Why Did You Leave Christianity Behind?

It's ironic that one who would like to portray a deep devotion to ones faith; would rather disrupt, and derail, as opposed to sitting back quietly, and listening to people's true stories and experiences as to why they left said faith. It shows at best, a lack of wisdom. At worst. It shows something... Decidedly worse...

A lot of them think that if a person doesn't believe that they are a "bad person." It's automatic with some of them. If you don't have a religion then you can't possibly be a good or decent person. If you've developed morals based upon your own life experiences, etc., then you are a hypocrite. You can't have morals unless they were "given" to you by a god.

'New Atheism'
Over the past couple of years there has been an unexpected revival of strident atheism of a sort not seen in Europe or America for over half a century. Despite the claims of historians that that the old days of militant atheism are over and the previously sharp distinction between atheist and believer can be expected to be effaced still further in the postmodern climate of general relativism and indifferentism, [1]

[1]↑ See, for example, Georges Minois, Histoire de L'atheisme (La Fleche: Fayard, 1998).

Current Controversies - Investigating Atheism

banner.jpg
Just curious... You randomly dropped an atheism link as a response to my post. Hmmmm. Why?
Because I thought you should know why you are discussing religion.
Again with your pompous arrogance... No poster require you to tell them why they do anything. Especially one so self absorbed and pretentious as yourself. I know you don't see it; but you literally display most of the worst stereotypes that plague people's percetions of both Christian, and Christianity.
When you're done trying to win the internet. You should go back and re-read your posts, without the distraction of "trying to win"; you might see what I mean.
Do you mean like implying that I am insecure and paranoid? Like that? Hey, aren't we off topic? We better get back on topic or the OP might get upset.
Now indignant petulance? Really dude? You realize there is no prize or trophy... Right?
I took your advice and went back and re-read this thread. I'm glad I did it too because what started our conversation was a discussion on the definition of sin which led to a discussion on the spirit of God being within us. Do you remember? You said that was unbelievable and then I used love being in us as an example. First of all you said that was unbelievable too. Then when you were pressed on it you crawfished and said love was misunderstood. But when I asked you if you ever loved someone, you punted. I even asked you several times, but still you wouldn't admit what we both know is that you do love someone. Why wouldn't you answer? Because you were trying to "win the internet." So don't you think it is a little ironic accusing me of what you are doing?

Last edited:
It's ironic that one who would like to portray a deep devotion to ones faith; would rather disrupt, and derail, as opposed to sitting back quietly, and listening to people's true stories and experiences as to why they left said faith. It shows at best, a lack of wisdom. At worst. It shows something... Decidedly worse...

A lot of them think that if a person doesn't believe that they are a "bad person." It's automatic with some of them. If you don't have a religion then you can't possibly be a good or decent person. If you've developed morals based upon your own life experiences, etc., then you are a hypocrite. You can't have morals unless they were "given" to you by a god.
There are also the lot that think, that if a person isn't christian, (or some other abrahmic faith) they must be an atheist. These same people often think that their religion founded morality, and virtue itself. It borders on the insane.

Don't you think this is a little late to be bringing this up. You could have done that 10 pages ago. Why now?

And for the record, I'm not that religious. I am no saint. You can pretend all you want that this is a thread to discuss why you lost your faith but we both know what this thread really is. Otherwise, you would have brought up being off topic subject 10 pages ago. You were in this every step of the way, but all of a sudden it is my fault. We call that having an external locus of control, brother.

The judgemental aspect of the Christian religion always bothered me. You know that 'you are a bad person and must repent for your terrible sins'. I was too young to even have sins and I certainly didn't consider myself a bad person.
Yeah, I hear ya. The idea that you born "evil", or a "sinner" at birth; was one of many objections I had.

That a newborn infant is born a sinner because it was created through an act of sin, this is difficult as a parent for me to accept my children being automatic sinners.

Also I don't know if this still happens, I hope it doesn't, but stillborn babies used to be denied Baptism because Baptism is only for the living, I can think of nothing further traumatising than parents already grieving a stillborn baby then asking for it to be Baptised and that being refused, I hope that rule has been changed.
We are all born into sin as we enter the world. Where in the heck did you hear a baby being born is from an act of sin. Whoever said that has a sex hang up.

It's automatic with some of them. If you don't have a religion then you can't possibly be a good or decent person.
Being considered a "good", and "decent" person; is the result of living a virtuous life. The virtues that make a person great existed long before the advent of the Hebrew faiths. Adherence to these virtues are what gave men social, and historical equity. To this day people who live their lives according to these virtues, are regarded well by the society around them. But most importantly they are honored for these virtues after death, by the blood they leave behind. Through the perpetuation of blood, and virtue we live on.

I was a Christian for over 20 years (why do I feel like this is an AA meeting?) I'm clean and sober now.....

But I am the type that has to pop the hood and find how things work. I spent many years studying the history, times and culture. Things started adding up one way, the other not so much. When you are into a religion all facts must fit into your beliefs, even it it's to dismiss them as only God knows.

But as I gained rational thought it took more and more faith to believe what I did. Finally I couldn't muster enough. Even then it took a good three years before I could say I was no longer a Christian. Religion gets deeply embedded into your psyche.

That's because you came under the influence of the world.

I am Christian for the same reason you aren't...as I grew in knowledge, I came to the ever increasing realization that there is no other explanation except the one that is in the Bible...and even more important, I came to the realization that prayers are answered, fully, and God is true and Christ is salvation.
No, I didn't come into influence of the world, I used my brain. I did NOT want to leave the religion, I had friends and a lifestyle to go with it. I had to be honest with myself and ask why I believed what I did.

Because it says so wasn't a good enough answer. Then adding up all the difficulties made it impossible to stay the course. I was not raised as a Christian, was 30 yo before taking the plunge.

I put my brain right up there with anybody's. My parents were atheists.
My comment was a response to you saying my mind changed because of the world's influence. I didn't claim you had a defective brain, I said I used mine and reached my own conclusions.

Either Christianity is a faith or it isn't. You don't need faith if you have facts.
Wrong again. I have facts. I still have faith. I don't need it in the way you think. I choose it. That's what it's all about.

and yes, the world has led you astray. The bible deals pretty extensively with the phenomenon of worldliness and false knowledge. What you perceive is not what you think.
One of the most irritating thing about Christians is their propensity to lecture and condescend those that fail to agree with them. They'll even do it to other denominations.

Don't tell me what my mind is and how I arrived at my decisions. I am well familiar with the wordly term. Christians love to shame people for even thinking of using their own minds.

Christianity, like all religions, is a faith. Faith is what you need to believe things that are not based on fact. Facts don't happen simply because you believe them.

There's no record of all the dead people risen from the graves when Jesus died on the cross. No record of the temple drapes being ripped in half, no record of the Earthquake, eclipse. Jesus couldn't be bothered to write the most important message ever down.

Whoever wrote the books wrote them in Greek, not Aramaic. Neither Josephus or Philo wrote anything about this guy running around performing great miracles and they were prolific writers contemporary to the time.

In fact, reading Philo one can see how he was rethinking the Hebrew religion and putting a new age spin on it with the Greeks' Hellenized thought. Coined the term Logos and its' concept before the first NT books were written.

The Jews in the area were so Hellenized few even spoke Hebrew or Aramaic anymore and spoke Greek. Their Bible was an imperfect translation of the OT into Greek called the Pentateuch. Those errors found their way into the NT books as the old stories were rewritten for modern times.

Those are just a few problems off the top of my head. It requires too much faith for me to ignore them.

Don't you think this is a little late to be bringing this up. You could have done that 10 pages ago. Why now?

And for the record, I'm not that religious. I am no saint. You can pretend all you want that this is a thread to discuss why you lost your faith but we both know what this thread really is. Otherwise, you would have brought up being off topic subject 10 pages ago. You were in this every step of the way, but all of a sudden it is my fault. We call that having an external locus of control, brother.

Look at your sig line. Good grief. ROFL.

If you go around sporting such a signature, you are an extremist in MY book. :D

That's because you came under the influence of the world.

I am Christian for the same reason you aren't...as I grew in knowledge, I came to the ever increasing realization that there is no other explanation except the one that is in the Bible...and even more important, I came to the realization that prayers are answered, fully, and God is true and Christ is salvation.
No, I didn't come into influence of the world, I used my brain. I did NOT want to leave the religion, I had friends and a lifestyle to go with it. I had to be honest with myself and ask why I believed what I did.

Because it says so wasn't a good enough answer. Then adding up all the difficulties made it impossible to stay the course. I was not raised as a Christian, was 30 yo before taking the plunge.

My comment was a response to you saying my mind changed because of the world's influence. I didn't claim you had a defective brain, I said I used mine and reached my own conclusions.

Either Christianity is a faith or it isn't. You don't need faith if you have facts.
Wrong again. I have facts. I still have faith. I don't need it in the way you think. I choose it. That's what it's all about.

and yes, the world has led you astray. The bible deals pretty extensively with the phenomenon of worldliness and false knowledge. What you perceive is not what you think.
One of the most irritating thing about Christians is their propensity to lecture and condescend those that fail to agree with them. They'll even do it to other denominations.

Don't tell me what my mind is and how I arrived at my decisions. I am well familiar with the wordly term. Christians love to shame people for even thinking of using their own minds.

Christianity, like all religions, is a faith. Faith is what you need to believe things that are not based on fact. Facts don't happen simply because you believe them.

There's no record of all the dead people risen from the graves when Jesus died on the cross. No record of the temple drapes being ripped in half, no record of the Earthquake, eclipse. Jesus couldn't be bothered to write the most important message ever down.

Whoever wrote the books wrote them in Greek, not Aramaic. Neither Josephus or Philo wrote anything about this guy running around performing great miracles and they were prolific writers contemporary to the time.

In fact, reading Philo one can see how he was rethinking the Hebrew religion and putting a new age spin on it with the Greeks' Hellenized thought. Coined the term Logos and its' concept before the first NT books were written.

The Jews in the area were so Hellenized few even spoke Hebrew or Aramaic anymore and spoke Greek. Their Bible was an imperfect translation of the OT into Greek called the Pentateuch. Those errors found their way into the NT books as the old stories were rewritten for modern times.

Those are just a few problems off the top of my head. It requires too much faith for me to ignore them.
These for me are also reasons Christianity fell flat. The more I would research it and the more I came to understand my own heritage; it became apparent that I was attempting to shoehorn myself into a faith that was tailored by another folk, for another folk. Which fully explained the "struggle" to submit to the religion by suppressing the innate virtues and spiritual callings that come from within.

These for me are also reasons Christianity fell flat. The more I would research it and the more I came to understand my own heritage; it became apparent that I was attempting to shoehorn myself into a faith that was tailored by another folk, for another folk. Which fully explained the "struggle" to submit to the religion by suppressing the innate virtues and spiritual callings that come from within.

The whole concept is just too far "out there" for me to believe it. I might as well believe in vampires, ghosts, etc. Those stories are no more outrageously unbelievable.

I'm glad I did it too because what started our conversation was a discussion on the definition of sin which led to a discussion on the spirit of God being within us.

According to scripture, sin is disobedience to Mosaic law, nothing else. (1 John 3:4-10)

No one is born a sinner. A baby is a clean slate, their minds are defiled and contaminated up by adults who teach them to sin and then punish them for doing what is not sin.. What baby ever mutilated their own penis as a sign of dedication to God? What baby ever perjured themselves in the name of God? What baby ever perpetuated the lie that a person can become holy by eating or abstaining from certain foods?

I challenge you to find even one baby who would crawl up to the alter on their own and worship Jesus crackers, a particularly egregious and mortal sin..

If you would take an innocent and trusting child and then fill their head with completely irrational religiously addled bullshit that contradicts reality and then send them out into the world blinded, confused, and bordering on insanity then you are one fucked up individual who had better start praying that there is no God.

No one who sins and teaches other to do the same has the spirit of God within them.

Last edited:

What specifically is it about my signature line that makes you believe I am an extremist? What exactly are you taking exception with?

Well for one thing, I think that signature lines THAT long and boring are against the rules.

I'm glad I did it too because what started our conversation was a discussion on the definition of sin which led to a discussion on the spirit of God being within us.

According to scripture, sin is disobedience to Mosaic law, nothing else. (1 John 3:4-10)

No one is born a sinner. A baby is a clean slate, their minds are defiled and contaminated up by adults who teach them to sin and then punish them for doing what is not sin.. What baby ever mutilated their own penis? What baby ever lied in the name of God?

I challenge you to find even one baby who would crawl up to the alter on their own and worship Jesus crackers, a particularly egregious and mortal sin..

If you would take an innocent and trusting child and then fill their head with completely irrational religiously addled bullshit that contradicts reality and then send them out into the world blinded, confused, and bordering on insanity then you are one fucked up individual who had better start praying that there is no God.

No one who sins and teaches other to do the same has the spirit of God within them.
II. THE DEFINITION OF SIN

1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law."121

1850 Sin is an offense against God: "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight."122 Sin sets itself against God's love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become "like gods,"123 knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus "love of oneself even to contempt of God."124 In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.125

1851 It is precisely in the Passion, when the mercy of Christ is about to vanquish it, that sin most clearly manifests its violence and its many forms: unbelief, murderous hatred, shunning and mockery by the leaders and the people, Pilate's cowardice and the cruelty of the soldiers, Judas' betrayal - so bitter to Jesus, Peter's denial and the disciples' flight. However, at the very hour of darkness, the hour of the prince of this world,126 the sacrifice of Christ secretly becomes the source from which the forgiveness of our sins will pour forth inexhaustibly.

III. THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF SINS

1852 There are a great many kinds of sins. Scripture provides several lists of them. The Letter to the Galatians contrasts the works of the flesh with the fruit of the Spirit: "Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God."127

1853 Sins can be distinguished according to their objects, as can every human act; or according to the virtues they oppose, by excess or defect; or according to the commandments they violate. They can also be classed according to whether they concern God, neighbor, or oneself; they can be divided into spiritual and carnal sins, or again as sins in thought, word, deed, or omission. The root of sin is in the heart of man, in his free will, according to the teaching of the Lord: "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a man."128 But in the heart also resides charity, the source of the good and pure works, which sin wounds.

IV. THE GRAVITY OF SIN: MORTAL AND VENIAL SIN

1854 Sins are rightly evaluated according to their gravity. The distinction between mortal and venial sin, already evident in Scripture,129 became part of the tradition of the Church. It is corroborated by human experience.

1855 Mortal sin destroys charity in the heart of man by a grave violation of God's law; it turns man away from God, who is his ultimate end and his beatitude, by preferring an inferior good to him.

Venial sin allows charity to subsist, even though it offends and wounds it.

1856 Mortal sin, by attacking the vital principle within us - that is, charity - necessitates a new initiative of God's mercy and a conversion of heart which is normally accomplished within the setting of the sacrament of reconciliation:

When the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature incompatible with the charity that orients man toward his ultimate end, then the sin is mortal by its very object . . . whether it contradicts the love of God, such as blasphemy or perjury, or the love of neighbor, such as homicide or adultery. . . . But when the sinner's will is set upon something that of its nature involves a disorder, but is not opposed to the love of God and neighbor, such as thoughtless chatter or immoderate laughter and the like, such sins are venial.130
1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother."132 The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.

1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart133do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

1860 Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense. But no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man. The promptings of feelings and passions can also diminish the voluntary and free character of the offense, as can external pressures or pathological disorders. Sin committed through malice, by deliberate choice of evil, is the gravest.

1861 Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God's forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ's kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.

1862 One commits venial sin when, in a less serious matter, he does not observe the standard prescribed by the moral law, or when he disobeys the moral law in a grave matter, but without full knowledge or without complete consent.

1863 Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul's progress in the exercise of the virtues and the practice of the moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not break the covenant with God. With God's grace it is humanly reparable. "Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness."134

While he is in the flesh, man cannot help but have at least some light sins. But do not despise these sins which we call "light": if you take them for light when you weigh them, tremble when you count them. A number of light objects makes a great mass; a number of drops fills a river; a number of grains makes a heap. What then is our hope? Above all, confession.135
1864 "Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."136 There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.137 Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

V. THE PROLIFERATION OF SIN

1865 Sin creates a proclivity to sin; it engenders vice by repetition of the same acts. This results in perverse inclinations which cloud conscience and corrupt the concrete judgment of good and evil. Thus sin tends to reproduce itself and reinforce itself, but it cannot destroy the moral sense at its root.

1866 Vices can be classified according to the virtues they oppose, or also be linked to the capital sins which Christian experience has distinguished, following St. John Cassian and St. Gregory the Great. They are called "capital" because they engender other sins, other vices.138 They are pride, avarice, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, and sloth or acedia.

1867 The catechetical tradition also recalls that there are "sins that cry to heaven": the blood of Abel,139 the sin of the Sodomites,140 the cry of the people oppressed in Egypt,141 the cry of the foreigner, the widow, and the orphan,142 injustice to the wage earner.143

1868 Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

- by participating directly and voluntarily in them;

- by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them;

- by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so;

- by protecting evil-doers.

1869 Thus sin makes men accomplices of one another and causes concupiscence, violence, and injustice to reign among them. Sins give rise to social situations and institutions that are contrary to the divine goodness. "Structures of sin" are the expression and effect of personal sins. They lead their victims to do evil in their turn. In an analogous sense, they constitute a "social sin."144

IN BRIEF

1870 "God has consigned all men to disobedience, that he may have mercy upon all" (Rom 11:32).

1871 Sin is an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law (St. Augustine, Faust 22L 42, 418). It is an offense against God. It rises up against God in a disobedience contrary to the obedience of Christ.

1872 Sin is an act contrary to reason. It wounds man's nature and injures human solidarity.

1873 The root of all sins lies in man's heart. The kinds and the gravity of sins are determined principally by their objects.

1874 To choose deliberately - that is, both knowing it and willing it - something gravely contrary to the divine law and to the ultimate end of man is to commit a mortal sin. This destroys in us the charity without which eternal beatitude is impossible. Unrepented, it brings eternal death.

1875 Venial sin constitutes a moral disorder that is reparable by charity, which it allows to subsist in us.

1876 The repetition of sins - even venial ones - engenders vices, among which are the capital sins.

What specifically is it about my signature line that makes you believe I am an extremist? What exactly are you taking exception with?

Well for one thing, I think that signature lines THAT long and boring are against the rules.
That is your argument against it? That is why you believe it makes me an extremist?

1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law."121

1874 To choose deliberately - that is, both knowing it and willing it - something gravely contrary to the divine law and to the ultimate end of man is to commit a mortal sin. This destroys in us the charity without which eternal beatitude is impossible. Unrepented, it brings eternal death.

Damn! This is terrible news for you.

Damn! This is terrible news for you.
Probably so.

Forum List

Back