain to you.

2 points:

1. Nothing you've posted suggests the necessity for a god. It can just as easily be argued that these amazing things that happen is the result of forces interacting. A plate falls onto a hard floor and shatters. It's just the way things are. It's how the universe unfolds.

2. Everything is cause and effect except for this god person. One single thing happens to stand outside cause and effect. How convenient for people who insist on there being a creator of everything.

'New Atheism'
Over the past couple of years there has been an unexpected revival of strident atheism of a sort not seen in Europe or America for over half a century. Despite the claims of historians that that the old days of militant atheism are over and the previously sharp distinction between atheist and believer can be expected to be effaced still further in the postmodern climate of general relativism and indifferentism, [1]

[1]↑ See, for example, Georges Minois, Histoire de L'atheisme (La Fleche: Fayard, 1998).

Current Controversies - Investigating Atheism

banner.jpg
Just curious... You randomly dropped an atheism link as a response to my post. Hmmmm. Why?

I can't tell you how the computer in my phone works; or why. That doesn't mean God created it.
Can you tell me if you can use it as evidence to learn things about how it was created or why it was created?

Forum List

Back